• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

maharg

idspispopd
Got mine tonight. Definitely feels more substantial in your hand than the gnex, that's for sure. Slippery back is gonna annoy the fuck out of me, but I'm determined to go bumperless (I hate the aesthetics of them, and this is a pretty phone).

This is my first time migrating to a new android phone. For fuck's sake google needs to step up their game on that front. Migrating from one to the other is a hell of a chore. And you need to be rooted to do a proper backup no less. How people who are scared of doing that manage it I can't even imagine.

Random question: Do people actually use Google Wallet NFC to pay for stuff?

I'd like to try it out, but if I go to the Tim Hortons drive-thru to get an iced coffee and try to use it, will they know what the fuck I'm doing?

maharg

idspispopd
Random question: Do people actually use Google Wallet NFC to pay for stuff?

I'd like to try it out, but if I go to the Tim Hortons drive-thru to get an iced coffee and try to use it, will they know what the fuck I'm doing?

Tims? Are you in Canada? You can't actually use it with a Canadian credit card yet, unfortunately. :/

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, Ohio. We've got a ton of them because Wendy's, which is based here, put them all over the place when they owned T-Ho's.
T-hos?!

We just called them Timmys or Tims.... -_-

Phone does get warm fast though. Thing is so light and thin that it can be hard to type and browse since I'm always accidentally touching the screen

Got my N4 here in Canada yesterday. Ordered on the 3rd when the Canadian batch went up for grabs, got in early and was in the 1-2 week shipping bracket. Phone's fucking awesome.

My lord the battery life on this thing is atrocious. Google OS is eating up 40%?! Wth

It's getting 13 hours of LIGHT use before it's completely drained. I know I'm not the only one with this issue. I hate to think what my battery life will look at a year from now.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
UPS is the fucking worst. My Nexus has been sitting in my local warehouse for 2 fucking days and I can't pick it up because they need to try to deliver it first. Fucking morons.

My lord the battery life on this thing is atrocious. Google OS is eating up 40%?! Wth

It's getting 13 hours of LIGHT use before it's completely drained. I know I'm not the only one with this issue. I hate to think what my battery life will look at a year from now.

Have you gone through the last few pages and read the tips?

Hopefully Google updates Jelly Bean soon to fix these battery killing bugs.

UPS is the fucking worst. My Nexus has been sitting in my local warehouse for 2 fucking days and I can't pick it up because they need to try to deliver it first. Fucking morons.

Have you gone through the last few pages and read the tips?

Hopefully Google updates Jelly Bean soon to fix these battery killing bugs.

Going back through the thread now. I've had the phone since launch but just started using it since my Verizon contract just expired Monday. By tips do you mean rooting the phone? Because I'm not sure I want to risk it. Rootng makes me nervous.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Going back through the thread now. I've had the phone since launch but just started using it since my Verizon contract just expired Monday. By tips do you mean rooting the phone? Because I'm not sure I want to risk it. Rootng makes me nervous.

Makes me nervous too though I've never had any issues post root with my other phone. I'll probably root it after the warranty is up and in the meantime disable the Google Music auto-sync and the various sync options in Currents, Maps, Now, +.

MadFerIt

Load a custom kernel, specifically franco r15. Had a similar issue as you (appears to be "wakelocks") and this kernel improved my battery life by at least 60-70%.

Maiar_m

I've had and used it since launch. With very light use, the battery lasts me three days. The micro USB port is really crappy though, those charging orbs can't come out soon enough.

MadFerIt

I've had and used it since launch. With very light use, the battery lasts me three days. The micro USB port is really crappy though, those charging orbs can't come out soon enough.

Are you running completely stock?

Also, haven't had the USB port issues you describe, I actually find this is the best USB port I've used on any phone. Feels like the charger locks into the port, not loose at all very secure.

I really wish Nexus 4 stock was available. Would make the decision very easy for me to switch from Rogers to Wind. Wind has an awesome promo of $29 per month for unlimited everything right now.

I guess I could go for the S3, but it is kind of mid-generation now.

Nexus 4 arrived this morning, just installing all my apps now. First impressions: display is a lot sharper than my Galaxy Nexus, whites no longer have that yellow tint although I do miss the eye-popping vivid colours of sampled. And damn, this thing is fast, installing about 70 apps and have chrome open and its not even missing a beat.

Its going to be a fun evening!

Maiar_m

What do you mean by the micro USB being crappy?

Are you running completely stock?

Also, haven't had the USB port issues you describe, I actually find this is the best USB port I've used on any phone. Feels like the charger locks into the port, not loose at all very secure.

Yes I'm running stock. Very light use = wifi on all the time, 3G too, GPS also, very short commute time.

The USB males i've got seem to find the USB female too large for their taste. I'd describe it in a more graphical way but it'd be NSFW.

Shambles

Yes I'm running stock. Very light use = wifi on all the time, 3G too, GPS also, very short commute time.

The USB males i've got seem to find the USB female too large for their taste. I'd describe it in a more graphical way but it'd be NSFW.

Like a hotdog down a hallway!

I have that problem with monoprice microUSB cables. The little notches on the bottom get worn out or something and there is nothing to anchor the cord into the device. Makes the cable useless.

Never had that issue with other USB cords, though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well, I finally received my customs notification after my phone being in Germany for a month. I can pick up my Nexus 4 tomorrow but unfortunately, I'm busy tomorrow. So in Germany, Christmas is like a week long. Got dammit. That means I'll be able to get it next Wednesday, the earliest. Get fucked, German customs.

I ordered this shit day one and between Google and Germany, it's been over a month. I forgot I bought it.

Cigol

That's insane. I don't get how it can vary so much from phone to phone.
It's down to apps, the OS and their settings. Also don't forget to run the battery down before charging it up full. I'm still hoping for better battery performance with an update to JB but I noticed massive improvements once I tweaked everything.

Reposted from the Android customizations thread.

FDkgR.png

It's a work in progress, but I'm happy with it so far.

Just noticed a weird bug.

Whenever I've got the phone plugged into my laptop and try to use the two-finger swipe to access the quick settings menu, it gets all jittery and unresponsive.

If it's plugged into an AC or running on battery, it's perfectly fine.

WoodWERD

Got my Steinheil screen protectors tonight. Installation was a snap and it looks and feels great. We'll see how it holds up!

Anyone using the Groove IP + T-Mobile $30 plan combo yet? I've managed to burn through 95 of my 100 minutes already haha. Guess I'll be installing tonight.

rc213

Got my Steinheil screen protectors tonight. Installation was a snap and it looks and feels great. We'll see how it holds up!

Anyone using the Groove IP + T-Mobile $30 plan combo yet? I've managed to burn through 95 of my 100 minutes already haha. Guess I'll be installing tonight.

Any pictures?

Groove IP works well although I've been using the same plan but with the Vonage app which has 3000 minutes free and uses your phone number as the caller Id so it seems like you are calling from your regular number.

buhdeh

OK this might sound like hyperbole but this is the best phone I have ever used. The screen ,the feel, the look... God damn love everything about this phone. This is much better than my S3 and almost reminds me of how great the iPhone 4 was at release.

Gonna be sad when the next Nexus comes out and the design inevitably changes. Would love another version of this phone with proper LTE.

The touchscreen sensitivity thing is slightly annoying though I think I'm getting used to tapping a bit harder.

God Damn this thing is so much faster than my Galaxy Nexus. I didn't even realise how choppy scrolling could be on the GN, this just flies through widgets/webpages/app drawer etc. The screen is a hell of a lot sharper, missing the vivid ample colours a bit, but I'm placated by the fact that colour reproduction is probably a lot more accurate now.

I still think that the phone is an update away from greatness (sort the cpu governor Googy) and the lack of quick controls in Chrome is still a source of infinite sadness, but for £279 I'm more than happy.

Battery life has not been great so far, though it's probably because I'm in the new toy phase where I'm playing around with it constantly. Once I start using it like a normal person, I expect it will be perfectly adequate, though not extraordinary.

I have noticed a buzzing in the earpiece when talking on the phone, but it's only when I'm charging it. At all other times it's fine. And since I'm rarely talking on the phone while charging, definitely not a big issue.

Browsing speeds have been fantastic. Not missing LTE in the slightest. I don't know why anyone would need anything faster, to be quite honest. Is LTE really worth the extra battery drain?

Maxrunner

God Damn this thing is so much faster than my Galaxy Nexus. I didn't even realise how choppy scrolling could be on the GN, this just flies through widgets/webpages/app drawer etc. The screen is a hell of a lot sharper, missing the vivid ample colours a bit, but I'm placated by the fact that colour reproduction is probably a lot more accurate now.

I still think that the phone is an update away from greatness (sort the cpu governor Googy) and the lack of quick controls in Chrome is still a source of infinite sadness, but for £279 I'm more than happy.

If there's one area the gnexus will be always better is in the screen. Super Amoled colors are fantastic...

maharg

idspispopd
I'm getting far better battery life out of my nexus 4 than I ever did out of my gnex, personally. Hovering between 1-2%/hr with light use. I always had trouble getting my gnex down below 2-3%/hr no matter how hard I tried. This is running a fairly conservative setcpu configuration on stock kernel, pretty much the same config on both. Also an auto-brightness tool since I find that the stock android's auto-brightness looks to me like basically "OMG LOOK INTO THE SUN" most of the time (also true on both).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's down to apps, the OS and their settings. Also don't forget to run the battery down before charging it up full. I'm still hoping for better battery performance with an update to JB but I noticed massive improvements once I tweaked everything.

You should neve run this type of battery all the way down to empty, it's not good for it. But you basically can't do that anyway, as the phone will turn off before the battery is completely dead. Also, you don't need to fully recharge the battery every time. Charging it at 20% and unplugging it at 70% (or whatever) is perfectly fine, these batteries don't take damage from that like the old ones did.

Or maybe you're just saying that you should let it go through a full "cycle" at least once, and yes, that I've heard is a good idea (mostly to calibrate the phone's battery meter, I believe).

DrFurbs

for everyone who says its very slippery on surfaces and dont want a bumper...why not just glue a small strip if thin rubber to the back of the phone. It will stop it slipping and the 1mm of height will stop micro scratches too?

Im going to do this with mine.

If there's one area the gnexus will be always better is in the screen. Super Amoled colors are fantastic...

Disagree. Pentile ruined the GNex screen. Trust me, if you put them side by side you're going to laugh at how atrocious the GNex is. The N4 has a far better display even with weaker blacks.

Aside from the vibrant (some might say exaggerated colours) I think the Nexus 4 display is the better of the two.

Although I've just come across Nexus 4 Display Control thanks to XDA, so it looks like for a quid you can adjust the colour balance yourself and get those eye-popping colours back.

PaulLFC

Finally decided I need an upgrade from my S2, wanted to wait for the "Nexus 5" (rumoured Sony Nexus phone) but I'm not sure how long that'll be, if it does get released. Looking at the Nexus 4, but it's out of stock. Have Google provided any updates on when they expect it to be back in stock? I'm in the UK if that helps.

WoodWERD

Any pictures?

Groove IP works well although I've been using the same plan but with the Vonage app which has 3000 minutes free and uses your phone number as the caller Id so it seems like you are calling from your regular number.

I can try to take some later but it doesn't look a whole lot different than the stock protectors it shipped with. The Steinheil leaves a little room on the front right and left edges due to the curved glass, but I'm fine with that. Unfortunately I have a small bubble on the back of the phone on the very edge of the top right corner... Tiny piece of fuzz snuck in. I know I'll rarely see it but it still bugs me. Not sure if I can fix it without messing up the plastic or scratching the back.

Vonage sounds good since it would still show my original number instead of my gv number, but the description says the other person has to have the app too? Is that just for their text service or calls too? I only need voip for calls at this point.

My experience with battery life has been OK so far, after I got most of my settings tweaked. I was still at 14% after 25 hours of use. I checked email throughout the day, made some calls, streamed Pandora for 30+minutes, used Wi-Fi, and noticed that maps took up about 10% which I assume is tied to Google now. Loving this thing so far after coming from a galaxy s.

Maxrunner

Disagree. Pentile ruined the GNex screen. Trust me, if you put them side by side you're going to laugh at how atrocious the GNex is. The N4 has a far better display even with weaker blacks.

I already have a nexus 7 and i prefer the colors of Gnex, and i dont even see the whole pentile thing...so yeah atrocious is something it is not....

Now I'm leaning toward getting a pouch for this thing instead of a bumper.

After a few days use, I think it's far less slippery than it was right out of the box. And I really, really love flipping between Chrome tabs over the contoured edges, and I'm afraid having a bumper would ruin that. The official one certainly appears to.

Malvolio

Now I'm leaning toward getting a pouch for this thing instead of a bumper.

After a few days use, I think it's far less slippery than it was right out of the box. And I really, really love flipping between Chrome tabs over the contoured edges, and I'm afraid having a bumper would ruin that. The official one certainly appears to.

The official bumper does eliminate the sweet edges of the surface and the great feel the phone has in general. I have one and I only put it on when I'm headed out. Once I get to the office or back home, the bumper comes off. Luckily it pops in and out pretty easily so using it as a temporary protector is possible.

I just noticed two small-but-noticeable scratches on the back panel.

Fuck. I knew it probably would get a couple eventually, but after two days? Fuck.

Top Bottom