• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

jgkspsx

I wouldn't spend money on any third-party wireless charger unless somebody guarantees that it works with the N4. Droid DNA charges on Nokia Qi chargers, Nexus 4 doesn't.

Husker86

I wouldn't spend money on any third-party wireless charger unless somebody guarantees that it works with the N4. Droid DNA charges on Nokia Qi chargers, Nexus 4 doesn't.
The one I linked earlier that I got from ShopAndroid works well, was $41 with coupon code! I'd link again but I'm on my phone and lazy.

cheesetom

dropped my nexus twice this morning. Missed the coat pocket once and audibly gasped. Missed it a second time and though "Oh, it's going to be one of THESE days."

No scratches on front yet. Ringke slim on the back.

Rengoku

seb

Banned
Anyone having issues connecting to their Enterprise WiFi? My office is on a PEAP network and it doesn't seem to connect. Seems to be a widespread 4.2 issue.
I'm connecting to a PEAP wifi with 4.1. and 4.2 devices just fine. There used to be a bug there but it has been fixed for a while, and even so the workaround was trivial. If I remember correctly, you long press on the network name, delete it, then when it's back in the list of available networks, long press to edit settings and reconnect.

If they can optimise it so that the battery just runs a bit longer. I also found that moving from vodafone to Three sorted out my poor internet experience. Unlimited data for the massis

SimleuqiR

I'm still confused about people complaining about a $10 S&H on top of a phone that's like $200 below market value.

entitlement-problem.gif

My only issue with the charger is the 4 hour charge time. And that's not much of a "problem".

I wish the factory installed screen protector didn't have symbols on it. I would love to keep it the way it is without removing and applying another screen protector.

Otherwise, Android > iOS. What an amazing phone and software!

Shambles

I'm still confused about people complaining about a $10 S&H on top of a phone that's like $200 below market value.

When I can get a $2 item shipped from China for free paying $17 to have it shipped from the USA to Canada seems ridiculous. Even cross-border shipping from Monoprice isn't that expensive for Canadians. Add to that I was not able to combine shipping on my phone and my sisters phone so we ended up paying $34 because they had to go through as separate orders on Dec.3.

Part of it also is it seems dishonest to market a phone as "Check out this $300 phone that is great!". Until you realize that you'll have to buy the $350 one to have a usable amount of space, and then add shipping, and then add the $10 Canada tax which ends up making it a $400 phone. Even at $400 it's a good deal but it still makes the transaction smell a bit fishy because you go in with the expectation you're going to spend around $300.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
When I can get a $2 item shipped from China for free paying $17 to have it shipped from the USA to Canada seems ridiculous. Even cross-border shipping from Monoprice isn't that expensive for Canadians. Add to that I was not able to combine shipping on my phone and my sisters phone so we ended up paying $34 because they had to go through as separate orders on Dec.3.

Part of it also is it seems dishonest to market a phone as "Check out this $300 phone that is great!". Until you realize that you'll have to buy the $350 one to have a usable amount of space, and then add shipping, and then add the $10 Canada tax which ends up making it a $400 phone. Even at $400 it's a good deal but it still makes the transaction smell a bit fishy because you go in with the expectation you're going to spend around $300.

You don't have to buy the 16 GB version, of course you pay tax, and you can pretend $10 shipping makes the phone $310 with free shipping plus tax. There, problem solved.

I'm all about consumer rights but this isn't a battle to pick. You're coming out ahead by several hundred dollars at the end of the day.

Or you can buy any other off contract phone. Someone tell me how much those go for.

Shambles

You don't have to buy the 16 GB version, of course you pay tax, and you can pretend $10 shipping makes the phone $310 with free shipping plus tax. There, problem solved.

I'm all about consumer rights but this isn't a battle to pick. You're coming out ahead by several hundred dollars at the end of the day.

Or you can buy any other off contract phone. Someone tell me how much those go for.

You misunderstand. I am saying people aren't unhappy with what is being offered. People are unhappy that they feel that they've been misled. Had the phone been offered at retail in Canada for $400 after taxes every single person would still have bought one. Also those people looking to buy the Google accessories. Want the bumper? That's an extra $11 shipping, want the wireless charger? That won't be available at the same time either, that's another $17 (or whatever it ends up being) shipping.

By Canadian tax I mean how the device sells for $310/$360 up here instead of $300/$350. Each province has different tax rates which are applied after the base price.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I agree with the accessories bit. I'm not sure when it became standard practice to release accessories months after launch but it's ridiculous. It would be nice to just order the phone, its accessories, and pay one shipping charge. One and done, see you next year.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
You misunderstand. I am saying people aren't unhappy with what is being offered. People are unhappy that they feel that they've been misled. Had the phone been offered at retail in Canada for $400 after taxes every single person would still have bought one. Also those people looking to buy the Google accessories. Want the bumper? That's an extra $11 shipping, want the wireless charger? That won't be available at the same time either, that's another $17 (or whatever it ends up being) shipping.

By Canadian tax I mean how the device sells for $310/$360 up here instead of $300/$350. Each province has different tax rates which are applied after the base price.

It was $422 with shipping and taxes (13%). That's not very far from your $400 ideal price point. Yes it would have been nice to pick it up in store but the logistics would have increased the price. Fido has it for $425 outright.

trixx

I need to get a phone and i need help. i was thinking of getting this phone. My question is where can i find this in Canada and is there a phone on the market comparable in total value.

My parents were going to get me a nexus from mobilicity for 329.99 but i figured it was the old one considering it has a 5mp camera. Since this one is new i figured i should get this.

thanks in advance

WEGGLES

My phone is randomly sending pictures to people????

It sent one to my friend who couldn't figure out what it was, and one to my mom who can't recieve pics on her phone. What gives?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Any reason why the videos I record using the Camera app can't be watched/played in the Gallery app.

Seems a little ass backwards.

The recorded videos play fine using VLC.

Edit- works fine with VLC uninstalled. Ugh.

Any reason why the videos I record using the Camera app can't be watched/played in the Gallery app.

That's android for you :/

Why there's no shorcut for the galley from the camera app is beyond me.

Husker86

That's android for you :/

Why there's no shorcut for the galley from the camera app is beyond me.

What's the problem? I just have it to always use "video player" to play videos from the Gallery; it's relatively seamless. And you just need to swipe to the right while in the Camera app to get to the Gallery.

edit: You had VLC set to default, all you had to do was "Clear Defaults" for VLC app, then next time you open video in Gallery select "Video Player" as default.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
What's the problem? I just have it to always use "video player" to play videos from the Gallery; it's relatively seamless. And you just need to swipe to the right while in the Camera app to get to the Gallery.

edit: You had VLC set to default, all you had to do was "Clear Defaults" for VLC app, then next time you open video in Gallery select "Video Player" as default.

Download VLC and record a video using the camera app then try to play it gallery. Doesn't work unless vlc is uninstalled.

Edit- Thank you Husker! Got it!

I've tried that several times already with no luck.

Do you have another carrier that you can test with? I also had to restart the phone after inserting the new sim. Also what you can try is to go to the network settings and manually scan for your network and selecting it.

Settings - more - mobile networks - network operators

Let it search and then select your operator. Then restart

Do you have another carrier that you can test with? I also had to restart the phone after inserting the new sim. Also what you can try is to go to the network settings and manually scan for your network and selecting it.

Settings - more - mobile networks - network operators

Let it search and then select your operator. Then restart

I just tried that and I keep getting a "Your SIM card doesn't allow a connection to this network."

ttony678

Neo Member
Hey everyone. I've had a LG Rumor Touch
for 2 years now and I'm considering this phone.

What is a great monthly plan? I've never had a phone
that was month-to-month.

Either way I am positive that this would be
a huge step up from what I currently have.

Number45

^^ you might want to let us know where you are if you're looking for deals. I don't think there's a better deal overall than buying the phone outright through, and you'll have a lot more, cheaper options for the contract that way.

WoodWERD

The $30 t-mobile plan is working pretty well for me so far. I bought the groove IP app to avoid the 100 minute limitation. VOIP isn't great over 3G/4G, but works pretty well over wi-fi from what I've experienced. Data speeds have been pretty good here in Austin (~15mb/s), but my buddy's ATT iphone nearly doubles that on LTE.

Can we get some more case pictures up in here? I wanted to try to get away with only a screen protector on front and back (which has been more than fine so far), but I plan to travel in the future and it's only a matter of time til I drop this thing. Is there any consensus on the slimmest and strongest case out there?

ttony678

Neo Member
I'm in Riverside, California. Also I do plan on buying the unlocked
phone from the play store.

30$ a month? What does that include?

Thanks for your guy's help!

PaulLFC

Just got some NFC tags from Amazon today, been messing with them to see what they can do. So far I have one that turns on Wifi and disables data for when I'm at home, and another by the door that disables Wifi and enables data for when I go to catch the train to work.

Very lazy, but until I can think of something better to use them for, it'll do. I'll probably change one of them into a switch tag so it can toggle the settings instead of using two tags.

Top Bottom