• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Jesus you are brainlet.

Well can you explain why there are two active GPU’s (Ariel and Oberon).

Both have been undergoing testing for over a year.

Neither are RT compliant and both are still on Navi10?

And why is AMD still testing hardware that was already handed over to Sony and knowingly out with devs?

R600

Banned
Yeah i struck me also very late i must admit - in the aftermath of this Attack against Sony it came clear that Arden actually is also connected to that whole bunch of Shakespear Codenames. obviosly not fitting with the Theory that those where Sony only related, when i real it was all about AMDs own codenames for their Products (wich may still include some of the APIs from Console manufacturers)
All Sony leaked codenames are characters from Shakespear (Gonzalo, Oberon, Ariel, Flute), Arden is not.

Orban and Ariel have same BC - same Sony PS4/Pro clocks, they are the same chip.

Arden and Sparkman have Xbox BC.

Its not attack on Sony. Its just some poor soul putting incredibly sensitive internal test info in public (happened last time as well).

In any case both consoles are 90% known now.

* 16GB GDDR6 14Gbps RAM ("for games") working in 16bit dual channel mode - total 448GB/s bandwidth

Why would they go for clamshell mode when they could just get 8x 2GB chips on a 256-bit bus and hit around that same bandwidth (GDDR6 chips clocked at 1.75GHz for 448GB/s bandwith, ; they could get Samsung 2GHz chips and just downclock them)?

...and that's assuming these latest leaks are even still valid, mind you.

Very wild speculation here, but what if those two are in the PS5 running at different speeds? Didn't we have two in the Pro iirc? So one is 36CU @2ghz (9.2tf), while the other 36CU @0.9ghz (4.1tf) for BC. Can this a possibility? That would bring the total to 13.3tf. Maybe this is why we have a V shape?

Just throwing ideas out there.

This is bordering "hidden dGPU in power brick" levels of speculation that some people did with XBO at the start of this gen, though.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Still waiting on your response.
Im not responding to you because for 6-7 months you are just not listening. Every info is there, you just chose to ignore it.

Rogame tells you 18WGPs (1WGP = 2CU) and what do you make of it? 72CUs! Lol you are beyond help, its just a waste of time my man and sorry, I dont really want or need to prove you a thing. Entire thing is now out there...no need for Gonzalos, Flutes etc. its there.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Im not responding to you because for 6-7 months you are just not listening. Every info is there, you just chose to ignore it.

Rogame tells you 18WGPs (1WGP = 2CU) and what do you make of it? 72CUs! Lol you are beyond help, its just a waste of time my man and sorry, I dont really want or need to prove you a thing. Entire thing is now out there...no need for Gonzalos, Flutes etc. its there.

You are wrong and don’t want to admit it even though the proof is all there.

I don’t believe in 72CU’s that’s part of what makes this all fake.

Last edited:

xool

Why would they go for clamshell mode when they could just get 8x 2GB chips on a 256-bit bus and hit around that same bandwidth (GDDR6 chips clocked at 1.75GHz for 448GB/s bandwith, ; they could get Samsung 2GHz chips and just downclock them)?

Not clamshell, literal dual-port (dual channel) per chip - two address buses per chip
Some details in :

New feature not in GDDR5 (they also support clamshell , see p.10) (and there's also pseudo-channel mode that looks/operates like GDDR5X standard)

Last edited:
Silly? Not really. In the gen before this one thats exactly what happened. IBM chips, with Nvidia GPUs on PS3, and IBM and AMD on the 360.
Intel chips are still better for gaming than AMD, and Nvidia make better GPUs. I think both companies would do the best deals they could to get the console business away from AMD.

It's not so much that Intel and Nvidia's products are "better" than AMD's (particularly nowadays), but moreso that Intel and Nvidia have better means (financially) to incentivize developers to optimize for their APIs over AMD's.

We see this on PCs all the time on the GPU side, so when you get the rouge game or two that actually perform better with AMD cards, it's because Nvidia wasn't able to incentivize them financially (and/or that developer decided to prioritize compatibility with AMD's APIs in spite of Nvidia's marketshare...which is what they mainly use to incentivize developers to optimize for their parts).

Proelite

Sparkman has BC mode for XO:

Arden? idk, linked to Oberon (GitHub leak, Komachi source??)

"It was a typo mistake in config file that caused Arden tests results to show up in one of the files."

yep.

TLZ

Banned
You refuse to accept the truth. PS5 is a 9.2TF hardware.

See you at launch :pie_roffles:
Well, I want both to be north of 12tf. If one is less and is single digit, I'd be disappointed. But I'd still accept it and move on.

I'm still holding on tight to my dream! #Beliebe

This is bordering "hidden dGPU in power brick" levels of speculation that some people did with XBO at the start of this gen, though.
I'm not saying it's some super hidden secret power, at all. I'm clearly saying it's a 2nd one, or maybe a butterfly mode like the Pro's 18+18 is what I mean. Instead here it's 36+36? Just trying to make sense of the leaks.

xool

Yeah, him removing tweets removed the copy of the repository from my SDD!

Also removed 36CU Oberon from existence. Everyone can wake up now.
Have you got the bit where it says Arden (or whatever) is 56 CUs . because I've yet to see it .. and would like to ..

I'm not saying it's some super hidden secret power, at all. I'm clearly saying it's a 2nd one, or maybe a butterfly mode like the Pro's 18+18 is what I mean. Instead here it's 36+36? Just trying to make sense of the leaks.

Wasn't it already determined the PS5 we've seen so far is a dev kit and the V was for docking the units? In any case, I don't see a point to such a setup because that would introduce issues with latency potentially I'd assume; how would the two halves be connected together, through a card edge connection? Which one would be seen as the daughtercard? How would video output be handled? Would the HDMI output be on one of the PCBs or the other, or a third PCB that the other two cards multiplex a connection to?

Just doesn't sound like a sensible design IMO, but I could be wrong.

Not clamshell, literal dual-port (dual channel) per chip - two address buses per chip
Some details in :

New feature not in GDDR5 (they also support clamshell , see p.10) (and there's also pseudo-channel mode that looks/operates like GDDR5X standard)

Thanks for the clarification, I'll give that a look.

Nothing because it’s all fake.

Dunno; the fact these are the only leaks that've been removed kind of lends them some credibility . We know a lot of the other rumors could be fake as well but they're still readily out here for people to find.

In any case, I'm preparing myself for a reality where those latest leaks are possibly factual. Doesn't really affect me much tho :S

xool

3584 ops/clck/sim32.

3584/64 sim32 per CU = 56 CUs.

Arden native tab in cases for ariel and navi.xlsm

ok wow. that's a lot of CUs.

From the look of the box they've got (built to cool) they could patch a clock uptick (PSU permitting) and beat the fuck out of Sony. .. if they don't just do it at launch.

Is there an alternative world explanation where Arden isn't next gen related ???

Proelite

ok wow. that's a lot of CUs.

From the look of the box they've got (built to cool) they could patch a clock uptick (PSU permitting) and beat the fuck out of Sony. .. if they don't just do it at launch.

Is there an alternative world explanation where Arden isn't next gen related ???

It has BC with Xb1 and Xb1x according to the files.

I would need someone else to provide the explanation since I don't do conspiracy theories.

Last edited:

xool

I would need someone else to provide the explanation since I don't do conspiracy theories.
Yeah. I'm actually having a little trouble wrapping my head around the facts - specifically 56 vs 32 CUs thing ,, maybe it'll make sense when I see the PRICE of the MS machine ..

..we also had that China/Taiwan BB leak about chips sizes - can't remember specifics but "PS5" was 300mm2+ class, "Xbox2" was 350mm2+ class - that data lines up too

Last edited:
Its internal AMD GPU test.

It is legit.

It contains other chips (Renoire - next years Notebook APU and Arden/Sparkman (Xbox)

Komachi didnt want to share more. He literally said its gonna get someone into trouble.

Xbox chips match with Scarlett video (meaning, 320bit bus and 102983 lines of GPU data)

Again, its 100% legit. Navi CUs have legacy method as well, and for Sony its important that CU and clock match up perfectly (just watch Cernys interview about it. Even few MHZ can throw emulation of).
So what has been released about Arden so far? What can be gleaned from it power wise?

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Wasn't it already determined the PS5 we've seen so far is a dev kit and the V was for docking the units? In any case, I don't see a point to such a setup because that would introduce issues with latency potentially I'd assume; how would the two halves be connected together, through a card edge connection? Which one would be seen as the daughtercard? How would video output be handled? Would the HDMI output be on one of the PCBs or the other, or a third PCB that the other two cards multiplex a connection to?

Thanks for the clarification, I'll give that a look.

Dunno; the fact these are the only leaks that've been removed kind of lends them some credibility . We know a lot of the other rumors could be fake as well but they're still readily out here for people to find.

In any case, I'm preparing myself for a reality where those latest leaks are possibly factual. Doesn't really affect me much tho :S

Did the source get taken down too cause it may have just been rogame taking it down.

Proelite

Yeah. I'm actually having a little trouble wrapping my head around the facts - specifically 56 vs 32 CUs thing ,, maybe it'll make sense when I see the PRICE of the MS machine ..

..we also had that China/Taiwan BB leak about chips sizes - can't remember specifics but "PS5" was 300mm2+ class, "Xbox2" was 350mm2+ class - that data lines up too

56 vs 36.

My personal interpretation is that Sony is hampered by their BC situation. I predict the PS5 Pro would be 72CUs 128ROPs.

40CUs was there to use easily but they limited themselves to 36.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
56 vs 36.

My personal interpretation is that Sony is hampered by their BC situation. I predict the PS5 Pro would be 72CUs 128ROPs.

40CUs was there to use easily but they limited themselves to 36.

Sony is hampered by their success ... if they price to high more people will stay on ps4 for longer and potentially more chance of defecting to xbox. If they spec to low then more chance of defecting to xbox.

What they should have done imho is gone 2 sku and with one price high, spec high and bundle games with psn and push gamepass for playstation... try build loyalty that way. ( Thats what xbox is doing).

TLZ

Banned

I've no idea mate. That's why I'm asking someone who'd know better :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Proelite

Sony is hampered by their success ... if they price to high more people will stay on ps4 for longer and potentially more chance of defecting to xbox. If they spec to low then more chance of defecting to xbox.

What they should have done imho is gone 2 sku and with one price high, spec high and bundle games with psn and push gamepass for playstation... try build loyalty that way. ( Thats what xbox is doing).

The 36CU GPU is the best that Sony could have done unless they dropped BC or gone for 72CUS GPU. First one is PR nightmare, the 2nd would be $599+ console.

Last edited:
The 36CU GPU is the best that Sony could have done unless they dropped BC or gone for 72CUS GPU. First one is PR nightmare, the 2nd would be $599+ console.

Are there any specific technical reasons why Sony's BC solution would (potentially) hamper them to a 36CU GPU? XSEX will have BC with One, 360 and OG Xbox and if the latest leaks are true, it doesn't sound like they were hampered on GPU side for that feature. What would make things different for Sony (if anything)?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Proelite

Are there any specific technical reasons why Sony's BC solution would (potentially) hamper them to a 36CU GPU? XSEX will have BC with One, 360 and OG Xbox and if the latest leaks are true, it doesn't sound like they were hampered on GPU side for that feature. What would make things different for Sony (if anything)?

GNMX allowed devs to code to the metal. MS didn't (DirectX) since the Xbox One had to run the game through a hypervisor + they applied lessons from 360 BC.

Last edited:

onQ123

Ariel + Oberon.
36 + 36 =

Many Moons , Many Moons!

e50f425a63044d511a226d0f512bc56325406e96_hq.jpg

Yeah, the source was an excel spreadsheet on github.

Was? So is the github spreadsheet gone too, now?

This doesnt make any sense to me, why would they hurt themselves over bc? PS4 just sold 100+m consoles and it isn't bc compatible with anything.

Future-proofing and streaming, I'd assume. Though the latter doesn't really require the same architecture as the original native hardware.

But he (Proelite) mentioned Sony's GNMX allowing to-the-metal coding on PS4 being a possible reason, since they know BC of physical games will still be a big thing at least for a few more years (and I strongly hope we don't see any remaster or remakes of PS4/XBO games on next-gen. Those games don't need it, technically speaking).

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
This doesnt make any sense to me, why would they hurt themselves over bc? PS4 just sold 100+m consoles and it isn't bc compatible with anything.

Because sony thinks backwards compatible is important... until its not and then it is again.

Proelite

Neither consoles had BC at the beginning. People's expectations changed after XB1 BC and the pro consoles.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Silly? Not really. In the gen before this one thats exactly what happened. IBM chips, with Nvidia GPUs on PS3, and IBM and AMD on the 360.
Intel chips are still better for gaming than AMD, and Nvidia make better GPUs. I think both companies would do the best deals they could to get the console business away from AMD.
Both Microsoft/Sony are pursuit cheap for lower the final product retail/manufacture cost.
You're asking for the two top on PC market to build a next gen console?
Its just like Sony asking for Apple to build a PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom