• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

mackattk

You don't have to flash a new kernel but there are many changes that help improve performance/battery life. You can still use an AOSP ROM.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1912

I personally use faux's kernel but I have heard great things about Matrix.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.pmw&hl=en

App I use to UV (thanks to whoever suggested that in this thread)

I really want to try this. But I don't want to lose my game data (I am not rooted yet). Will the rooting remove app data?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
How did you do that to the screen? Im waiting on my N4 to arrive and that looks spiffy.

Whoa,, how did you get your lockscreen like that?

Also, wallpaper?

Lockscreen was with the zooper widget, though I should note that that's how it looks when the widget is expanded, it gets squished normally which is something I need to figure out how to avoid.

Homescreen is minimalistic text for the vertical buttons and zooper widget for the clock.

Wallpaper

abunai

I thought unlocking the bootloader wipes everything on the phone.

Unlocking the bootloader does, yeah. To root you don't need to unlock the bootloader though, I was being pedantic, haha. mackattk, you could root and use titanium backup pro to backup appdata for particular apps, then unlock the bootloader (wiping everything) and flash roms/kernels.

mackattk

Unlocking the bootloader does, yeah. To root you don't need to unlock the bootloader though, I was being pedantic, haha. mackattk, you could root and use titanium backup pro to backup appdata for particular apps, then unlock the bootloader (wiping everything) and flash roms/kernels.

I am trying to find a way to root without unlocking the bootloader. The nexus 4 toolkit has this disclaimer:

C2EdO.jpg

I've yet to see any real benefit to rooting so I'm just running stock for now. That post saying certain apps dont work on rooted devices didnt help...

maharg

idspispopd
Strange, I could root on Desire z/galaxy nexus without unlocking the bootloader.

Are you sure you didn't just already have an unlocked bootloader? You're right that rooting doesn't wipe anything, but I've never seen anything about being able to root with a locked bootloader.

abunai

Are you sure you didn't just already have an unlocked bootloader? You're right that rooting doesn't wipe anything, but I've never seen anything about being able to root with a locked bootloader.

seems it was a system exploit that allowed for it, rather than a legit method like normal bootloader unlocking/rooting. My bad!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If I wanted to buy a Nexus 4 how would I go about watching for one?
I prefer the 8 GB model but the 16 will be okay if that's easier to get.

It seems like the only way is to hope that stock comes into the Google store? Not interested in contracts.

derder

It seems like the only way is to hope that stock comes into the Google store? Not interested in contracts.

Check your local craigslist; mine has one for $450 with wireless charging pad.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine

Haz, I would go with the 16gb. The 8gb model is like ~5gb in real use.

Anyway, my xtremeguard screen protector is pretty sucky. My sister assumed that it was scratch proof, so she wiped the screen with a paper towel when i let her use it. Well, the screen protector looks all scuffed up now lol. What a bust.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Check your local craigslist; mine has one for $450 with wireless charging pad.
Does the warranty carry over though?
Haz, I would go with the 16gb. The 8gb model is like ~5gb in real use.

Anyway, my xtremeguard screen protector is pretty sucky. My sister assumed that it was scratch proof, so she wiped the screen with a paper towel when i let her use it. Well, the screen protector looks all scuffed up now lol. What a bust.
I don't store anything on my phone besides like 500MB of music so it doesn't matter to me. However I can get a warrantied Nexus 4 at cost is what I'm looking for.

Should I just use an auto change checker on the store page? I had an inventory scanner on GTX670 launch to get one :eek:

sca2511

Going to agree about Falcon Pro. Awesome application.

16gb seems easier to get. I see it still in stock on the Play Store.

cube444

Guys are there any options out there right now for something decent when it comes to a N4 skin/case?

Can't believe that something as easy to make as a bumper is still out of stock.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Guys are there any options out there right now for something decent when it comes to a N4 skin/case?

Can't believe that something as easy to make as a bumper is still out of stock.

I know...those accessories are hard to come by. Who knows when those bumpers are coming back in stock. I went to best buy today and figured I would ask if they had any accessories. Well of course they did not and as a matter of fact the best buy mobile guy didn't even know what a Nexus 4 was.

Erv

im considering getting this phone but have questions for those who might know. are there any disadvantages of using this phone on straight talk. also, im hearing rumors about a white one launching in the uk. do you guys think that will come to the US, and if it did would it be sold unlocked on the google play store

Rhindle

Just spent my first full day with the phone.

I have to say I'm REALLY positively surprised with the battery life. I got through a 16-hour day with a bunch of calls and lots of downloads with 40% battery life left. After all the mixed reports, that's a real relief.

On the negative side ... people weren't kidding about this thing being slippery as hell. I had it randomly slide off a table once, and drop of my lap several times. It's going to have to get bumpered up at the earliest opportunity.

Any news on an official wireless charging pad, or can you use any old cheap Chinese-made wireless charger off ebay? And if so, any recommendations (UK)?

Any news on an official wireless charging pad, or can you use any old cheap Chinese-made wireless charger off ebay? And if so, any recommendations (UK)?

I just purchased the Maxell Air Voltage charger and it works great. But it isn't "cheap". You can pick one up for £40 from smartgear LTD you can either buy them from :-

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/...0-LG-Nexus-4-Google-Nexus/ListingDetails.html

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxell-Ai...ories_MobilePhoneChargers&hash=item4abf0ef238

both stores are run by the same company so it is down to personal preference which site you buy it from. Here is a vid of the Nexus 4 being used inconjunction with the Maxell :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=quTjyeQU2Ms

This is probably your best bet for wireless charging this side of 2013. The Energizer pad is not being sold in this country, nor is the Philips Qi pad, the LG WCP-700 is only available in America and the Nokia chargers are incompatible with the Nexus 4 (people having lots of problems with them). I wouldn't hold my breath for the Orb to go on sale either you could be waiting months for that and as for cheap chinese knock offs assuming you get one that works would you want to trust your very expensive nice phone with something cheap and nasty ?

Milpool

I never noticed the check box to link the device to your Google account when I ordered since I did it quickly with my phone, does anyone know if this makes the shipping process take longer? Still no change from pending on my UK order which said 1-2 weeks.

JordanKZ

So... My Nexus 4 is being returned next week. Not because I don't completely love it but it seems like I got a bad egg. Constant (and I mean constant) reboots...

Cipherr

On the negative side ... people weren't kidding about this thing being slippery as hell. I had it randomly slide off a table once, and drop of my lap several times. It's going to have to get bumpered up at the earliest opportunity.

Glass back. Worst thing ever.

JordanKZ

Hm. That is weird. Sucks, though. Did you try factory resetting it at all?

Oh hell yeah. So many things. Fastboot worked perfectly, nothing else did 80% of the time. So I tried flashing all stock back, different custom recoveries/ROM's. Nuttin'. Then I unrooted/relocked and went back to stock. It worked okay for about 12 hours. Then it got stuck in boot loops and getting stuck on the Google screen for hours.

So I called up and a replacement is getting sent out.

Oh hell yeah. So many things. Fastboot worked perfectly, nothing else did 80% of the time. So I tried flashing all stock back, different custom recoveries/ROM's. Nuttin'. Then I unrooted/relocked and went back to stock. It worked okay for about 12 hours. Then it got stuck in boot loops and getting stuck on the Google screen for hours.

That's good at least. Hopefully there are no problems with the new one.

I'm wondering how long it'll take for you to receive your replacement.

derder

So, I decided to keep the phone.

How should I back up my SMS and App Data on my Gnex to transfer to my n4?

How should my friend back up his Atrix SMS and App Data to transfer to my Gnex?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Are people getting their orders much earlier than expected not in the US? Been 6 days for my "6-7" week order and it's still pending, as expected.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Placed order on 27th. Arrived yesterday, cut full sim to micro and set up just an hour ago. Came with a free movie, some tv episodes, books & magazines.

Had to add home phone to voice for google 2 step verification, I couldn't see the text it was sending the phone before I set up my google account.

Shagwell

How long does it realistically take before Google Now makes itself useful? Doesn't seem to do anything for me as of now except tell me what restaurants are nearby.

Top Bottom