• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Sen²

Can't figure out how to disable the Media Server process. It's at 20%. Got it down to 2% on the gfs N4:mad:

anyone? seems to be random to me. sometimes it sucks 20 or more percent sometimes almost nothing.

The Media Server process should, as far as I know, only be running if you're listening to music or are consuming any other kind of media on your device.

It looks like there is a bug which keeps the process active even if no media is played: Mediaserver drains battery without being used
Some guy on XDA suggested that this only happens if your have some sort of corrupted mp3 files on your phone. Reading through his thread might help: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=980575

NeoRausch

Sen²;47370274 said:
The Media Server process should, as far as I know, only be running if you're listening to music or are consuming any other kind of media on your device.

It looks like there is a bug which keeps the process active even if no media is played: Mediaserver drains battery without being used
Some guy on XDA suggested that this only happens if your have some sort of corrupted mp3 files on your phone. Reading through his thread might help: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=980575
ah, that makes perfect sense. thanks for the Info's and links!
let's hope Google fixes this in the next update.

This is the best case I found after an hour of searching on ebay.

2013012314411073499.jpg

These are pretty good too, very different style from generic cases.

2012120116543573499.jpg

Also, this video review of 3 different type of cases (slim, leather and bumper) should really help those who can't decide on the best case for their needs (like me).

PaulLFC

So is there a consensus for the best case around? Sorry this has probably been asked already.
A lot of people are interested in the Ringke Fusion case but it isn't out yet. I'm waiting for that to release personally.

This is the best case I found after an hour of searching on ebay.

http://www.nillkin.com/uploads//2013012314411073499.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nillkin-Fashion-PU-Flip-Leather-Case-LCD-Guide-For-LG-E960-Google-Nexus-4-New-/271115490240?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1fbe13c0&_uhb=1#ht_14154wt_1397"]These are pretty good too[/URL], very different style from generic cases.

[IMG]http://www.nillkin.com/uploads//2012120116543573499.jpg[IMG]

Also, this [URL="http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-4-accessories/250281-nexus-4-cases-review-rearth-nillkin-poetic.html#post2569658"]video review[/URL] of 3 different type of cases (slim, leather and bumper) should really help those who can't decide on the best case for their needs (like me).[/QUOTE]
Thanks for this, hadn't heard of Nillkin before but I'm thinking of getting [url=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nillkin-Matte-Hard-Cover-Skin-Case-Screen-Protector-for-Google-LG-Nexus-4-E960-/230888514277?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item35c20722e5#shId]this hard case[/url] by them while there doesn't seem to be a confirmed date for the Ringke Fusion.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'll hold off until someone here gets one and gives a review. I am tired of taking one for the team.

don't think it's been posted yet, but the paranoid android guys have released a kernel which seems to brighten up the screen and make it look much more vibrant, i have tried it and it does indeed seem to look much better

https://plus.google.com/107979589566958860409/posts/9VtBVHP67Hg

direct link - http://www.mediafire.com/?xuk1sqi0xqawc3s

also paranoid android is awesome in general! but it works with any rom allegedly

The latest test release of Franco Kernel (r68) also incorporates PA's colour settings. I wouldn't say the screen is brighter though, although blacks are blacker and colours are more vivid.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Yay! It arrived. This thing is awesome. So is it really safe to just cut my sim card?

Cut my gfs and it works flawlessly but I'm waiting to cut mine until I get a case. There's many templates online. I just used the first one that popped up.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The latest test release of Franco Kernel (r68) also incorporates PA's colour settings. I wouldn't say the screen is brighter though, although blacks are blacker and colours are more vivid.

Is there some site to see comparisons and stuff? How's the battery affected? Why isn't Google doing that? :/

whitehawk

Banned
Holy shit. Google maps has an offline mode. I reaaally could have used this when I didn't have a smartphone and all I had was an iPod touch.

Is there some site to see comparisons and stuff? How's the battery affected? Why isn't Google doing that? :/

Haven't seen any comparisons, you'll just have to take people's word for it! Franco's kernel has better battery life than stock kernel, he's incorporated several fixes from Qualcomm for modem/cpu and he has his own power saving fixes as well.

Google is doing this, some of the fixes Franco has incorporated have been passed onto him from people within the Nexus team, although Google have to test test and test some more before pushing out an update, folks like Franco can push out when they want, if people brick their phone (unlikely) then that's their own fault.

Franco Kernel thread at XDA - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2002782
Paranoid Android thread at XDA - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2020336

Holy shit. Google maps has an offline mode. I reaaally could have used this when I didn't have a smartphone and all I had was an iPod touch.
You know, I've had this phone for a few months and didn't know that. Wow. Highlighting all of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) only takes up like 18mb's for offline mode. Mother fucker...awesome.

whitehawk

Banned
most shops can do a quick and easy stamp out. takes like 2 seconds. no need for a new card.
Well I called my store an they said they didn't have that tool but they could give me a new sim card. Hmm. I was kind of worried that since it's technically the service providers property, they wouldn't like it if I cut it. I'm switching carriers soon anyway so they would see the sim card no?

Maybe I'll just go ahead and do it.

.GqueB.

Banned
It's here.

FORo+

Initial thoughts: It's big. So much that I can't use it one handed to reach the top of the device unless I really stretch for it, which is uncomfortable. I think 4.3" would have been better. I like the OS. Lots of freedom to customize the experience makes it feel more like traditional PCs. I have issues with third party apps though, even the ones that were recommended to me.

I want this phone... so... badly.

whitehawk

Banned
lol not sure if teasing or real excitement :(

I came from an iPhone so I'm still learning things about Android everyday.

Whitehawk just cut it for the time being. Takes 2 mins. I'm using a cut Rogers sim myself.
Wait. My sim card looks a bit different than most. Mine has a more rectangular, longer shaped contacts. Different than this one. Do they all work?

LfOq9Del.jpg

Also, just found out you can download emulators without hacking the device. holy shit.

NeoRausch

You know, I've had this phone for a few months and didn't know that. Wow. Highlighting all of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) only takes up like 18mb's for offline mode. Mother fucker...awesome.

what the.... why did nobody tell me this before?

just downloaded my area and EVERYTHING around it. 49MB. I'm good for now :D

PaulLFC

Today has been a successful day, phone wise. I finally ordered a case (this Nillkin one), got my sim card, and - my proudest achievement of the day - managed to install a screen protector without any dust or air bubbles!

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I don't really understand the offline mode. I saved the area around my house, then today I disabled Wifi and tried to get directions within the offline map. It just stayed on "Getting directions" indefinitely. Same for navigation. Maybe it was because I hadn't installed the sim card at that point?

tirant

Anyone else hearing a static noise coming from the earpiece? You have to put your ear very close to it, but it's there all the time.

Today has been a successful day, phone wise. I finally ordered a case (this Nillkin one), got my sim card, and - my proudest achievement of the day - managed to install a screen protector without any dust or air bubbles!

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I don't really understand the offline mode. I saved the area around my house, then today I disabled Wifi and tried to get directions within the offline map. It just stayed on "Getting directions" indefinitely. Same for navigation. Maybe it was because I hadn't installed the sim card at that point?
Nope it does that for me too. I think it needs an internet connection to get directions or we are doing something wrong. I have sim installed so its not that. Apparently its supposed to give directions just not voice directions. Voice needs internet. Well I guess it still comes in handy to be able to have the map load and give myself manual directions. :/

sholmes

Neo Member
My N4 is sitting in Maumee, OH. About 4 hours from Toronto.

So close.

You wanna talk about close? Mine shipped out last Friday at 2am and I was praying I would somehow get it by Saturday (even though I knew it wouldn't happen). I'm in southeast Michigan and it ships from Kentucky.

Well, when I woke up Saturday morning and checked the UPS tracking, it had arrived at the UPS facility near me at 2am. This is the facility that puts it on the trucks for local delivery, and I've picked up packages there in the past after failed delivery attempts.

So, how far away from me did my N4 sit until Monday night? 4.3 miles.

Used Google Wallet for the first time not online, worked flawlessly at CVS. My N4 is not on a carrier yet (will be T-Mobile), so I see how wallet could work fine on an iPod Touch. This phone is so great, coming from an HTC Inc that I have 4.1 on, I am enjoying how much better Jellybean is on a phone that has the power to run it.

sholmes

Neo Member
Nope it does that for me too. I think it needs an internet connection to get directions or we are doing something wrong. I have sim installed so its not that. Apparently its supposed to give directions just not voice directions. Voice needs internet. Well I guess it still comes in handy to be able to have the map load and give myself manual directions. :/

Try entering your destination in the Navigation app while you have a wifi connection. I did that last night before leaving work and the navigation worked flawlessly all the way home. It gave me voice directions throughout.

I never saved any map area for offline use and I still haven't activated the phone on my cell network (no sim card either).

Shambles

Try entering your destination in the Navigation app while you have a wifi connection. I did that last night before leaving work and the navigation worked flawlessly all the way home. It gave me voice directions throughout.

I never saved any map area for offline use and I still haven't activated the phone on my cell network.

It's been a while since I used it last but I think you need data if you're searching for a new location. If you add a location to your favourites I don't think you need data. I'm pretty sure when I went to BC any places I had starred I could navigate too.

But yeah, it's still a fairly shitty setup that Nokia Maps outclasses by a mile.

rinse82

You wanna talk about close? Mine shipped out last Friday at 2am and I was praying I would somehow get it by Saturday (even though I knew it wouldn't happen). I'm in southeast Michigan and it ships from Kentucky.

Well, when I woke up Saturday morning and checked the UPS tracking, it had arrived at the UPS facility near me at 2am. This is the facility that puts it on the trucks for local delivery, and I've picked up packages there in the past after failed delivery attempts.

So, how far away from me did my N4 sit until Monday night? 4.3 miles.

Damn, your feel is definitely worse than mine.

PaulLFC

Offline maps have been available since mid last year.
Do they work though? If my experience is normal then I can't see a use for them, as the only use I could get out of them while offline was similar to if I'd saved a map image and opened it in the gallery.

jgkspsx

Is there a way to check the status of my order? I don't see a link in the confirmation email or on Google Play, but they charged my card, so I imagine it shipped.

Yes, they act more as a reference when you're travelling in a familiar area and don't really need navigation. Similar to a physical street directory.

Also useful if the data connection isn't working due to lack of network, or if you're low on capped data.

jgkspsx

That's depressing. Downloaded maps on Windows Phone are really downloaded maps, and GPS keeps working. It was pretty cool.

jgkspsx

Eww.

I got an official bumper case (because I figured I wouldn't have the chance to get one again for a while) and just preordered a Ringke.

Top Bottom