• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

KarmaCow

I just ordered the diztronic translucent tpu case for the phone. Not going to lie I like showing off that Nexus logo. What cases are you guys using?

That also has the diztronic logo on it. :/

I'm having a hard time finding a case that doesn't look awful. No idea what to look for in a screen protector either. The reviews are sparse which is to be expected.

bjscott05

Using Matr1x Kernel and stock ROM, I can't send or receive MMS over wifi for some reason. Worked fine with stock kernel from what I remember. Weird.

That also has the diztronic logo on it. :/

I'm having a hard time finding a case that doesn't look awful. No idea what to look for in a screen protector either. The reviews are sparse which is to be expected.

I'm buying a translucent "skin" for the back to protect from scratches and probably some kind of bumper once either Google sort out different colours or a third party does.

Most likely. The life cycle of the nexus phones are a bout a year and a half apart, give or take.
Really hoping for that, this thing looks great, though I'll have to see the screen in real life first.
They'll have a new phone also
Which will also have a new phone price I assume :p Unless they go the Chromebook way, that would be pretty epic (though compared to other phones the Nexus devices are already lower priced for similar specs, or not?).

I don't think the yellow hue on the lower half of the screen is bad at all. It's barely noticeable after a little while of usage.

I kinda miss the amoled on the N One but this screen is larger and all around sexier so I just don't miss it at all.

WoodWERD

Protip: If you go with T-Mobile don't choose to port your number during activation, you'll be stuck in limbo.

Mind elaborating? This is what I was planning on doing. Are you saying to go all the way through activation, and then port after? And can you still do it online or do you have to call?

Also, the wait finally got the best of me so I gave google a call today. My order has been pending since 11/27 (4-5 week wait batch), so I just wanted to see if I could get any more information. The woman told me it's now in 'available to charge' status (or something to that effect), and that I might see another status update in 3-5 days. Not sure if my call helped grease the wheels a bit, but my wallet still just says pending. We'll see what happens.

Mind elaborating? This is what I was planning on doing. Are you saying to go all the way through activation, and then port after? And can you still do it online or do you have to call?

Also, the wait finally got the best of me so I gave google a call today. My order has been pending since 11/27 (4-5 week wait batch), so I just wanted to see if I could get any more information. The woman told me it's now in 'available to charge' status (or something to that effect), and that I might see another status update in 3-5 days. Not sure if my call helped grease the wheels a bit, but my wallet still just says pending. We'll see what happens.

Actually T-Mobile just called me like 10 minutes ago, apparently I had given the wrong pin# for my verizon account so the number transfer was being denied. Got it sorted out in 2 mins.

What happens is this, until the transfer goes through (24-48hrs) you won't be able to log in or add funds to an account (which requires your number to be activated with T-Mobile.) So if, like me, during activation you choose to transfer rather than get a temporary number you won't be able to finish the activation process where it asks you to refill your prepaid account and you'll be met with a generic System Error message that tells you nothing and all you can do is exit the process at that point. Once the number gets ported successfully you'll be able to create an account with that number and add funds.

WoodWERD

Actually T-Mobile just called me like 10 minutes ago, apparently I had given the wrong pin# for my verizon account so the number transfer was being denied. Got it sorted out in 2 mins.

What happens is this, until the transfer goes through (24-48hrs) you won't be able to log in or add funds to an account (which requires your number to be activated with T-Mobile.) So if, like me, during activation you choose to transfer rather than get a temporary number you won't be able to finish the activation process where it asks you to refill your prepaid account and you'll be met with a generic System Error message that tells you nothing and all you can do is exit the process at that point. Once the number gets ported successfully you'll be able to create an account with that number and add funds.

Good to know. So were you still able to use your Verizon phone during that 1-2 days? And did you have to call Verizon to cancel your old account or does the port process take care of that? I've been with Sprint forever so this switching business is new to me.

Good to know. So were you still able to use your Verizon phone during that 1-2 days? And did you have to call Verizon to cancel your old account or does the port process take care of that? I've been with Sprint forever so this switching business is new to me.

Yeah I was able to use it and I didn't have to talk to Verizon at all.

People that ordered their phones recently - how long did it take you to get an updated order status? I ordered mine on the 2nd and it still just says that Google has received my order.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
This case looks pretty good. No gaudy logo at least: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A81H176/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Wish I could use my phone. :/

Protip: If you go with T-Mobile don't choose to port your number during activation, you'll be stuck in limbo.

I was deciding between this and the diztronic one. I went with the latter. The diztronic offered a translucent case and seemed to offer more protection. Gotta show off that sexy Nexus logo.The white rearth did look sexy though.

rykomatsu

This case looks pretty good. No gaudy logo at least: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A81H176/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Wish I could use my phone. :/

I'm using that case. It's pretty nice, but the protection is minimal. The corners are raised slightly so you won't be placing the phone on its front glass. The bezel is exposed on top and bottom and the sides just cover the bezel so the curved front glass can be seen. It's quite sexy imho.

It appears AT&T owns the bands in a few select markets — including Phoenix, Las Vegas, Raleigh, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles and more — and uses it to fill coverage in spots where needed. The coverage area for their share of the Band 4 spectrum is so small that the amount of Nexus 4 owners that might be able to access the LTE network would likely come out to 1% or less.

It’s not the wide-spread coverage we’d want, of course, but there it is. It’s likely AT&T won’t gain much more of that spectrum in the near future as T-Mobile is said to be eyeing it for deployment of its own LTE services. If that were to happen then the Nexus 4 certainly could be up and running on a major LTE network in some official capacity by 2013′s end.

http://phandroid.com/2012/12/10/nexus-4-att-lte/

the gift that keeps giving... if you can get one in your hands!

SimleuqiR

Battery deterioration is a concern.

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/nexus-4-capable-130-degrees-20121211/

Even if the heat wasn’t reaching the surface of the phone and causing a burn risk for users, most chemical batteries experience life expectancy deterioration at 120 degrees. Since the Nexus 4 is a sealed device, and replacing the battery is not something most people will be able to do on their own, it’s clearly a problem as the phone’s Snapdragon S4 Pro can hit 120 degrees or higher. This could lead to an issue in the future where the battery in a Nexus 4 won’t last as long as those in competing, though cooler running, smartphones. All this may serve to explain why Google and LG have yet to release the Qi-based orb charger for the Nexus 4.

First comment says:

you have to remember that it has a lithium polymer instead of a ion. these have much better life expectancy and most hold there charge for about three to five years and then deteriorate.

Not a battery expert so I can't comment.

Hieberrr

I just received my S-Line TPU case from eBay. The back looks nice, but for some reason it looks kind of ugly from both the sides and the front. Oh well, my phone is now protected. It also came with a screen protector, which covers the whle screen with the exception of a small space on the bottom of the glass (kind of nitpicky, but oh well). Otherwise, the case itself is really solid, the sides have textured patterns for a better grip, and buttons are easy to push. I also ordered a Diztronic case, so I'll post some pics and write a little review on it when I get it.

But yeah, if you're looking for a super cheap case, get this one!

freshair

Matr1x gave me decent battery life over stock, but I still found that it dies before the day was over during the weekend when my use goes from moderate to heavy.

BskaD.png
W1GBE.png

Results might be slightly skewed since I also had a 20 min videocall. But otherwise:

- autobrightness
- gps/detect location on (google now location history off)
- gtalk, fb messenger signed in
- dropbox auto upload, g+ instant upload, haxsync on

Now I'm giving Faux's a try again with the new 'eco' mode (and uv -75mv, 1.5ghz/384mhz snakecharmer capped) via his app that is suppose to get great battery w/o comprising [noticeable] performance.

Chairhome

I ordered a case before lunch, then saw that the bumper was back. haha. I was able to cancel my case order, but holy crap, after (mandatory) two-day shipping and tax, the total for the bumper is $27.28 for me. Pretty pricy for a bumper. But whatever.

abunai

what is this media server app anyway?

It's a service which manages the handling of media. There's a bug which causes the server to get stuck on either a) corrupted files or b) particular album art that results in the process continually trying to scan/add/index the files, draining battery. It's a major bug since ICS and it needs to be fixed.

You can fix it by deleting all media and manually re-adding songs/movies until the server usage spikes, which is tedious and shouldn't be required. Or you can add ".nomedia" files in each folder on the sd/internal storage which flags the server to not scan that directory, which is also tedious but not as bad as the former option. I had bad media server drain on stock 4.2.1 with my only multimedia app being PowerAmp and I know that I have zero corrupted files, so...yeah.. Hasn't been an issue since I flashed paranoid android, however.

Blablurn

It's a service which manages the handling of media. There's a bug which causes the server to get stuck on either a) corrupted files or b) particular album art that results in the process continually trying to scan/add/index the files, draining battery. It's a major bug since ICS and it needs to be fixed.

You can fix it by deleting all media and manually re-adding songs/movies until the server usage spikes, which is tedious and shouldn't be required. Or you can add ".nomedia" files in each folder on the sd/internal storage which flags the server to not scan that directory, which is also tedious but not as bad as the former option. I had bad media server drain on stock 4.2.1 with my only multimedia app being PowerAmp and I know that I have zero corrupted files, so...yeah.. Hasn't been an issue since I flashed paranoid android, however.

thanks for the answer :)

what is a .nomedia file? just a generic file (or folder?) with the ending .nomedia´?

Top Bottom