• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

The date on the status page keeps changing it went from November 27th to December 7th. What does this mean? Is this the shipping date? Has this happened to anyone else?

Tattooth

I bought a longer charging cable and it barely charges at all. After about 10 hours it had charged 30%. Is this the case with all longer cables, this one was ten feet, or did I get a bum one?

I've yet to see any real benefit to rooting so I'm just running stock for now. That post saying certain apps dont work on rooted devices didnt help...
Typically, people don't really look for root exploits in devices or make guides when they have a handset that can be unlocked and rooted easily via other means.

Quixzlizx

Is it possible to buy a N4 from the Google store and then use it to activate the T-Mo $30/mo 100 minutes + text/data prepaid plan? It seems like trying to get that plan on the website forces you to buy a phone from their store first instead of just a sim card.

Is it possible to buy a N4 from the Google store and then use it to activate the T-Mo $30/mo 100 minutes + text/data prepaid plan? It seems like trying to get that plan on the website forces you to buy a phone from their store first instead of just a sim card.

Yeah, same exact phone T Mobile is offering. The N4 is unlocked so might as well give it a shot.

Quixzlizx

Yeah, same exact phone T Mobile is offering. The N4 is unlocked so might as well give it a shot.

Well, the problem is that you can't get this plan at a T-mo store. You can only order it on the website, but I think they force you to buy a phone before you can choose that particular plan. The fine print mentions also being able to choose the plan at a Walmart store, so maybe I can do it in-person there with my own phone.

Oh I see...yeah I can't offer advice then. Sorry.

Tomorrow is the day, UPS usually comes around noon. Can't wait. Don't know what to do today to pass the time. :/

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
How long does it realistically take before Google Now makes itself useful? Doesn't seem to do anything for me as of now except tell me what restaurants are nearby.

Took me about a week and half or so. Before the travel time, sports teams, and transit cards popped up.

RJM77

Buy your phone. Then buy a micro sim activation kit.
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/T-Mobile-Micro-SIM-Card-Activation-Kit

Then go here to activate it.
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-activate

cube444

So guys I bought the phone last Sunday and I finally (been busy) just got the LTE micro sim for it about an hour ago. Did a quick speed test on HSPA+ and LTE:

HSPA+ : 20 megs down/ 4 up
LTE : 35 megs down / 11 up

I'm in Toronto.

kitch9

Banned
I'm sure the UK store is operating on a 'last come, first served' basis. I keep seeing stories of people ordering with a 6-7 week estimate then getting it two days later.

Not that I'm impatient or anything..... But I do want it right now.

I think we've been spoiled over the past decade by ordering stuff and it actually getting processed and delivered.

Compare that to Google, one of the biggest companies on the planet where you order....... Then nothing.

gcubed

It's been much closer to a year.

this power arms race has to end at some point. I'm assuming the next nexus will have a 1080p screen and LTE, with a proper GPU to support the screen, but the Nexus 4 will still be available for a cheaper price.

How long does it realistically take before Google Now makes itself useful? Doesn't seem to do anything for me as of now except tell me what restaurants are nearby.
Take it on vacation and you'll be amazed.

I've got my Nexus 7 here in the UK with me and it's blowing my mind on a regular basis.

Sen²

At 6PM CET Amazon.de will discount an inductive charger for Nexus 4 (and other Qi enabled devices).

71HNHOg-mPL._AA1500_.jpg

Regular price is 50€. In case anyone is interested, here is the link.

I GOT MINE. SO AWESOME.

This thing is huge compared to the Nexus One. Jesus CHrist I'm a little overwhelmed at how much Android has changed.

Chili

Would wireless charging work with something like the bumper on? It lifts the phone off the back surface a tiny bit.

Shambles

Any Canadians who ordered last Monday get it yet?

Not from what I've seen. I can put up with a lot but getting treated as a second class customer pisses me off. The USA and Canada phones all ship from the same warehouse yet Canadians who ordered a week, or weeks ago, are being completely ignored while people in the states can order at any time and have the phone be on their doorstep the next day.

There's problems that come from having a shitty system to handle this load, but these issues have nothing to do with that. These are business decisions that Google is making to put the phones up for sale in Canada while they fully intend to not ship us anything for over a month in order to allot as many units as possible to the states. I'm not a happy camper at all.

Quixzlizx

Thanks.

I haven't owned a smartphone before, so how generic are phones when it comes to buying a case? I want to shop for a case, but doing a search for "Nexus 4 case" on Amazon, for instance, does not exactly give precise results. Anyone have particular quality cases to recommend?

KarmaCow

Is the screen fairly scratch resistant? After hearing how slippery it is I'm going to get a case, but I'm wondering if I should just go all out or just a back cover.

cube444

So guys I've had the phone for 8 days total and 1 full day with the micro sim LTE in it but still no OTA updates of 4.2.1 for me.

Should I wait a bit more? Any ideas?

Nope. My order status hasn't changed at all since then. Still says pending.

As does mine. (Bought it for a buddy who couldn't get online for it)

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I just ordered the diztronic translucent tpu case for the phone. Not going to lie I like showing off that Nexus logo. What cases are you guys using?

Chairhome

I'm not getting a dramatic change in battery life with Matr1x like I hoped. Any idea why my battery stats shows my "phone" having "keep awake 2h 30m" on it?

I'm not getting a dramatic change in battery life with Matr1x like I hoped. Any idea why my battery stats shows my "phone" having "keep awake 2h 30m" on it?

There is a bug right now that prevents the phone from going into deep sleep if you have location access turned on.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Download Better Battery Stats.

Top Bottom