• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

iirate

Ordered mine *very* early this morning!

I'm upgrading from a 4 year old Blackberry and am going to be slashing my monthly bill by switching to T-Mobile's 100 min/unlimited everything plan - pretty stoked.

Is it possible to order from the US Google Store and have it shipped to Australia? It sold out again here and though I had one in my cart, it wouldn't let me complete the checkout process due to constant errors. I'm desperate for one of these phones as my current iPhone 4 is long overdue for an upgrade. I don't want to wait another three months for a restock. I've been looking at shipping forwarders but I've never used one before and I'm not sure that's the most trustworthy option.

Is it possible to order from the US Google Store and have it shipped to Australia? It sold out again here and though I had one in my cart, it wouldn't let me complete the checkout process due to constant errors. I'm desperate for one of these phones as my current iPhone 4 is long overdue for an upgrade. I don't want to wait another three months for a restock. I've been looking at shipping forwarders but I've never used one before and I'm not sure that's the most trustworthy option.

The 8GB is still in stock. And I do believe that the 16gb will be back in stock soon.

The shipping forwarders are good but by using them, you will spend extra money on the shipping. So it's better to pick it up from Harvey Norman or Kogan for $500, as that is what you will end up paying to the shippers.

Husker86

My port from Verizon to Straight Talk is in progress...Walmart shipped my SIM fast! So excited to be back on Android with lovely screen real estate.

giga

It's here.

FORo+

Initial thoughts: It's big. So much that I can't use it one handed to reach the top of the device unless I really stretch for it, which is uncomfortable. I think 4.3" would have been better. I like the OS. Lots of freedom to customize the experience makes it feel more like traditional PCs. I have issues with third party apps though, even the ones that were recommended to me.

also the best screen i've ever used, definitely the best on a phone, sometimes i hold it up to my retina display mbp and i think it might be sharper even than that

giga

There's no AVRCP 1.3 in Android 4.2. God damn it Google. No track names in my car when streaming BT audio through google music.

PaulLFC

It's here.

http://d.pr/i/FORo+[IMG]

Initial thoughts: It's big. So much that I can't use it one handed to reach the top of the device unless I really stretch for it, which is uncomfortable. I think 4.3" would have been better. I like the OS. Lots of freedom to customize the experience makes it feel more like traditional PCs. I have issues with third party apps though, even the ones that were recommended to me.[/QUOTE]
What issues do you have? A lot of apps were freezing on my S2 on 4.0 but luckily stock 4.2 on the Nexus seems to have fixed that.

As for the screen size, you'll get used to it. When I went from a 3GS to the S2 (4.3") it took me a while to adjust because the phone felt huge in comparison - this time the jump wasn't quite as big so it's not been too bad.

also the best screen i've ever used, definitely the best on a phone, sometimes i hold it up to my retina display mbp and i think it might be sharper even than that

well, that's because it is!

i'd still take the iphone 5, the one X, or the droid DNA's screen over it though.

Husker86

Hm? Where'd you hear this?

I have a few people that usually talk in group messages and I got the first one since I activated my Nexus 4 and it works just like on the iPhone. I even removed GoSMS (which I had to use on previous phones to get group messaging to work, but it was still finicky) and it's still perfect.

calza

UK GAF - what cases are you getting, i'm not interested in bumpers and i'm thinking of a TPU case not sure which one to get.

Has anybody bought the s-line one?

Rengoku

How's the screen sensitivity on the N4? I heard it was up and down.

It seems to be quite inconsistent when it comes to Pinch & Zoom. Theres a noticeable delay when using chrome, or the stock gallery app. But switch to something like Quickpic or Firefox, and the delay is completely gone.

SRG01

UGH. I'm debating on whether to pull the trigger on the N4 or wait until after MWC. It's pretty hard to beat at $350, but the problem is that it has been out of stock for so long that better stuff is just around the corner :(

Also, can anyone comment on the performance/overheating issues that were mentioned months ago? I haven't kept up with the N4 issues at all.

UGH. I'm debating on whether to pull the trigger on the N4 or wait until after MWC. It's pretty hard to beat at $350, but the problem is that it has been out of stock for so long that better stuff is just around the corner :(

There's better stuff now, but what does it cost compared to N4? And when the phones at MWC release what will be around the corner then? I think you should include those two questions along with whatever else you're looking for in a phone when deciding to pull the trigger. FYI I pulled the trigger so I'm biased towards the nexus. ; P

Mine comes tomorrow (Monday), so hype! But have to wait until classes are over.

Also, can anyone comment on the performance/overheating issues that were mentioned months ago? I haven't kept up with the N4 issues at all.

The thought of Motorola's X phone with the Maxx size battery almost makes me wish I had continued to wait. If only the N4 hadn't come back in stock until summer, then my HTC Inc (running 4.1) could have continued to hold me over until then.

whitehawk

Banned
This may be a silly question, but when I get my new phone, is switching phones as easy as putting my current sim card into the Nexus 4? I don't have a data plan yet, but for the time being I'd still like to use the Nexus.

edit: looks like the Nexus 4 uses a microsim. I guess I can just cut it?

edit2: also my phone should be getting here tomorrow or the next day. Can't wait.

SRG01

The thought of Motorola's X phone with the Maxx size battery almost makes me wish I had continued to wait. If only the N4 hadn't come back in stock until summer, then my HTC Inc (running 4.1) could have continued to hold me over until then.

Motorola isn't even on my radar. I've lost complete faith in them :(

PaulLFC

Well that was quick!

Mobilefun have already got the Ringke Fusion case posted earlier up for preorder in case anyone from the UK wants one - £14.95 - link

Husker86

I've noticed that, on mine anyway, if your hand is touching the rounded edges of the glass, the touch screen will become wildly inaccurate and more difficult to control. It can be quite annoying.
Do you mean like your hand is touching part of the touchscreen just barely? I don't think Android has palm/inadvertent touch rejection like iOS. It hasn't been a problem for me but I can make it happen by purposefully making my palm rest on the side of the screen.

I tested the google navigation and it works great. Even the speak to navigate works spot on. Only thing is you need to have it plugged in as the software and gps loves the battery.

Only really annoying thing is that if you add your work email (exchange) it disables the functionality to have lock screen widgets.

Damn FedEx was supposed to deliver tonight, but they ever did. Fuckers!!!

Quick question, is there a way to transfer everything from my gnex to the n4? Like sms, installed apps, music, pics etc? I know there is a way to make a backup image and load that after formatting the phone, because I did it for my gnex while installing yakju on it. But can that be done from one phone to another?

PaulLFC

Damn FedEx was supposed to deliver tonight, but they ever did. Fuckers!!!

Quick question, is there a way to transfer everything from my gnex to the n4? Like sms, installed apps, music, pics etc? I know there is a way to make a backup image and load that after formatting the phone, because I did it for my gnex while installing yakju on it. But can that be done from one phone to another?
My installed apps and some picture folders transferred over simply by logging into the same Google account on the Nexus that I had on my old phone. Haven't found a way to transfer texts though.

tirant

It's here.

http://d.pr/i/FORo+

Initial thoughts: It's big. So much that I can't use it one handed to reach the top of the device unless I really stretch for it, which is uncomfortable. I think 4.3" would have been better. I like the OS. Lots of freedom to customize the experience makes it feel more like traditional PCs. I have issues with third party apps though, even the ones that were recommended to me.

You must have very small hands. Mine are regular size and I can reach the end of the phone easily.

Top Bottom