• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Generation is going to be really strange because of A.I

I've said this before but I'm sure that gaming is going to benefit hugely if AI is implemented in a good way

I see a future where more games are fully voiced etc

AI can be very efficient but very uninspired.

Call me a rube but anything “created” by AI doesn’t have soul.

What makes games great is the passion and artistic direction that goes into them. AI can’t do that—at least certainly not yet.

DavidGzz

Games are going to get really cheap. This will kill many devs. Why pay $70 for games when an Indy dev can make an A.I. game that allows you to make the game of your dreams for $3? Interesting times ahead. There are going to have to be some kind of regulations, I'd imagine. I have no idea what I'm talking about. Just spitballing.

atyourservice

Neo Member
I don't think any of that is going to be delivered in the immediate next generation. At least not on the grand AAA scale I assume you're referring to.

Indies will probably do cool things with it, but actual game generation or on the fly combining voice prompts and level creation on a AAA scale seems a few decades out at least. This is where we're at on a smaller budget level

Impressive, but not anything close to full level creation

Games are going to get really cheap. This will kill many devs. Why pay $70 for games when an Indy dev can make an A.I. game that allows you to make the game of your dreams for $3? Interesting times ahead. There are going to have to be some kind of regulations, I'd imagine. I have no idea what I'm talking about. Just spitballing.

Not impossible but highly unlikely for the time being.

I doubt AI can do what Miyazaki does any time soon.

Do you know photos you take from iphone are AI generated to the wazoo.

Such small sensor and lens cannot take half decent photos in good light, let alone in pitch dark environments. Physically impossible.

If nobody is bothered by AI generated image of themselves, this is just video games.

Porcile

Humans with actual imagination and artistic skill still turn out generic dross like Concord. You really think computers will able to make it better?

Knightime_X

Humans with actual imagination and artistic skill still turn out generic dross like Concord. You really think computers will able to make it better?
You HAVE seen what midjourney is capable of, right?
AI absolutely CURBSTOMPS humans when it comes to attractive and interesting characters. 1 million fold
And it's still in the infancy stages of power.

Last edited:
Incorporating generative content is pretty challenging at this point since doing it locally is very demanding, and hooking up to a cloud service is even more problematic due to latency and costs. They'll have to come up with more limited scenarios where generative content can be added at relatively low cost. The demos like the Nvidia barkeep with freeform chatting are completely unrealistic for standard AAA games. You don't want to give a player the ability to just ask anything about anything and expect that to work. I think a more likely case is simply having a follower dynamically respond to player actions and the world state without explicitly requiring any input from the player.

There's tons of potential avenues to incorporating generative AI in games, and a lot of that has nothing to do with what people seem to imagine AI is about, like poor quality generated images or general chatbot functionality. AI is inevitable, but people are jumping the gun when it comes to how it'll be incorporated in games. It'll take time and come in more limited scenarios where most people won't even realize a feature is done through genAI.

For the moment, sure.
But with AI, you don't look at where it is now, but the potential where it's heading.

Ten years ago, games were going to be so advanced you wouldn’t be able to separate them from reality.

Yet what do we have? Traversal stutter, shader compilation, and terrible AA tech like TAA.

We’ll need to get TDP down significantly before then.

I know looking deep into the future, I just doubt it’s coming any time soon.

Knightime_X

Ten years ago, games were going to be so advanced you wouldn’t be able to separate them from reality.

Yet what do we have? Traversal stutter, shader compilation, and terrible AA tech like TAA.

We’ll need to get TDP down significantly before then.

I know looking deep into the future, I just doubt it’s coming any time soon.
PC or console? because PC even at mid level is still leaps and bounds greater than console.
TAA has either been improved or replaced altogether with something better.

Also, if you compared a 2014 game to something from 2004 that would be closer to being correct.
Not 100% surpassed by that point, but we do haves games now where real time gameplay looks VASTLY superior to the FMV cutscenes used back then.
That's a fantastic jump if you ask me.

midnightAI

What makes games great is the passion and artistic direction that goes into them. AI can’t do that—at least certainly not yet.
AI can also be used for a lot of mundane tasks that the developer can't be arsed putting a lot of effort into so 'potentially' games could be created more efficiently but also have better and faster results.

Think of AI use in games more as tools to help the developers and not completely take over what they do. For example, AI is currently used in the creation of terrain, it can generate mountains, hills, rivers, trees etc. when you get close to the riverbank the terrain changes from grass to pebbles and sand. Once the basics are done the artists can go in and modify things and also with the help of AI it helps keep things consistent so if you move or widen a river the terrain correctly adapts to that change.

Metahuman uses a bunch of AI to do things like animation and although they won't be quite as good as mocap they are much better (and faster) than keying the animations by hand.

AI should be seen as a way of helping developers not be seen as replacing them (it may happen if course, but I don't think it will have much impact personally)

PC or console? because PC even at mid level is still leaps and bounds greater than console.
TAA has either been improved or replaced altogether with something better.

Also, if you compared a 2014 game to something from 2004 that would be closer to being correct.
Not 100% surpassed by that point, but we do haves games now where real time gameplay looks VASTLY superior to the FMV cutscenes used back then.
That's a fantastic jump if you ask me.

For sure, but I’d rather they fix major issues before.

Better tech won’t suddenly make Star Wars Outlaws a fun game to play because the tech isn’t what’s holding it back.

AI can also be used for a lot of mundane tasks that the developer can't be arsed putting a lot of effort into so 'potentially' games could be created more efficiently but also have better and faster results.

Think of AI use in games more as tools to help the developers and not completely take over what they do. For example, AI is currently used in the creation of terrain, it can generate mountains, hills, rivers, trees etc. when you get close to the riverbank the terrain changes from grass to pebbles and sand. Once the basics are done the artists can go in and modify things and also with the help of AI it helps keep things consistent so if you move or widen a river the terrain correctly adapts to that change.

Metahuman uses a bunch of AI to do things like animation and although they won't be quite as good as mocap they are much better (and faster) than keying the animations by hand.

AI should be seen as a way of helping developers not be seen as replacing them (it may happen if course, but I don't think it will have much impact personally)

That’s where corporate greed will lose sight.

Mundane tasks will result in a mundane game. Every game asset contributes to the experience.

onQ123

AI is already being utilized in current gen games though
Yes but next generation the hardware made to do it locally will be in the consoles & it will most likely be at the forefront of next gen consoles.

We have kinda been stuck in this small space when it comes to gameplay since games became 3D but now there is this really wide door being opened.

Last edited:

Three

Do you know photos you take from iphone are AI generated to the wazoo.

Such small sensor and lens cannot take half decent photos in good light, let alone in pitch dark environments. Physically impossible.

If nobody is bothered by AI generated image of themselves, this is just video games.
I've never had 7 fingers when I've taken an iphone photo. AI upscaling is a little different to AI generated art.

IAmRei

If people using it in a good way, You know withh most of tech, people got lazy,, the way they go is not good way,, money talks, and we got ugly way...

I've never had 7 fingers when I've taken an iphone photo. AI upscaling is a little different to AI generated art.
Of course.

You are giving it a photo to work with instead of making stuff out of nothing.

It mostly work on denoising, adding pretty colours etc.

But ultimately, it is AI generated.

Three

Of course.

You are giving it a photo to work with instead of making stuff out of nothing.

It mostly work on denoising, adding pretty colours etc.

But ultimately, it is AI generated.
But you can see how these two things differ, yes?

We have had DLSS for a while and nobody has complained about it. When people make comments like this:

What makes games great is the passion and artistic direction that goes into them

They're talking about AI generated art/content and not upscaling/denoising.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don't think any of that is going to be delivered in the immediate next generation. At least not on the grand AAA scale I assume you're referring to.

Indies will probably do cool things with it, but actual game generation or on the fly combining voice prompts and level creation on a AAA scale seems a few decades out at least. This is where we're at on a smaller budget level

Impressive, but not anything close to full level creation
A few decades? You have no idea how advanced A.I is just now and the rapid advances being made.

spons

Gold Member
Generative AI seems good for upscaling older shit (i.e. working with/on stuff that already exists), other than that it seems quite inaccurate.

Cakeboxer

Generative AI seems good for upscaling older shit (i.e. working with/on stuff that already exists), other than that it seems quite inaccurate.
I'm more thinking about the dialogue opportunities. Imagine having checkboxes or custom options for your interests and the npcs will then talk about it or the game generates quests or some posters, graffitis etc. with you favorite NFL team, car brand and much more. I think that would be awesome.

atyourservice

Neo Member
A few decades? You have no idea how advanced A.I is just now and the rapid advances being made.
Maybe. I try to keep up with this stuff and this is the most recent impressive advancement I've seen (along with the article I posted earlier)

My point is that the way AAA games are developed means that indies will have the easiest leeway to base entire games on this stuff. AAA will have to slowly integrate it here and there for a while before we see full blown ai powered games. Sort of the buffer between developments in technology and developments in products that fully use that technology

If the average AAA game takes 4 - 6 years, and it takes roughly 2 to 3 games for devs to completely overhaul their workflow and game engine tech, then a few decades until voice activated in-game level/gameplay generation seems reasonable.

Simpler stuff like ai npcs and all will come in much quicker, but I don't think that's what the op was referring to.

but, eh, I know as little as anyone else, so I could be completely wrong

Last edited:

Wildebeest

We have to wonder what sort of "infinite" content we would actually want from it. Google could have tried to train an AI on Desert Bus rather than Doom. It sounds good in theory to think that this character in an RPG could have an inexhaustible supply of dialogue and take the conversation wherever you want but do you really want every conversation with an Elf to end up in an infinite looping monologue about how they love McDonalds burgers and Nike shoes?

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Why pay $60 when you can buy indie game for $10?

Tracee Ellis Ross Wait GIF by BET Awards

Content could be created in Realtime as you play a game. For instance a monster battle game could be released where you just create the monster as you're battling by just saying stuff & letting A.I do it's thing.

Or we could get never ending games with levels that can be generated as you go based on the choices you make.
And this is precisely why it won't take off. It's another cookie-cutter generic design we have seen with AAA gaming as of late. If this is the conclusion we can all arrive to, then it's dead in the water. Game Design is about player engagement not how many levels it can have or how many "content" it can generate.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Maybe. I try to keep up with this stuff and this is the most recent impressive advancement I've seen (along with the article I posted earlier)

My point is that the way AAA games are developed means that indies will have the easiest leeway to base entire games on this stuff. AAA will have to slowly integrate it here and there for a while before we see full blown ai powered games. Sort of the buffer between developments in technology and developments in products that fully use that technology

If the average AAA game takes 4 - 6 years, and it takes roughly 2 to 3 games for devs to completely overhaul their workflow and game engine tech, then a few decades until voice activated in-game level/gameplay generation seems reasonable.

Simpler stuff like ai npcs and all will come in much quicker, but I don't think that's what the op was referring to.

but, eh, I know as little as anyone else, so I could be completely wrong

If current advances keep pace in a couple of years most if not all of the programming will be done with A.I. As will most of the content and art assets.
I’m really looking forward to having deep conversations with A.I npcs. It’s going to be amazing.

In the 90s people believed in flying cars. Nowadays, in magic AI.

I'm more thinking about the dialogue opportunities. Imagine having checkboxes or custom options for your interests and the npcs will then talk about it or the game generates quests or some posters, graffitis etc. with you favorite NFL team, car brand and much more. I think that would be awesome.

No, this would be bullshit. Because no machine can writer better than an actual writer.

What you are saying could be written by two guys in 3 months. Companies don't do it because they are greedy.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I think most people are putting too much faith into AI.
The PS6 will probably just use an NPU, to do upscaling, maybe some NPC dialog and path finding. But not much more advanced than this.

Parazels

What inspiration do you need for sports games or racing sims?
At the same time AI can generate content for these genres. Is it a bad deal?

Skyfox

I think of indie devs who struggle to produce all the artwork for their simple sprite/ 8bit style games.

I would hope that these new tools help them. Consistency is still a problem though.

Hopefully programming games becomes simpler too. This is a major barrier for many would-be developers.

Ultros

Banned
1.vFuck AI
2. I wish ppl woul;d stop calling it AI or drool over it. It's just a code that looks online for stuff and produces something. It's never original which means anything made by it is meh.
People have no idea what a LLM is. AGI is what true AI is. And I believe we will never achieve that. But hey companies would rather use the world AI because it sounds impressive. But there is literally no intelligence behind it. You can write a Python / Julia script and do the same. AI is nothing but snake oil to be honest and it's an industry that is on the verge of collapse. Just like crypto is.

Rickyiez

I hope AI is being used for actual AI. Like more human like behavior as NPC or smarter enemies with more varieties

nemiroff

Gold Member
Well, it's still "just" machine learning, and so we shouldn't overestimate its impact. Perhaps when actual AI comes along in a couple of decades..

But, we desperately need some generative ML assistance all over. Animation, voices and dialogue trees, and procedurally generated missions, etc.; Yes, please, thank you very much, I'll take it.

Minsc

Gold Member
When AI can create complete AAA games from start to finish, entirely without any human input, that will be pretty wild. Copyright/own the AI, and just generate endless profits. No resources to pay, no health insurance, no overtime/crunch, everything is pure profit.

Just AI: Make me 20,000,000 different games, AAA level, and publish them all for release tomorrow.

Last edited:

mitch1971

Gold Member
I've said this before but I'm sure that gaming is going to benefit hugely if AI is implemented in a good way

I see a future where more games are fully voiced etc
Judging by youtube A.I. voice overs, I can't wait for all characters in a game to be voice by Sir David Attenborough.

Top Bottom