• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer!

All these YT videos are just money baiting for the creators who say nothing at all.
Not going to click.

Those 60 who voted 9Tflop, well done. 2070/1080 tier next gen consoles. Puke a little.
I sense PS5 Pro in 2 years time for Sony Mark to atone for their failures.

Relax, nothing has changed, no new info :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Some xbox fans had a chat, thats all.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It seems like alot of people are just speculating at this point (after watching the YT video).

I'm not really posting on this thread because

1. I'm waiting for official confirmation.
2. People are just going to continue to speculate.

People are doing this because you have many credible sources who are saying different things and people are just trying to connect the dots, and we don't know much until we get more information.

I posted on this thread for probably the first time a few days ago. I don't care which console is more powerful because

1) I own a PC so I don't really have much interest in an Xbox.
2) I played mostly Sony and Nintendo exclusives within the past 4 years, so I'm only interested in a PS5.

People generally want bragging rights and that's not what I'm here for.

Mass Shift

Interesting post from the other place

Sounds like a pretty reasonable theory/explanation. My main concern is that insiders/journalists that has spoken about PS5/XSX (even Jeff Gertsmann) said both consoles are close/identical in power.....which means one of the following:

1) Insiders/journalists that has given their insights are all wrong...and this is indeed the PS5 chip (without RT & VRS...lol)
2) XSX being double one X really means 12 TF GCN and it is really ~9 TF RDNA....which goes against what Windows Central and even Richard Leadbetter's sources....and goes into that stupid mumbo jumbo flop conversion even though we're dealing with RDNA
3) Oberon/Ariel chips are old...which explains missing features and clocked so high...aka the post above

I don't know....number 3 sounds the most plausible to me.

Number 3? It's getting way too late for that. It would be very costly and risky to have numerous fabs of unproven/untested silicon out there. I'm not saying it isn't possible, just that you wouldn't have other or better fabs just hanging in the wings waiting to succeed each other. They would all get tested at the same time. If there were other engineering samples out there better than Oberon/Ariel they would have surfaced by now.

-kb-

Number 3? It's getting way too late for that. It would be very costly and risky to have numerous fabs of unproven/untested silicon out there. I'm not saying it isn't possible, just that you wouldn't have other or better fabs just hanging in the wings waiting to succeed each other. They would all get tested at the same time. If there were other engineering samples out there better than Oberon/Ariel they would have surfaced by now.

Where is the proof that Ariel/Oberon is actively been fabricated or used at the moment?.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
All these YT videos are just money baiting for the creators who say nothing at all.
Not going to click.

Those 60 who voted 9Tflop, well done. 2070/1080 tier next gen consoles. Puke a little.
I sense PS5 Pro in 2 years time for Sony Mark to atone for their failures.
lol

9.2 tflops would be worse than a 2070 btw. the 9.75 5700xt is on par with the 2070. 2060 super in consoles. just enough power to run control at 720p checkerboard.

Then it is getting way too late for hardware RT, which was already verified by Sony & VRS (which isn't verified but likely). Jason Schreier & Tom Warren also stated Sony's is much further along with their devkits, which coincides the delayed 2019 rumors.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Where is the proof that Ariel/Oberon is actively been fabricated or used at the moment?.

Alright if I go by that logic then Ariel/Oberon have just been place holders for something else? Alright then, if Sony is holding back some other APU for the PS5 then I guess they are.

Bryank75

Banned
If anyone is interested in spawn wave podcast they have an industry insider and he says the Oberon leaks are not the final ps5 .

he mentioned ps5 and xsx are literally same power with the Edge to ps5(exactly what Klee said )

Starts at minute 3

interesting 🧐

Was just watching, nearly every leak has confirmed the same thing.... it's just a few people hoping the PS5 is less powerful that believed anything else.

Both groups should be happy that they are close in power. It pushes gaming as a whole forward and gives devs that extra power to add more ideas and try more things.

Aceofspades

Banned
If anyone is interested in spawn wave podcast they have an industry insider and he says the Oberon leaks are not the final ps5 .

he mentioned ps5 and xsx are literally same power with the Edge to ps5(exactly what Klee said )

Starts at minute 3

interesting 🧐

He said info circulating is not accurate, and when asked if PS5 is between 10-10.5TF he said a little higher than that. He seemed definite with his statements too.

I hope Sony would reveal PS5 soon so all this spinning stops.

Edit: I find it extremely hard to believe that PS5 will end up with only 36Cus?! Sony knows that Xbox one X has release with 40Cus in 2017, Scarlett will definitely be higher than that so what is the thinking process of limiting yourself to 36? It just doesn't make sense at all.

My explanation for these high clocked kits by Sony is Sony has been the very first to develop Navi with AMD as a project for PS5, they set the targets and started experimenting with GCN kits while modifying the chips throughout the process and improving the architecture, that's why we have tons of chip codenames for PS5 . The reason for clocking those chips very high is to capture similar performance of higher CUs targets (not ready at the time) , and now those dataminers had these old info and started leaking them to public .

Just an observation on this conflicting reports.

Last edited:

FranXico

Starts at 28:30

interesting 🧐

Who is this Nate guy? He outright said the information is innacurate.

Who is this Nate guy? He outright said the information is innacurate.
industry insider . Spawn wave has gotten few things correct because of him in his previous videos way in advance.

might be Sony is testing 2ghz for boost mode backward compatibility.data is not incorrect but it might be out of context

Last edited:

Ovech-King

2) XSX being double one X really means 12 TF GCN and it is really ~9 TF RDNA....which goes against what Windows Central and even Richard Leadbetter's sources....and goes into that stupid mumbo jumbo flop conversion even though we're dealing with RDNA

I think this is what is going on. Scarlett twice as fast as the X (2017) is that RDNA 9-10 figure in reality . Expectations are slowly starting to get more secured i think. Maybe the extra performance mentioned on the ps5 devkit is actually boosted by the SSD / ram system?

I think this is what is going on. Scarlett twice as fast as the X (2017) is that RDNA 9-10 figure in reality . Expectations are slowly starting to get more secured i think. Maybe the extra performance mentioned on the ps5 devkit is actually boosted by the SSD / ram system?
I believe Klee and he confirmed it’s 12.08 rdna TF .

also Phil wouldn’t just retweet gamespot article where it mentions 12 Navi tf. Do you know the back lash if it’s inaccurate ?

to me xsx is 12 Navi TF

FranXico

XSX being double one X really means 12 TF GCN and it is really ~9 TF RDNA....which goes against what Windows Central and even Richard Leadbetter's sources....and goes into that stupid mumbo jumbo flop conversion even though we're dealing with RDNA
I would say maybe around 10 if that were the case. And Richard's "source" is WC. He at least tried to get an official confirmation from MS and there actually was none. Looks like MS is ok with letting people's assumptions run wild, without commiting to anything. Which is par de course in these things, of course.

One theory guys :

oberon and Ariel are the backward compatibility samples for ps5 .for normal games(ps4) , pro games and pro games with boost to 2 ghz(native clock).to test BC for the main unit which will run at 2 ghz.

just a theory

and ps5 is another chip that we don’t know or know but assumed it’s something else

Last edited:
I'll just assume the PS5 is 9TF until official word is out. That way I can't be disappointed no matter what.
That’s a great approach . Have low expectations.
If ps5 is stronger than 9 TF then this old leak just made Sony ps meeting in feb 10x more impressive. Haha good for Sony in that case

I would say maybe around 10 if that were the case. And Richard's "source" is WC. He at least tried to get an official confirmation from MS and there actually was none. Looks like MS is ok with letting people's assumptions run wild, without commiting to anything. Which is par de course in these things, of course.
Richard said his other sources line up with 12 tflop rdna, just not WC. My own sources which i sent to mod of war also indicate 12 NAVI tflop. Explicitly asked and answered.

Richard said his other sources line up with 12 tflop rdna, just not WC. My own sources which i sent to mod of war also indicate 12 NAVI tflop. Explicitly asked and answered.
abit off topic but :

It’s funny that everyone was this confused and yet Klee (person who many including yourself discredit ) was the first one that said I have the spec sheet and it’s 12 Navi TF one hour after conference where everyone was saying it’s equivalent to 12 gcn tf in the forum and he was the only one who went against the crowd.

abit off topic but :

It’s funny that everyone was this confused and yet Klee (person who many including yourself discredit ) was the first one that said I have the spec sheet and it’s 12 Navi TF one hour after conference where everyone was saying it’s equivalent to 12 gcn tf in the forum and he was the only one who went against the crowd.
Thats a bit off topic. Klee has gotten some stuff right, some wrong, but not apart of this discussion. Is it navi 12? The answer is yes. No gcn etc. really we should all agree thats the tflops both Sony and Xbox are using w/ these consoles

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Thats a bit off topic. Klee has gotten some stuff right, some wrong, but not apart of this discussion. Is it navi 12? The answer is yes. No gcn etc. really we should all agree thats the tflops both Sony and Xbox are using w/ these consoles

I think it was only Lockhart he admits to not knowing about but even stinkles knows nothing about it.

That’s all I’m aware of, I don’t think anything else has come to pass has it?
Info also submitted to mod of war shows lockhart. Lockharts a go, when you see series, thats first hint. So he def was wrong on that. He said ps5 slightly more powerful, i think we can kinda say thats in major jeopardy right now so that be another thing he was wrong about. Anyway tho, no one is perfect, but we can choose to believe in who want to i guess.

Info also submitted to mod of war shows lockhart. Lockharts a go, when you see series, thats first hint. So he def was wrong on that. He said ps5 slightly more powerful, i think we can kinda say thats in major jeopardy right now so that be another thing he was wrong about. Anyway tho, no one is perfect, but we can choose to believe in who want to i guess.
It’s not just Klee though. Reiner , Colin , Jason and Klee all said the same thing and no body has challenged that Other than few MS pr which did the same thing last gen about x1 being stronger console . Albert penlleo on this very forum said MS would not allow Sony to have the upper hand and they will be better than ps4 come launch and we saw how that turned out .
If this is leak is accurate and representative of final ps5and ps5 is 9.2 TF, MS would have been screaming like they did with xb1x that they r the most powerful in the world lol and not the most powerful Xbox .(they did it in 2018 e3 but from e3 2019 that changed to strongest Xbox )

anyways we will see in feb 2020 . Not much left

Last edited:
It’s not just Klee though. Reiner , Colin , Jason and Klee all said the same thing and no body has challenged that Other than few MS pr which did the same thing last gen about x1 being stronger console . Albert penlleo on this very forum said MS would not allow Sony to have the upper hand and they will be better than ps4 come launch and we saw how that turned out .
If this is leak is accurate and representative of final ps5and ps5 is 9.2 TF, MS would have been screaming like they did with xb1x that they r the most powerful in the world lol and not the most powerful Xbox .(they did it in 2018 e3 but from e3 2019 that changed to strongest Xbox )

Sony wont say its tflop count in feb. Xbox already said that they are looking to be performant leader again, it’s something they look to extend. Its cat and mouse game right now but i think based on what we know, its kinda obvious where this is all going. Dont know why alberts being brought up, was talking about Klee. AP works for Amazon.

All Sony leaked codenames are characters from Shakespear (Gonzalo, Oberon, Ariel, Flute), Arden is not.

Orban and Ariel have same BC - same Sony PS4/Pro clocks, they are the same chip.

Arden and Sparkman have Xbox BC.

Its not attack on Sony. Its just some poor soul putting incredibly sensitive internal test info in public (happened last time as well).

In any case both consoles are 90% known now.
Arden is Shakespeares complete works. It could be the final version of PS5. Are you sure Arden has BC with Xbox? Do you have a source for that?

Sony wont say its tflop count in feb. Xbox already said that they are looking to be performant leader again, it’s something they look to extend. Its cat and mouse game right now but i think based on what we know, its kinda obvious where this is all going. Dont know why alberts being brought up, was talking about Klee. AP works for Amazon.
I said penello in 2013 when he was working for MS not now . Reason I brough it up is people related to a company will always say their product is better but people like Reiner and Jason etc.. have no horse in this and get info from 3rd parties which tends to know both. Only people who have countered Klee and Reiner etc.. are people that work closely to MS like Tom and klobe just like what happened in 2013.

Anyways if Sony is confident in their specs they might reveal it. Just like they revealed ps4 specs ahead of Xbox 1 specs in 2013.we shall see.

Last edited:

12Dannu123

The 36CU GPU is the best that Sony could have done unless they dropped BC or gone for 72CUS GPU. First one is PR nightmare, the 2nd would be $599+ console.

Can going 72CU still maintain compatibility? I doubt it. I though that metal programming is developed specifically for those instructions and anything that is different will break compatibility.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure Albert started that "there is no way we are giving up 40% to the PS4." Not that they would exceed them. His statement is debatable but there is a big difference.

I said penello in 2013 when he was working for MS not now . Reason I brough it up is people related to a company will always say their product is better but people like Reiner and Jason etc.. have no horse in this and get info from 3rd parties which tends to know both. Only people who have countered Klee and Reiner etc.. are people that work closely to MS like Tom and klobe .

Anyways if Sony is confident in their specs they might reveal it. Just like they revealed ps4 specs ahead of Xbox 1 specs in 2013.we shall see.
I think they wont talk in tflop terms. Im wondering if xbox will do the same. I think one will claim performance leader, but i just think ppl like us still will be wondering and digging even after reveals. Will be interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure Albert started that "there is no way we are giving up 40% to the PS4." Not that they would exceed them. His statement is debatable but there is a big difference.
He is much maligned here for that, but i think he was talking in terms of fidelity. Maybe was trying to make the best out of a bad situation. Albert is awesome person tho, and a asset to Amazon. I think they will be very interesting when they get into this gaming space

I think they wont talk in tflop terms. Im wondering if xbox will do the same. I think one will claim performance leader, but i just think ppl like us still will be wondering and digging even after reveals. Will be interesting.
That would be new to give zero specs before pre orders go up but I guess could happen. Sony ps meeting is probably feb so soon we will know but I hope to god they don’t do that . Just put us all out of this endless stupid conversation haha

Richard said this and that was his last statement in DF video recently. Richard didn't said it is 12 TFLOPS RDNA ( around 6:30)

hsXp28c.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom