• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people on Reera are really beyond help with their delusional fanfiction. GundamKyoukai, Manfred, Sangreal, M.bluth and a few others are trying so hard to discredit that AMD internal testing documentation leaks.

Fortunately, there are still users with sanity there like Duke blue, EagonSnake, VX1, Andromeda, and a few others.

Some people on Reera are really beyond help with their delusional fanfiction. GundamKyoukai, Manfred, Sangreal, M.bluth and a few others are trying so hard to discredit that AMD internal testing documentation leaks.

Fortunately, there are still users with sanity there like Duke blue, EagonSnake, VX1, Andromeda, and a few others.

Docs are legit, but OLD. +7 months old

No body is discrediting the docs but they could be old , they could be out of context . Nothing is confirmed about any of them . They could be backward compatibility test kits ,etc...

U seem disgruntled.why does it hurt ur emotions? Weird to go and stuck people like that and bring that here

bitbydeath

Gold Member

You should just wait for the official word before jumping to conclusions.

sinnergy

Docs are legit, but OLD. +7 months old
Yes , because these chips don’t magically appear, there is years of work in them and money, so you test early, that’s why it looks like the power envelope is indeed true, around 10 for PS5 and 12 for Xbox, and with only a year out you can’t really change that. Well you could always delay for half a year or year , if you made this decision more than a year ago.

Last edited:
Yes , because these chips don’t magically appear, there is years of work in them and money, so you test early, that’s why it looks like the power envelope is indeed true, around 10 for PS5 and 12 for Xbox, and with only a year out you can’t really change that.
Non of the chips that are launching from amd in 2020
Have been leaked yet . So your explanation doesn’t work. If a chip hasn’t been leaked yet doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Otherwise amd has nothing for 2020

Yes , because these chips don’t magically appear, there is years of work in them and money, so you test early, that’s why it looks like the power envelope is indeed true, around 10 for PS5 and 12 for Xbox, and with only a year out you can’t really change that.
Some people even speculating about secret chip within 1 year lol.

Some people even speculating about secret chip within 1 year lol.
Again u r being obtuse on purpose . No one is saying amd can make a chip from zero in a year BUT if a chip hasn’t been leaked it doesn’t mean it does not exist. For all we know oberon is part of ps5 and the full chip is called something else and hasn’t been found yet just like non of big amd cards have been leaked even though they r launching in 2020

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Yes , because these chips don’t magically appear, there is years of work in them and money, so you test early, that’s why it looks like the power envelope is indeed true, around 10 for PS5 and 12 for Xbox, and with only a year out you can’t really change that. Well you could always delay for half a year or year , if you made this decision more than a year ago.

Perhaps that’s why they went with a dual gpu setup. Once the complete RDNA2 GPU arrives they can then shift back to one.

Yeah, yeah! Fell from +13 TF target specs to 9.2 TF. That's over 40% in GPU power. FACT is data info are OLD. + 7 months OLD.
Secret chip doesn't magically appear at late development cycle. There wasn't much change from 2018 to 2019 chip in the internal test documents.

Last edited:
Secret chip doesn't magically appear at late development cycle. There wasn't much change from 2018 to 2019 chip.

Docs also showed that RT doens't exist in PS5, yet it was confirmed directly by Cerny it will be on GPU. Somehow RT magically appeared late in development cycle. Just like that.

So, you believe more Penello on this one, but not Cerny. Got it!

Last edited:
Thats a bit off topic. Klee has gotten some stuff right, some wrong, but not apart of this discussion. Is it navi 12? The answer is yes. No gcn etc. really we should all agree thats the tflops both Sony and Xbox are using w/ these consoles

Info also submitted to mod of war shows lockhart. Lockharts a go, when you see series, thats first hint. So he def was wrong on that. He said ps5 slightly more powerful, i think we can kinda say thats in major jeopardy right now so that be another thing he was wrong about. Anyway tho, no one is perfect, but we can choose to believe in who want to i guess.

Sony wont say its tflop count in feb. Xbox already said that they are looking to be performant leader again, it’s something they look to extend. Its cat and mouse game right now but i think based on what we know, its kinda obvious where this is all going. Dont know why alberts being brought up, was talking about Klee. AP works for Amazon.

I think they wont talk in tflop terms. Im wondering if xbox will do the same. I think one will claim performance leader, but i just think ppl like us still will be wondering and digging even after reveals. Will be interesting.

Oh my, oh my. Suddenly changing the tone. What for? You wanted Klee to be banned, claimed that XSX WILL BE THE MOST POWERFUL.

Xbox Series X, will have most powerful console I believe for best multiplats, Halo, Hellblade 2, best racing games by far, more variety as it has games like SOT, SOD2, Halo, crossbuy, more for gamer with Xbox gamepass. Now Xbox got the show, essentially a huge reason I have every bought into Sony eco. Will be hard pressed for me to buy into Sony. Maybe if they pull a rabbit out of hat and are more powerful. Otherwise for me, its Xbox

Klee should be banned here & while has gotten some things right, he been wrong too. For a guy to say i have specs and leave for 24 hours is very suspect. He is full of shit as i have been told too by ppl who are in the know

So you dont care but have a problem that i been consistent in saying Xbox will be the most power. Look up my post history, look up yours.

You sure about that? All i said is Xbox will be more powerful and yiu seem to know alot about me? I know nothing about you.

Thanks for knowing of me and the history here speaks for itself too right. Sorry brother that I think Xbox is more powerful and i have clued this forum into that very days before when we were on 10.24 tflop lol. Appreciate the follow

Same words Bish used to use persecution complex etxc. You yourself said you talked about me here and im a meme etc. i guess you dont think of things you write. Also if you dont care and get a pc lol why you here religiously. Lets be real. You dont like me because im a xbox fan, and i said xbox was more power, stayed consistent, Actually gave the forum some info about the leakss 2 days before, meanwhile you had your hopes high from a guy thats not even from this forum feeding you bullshit. Take care now

Just so you know jez not only had superb sources, but i know of like 3 other sources that all believe this. Tom Warren is one, the others well lets just say they are even better than Tom. So yeah I think i stayed strong and never waiver on most powerful console next gen. Xbox

It’s not just Klee though. Reiner , Colin , Jason and Klee all said the same thing and no body has challenged that Other than few MS pr which did the same thing last gen about x1 being stronger console . Albert penlleo on this very forum said MS would not allow Sony to have the upper hand and they will be better than ps4 come launch and we saw how that turned out .
If this is leak is accurate and representative of final ps5and ps5 is 9.2 TF, MS would have been screaming like they did with xb1x that they r the most powerful in the world lol and not the most powerful Xbox .(they did it in 2018 e3 but from e3 2019 that changed to strongest Xbox )

anyways we will see in feb 2020 . Not much left
The most accurate leak, was back in early 2019. It had all the details now accepted for Anaconda and Lockhart, and it had PS5 specs. As the Xbox specs were 100% on the ball all the way back then before anyone else was saying it, good chance the PS5 specs leaked then were correct.

Last edited:
The most accurate leak, was back in early 2019. It had all the details now accepted for Anaconda and Lockhart, and it had PS5 specs. As the Xbox specs were 100% on the ball all the way back then before anyone else was saying it, good chance the PS5 specs leaked then were correct.
I dont agree with that. They get one right and the other one incorrect. If a dev in naughty dog leaks ps5 devkit specs and xsx detail ,his ps5 details will be spot on but his xsx detail will be based on what they believe is the most likely scenario and not based on real info.

Last edited:
All this smug tomfoolery is just asking for reality to come and slap you back down.
I would avoid making grandiose pronouncements about how right you are and how wrong everyone else is.

I don't even know why people do it. What's to gain from it? Are people's identities that strongly tied to a consumer electronics company? Do you have wagers or bets?

I dont agree with that. They get one right and the other one incorrect. If a dev in naughty dog leaks ps5 devkit specs and xsx detail ,his ps5 details will be spot on but his xsx detail will be based on what they believe is the most likely scenario and not based on real info.
What this was saying back then is exactly where we are now.
XSX 12xtflops
Lockhart 4tflops
PS5 8-10tflops.

Last edited:

DJ12

Any one here during 2012-2013? This all should be familiar scene right now if you were.
Bit of a difference between a test done several months ago, at least, that we have no context for other than some information Komachi may have found, made up or saw 2+2 and filled in the gaps to make 10 and superdae hacking Sony and getting an actual Xbox Dev kit.

Ymmv though

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
What this was saying back then is exactly where we are now.
XSX 12xtflops
Lockhart 4tflops
PS5 8-10tflops.
This is not it chief . This is taken from an actual leak in feburary 2019 from a french tech magazine with those exact details for xsx and they never mentioned ps5 there . This site just took that amd slapped a 8 TF ps5 to it without any context .sorry we agree to disagree here

ProPsx

Neo Member
Hello everybody,
I read you for a long time and I think that too few people here think of 2 different PS5 for the day of its release.
I actually think PS5 between 8 and 9 TF at a price of € 399 if microsoft is 12TF at € 499.
I think a much more muscular PS5 will also come out and at a much more expensive price!
Sony has indicated on several occasions that it wanted to make a PS5 for the Hardcore Gamers but also to make Playstation a luxury brand and that it wanted to avoid losing customers to the PC.

So my prediction is a double Apu PS5 Pro!
2x 36UC at 1750Mhz ~ 16TF with a dedicated RTX chip. A price of 699 or 799 €, the customer would have the choice and this will allow sony to maximize the negotiation of the price of the Apu to AMD with a larger quantity and to have a better price.
All this will remain effectively invisible because only the leak of an APU 36UC would be visible. this is only my feeling and can be a dream but sincerely for that I pay 799 € without problems.
In addition there was recently this fake news of PS5 at 1000 € that Sony denied but there is no smoke without fire.
They denied the price but not the second PS5 and a price of 799 € is not that of 1000 €. No chance that Sony will release a much less powerful console than Microsoft.
They know that they won the gen with this advantage of power and later with their IP. They would not have shifted their PS5 from 2019 to come and rub with Microsoft in 2020 and be ridiculed with less good hardware.

The financial health of the entire company is at stake. Playstation is the lung of Sony!
This may be a Fanboy speech, but I don't see any other possible alternative.

Sorry for my text in english it is the translator who converts my words :)

Bit of a difference between a test done several months ago, at least, that we have no context for other than some information Komachi may have found, made up or saw 2+2 and filled in the gaps to make 10 and superdae hacking Sony and getting an actual Xbox Dev kit.

Ymmv though
Exactly . In 2012 june we had actual specs leaked for both from third parties .we dont have that now

R600

Banned
The documentation shows that the PS5 GPU has both 448GB/s and ~550GB/s of bandwidth, which one is it?, and if it's the 550GB/s number why does it have so much more bandwidth per FLOP than the XSEX?.
Because 18Gbps chips from Samsung are only available since March? Because faster chips are literally the easiest thing to change? How are you gonna change TFs when chip is 36CUs already? Its over, you need completely new silicon, thats why they clocked it at 2.0GHZ.

And I dont get this "secret gpu" stuff. If that were truth, is it true for MS as well and tests for Arden/Sparkman are just for lolz?

Mass Shift

I for one don't think Klee should be banned, even in the event his assertions about specs turn out to be dramatically different from final silicon. Give him the opportunity to explain himself and/or move on.

THE:MILKMAN

Any one here during 2012-2013? This all should be familiar scene right now if you were.

Yep. I went back and looked at the old next-gen thread at B3D in December 2012 (equivalent to today in the lead-up) and it is like déjà vu. I'm sure the same thread here in 2012/13 is similar too (I remember some of it). The amazing thing is we had the full legit specs in June 2012 and I, you and a few others accepted/expected those specs but a lot, even on a proper tech site, were believing/expecting unrealistic specs!

Oh well. I would've been fine with 9.2TF but none of the insiders seem moved after GitHub-gate and stick to PS5 being slight above XSX. This will cause even more ructions if it gets confirmed at reveal time.

R600

Banned
Its 2017, you are designing a console. Single SKU. TDP limit is 220W, more then PS3, especially PRO and 4. You need to take care of BC as well, therefore CUs have to match.

Do you go with :

Chip1 2.0GHZ 36CU 9.2TF
Chip2 1.5GHZ 56CU 10.7TF

?

Chip 1 will be smaller, easier to produce and easier to get even smaller when new node becomes available.

Chip 2 will have more TF.

Which do you chose? If you chose Chip2, you will get 15% more TF and 35% less pixel fillrate and worse geometry perf.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Because 18Gbps chips from Samsung are only available since March? Because faster chips are literally the easiest thing to change? How are you gonna change TFs when chip is 36CUs already? Its over, you need completely new silicon, thats why they clocked it at 2.0GHZ.

And I dont get this "secret gpu" stuff. If that were truth, is it true for MS as well and tests for Arden/Sparkman are just for lolz?

There’s nothing secret about the AMD document stating two GPU’s having been tested.

-kb-

So the PS5 has 30% more bandwidth per FLOP then the XBSEX for no apparent reason whatsoever?.

R600

Banned
So the PS5 has 30% more bandwidth per FLOP then the XBSEX for no apparent reason whatsoever?.
...it doesnt? PS5 on 256bit bus can have at most 576GB/s, while XSX can have 720GB/s on 320bit bus. If they use 14Gbps, then yes, PS5 will have more BW per TF

I'm a programmer and as soon as word got out about the recent leak coming from a GitHub repo, I found it easily and just downloaded it fully.

I looked at the code and it seems legit, specially due to some AMD e-mails and mentions of real AMD engineers there. Plus, read a bunch of analysis made by other people and the things people are saying are really there.

But I find hard to believe that someone would simply push those things in a public repository. Not only that, but with a LOT of random shit that have nothing to do with the project, like some sort of shopping list and a resumée, commits commented with only "kkkkk" and all. It's waaaaay too much unprofessional.

Seems hard to believe that such a sensitive data would simply be in the hands of the poor sap that did this.

To me, the data is real, but I think it's possible it doesn't reflect necessarily the real PS5.

I'm a programmer and as soon as word got out about the recent leak coming from a GitHub repo, I found it easily and just downloaded it fully.

I looked at the code and it seems legit, specially due to some AMD e-mails and mentions of real AMD engineers there. Plus, read a bunch of analysis made by other people and the things people are saying are really there.

But I find hard to believe that someone would simply push those things in a public repository. Not only that, but with a LOT of random shit that have nothing to do with the project, like some sort of shopping list and a resumée, commits commented with only "kkkkk" and all. It's waaaaay too much unprofessional.

Seems hard to believe that such a sensitive data would simply be in the hands of the poor sap that did this.

To me, the data is real, but I think it's possible it doesn't reflect necessarily the real PS5.
Thanks for the post . Yea it looks really bad on AMD that these were leaked like that. I have a question fir you .could oberon be the BC test units kept at 36 cu for BC purpose? Something about this chip seems off.it has no vrs, no raytracing etc... i mean if sony is gonna use this chip why are they not laumching in 2019 ?everythung would have been ready for 2019 launch

Fitzchiv

Cerny confirmed Ray tracing properties on ps5 hardware, só It doesnt look like a mere software simulation at ALL, and It needs a good hw, powerfull enough to support It.

My take is that everything surrounding ps5 is confusing to make It mysterious, Very hard to guess. Theres a reason why we still have no fucking idea about the memory ram

"A wizard did it"

nowhat

commits commented with only "kkkkk" and all. It's waaaaay too much unprofessional.
I'm a programmer too (I work for a very small company though, so things can be more chaotic than in a large corporation), and while I mostly try to write sensible commit messages (like $CLIENT-$ISSUE: $EXPLANATION_OF_WHAT_IS_BEING_COMMITED), especially for clients I basically take care of myself alone there can be many commits which are just "prkl" (which is shorthand for "perkele", perhaps the best Finnish swear word). For stupid things like forgetting to commit one file more, or having a typo somewhere.

For a company size of AMD, one should expect more professionalism, no question. But having nonsensical commit messages is hardly unheard of. (this is not to say anything about the validity of that GitHub data, just a general observation)

...oooh, but I just thought of something. What company bought GitHub a little while back? It's tinfoil hat time!

This is not it chief . This is taken from an actual leak in feburary 2019 from a french tech magazine with those exact details for xsx and they never mentioned ps5 there . This site just took that amd slapped a 8 TF ps5 to it without any context .sorry we agree to disagree here
With the Twitter posts been deleted and also the documents that were online, its pretty safe to say there is some truth to the PS 5 stuff.
If there were a betting market for this it would be odds on.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
With the Twitter posts been deleted and also the documents that were online, its pretty safe to say there is some truth to the PS 5 stuff.

Not necessarily, AMD would be interested in taking it down even if it weren’t PS5 related.

-kb-

To be fair the leaks contained usersnames and passwords for internal AMD systems as well as information about other AMD products not just PS5 and XBSEX. The first is enough to take it done ASAP.

Reactions: TLZ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom