• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Era was crying for Klee, Klee never showed up.

They started to doubt all insiders that said it was close (as per doc, it really is close) and asking "why is no one speaking. Matt??"

And after 2 days Matt shows up with incredibly vague non statement that can be literally taken as sarcasm or "this info is no good".

Obviously, if you are fake insider like Era guys are, you have to take a good care and alot of time to put out vague statements regarding this burning issue. Now, there will be peace on era...

Such bitterness.

Proelite

The 12 Tflops for Xbox was first leaked in Feb 2019, along with the 4 tflops for Lockhart.

Actually January on Reddit.

The only new info that came to me in the past two months is 56CUs for Arden. I already knew every else since two months ago.

Last edited:
Maybe, but rejecting next gen design when it should be pretty much locked, but somehow still testing and fixing stuff on it does sound weird.

See, this is vague insider catch 22.

If repo was correct he will say "it was sarcasm", if its right he will say "told you guys".

Since everyone was asking any era insider to chim in and confirm or deny it, Matt took it to himself to be vague
That's all they do. Klee said PS5 slightly more powerful, but that could change. They will no doubt say they were told the GCN equivalent flops and that's why their number was higher.
All smoke and mirrors. Unless they come out and give exact specs then they should be taken with a pinch of salt.

demigod

Thanks. His explanation makes sense and it also aligns with what Klee was saying.

People here thought this pastebin info was a joke, but maybe it wasnt 😉. Around 12 TF for both consoles is exciting.

This pastebin sounds believable. MS is not willing to lose much on hardware. All their hardware this gen are overpriced. The One, One X, and even SAD. How are they able to drop the One X down to $250 during the holidays and the SAD to $150? By marking those consoles high at first, not eating any losses.

LOL Matt is battling all comers in the Ree thread...

This is why insiders have been silent in general...they're gonna get attacked by one side or the other.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Matt is not a "fake" insider as some have suggested. I've seen some people who used him as a sources are now calling him fake.

He has enough credibility for us to believe that he knows somethings, but how much he knows is the question.

People who have inside information don't always get things correct or things change throughout the months\years.

People need to settle down.

R600

Banned
Why do you take shit like this so personal?

It's like it hurts you deeply.

You're out here accusing people of having incorrect information and being 'fake insiders' and whine about other people giving them credibility when you and your other pals act extremely smug about the information you think is right...

You're a gigantic hypocrite.
Im bitter because they banned me back in 2013 over stupidest thing ever and I had account for 6 years I think 😅

So when I read stupid shit on Era I get triggered.

screenshot-20191230-151402-artflow.jpg

My sketch on how i'd like the PS5 retail box to look like. The cooling such a design would provide would be amazing. No more jet engined console lol

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
LOL Matt is battling all comers in the Ree thread...

This is why insiders have been silent in general...they're gonna get attacked by one side or the other.

I think they're silent because they have insiders who trust them with valuable information and any sort of "leak" would ruin that.

You also have websites who would take any bit of information and make a 18 paragraph news article about it.

The way people fight about these numbers. LOL

12 and 13TF sound amazing to me. Maybe MS wasn't as confident in the clocks, word on the street was they got burned in 2013 in that area.

Racer!

This pastebin sounds believable. MS is not willing to lose much on hardware. All their hardware this gen are overpriced. The One, One X, and even SAD. How are they able to drop the One X down to $250 during the holidays and the SAD to $150? By marking those consoles high at first, not eating any losses.

That is exactly what Sony should do. Raise base specs as high as possible. With new technologies like ultra fast SSD, RT, HBM or other supercharged memory configs. If they could afford to eat 200$ on PS3, they can afford at least 150$ now. Build for 650$, sell for 499$. With 5 and 3 nm on the horizon, they can get that price down in a year or two. This would fend off consumer demand for "pro consumer" policies with tighter integration to other platforms which only serves to weakening their own. Which if it does, the only moat Sony has left is their first party studios. (Most people will understand why the software has to live on PS5 only, it should provide that big of a leap/be that "exotic") Meanwhile, Microsoft has committed to gamepass, and to be on every device. They are going to make sure their games work on PC`s far back from last generation with slow mechanical hdd`s and slow GPU`s (compared to a high end base sony next gen) in addition to a possible 4 TF Lockhart.

Thats how Sony`s platform remains the best place to play imo.

Last edited:

FranXico

The way people fight about these numbers. LOL

12 and 13TF sound amazing to me. Maybe MS wasn't as confident in the clocks, word on the street was they got burned in 2013 in that area.
Really? Back in 2013, there was way more wrong with that console than clocks.

Ovech-King

Ha! So technically Xbox Series is 12 tflops RDNA which above and beyond 2 times more powerful than Xbox One X (6 tflops GCN)

Yet, PS5 should be in the same ballpark perhaps even a little more powerful? The latest leaks indicates a 9.2 RDNA tflops for the PS5 so;

Which one of the two statements is wrong?

Last edited:

True, but it was intended to be closer to PS4 in power, unfortunately they were unable to clock the chip as high as they wanted (at acceptable production quantities). At least that is the rumor.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

That is exactly what Sony should do. Raise base specs as high as possible. With new technologies like ultra fast SSD, RT, HBM or other supercharged memory configs. If they could afford to eat 200$ on PS3, they can afford at least 150$ now. Build for 650$, sell for 499$. With 5 and 3 nm on the horizon, they can get that price down in a year or two. This would fend off consumer demand for "pro consumer" policies with tighter integration to other platforms which only serves to weakening their own. Which if it does, the only moat Sony has left is their first party studios. (Most people will understand why the software has to live on PS5 only, it should provide that big of a leap/be that "exotic") Meanwhile, Microsoft has committed to gamepass, and to be on every device. They are going to make sure their games work on PC`s far back from last generation with slow mechanical hdd`s and slow GPU`s (compared to a high end base sony next gen) in addition to a possible 4 TF Lockhart.

Thats how Sony`s platform remains the best place to play imo.
The $200 loss on PS3 was devastating, and I don’t think a $150 loss is a great idea either. I would imagine that any loss they take would be under $50.

TLZ

Banned
Anyone remembers this gem? Xbox 360 spec leak in April 2004, 1.5years before it was released.

You can see how far they are designed and locked from this. Some things can change (mem amount and clocks, but chip design no).
So According to Tom Warren the PS5 devkit in June 2019 was 13tf. The consoles will most probably come out Nov 2020 at the earliest. So that makes it 1.5 years too. Fits perfectly with what you said ;)

Racer!

The $200 loss on PS3 was devastating, and I don’t think a $150 loss is a great idea either. I would imagine that any loss they take would be under $50.

Then they did not have PSN revenue like they have now. Not to mention, counting for inflation 200$ in 2006 is 250$ in 2020. 150$ would be fine.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The recent "leaks" have really focused on Xbox 12TF and PS5 at around 9TF.

When the official specs are released some time next year, I can't wait to see how close these so-called leaks are to the real console.

But I know what's going to happen............ MS and PS5 both release 10.5TF consoles so neither projection was close..........

"But, but, it's the info I had at the time. I was right. Trust me. MS and Sony changed it at the last minute"

In other words, these rumour mongering asstards will always claim they "were right" at some point in time, as if they are trying to bat 1.000 at all times.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Will not happen.
I agree.

MS has sold about 50M Xbox Ones and Sony about 100M PS4s. That isn't much different than last gen where both 360 and PS3 sold about 85M each.

This gen, console makers are breaking even or making a touch of profit. No more digging a grave the first few years subsidizing gamers with $100+ of costs.

So the companies know gamers will still buy them. At the start of the gen (2013), gamers who know about tech even all agreed these are gimped laptop CPUs and getting 1080p all the time is a stretch. Even PS4 OG can't do 1080p all the time. Yet gamers still bought up consoles.

Last edited:

Racer!

I agree.

MS has sold about 50M Xbox Ones and Sony about 100M PS4s. That isn't much different than last gen where both 360 and PS3 sold about 85M each.

This gen, console makers are breaking even or making a touch of profit. No more digging a grave the first few years subsidizing gamers with $100+ of costs.

So the companies know gamers will still buy them. At the start of the gen (2013), gamers who know about tech even all agreed these are gimped laptop CPUs and getting 1080p all the time is a stretch. Even PS4 OG can't do 1080p all the time. Yet gamers still bought up consoles.

I think you need to educate yourself. Its a huge cashcow for Sony.

Its not about digging a grave or subsidizing gamers, its the opposite. Its about securing future revenue. Its about conquering as much as possible of the current market and expanding it.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

PS3 loss was devastating because it was so high but I think they'd take upwards to a $100 loss if pushed just not more than that.

Matt is having a meltdown on Reera 😂
Looks like this GitHub leaks is starting to hurt some people, even the OP wanted to move away from the discussion in the new op.

Bless Komachi and rogamer 😎

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think you need to educate yourself. Its a huge cashcow for Sony.

Its not about digging a grave or subsidizing gamers, its the opposite. Its about securing future revenue. Its about conquering as much as possible of the current market and expanding it.
Sure it's digging a grave.

The PS3 era was Sony's worst financials for their gaming division.

Sony didn't subsidize gamers with PS4 and still sold a ton and financials have been the best ever.

So why rock the boat with PS5 console losses?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom