• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

OsirisBlack

Banned
He didn't come out and outright say it, but he certainly implied it in the most obvious way imaginable. If you do the math... over 8x xbox one gpu, 2x xbox one x. Do we seriously need more than that? You do realize that even a 10TF Navi GPU is easily 10x more performant than xbox one's GPU right? He wasn't entertaining what devs will ultimately get from the new architecture. He was just giving us the raw computational increase without outright saying what that number is. He left it for the rest of us who cares about that kind of stuff to actually know what he meant.

He's actively promoting articles that say it's 12TFLOPS. Many sites have independently verified that it's 12TFLOPS. DF has heard from their own sources it is 12TFLOPS.

Does he need to slap it on the side of the box where the price is on release?

I was stating a fact in response to what another member said, not arguing for or against the number speculated for the series X. I mean 11.6 rounded up is 12 correct?

joe_zazen

He didn't come out and outright say it, but he certainly implied it in the most obvious way imaginable. If you do the math... over 8x xbox one gpu, 2x xbox one x. Do we seriously need more than that? You do realize that even a 10TF Navi GPU is easily 10x more performant than xbox one's GPU right? He wasn't entertaining what devs will ultimately get from the new architecture. He was just giving us the raw computational increase without outright saying what that number is. He left it for the rest of us who cares about that kind of stuff to actually know what he meant.

He's actively promoting articles that say it's 12TFLOPS. Many sites have independently verified that it's 12TFLOPS. DF has heard from their own sources it is 12TFLOPS.

it is not official until it is official, so yeah try some decaf.

he undersold it

therockmic-322x381.jpeg

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have no bias and am eagerly anticipating owning all consoles, as I currently do and have every generation going back to when it was only Nintendo and Sega as the main players. You are omitting the fact that Xbox also has not stated their flop number publicly that was conjecture based on what Mr. Spencer said. I have said it a bunch of times here and elsewhere they are both ridiculously powerful and everyone is going to be a winner. No bias and no agenda everyone wins. Now, that being said one is still more powerful than the other (very slightly) and has a better RT solution. Funny story, games are already being made on both so developers do know their final target spec. Nothing has changed and it wont in this final hour. By account bet do you mean avatar bet? because I would be interested.

100% agree with this the advantage is very slight.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
I think Phil agree with people saying it's twice powerful at 12tf even though it's way stronger . I think that's because he don't want to confuse the average person who have no clue that the new tflops are more efficient than the 2017 and before gen
Exactly, at the end of the day he needs to sell it to the average consumer. Present it in ways they'll understand. Enthusiasts like us are already a shoe in for this new hardware. It's the average Joe walking around Best Buy and browsing Amazon that they need to pull in.

That's a logical fallacy. Assuming he's not talking performance and only TF, 6x2 still = 12 and 1.4 x 9 is still more than 12 (hence more than 8 but not nine).
I still laugh when people say stuff like this.

Phil never said it was 8x the power of the Xbox One GPU.

Phil said it was OVER 8x the power of the Xbox One GPU.

There is only one version of the Xbox One that is sold. The original one has been discontinued. The Xbox One S is 1.4TFLOPS

1.4TFLOPS x 8 gets you only 11.2, hence why he had to say OVER.
1.4TFLOPS x 9 gets you 12.6, likely more than they are willing to commit to or will actually be.

Hence, it's safe to say OVER 8x Xbox One GPU.

As for Xbox One X GPU. It doesn't get more clear. He said 2 times the power of the Xbox One X GPU. 6 x 2 gives you 12.

Go back and read carefully what phil said. You will see an important word. OVER

So Phil didn't took into consideration the performance gains of RDNA vs. GCN. If that is the case the XSEX is roughly actually 11 times more performant than base Xbox One.

How do you know that you don’t like something if you’ve never tried it?

I don't smoke cigarettes and I've never tried cocaine, but I'm positive I don't like those either :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Okay, not the same thing. Since I was young I grew up seeing doctors regularly advise the people closest to me not to drink it and the dangers of drinking it, and so I developed an attitude completely opposed to ever putting coffee into my system.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

There are indeed two ways of interpretation of what he said:

1. It is twice the raw power (FLOPS) so 12TFs
2. It is twice the performance so in RDNA case abou 9-10TFs

I believe too it is the 1 because I want more powerful hardware but Phil was obtuse and did not confirm anything.

sixamp

There will be no difference in a 9tf ps5 or a 11/12tf xbx. 3rd party games will be be within 5-10% of each other. Sony will continue to develop games at 2-3 yrs and pouring in constant Dev time while Xbox will pump out games. If the consoles are $399 ps5 & $499xbox even being more powerful the xbx will fail due to how negative everyone has been to the xbx brand. If MS wants to compete sell the at $$4-450 and just take the loss to get the consoles out

ethomaz

Banned
There will be no difference in a 9tf ps5 or a 11/12tf xbx. 3rd party games will be be within 5-10% of each other. Sony will continue to develop games at 2-3 yrs and pouring in constant Dev time while Xbox will pump out games. If the consoles are $399 ps5 & $499xbox even being more powerful the xbx will fail due to how negative everyone has been to the xbx brand. If MS wants to compete sell the at $$4-450 and just take the loss to get the consoles out
9TFs to 11-12TFs is a big difference... it is over 20%.

I never did cocaine but I'm pretty sure you're gonna love it if you try it lol

Have you ever seen a sad crackhead?
they can get hit by a car & they will get up smiling

Come to think of it, the crackheads i know are pretty nice.
There are indeed two ways of interpretation of what he said:

1. It is twice the raw power (FLOPS) so 12TFs
2. It is twice the performance so in RDNA case abou 9-10TFs

I believe too it is the 1 because I want more powerful hardware but Phil was obtuse and did not confirm anything.

Well, I'll say this. I don't think you play those kinds of games with customers. If Xbox Series X turns out to be weaker than 12teraflops, then what's been communicated would strike me as intentionally misleading, even dishonest, I'm an xbox fan, but I don't sugar coat when I think they are messing up, or if I feel they need to do a lot better. And misleading hardcore fans excited about your next gen gaming system would already be a horrible start to the next gen.

Also, a 56CU GPU and that design to run a 9 teraflop card? Geez, I sure hope not.

I have no bias and am eagerly anticipating owning all consoles, as I currently do and have every generation going back to when it was only Nintendo and Sega as the main players. You are omitting the fact that Xbox also has not stated their flop number publicly that was conjecture based on what Mr. Spencer said. I have said it a bunch of times here and elsewhere they are both ridiculously powerful and everyone is going to be a winner. No bias and no agenda everyone wins. Now, that being said one is still more powerful than the other (very slightly) and has a better RT solution. Funny story, games are already being made on both so developers do know their final target spec. Nothing has changed and it wont in this final hour. By account bet do you mean avatar bet? because I would be interested.
Holy Shit.

One is slightly more powerful and has a better ray tracing implementation.
I really do wonder if its PS5 or X SeX with this advantage.

On paper it is yes but the final deciding factor will be the development and engines used. The difference in real world results won't be really that noticable like it would be on a PC.

Honestly, there will be horrible looking major PS5 titles, that's a fact. They will look amazing and they should run amazing also. So nobody really is suggesting that even if series x has this power advantage that it will show up in ways that embarrass ps5. I don't think so. Will there be times where xbox series x clearly demonstrates it's more powerful, and not by an insignificant amount in real games? I think so certainly. There's no way that couldn't be the case if the current numbers remain as they are.

I mean a GPU stronger and with roughly the same amount of memory bandwidth as PS5's supposed chip, the 5700 xt, beat handily a 12.6 teraflop GCN Vega 64 with HBM2. It only makes you wonder what a bigger 12 teraflop gpu can achieve.

StrongGuy

Holy Shit.

He claimed in the past that PS5 is the one that's slightly stronger with a superior RT implementation, but we'll see. Insiders have had a poor record lately.

Thedtrain

I’m ready to see some actual gameplay from a next gen console (I guess god fall counts...) I don’t give a rip about power difference.

I’m also interested in the customizations from both manufacturers...MS’s whole reveal seems like a prebuilt PC. Hopefully they have something unique. Sony is just all speculation, but definitely interested in the SSD.

DJ12

He didn't come out and outright say it, but he certainly implied it in the most obvious way imaginable. If you do the math... over 8x xbox one gpu, 2x xbox one x. Do we seriously need more than that? You do realize that even a 10TF Navi GPU is easily 10x more pe
Holy Shit.

Think he pretty much said it was ps5 several hundred pages back, but one has shown a game with ray tracing one hasn't, pretty much all the evidence you need there.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Games on PS4 Pro and One X are already more than 10% of each other. So how do you figure the gap between PS5 and Xbox will be the same when the One X is allegedly drastically more powerful?

StrongGuy

Drop a few settings and that 20% is gone. Anything that 12 tflop box can run a 9tflop box will also. Stuff is so scalable these days.

This is only true if an application was programmed to be compatible with a software abstraction layer, which PS4 wasn't. I think SONY's problems with backwards compatibility is because they let developers program their game to the metal, which makes it harder to make a new architecture compatible with PS4 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom