• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is wrong with what he's saying?
Simple. A number came out for PS5 that was lower than everyone was guessing, and so it puts people like Matt and Klee is a bad situation. Do they go along with the leak and then get called out for saying PS5 was slightly more powerful than Xbox, or do they say it's wrong and risk looking like fakes if the PS 5 does release with a 36 cu GPU.
Of it wasn't for those pesky Sony engineers, they would have got away with it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So far, the best post I've seen in that thread. A level headed gamer emerged.

Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Too many people here setting themselves up for disappointment.

Understand that even if both these consoles wind up as 9TF boxes, when paired with the new CPUs, SSDs and all the other goodies they’ll be amazing boxes.

Anything more is a bonus. If you look at 2013, we’re getting a MASSIVE leap even at 9.

When Xbox X is already at 6tf, it's no stretch to guess PS5 and Scarlett will be 10+.

So when both systems come out in 2020 at let's say 11TF (for sake of argument), It's like predicting PS6 and Series Y mid gen systems around 2023-2024 will be be 16+tf.
Tell that to the hordes that took 9.2TF as confirmation when basically every person in the know has said otherwise for months.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So far, the best post I've seen in that thread. A level headed gamer emerged.

Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Too many people here setting themselves up for disappointment.

Understand that even if both these consoles wind up as 9TF boxes, when paired with the new CPUs, SSDs and all the other goodies they’ll be amazing boxes.

Anything more is a bonus. If you look at 2013, we’re getting a MASSIVE leap even at 9.

These have been my thoughts the whole time as well.

When people are saying "Both consoles have similar specs", this could still mean PS5 is 9.2tflops.
Let's look at it.

XSX
CPU - Zen 3, 8 Core, 16 threads 3.2-3.5ghz
GPU - Navi RDNA - 12 tflops
RAM - 16gbs GDDR 6
Storage - 1tb SSD
Ray Tracing on GPU
VRS on GPU

PS5
CPU - Zen 3, 8 Core, 16 threads 3.2-3.5ghz
GPU - Navi RDNA - 9.2 tflops
RAM - 16gbs GDDR 6
Storage - 1tb SSD
Ray Tracing on GPU
VRS on GPU

With all due respect, those two consoles have very similar specs.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Out of all these leaks over the past month, suddenly a guy named HMGGG and "github" info are classified as legit?

Maybe I missed it. What's the "github" info? The 9.2TF?

Last edited:
Out of all these leaks over the past month, suddenly a guy named HMGGG and "github" info are classified as legit?

Maybe I missed it. What's the "github" info? The 9.2TF?
Hmggg or whatever the hell that name is claimed to have only xbox info. Only since the github leak did, he/she now supposedly have PS5 info.
I mean it really could be a case of 'tales from my ass' but who knows at this point.
We are close to reveal, us being in the dark is kind of exciting. I legit want to be surprised for once since I thoroughly enjoyed the Sony PS4 8GB Ram moment at their E3 conference.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Simple. A number came out for PS5 that was lower than everyone was guessing, and so it puts people like Matt and Klee is a bad situation. Do they go along with the leak and then get called out for saying PS5 was slightly more powerful than Xbox, or do they say it's wrong and risk looking like fakes if the PS 5 does release with a 36 cu GPU.
Of it wasn't for those pesky Sony engineers, they would have got away with it.
But he did already say GitHub info is incorrect didn't he?

It's not entirely accurate or doesnt give a complete picture is what I gather from Matt's post and the unwillingness of other insiders to corroborate it.
Leading theory is that its early PS5 devkit for testing backwards compatibility with the latest full chip PS5 devkit only recently going out to developers (the v shaped kit that's floating around)

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
Any insider that says the GitHub info is incorrect is a fraud. I am looking at a copy of the repro right now.

Plus hmqgg already confirmed the repro as being legitimate on Era, meaning that his source is verified by mods.
Incorrect as in it isn't inaccurate I think. Not that the info presented is completely false. We'll find out very soon. All will come to light

Last edited:
He didn't say that. He said that he was glad that not everyone was taking the Github info as a given. But he didn't say "the PS5 has more than 36 Cu's, or that it puts out 2 more tflops than what the leak said."

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Any insider that says the GitHub info is incorrect is a fraud. I am looking at a copy of the repro right now.

Plus hmqgg already confirmed the repro as being legitimate on Era, meaning that his source is verified by mods.
Maybe I missed it, but what's the link or specs hmggg confirmed as legit on github. I'm assuming it's the 9.2TF? But what's the specs/post he did?

Last edited:

demigod

Yes but Matt confirmed the tests are old and not the final specs.

44alltheway

Is anyone really arguing that the GitHub info is fake? I thought the real issue was how dated it was. If its current, than its what we should expect from the PS5, but if the code is older and the PS5 has been updated since then, than the info itself doesn't really tell us much. LMK if I'm wrong.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

He never said it was incorrect. He's talking about the github being a confirmation of anything.

hmqgg said he cannot confirm 100% what's on the PS5, but some and I don't think he elaborated exactly what it was.

So far, I've seen people call him a liar, yet people are still quoting and believing others who have been wrong of very inaccurate in the past.

Matt has proven to have some credible information. He could be right or wrong based on a lack of information.

Best wait to see what happens.

Reactions: TLZ

Reindeer

Why does anyone think that Sony will be launching a 12+ tflop console at $499 when Lockhart is said to be at $299 or $349? This will be a massive loss for Sony when it comes to casual market. I think a 9 tflop machine at $399 makes too much sense to stay price competetive. Sony won't care too much about power, they will let their games do the talking and they have the mindshare. Sony first party games will still look killer and that's all most Sony fans care about anyway.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why does anyone think that Sony will be launching a 12+ tflop console at $499 when Lockhart is said to be at $299 or $349? This will be a massive loss for Sony when it comes to casual market. I think a 9 tflop machine at $399 makes too much sense to stay price competetive. Sony won't care too much about power, they will let their games do the talking and they have the mindshare. Sony first party games will still look killer and that's all most Sony fans care about anyway.
The funny thing is everyone expects there to be two Xbox systems, but also everyone seems to assume there is only one PS console.

Maybe both with have two.

Proelite

If the PS5 ends up getting a slight bump in memory clock, then Matt what said will be correct!

As for me, I've stated that the only new info that I got from the repo was 56CUs for Arden. I knew about the 36CUs at 2ghz since October.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned

a $499 PS5 will sell better than a $399 Xbox . Brand power and loyalty. PS3 outsold 360 at $599.

CyberPanda

Banned
If the PS5 ends up getting a slight bump in memory clock, then Matt what said will be correct!

As for me, I've stated that the only new info that I got from the repo was 56CUs for Arden. I knew about the 36CUs at 2ghz since October.
Are you specifically talking about the gpu frequency? Is it possible they can bump it ? Thanks

Reindeer

a $499 PS5 will sell better than a $399 Xbox . Brand power and loyalty. PS3 outsold 360 at $599.
PS3 was behind 360 for most of the generation. Sure PS5 could outsell Xbox at $399, but can it outsell Lockhart if it's $299? $200 difference is a lot. They might still win in the end in terms of overall sales, but Xbox will surely be a big winner and attract a huge chunk of casual market with such an aggressive price. I don't know, the $499 PS5 doesn't make too much sense to me.

Last edited:
There's nothing to indicate that Sony will have two consoles, this is why I think $399 is what they're looking at. We not getting 12+ tflops for $399. Everything will depend on what price Sony is looking at.
Could be 499 and xbox 599. I think xbox will be 100 dollars more w/ 2 or more tflops

CyberPanda

Banned
MS has more room for upclocking.

That said, I don't think either company will. They'll run into bandwidth limitations.
Yea, I’ve read they are being conservative with their clocks. Bandwidth issues aren’t necessary either. Would hinder game performance significantly.

Entroyp

Arden has RT and VRS though. It may have RDNA+

Both consoles will have the same ‘customizations’ which means adding a few more features than the cards they are based on, But it silly to tout those features as something ‘magical’ that will compensate for any shortcomings.
I’m sure the RT implementation on both consoles will be barebones and far less efficient as something like what’s in the RTX cards because cost, die space available and heat.

Everyone expecting some miracle from a home console is just setting themselves for disappointment because at the end of the day nothing has changed, consoles need to be produced on the cheap and will never be as powerful as a thousand+ dollar PC and they don’t have to because it’s about the games, and it will alway be about the games.

MS has more room for upclocking.

That said, I don't think either company will. They'll run into bandwidth limitations.

Don't forget about this, which has no doubt improved for RDNA.

6J3pb87.jpg

vpance

Yep. I think they know now after PS3 and 4 sales performance they can easily go to $499 in the first year without worry. Then they'll look to reduce costs in the following years with new hardware revisions. If Lockhart ever becomes a threat (unlikely) they can just launch a cut down version with better value later.

Reindeer

Could be 499 and xbox 599. I think xbox will be 100 dollars more w/ 2 or more tflops
I get that, but what I'm saying is that Sony cannot afford for there to be a big gap between PS5 and Lockhart's pricing. If Lockhart is substantially cheaper than PS5 then it will eat a lot of its market. Sony don't have two SKUs so they have to be careful with how they price PS5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom