• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
8k is 4x the pixels, don't expect these consoles to do anything serious at 8k (possible mid gens included).
Ugh.

I can't wait to see which dev PRs their game is 8k, when every 8k TV at Best Buy Canada is $4,000+, including this whopper if you have $100,000 lying around for a giant TV.

Samsung 98" 8K UHD HDR QLED Tizen Smart TV (QN98Q900RBFXZC)
Model Number: QN98Q900RBFXZC
Web Code: 13407280

$99,999.99

Overview
Take your entertainment experience to new heights with the Samsung 98" 8K Smart TV. AI-powered upscaling presents all of your movies, television shows, and games in spectacular 8K resolution. Its spectacular QLED quantum dot display delivers vibrant colours and true-to-life details, so you can immerse yourself in every moment.
$99,99999

Last edited:
But that would put XSEX performance compared to base model in a place that makes Phil's statement grossely misguided.

It's like Phil subtracted 3 teraflops from the performance delta between the XSEX and base Xbox One.

That's a logical fallacy. Assuming he's not talking performance and only TF, 6x2 still = 12 and 1.4 x 9 is still more than 12 (hence more than 8 but not nine).

Marlenus

But that would put XSEX performance compared to base model in a place that makes Phil's statement grossely misguided.

It's like Phil subtracted 3 teraflops from the performance delta between the XSEX and base Xbox One.

Not at fp32 compute which will be as stated and is not nebulous like performance is.

saintjules

Gold Member
Likewise, I expect a PS4 firmware update to give it DS5 support (like they did for the PS3).

Which makes sense of course. And that back attachment that will get released next month will set it up so that you can use those features on PS5 games with your DS4. As is, the DS4 would only work with the respective PS4 games on the 5. Any PS5 games that use the back button features must be with the DS5 (obviously).

xool

The holidays are over, and the new year has begun! Get ready for the hype train! Choo CHooooo!!!!

-MEGA HYPEREALISTIC PHOTOSYNTHESIS ULTRA MEGATON! SO HYPERPHOTO REAL, YOU WILL GO BLIND IN 10 MINUTES!
-SUPER DOOPER 3D AUDIO SOUND THAT IS MORE REAL SOUNDING THAN REAL LIFE! HEAR THE ZOMBIE CREAPING UP FROM YOUR BEHIND AND THEN ZOOM PAST YOU AS IT BEGINS TO FIGHT THE MANBEARPIG!
-TRILLIONS OF TEXTURE MAPPED POLYGONS WITH THE POWER OF ZEN CPU AND RDNA GPU TO MAKE A SPHERE THAT REFLECTS LIGHT LIKE REAL LIFE, EXCEPT ITS BETTER CAUSE ITS 4K HDR AND USING GPUGPU COMPUTE WITH THE NEW HYPER ADVANCED SSD TO MAKE MORE SPHERES THAT REFLECTS LIGHT BASED ON REAL LIFE!
-XSEX USING THE POWER OF THE CLOUD TO TALK TO OTHER XSEX'S USING NEURAL NETWORK SKYNET BRAIN! XSEX NEURAL NETWORK SKYNET BRAIN IS SUPER ADVANCED AI THAT IS SUPER SMART THAT IS BEYOND ULTRA HARD SETTINGS, SO THAT WHEN YOU AS THE PLAYER FIGHT THE MANBEARPIG WITH YOUR XBOX ELITE CONTROLLER...it will be smart.
In my head I read this with the voice of DJ Doc Britton reading Francis E. Dec 's crazed pamplets

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Thuway from ree: “ps5 dev kits are 10.24TF”

makes me think sony must have other hardware beyond pure grunt to be able to attract ‘hardcore’. Reram is what i am hoping for.

Dictator speculation that 2ghz only makes sense if sony is on 7nm+. This would be interesting but unlikely.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

makes me think sony must have other hardware beyond pure grunt to be able to attract ‘hardcore’. Reram is what i am hoping for.

Dictator speculation that 2ghz only makes sense if sony is on 7nm+. This would be interesting but unlikely.
Thuway. That brings back memories.

BUT, wasn't he a legit leaker way back that got hold of Xbox One and PS4 schematics?

If so, his leak might be true.

Thedtrain

Thuway. That brings back memories.

BUT, wasn't he a legit leaker way back that got hold of Xbox One and PS4 schematics?

If so, his leak might be true.
Think he got it terribly wrong, right? He was fed BS and ended up looking badly if I remember correctly.
Bring back the bird, fam 😉

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Think he got it terribly wrong, right? He was fed BS and ended up looking badly if I remember correctly.

fam needs to bring back the bird 😉
I don't remember if his leaked info was right or wrong.

But I do remember websites analyzing schematics and blueprints trying to figure out the power, where people found out Xbox One and PS4 TFs and shit before it launched. I thought he was part of it.

But that was years ago.

Maybe I'm totally wrong.

Last edited:

Marlenus

2GHz only happens with rather large architecture changes to support it. We are passed the point where nodes are giving free clock speed increases.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
taking a loss would subtract even more from their profits. which makes even less sense for them to sell at a loss. All their profits from ps2 went into ps3 this is not a good model. MS has enough money to buy sony 10x over.
Sony has always put more funds into gaming than MS though. Look at the different game budgets

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And after all these years you're still the same, Dog! You didn't change at all. If you're trying to make us to look like fools....DON'T!

giphy.gif

And this tweet is prime example isn't different than bunch of similar tweets of yours week ago, month ago, year ago, years ago.

Saw this

And someone pointed this out in the comment section.

This is why I said I don't believe him when he says it doesn't matter which console is more powerful. He did hype DX12 and the Cloud for the original Xbox.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

2GHz only happens with rather large architecture changes to support it. We are passed the point where nodes are giving free clock speed increases.

hmmmmm......maybe sony was surprised by the 12tf xsx and needed 2ghz to push them into double digits so things dont look so bad? 10 v 12 looks a hell of a lot better than 9 v 12. If so, they better have silent first class cooling because i am not having another blower in my unit.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Saw this

And someone pointed this out in the comment section.

This is why I said I don't believe him when he says it doesn't matter which console is more powerful. He did hype DX12 and the Cloud for the original Xbox.

We all know Timdog is an Xbox fanatic tht has been proven wrong many times by his delusional assumptions of grandeur.

Why we give these dudes attention, only fanatics will believe the bs tht comes out their mouths.

xool

10.24TF means 2.22 GHz if it's 36 CU .. that's high.

I think "7nm+" is quiet likely Both 7NP (non-EUV) and 7nm+ (part EUV) have supposedly been in producion since mid 2019.

Still, over 2.2GHz seems too high even for the improved node

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ugh.

I can't wait to see which dev PRs their game is 8k, when every 8k TV at Best Buy Canada is $4,000+, including this whopper if you have $100,000 lying around for a giant TV.

Samsung 98" 8K UHD HDR QLED Tizen Smart TV (QN98Q900RBFXZC)
Model Number: QN98Q900RBFXZC
Web Code: 13407280

$99,999.99

Overview
Take your entertainment experience to new heights with the Samsung 98" 8K Smart TV. AI-powered upscaling presents all of your movies, television shows, and games in spectacular 8K resolution. Its spectacular QLED quantum dot display delivers vibrant colours and true-to-life details, so you can immerse yourself in every moment.
$99,99999

Large 4K was up there when they were talking 4K talk as well years and years ago, and now you can get them on the very cheap like they were 720p sets.

Anyways, I would not obsess so much over the 8K talk, it will not impact you no matter what display you are on, and if they push a little higher than 4K, even just a bit, then downsample goodness.

Marlenus

I think "7nm+" is quiet likely Both 7NP (non-EUV) and 7nm+ (part EUV) have supposedly been in producion since mid 2019.

N7+ tapper out over 12 months ago.

But why is Arden Native 56CUs? If Oberon has them missing, why are Ardens 56CUs there?

Nobody has a legit answer for this. And get this, there was even less testing and information on Arden compared to the PS5 chip. So we know even less about Arden. We just know its more powerful and apparently has features the ps5 chip tested does not.

Tiago07

And he also said that the difference between the two consoles is minimal, just like Klee and others

joe_zazen

10.24 is dev kit, retail could be flat 10. It looks like both really wanted to be double digits. Or in the case of ms, at least one console in the double digits.

As a layman, MS’ route of having more CUs, lower clocks, and a console design that priortizes silence seems more sensible then high clocks and what looks like noisy dev kits. But i am still totally going to scrutinize whatever sony presents. Lower price + ‘just as quiet as xbox’ might make me stay a sony guy. Idk.

DJ12

This is actually plausible. But I'm also thinking, since Sony will be using Azure for PS cloud/streaming next gen and MS has already been on record saying they'll be using next-gen Xboxes as servers (kind of like what they've done with XBX), doesn't that lend some credibility to the idea that XSEX will be at least slightly more powerful than PS5? How is a weaker console going to serve as a host server emulating a more powerful system for game streaming and cloud purposes?

Unless maybe MS will still be using purpose-speced PCs in server racks for that purpose as well. Which is possible, but sounds a bit cumbersome of a setup.
Lack of RT and only 36 cus suggests ps now is not immediately going to include ps5 games.

Ms are the ones that want to play everything on anything (games as a service), Sony more interested in getting console sales

I still laugh when people say stuff like this.

Phil never said it was 8x the power of the Xbox One GPU.

Phil said it was OVER 8x the power of the Xbox One GPU.

There is only one version of the Xbox One that is sold. The original one has been discontinued. The Xbox One S is 1.4TFLOPS

1.4TFLOPS x 8 gets you only 11.2, hence why he had to say OVER.
1.4TFLOPS x 9 gets you 12.6, likely more than they are willing to commit to or will actually be.

Hence, it's safe to say OVER 8x Xbox One GPU.

As for Xbox One X GPU. It doesn't get more clear. He said 2 times the power of the Xbox One X GPU. 6 x 2 gives you 12.

Go back and read carefully what phil said. You will see an important word. OVER

Mass Shift

A more articulated post that captured my exact thought about this leak. Kudos to Jeffram.

Here are the text of it: Credit to Jeffram from Reeeee:

"Since you snuck this in at the end of the last OT, figured i'd respond here. There are some reasons NOT to put weight into the Github leak

There are 3 reasons to question the implications of the leaked documents:

1. They are full of mistakes and inaccuracies
  • There are files in wrong folders, there are sub folders and wrong folders. Again, when people say these are legitimate, they mean that this is what is legitimately in the files, not that the files are correct or accurate all the time.
  • The biggest issue is that they claim Spakrman (Lockhart) is 56CUs. Every reason you have to believe Oberon is PS5, you have to believe that Sparkman is Lockhart. Sparkman BC mode indicates it can replicate a One S.
However confident you are that PS5 is 36 CUs, must must be equally confident that Lockhart is 56CUs. Or the other way around, how ever skeptical you are that these leaks confirm Lockhart is 56CUs, you must be equally skeptical these leaks confirm PS5 is 36CUs.

2. The leaks if taken at face value, fly in the face of every credible insider we have, including develeper sources and industry sources, that say the Series X and PS5 are very close in power.
  • We've had Jason Schreier News Editor of Kotaku, Andrew Reiner Executive Editor at Game Informer, Our own Mods, and Vetted industry insider and veteran Klee, and other insiders all say the consoles are close in power.
  • They specifically claim PS5 and Scarlett were close in power according to those sources. And All of that is in the same time window these leaks are from, which according to DF is the point where it's too late to make changes. None of them have come out and said the the tables have turned. The Github leaks are new to us, but they are actually older than the leaks we've gotten from insiders.
So, Actual insiders who actually know about the target specs of the PS5 and Xbox Series X (rather than drawing conclusions from indirect and uncontextualized data points) with a network of sources (instead of an interns notepad) are saying something to the contrary of what the leak indicates at face value.

3. The documents, if taken at face value, don't pass the sniff test, and an alternative makes more sense

• The test were done without VRR and RT, when we know that at the very least PS5 has RT. This means that the tests we have access to are not the full PS5 in at least one way.
  • 36CUs at 2GHz, is not a reasonable way to hit 9.2TFs, if that's the target. Every bit of historical and contextual data we have for consoles points to a wide and slow approach to console APUs. Efficiencies, Thermals, Cooling Costs, and reliability have all proven to be reasons that trump a lower sized and faster APU. Why would Sony feel any different? What technology would change the equation? I'm not aware of any, so I don't expect that approach to change.
  • 36CUs would also make this the smallest APU Sony has made in a decade. In a world where Sony is dominating in terms of sales and profitability, where they've come out and aid that PS5 is going to be Niche product aimed at the hardcore who what the best and latest, where that is corroborated by their rumoured bleeding edge SSD tech, a small APU doesn't make sense.
  • Digital Foundry Stated in the article that many BC test are being done. If that's true, this could be a BC test right? Well, what would that look like. Presumably, they would want to test a Native PS4 mode, a PS4 Pro mode, and like the PS4 Pro had.... A PS4 Pro Boost mode. What would the Boost mode test look like?
  • A PS4 Pro Boost mode compatibility test would look like this: Exactly the same CUs as the PS4 Pro, An unlocked "full" clock, no RT or VRS hardware activated. What do we have in the leak? 36CUs (exactly the same as the PS4 Pro), 2Ghz, the rumoured full clock of the PS5, No RT and no VRS indicated.
The leaks makes little sense as the Full PS5 hardware, indicating you shouldn't take it as a certainty of the PS5s total performance, and a lot of sense that it's a boost mode PS4 Pro compatibility test so that possibility can't be dismissed"

I could run with this except that it requires us to believe that the test leaks are 100% wrong. That no part of it is accurate or valid. And the chances that all those test samples are bogus or that they were ALL misinterpreted and taken out of context is just not realistic.

My main problem is the CU count. No way anyone is going to make me believe Sony is going with 36 graphic cores. My prediction is still 46-48CUs, because I know the high clock is to compensate. I just hope they don't create a jet heater.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Well you are under impression Xbox is not 12 navi tflop or Isnt target. It is, i will glady send info again to Mod Of War to show you. Its also in code which was confirmed to me . So we @ 12

Sony isnt beating that number thats why they wont put a number to tflops and other is they will emphasize other stuff

Id gladly bet account . Why? Cause im confident. If anyone is laughing at these leaks its Xbox. If no bet, fine.

I have no bias and am eagerly anticipating owning all consoles, as I currently do and have every generation going back to when it was only Nintendo and Sega as the main players. You are omitting the fact that Xbox also has not stated their flop number publicly that was conjecture based on what Mr. Spencer said. I have said it a bunch of times here and elsewhere they are both ridiculously powerful and everyone is going to be a winner. No bias and no agenda everyone wins. Now, that being said one is still more powerful than the other (very slightly) and has a better RT solution. Funny story, games are already being made on both so developers do know their final target spec. Nothing has changed and it wont in this final hour. By account bet do you mean avatar bet? because I would be interested.

Yeah it might be 9

This is literally FP16 all over again with the PS4 Pro. Even accepting that maybe that is incomplete information and there is more to the story. People are literally pretending that it's all 100% false. But something tells me if it said PS5 was 56CUs with hardware RT and VRS we wouldn't be having the same discussion. Hell, I personally predicted PS5 to initially have 54 CUs.

I have no bias and am eagerly anticipating owning all consoles, as I currently do and have every generation going back to when it was only Nintendo and Sega as the main players. You are omitting the fact that Xbox also has not stated their flop number publicly that was conjecture based on what Mr. Spencer said. I have said it a bunch of times here and elsewhere they are both ridiculously powerful and everyone is going to be a winner. No bias and no agenda everyone wins. Now, that being said one is still more powerful than the other (very slightly) and has a better RT solution. Funny story, games are already being made on both so developers do know their final target spec. Nothing has changed and it wont in this final hour. By account bet do you mean avatar bet? because I would be interested.

He didn't come out and outright say it, but he certainly implied it in the most obvious way imaginable. If you do the math... over 8x xbox one gpu, 2x xbox one x. Do we seriously need more than that? You do realize that even a 10TF Navi GPU is easily 10x more performant than xbox one's GPU right? He wasn't entertaining what devs will ultimately get from the new architecture. He was just giving us the raw computational increase without outright saying what that number is. He left it for the rest of us who cares about that kind of stuff to actually know what he meant.

He's actively promoting articles that say it's 12TFLOPS. Many sites have independently verified that it's 12TFLOPS. DF has heard from their own sources it is 12TFLOPS.

Does he need to slap it on the side of the box where the price is on release?

Ovech-King

I think Phil agree with people saying it's twice powerful at 12tf even though it's way stronger . I think that's because he don't want to confuse the average person who have no clue that the new tflops are more efficient than the 2017 and before gen

onQ123

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom