• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

MoFuzz

Is there a way to check the status of my order? I don't see a link in the confirmation email or on Google Play, but they charged my card, so I imagine it shipped.
If you're logged in on the Google Play site and click on the settings wheel in the top right, it should give you a history of transactions, including (hopefully) your Nexus order.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Quick question. When you plug in a USB cable to the bottom and you move your phone around with it attached does it make any noise? Seems like the USB port is loose as it makes a creaking/squeaking noise.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The Ringke Fusion Hybrid case which I ordered today shipped. I thought that these don't come out until Feb 15th. Oh well.

Rengoku

Is there a way to add contacts to the phone without it uploading the contacts to your gmail account as well?

First, disable contacts sync by going to your Settings > Accounts > Google > YourGmailAccountName and remove the checkmark from the "Contacts" option.

Then you should be able to upload your contacts without it trying to sync.

whitehawk

Banned
First, disable contacts sync by going to your Settings > Accounts > Google > YourGmailAccountName and remove the checkmark from the "Contacts" option.

Then you should be able to upload your contacts without it trying to sync.
Thank you!

Also, is there no included app to just let me jot down notes?

whitehawk

Banned
I've been wanting one too but no, there is no stock memo and pad.
This is blowing my mind.

Also I hate my old phone. I see no way to export my contacts. Only is possibly connecting to to my PC, but it uses some proprietary cable that I don't have. Ugh. I have to add them manually.

Husker86

This is blowing my mind.

Also I hate my old phone. I see no way to export my contacts. Only is possibly connecting to to my PC, but it uses some proprietary cable that I don't have. Ugh. I have to add them manually.

I know this won't help your old phone, but this is why Google contact syncing makes everything so much easier; I'm sure you'll be getting another phone at some point in the future. Are you just not wanting to for privacy reasons?

Anyway, Best Buy used to sell some kits for ~$20 that have sync cables for most feature phones and software to transfer contacts. Might be worth a look if you have a lot. The kit will tell you what phones work.

I think it was this kit (I know the cables looked the same) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00013BJ56/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not sure if they have them in stores anymore, can't find it on their website.

Got my poetic bumper case this morning. The plastic rim is a little more glossy than I would like, (I got the yellow bumper,so it probably shows it up even more) but otherwise it's a good fit, buttons are still responsive and I'm now a little more a confident when my phone inevitably slips of a surface.

Edit: also, playing music through the loudspeaker when laid down doesn't muffle the sound. No more perching my phone on the edge of objects to listen to music!

Fuuuuuu

Just bought one :(

16 gigs is such a small amount of space for my massive library of music but this phone is going to be such a gigantic step up from my iPhone 4. I'm pumped to use flash, download full torrents, and boot up some emulators. Hopefully I can store maps locally on the device for GPS navigation without having to use a data plan. I've been trying to save some cash by just having a unlimited texting plan and was using Navigon on my iPhone for local GPS navigation.

I bet google maps won't let me download maps for turn by turn... No doubt they are all about getting me to use their services and data...

Fuuuuuu

16 gigs is such a small amount of space for my massive library of music but this phone is going to be such a gigantic step up from my iPhone 4. I'm pumped to use flash, download full torrents, and boot up some emulators. Hopefully I can store maps locally on the device for GPS navigation without having to use a data plan. I've been trying to save some cash by just having a unlimited texting plan and was using Navigon on my iPhone for local GPS navigation.

I bet google maps won't let me download maps for turn by turn... No doubt they are all about getting me to use their services and data...

there are other navigation apps that let you download maps, and Google Maps lets you cache map data, though you need a data connection to plot the routes..

Thank you!

Also, is there no included app to just let me jot down notes?
There should be a notes app on stock. I mean that's still pretty damn basic. I was surprised too when I didn't see one. Evernote is probably the best as it syncs to your PC/Mac like the iOS notes app did to iCloud.

Out of curiosity, do we know where the automatic Google sync stores the data it saves? Contacts obviously go into your contact list but it saves other stuff like your app data, wifi passwords etc. Is that backup accessible through a browser to see exactly what got saved?

Husker86

Fuuuuuu

Navigon is available on Android as well. Probably better than the Google Maps offline if you will never have mobile data.

tirant

Does anyone know a way to make the notification led blink with a higher frequency? The default frequency is so low that I have to stare at the phone for some seconds the check if I have notifications. In my old phone the LED didn't blink at all, and it was super easy to check for incoming/mail/calls.

Rengoku

Does anyone know a way to make the notification led blink with a higher frequency? The default frequency is so low that I have to stare at the phone for some seconds the check if I have notifications. In my old phone the LED didn't blink at all, and it was super easy to check for incoming/mail/calls.

Check out the Lightflow App - Link
It lets you change the blink rate for notifications, choose custom colors for different types of notifications on an app by app basis, custom vibration patterns and a bunch of other features.

whitehawk

Banned
You guys weren't kidding about it being super slippery. I put it on a flat surface to watch netflix. While I was looking away, it fell of the table. Luckily it landed on the corner on the way down and then carpet so no damage at all. But I'll have to be super careful. If the surface is slightly tilted, the phone slowly slides off of it
KuGsj.gif

Also I got my sim card. I don't know how I lasted so long without a smart phone. You have to understand I'm coming from this phone. Worthless camera, 350 max stored messages, a limit on notes (wtf?), laggy touchscreen, laggy everything.

7cAgZIJ.jpg

iirate

You guys weren't kidding about it being super slippery. I put it on a flat surface to watch netflix. While I was looking away, it fell of the table. Luckily it landed on the corner on the way down and then carpet so no damage at all. But I'll have to be super careful. If the surface is slightly tilted, the phone slowly slides off of it
KuGsj.gif

Also I got my sim card. I don't know how I lasted so long without a smart phone. You have to understand I'm coming from this phone. Worthless camera, 350 max stored messages, a limit on notes (wtf?), laggy touchscreen, laggy everything.

7cAgZIJ.jpg

I'm coming from a very old smartphone and pretty much everything you said about your old phone applies, except I didn't even have a touchscreen. I'm in love with my Nexus 4, even if it's probably a tad too big.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Talking about notes, why doesn't a freaking 2013 smartphone have an integrated notebook? Do I really have to put up with some random app for that? DO I?!

If yes, which one is quick to use and not overblown cloud shit?

whitehawk

Banned
Talking about notes, why doesn't a freaking 2013 smartphone have an integrated notebook? Do I really have to put up with some random app for that? DO I?!

If yes, which one is quick to use and not overblown cloud shit?
Yeah I don't like the cloud ones either. I found color note which seems to be just a simple text editor.

Also, swype is amazing. It works 90%+ of the time. Makes texting with one hand so easy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anyone who has used an N4 for a while and previously owned a Galaxy Nexus 4G:

- How big a difference is the battery life?
- How big a loss is not having 4G?
- How big a difference is there in photo quality?

Husker86

Anyone who has used an N4 for a while and previously owned a Galaxy Nexus 4G:

- How big a difference is the battery life?
- How big a loss is not having 4G?
- How big a difference is there in photo quality?

Battery life is very noticeably better than the Verizon GN. Standby isn't at iOS level, but this is the first Android phone I've had that I've been satisfied with in regards to battery life (not counting the week I owned a GS3 which also had pretty good battery life).

I switched to Straight Talk with AT&T SIM and the loss of LTE isn't too bad, AT&T (well, most GSM carriers anywhere) 3G is pretty good; several times better than Verizon/Sprint 3G. I won't say that I'm completely happy giving it up, but bundled with other factors such as the incredible amount of money I'm saving made it worth it.

Photos seem quite a bit better on the N4, however I haven't taken that many to compare. There should be a pretty big difference though, the GN camera was pretty bad.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Battery life is very noticeably better than the Verizon GN. Standby isn't at iOS level, but this is the first Android phone I've had that I've been satisfied with in regards to battery life (not counting the week I owned a GS3 which also had pretty good battery life).

I switched to Straight Talk with AT&T SIM and the loss of LTE isn't too bad, AT&T (well, most GSM carriers anywhere) 3G is pretty good; several times better than Verizon/Sprint 3G. I won't say that I'm completely happy giving it up, but bundled with other factors such as the incredible amount of money I'm saving made it worth it.

Photos seem quite a bit better on the N4, however I haven't taken that many to compare. There should be a pretty big difference though, the GN camera was pretty bad.

Thanks for the reply. All sounds so much better. :(

Is the feel in hand different? I've seen and held an N4 in person and while it doesn't feel like my hand is stretching that much more around it, the screen looks a lot bigger. What are your feelings on the AMOLED vs LCD? Have you had any problems with the build quality/glass?

Uuuuuuuuuuurgh leaning so hard to breaking my contract, I just got my GN a year ago but the screen now has terrible banding, the top and bottom row of pixels is always off color (usually straight green), the camera is poor, the battery life can barely make it through a day even when 98% of it is spent on standby...

Maybe I'll just wait until Google I/O tickets go for sale, if I can get one then I may just wait until then...

Husker86

Thanks for the reply. All sounds so much better. :(

Is the feel in hand different? I've seen and held an N4 in person and while it doesn't feel like my hand is stretching that much more around it, the screen looks a lot bigger. What are your feelings on the AMOLED vs LCD? Have you had any problems with the build quality/glass?

Uuuuuuuuuuurgh leaning so hard to breaking my contract, I just got my GN a year ago but the screen now has terrible banding, the top and bottom row of pixels is always off color (usually straight green), the camera is poor, the battery life can barely make it through a day even when 98% of it is spent on standby...

Maybe I'll just wait until Google I/O tickets go for sale, if I can get one then I may just wait until then...

Before I talk about the screen I have to mention that I went from a GNex to an iPhone 5 and now Nexus 4, so I had an LCD buffer phone in between.

I love the screen on the N4. Not only the actual display, but the feel of sliding my thumb off the curved edge when swiping is so much nicer than a rough edge/frame. The display itself is much more consistent throughout; I could see banding on certain colors from the day I got the GNex (though I still liked the screen overall). Also, RGB is better. It took concentration to notice on the 720p screen of the GNex, but pentile IS noticeable and I don't believe anyone who says it isn't! And the nav bar/notification bar doesn't have discoloring like the GNex gets after displaying essentially straight black for so long.

I'm pretty sure they are just about the same width, but the N4 feels more solid, probably because of the glass black. I think the in hand feel is much better. Build quality is great. It was with the iPhone 5 as well but the big difference is the iPhone 5 (and 4/4S) were always somewhat uncomfortable for me because they have sharpish edges around the whole damn thing. N4 is smooth.

One thing that still impresses me is the speed. The N4 is just so damn quick. I used my GNex for a few days while waiting for my N4 and the difference in speed is huge. It starts up as fast or maybe even faster than an iPhone 5 which is something I've never seen an Android phone do.

reKon

Banned
You guys should make sure to root it and get a good kernel like Franco's to get the proper battery life that you should be getting

kehs

Banned
This is blowing my mind.

send yourself .vcards of your contacts.

whitehawk

Banned
Is it normal for a piece in the top of the phone to feel? Whenever I put phone down I hear a little buzz as if something is rattling around a bit. It's a little annoying. The bottom of the phone is fine however.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Before I talk about the screen I have to mention that I went from a GNex to an iPhone 5 and now Nexus 4, so I had an LCD buffer phone in between.

I love the screen on the N4. Not only the actual display, but the feel of sliding my thumb off the curved edge when swiping is so much nicer than a rough edge/frame. The display itself is much more consistent throughout; I could see banding on certain colors from the day I got the GNex (though I still liked the screen overall). Also, RGB is better. It took concentration to notice on the 720p screen of the GNex, but pentile IS noticeable and I don't believe anyone who says it isn't! And the nav bar/notification bar doesn't have discoloring like the GNex gets after displaying essentially straight black for so long.

I'm pretty sure they are just about the same width, but the N4 feels more solid, probably because of the glass black. I think the in hand feel is much better. Build quality is great. It was with the iPhone 5 as well but the big difference is the iPhone 5 (and 4/4S) were always somewhat uncomfortable for me because they have sharpish edges around the whole damn thing. N4 is smooth.

One thing that still impresses me is the speed. The N4 is just so damn quick. I used my GNex for a few days while waiting for my N4 and the difference in speed is huge. It starts up as fast or maybe even faster than an iPhone 5 which is something I've never seen an Android phone do.

STOP MAKING THIS HARD FOR ME!

:p

I asked. Thank you so much for the impressions.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Is it normal for a piece in the top of the phone to feel? Whenever I put phone down I hear a little buzz as if something is rattling around a bit. It's a little annoying. The bottom of the phone is fine however.

Are you talking about the camera lens? Tap the back of the phone near the top and you'll here a rattle. That's normal. It's the auto focus mechanism. Pretty sure the iPhone does it too.

Edit. Yay my replacement N4 is in the way. Google gets a lot if shit but their CS, RMA service is duper easy and quick.

whitehawk

Banned
Are you talking about the camera lens? Tap the back of the phone near the top and you'll here a rattle. That's normal. It's the auto focus mechanism. Pretty sure the iPhone does it too.

Edit. Yay my replacement N4 is in the way. Good gets a lot if shit but their CS, RMA service is duper easy and quick.
oh good. I thought I had made it rattle when I dropped it.

kehs

Banned
So I held an N4 the other day, it felt totally bland, maybe it was too quick or ,maybe it was because of the theft detector thing....but I was a bit disappointed.

Top Bottom