• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

rc213

\
643f5c93-5dcf-4184-9529-969954f9e599_zps4092365e.jpg

Nice!

:/ I wish I knew about that $30 dollars plan, it seems it's for new activations only

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

Just got some NFC tags from Amazon today, been messing with them to see what they can do. So far I have one that turns on Wifi and disables data for when I'm at home, and another by the door that disables Wifi and enables data for when I go to catch the train to work.

Very lazy, but until I can think of something better to use them for, it'll do. I'll probably change one of them into a switch tag so it can toggle the settings instead of using two tags.

How close do you have to be for them to work?

Nexus 4 JDQ39 4.2.2 OTA Update Removes Unofficial LTE on Band 4

Just after it launched, we discussed how the Nexus 4 included undocumented support for LTE on Band 4 (AWS) which could be enabled simply by choosing the appropriate RAT (Radio Access Technology) under Phone Info (by dialing *#*#4636#*#* - INFO). Back then, I noted that it was highly unlikely this would stick around for very long without the proper FCC paperwork, and although it took a bit longer than I expected, today's 4.2.2 update does away with this unofficial support for LTE entirely.

Gonna give it a few days to see the general reaction to 4.2.2 before flashing back to stock. Maybe Google has forgotten about March this time or something. I hope that battery life has been improved, or back to Franco I go.

Gah, this term around here lately, maaaan.

Heh heh heh.

DXPett1

I would say there has been kernel changes (whether that equals improvements or not ??) as I know a couple with N4s that ran hot have noticed with 4.2.2 it runs a lot cooler. Maybe that will improve battery life

Software Version available now for the Nexus 4.

========================
When it shows, there will be a pair of small additional rewards for running the latest hardware -- the Nexus 4 now plays a unique sound when wireless charging kicks in, as well as an updated low-battery sound. We wouldn't upgrade just to get the new tones, but they cap what's proving to be a more significant update than the version number would suggest.
========================

rinse82

Yeah, I re-flashed the 4.2.1 radio and have LTE again.

I'm reading 4.2.2 has improved battery life, might not have to go back to franco afterall.

Talon

You can still get LTE back though on 4.2.2. You just need to flash the old radio to replace the new one. You need to be rooted of course.
All this is absolute confirmation that there are no plans for official band 4 LTE support...but we already knew that.

I need an external battery pack charger thing. Headed to SXSW in three weeks and know I won't get through a full day. How many mah should I get to double/triple my battery life?

My order is due to arrive in Toronto this coming Tuesday. I noticed that it's being shipped via UPS and I seem to remember having to pay a bullshit customs handling fee to them to get my order. Has any other Canadian received the Nexus 4 and had to pay the charge or am I thinking of Purolator?

Shambles

My order is due to arrive in Toronto this coming Tuesday. I noticed that it's being shipped via UPS and I seem to remember having to pay a bullshit customs handling fee to them to get my order. Has any other Canadian received the Nexus 4 and had to pay the charge or am I thinking of Purolator?

I think both companies try to pull the same crap but no, you won't get charged extra fees at the door.

I see the 4.2.2 update notification now as well. Although I also noticed it's saying that it's only available via wifi. That seems very strange to me.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
2nd RMA Nexus 4 on the way. The first replacement had excessive ear piece noise. The buttons were pretty much recessed into the casing and it made strange popping noises.

Fucking balls.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My GN 4G was down to an appalling 13% battery left when I left work at 7:30 tonight. I listened to music for about 30 minutes on the way to work and did some very light browsing, but that's it.

I think... it's time to break my contract and get an N4.

Doesn't help my usually Android hating friend got one and says he actually likes it.

trixx

I need to get a new phone should i get this or last years galaxy nexus. I don't want to spend too much money though. The phone providers in Canda is offering the Nexus 4 for $549 whereas the Galaxy nexus is going for $350.

GAF, I saw my first nexus 4 in the wild and it had the best looking/feeling bumper case I have ever seen or felt. Sadly, the owner was not 100% sure who the manufacturer was and only that he bought it from Google when he ordered the phone. I would kill for something similar for my GS3. Anyone know if Google licensed out the official accessories to someone who I hope makes other bumper cases, or am I shit out of luck on this one?

Rhindle

My Nexus 4 died at the tender age of 7 weeks.

The battery had been flaky from the start and had trouble recharging when it completely ran down. Yesterday, it just ran down and refused to charge at all.

The good news is that Google's customer service is pretty damn good. They had a replacement out within hours of calling them and it should arrive tomorrow.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't. Whoever declared it probably declared it wrong.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
whhhhyyy?

Supposedly to make a more consistent UI. Though I don't agree with it. It's weird having buttons in the middle of my long ass 16:10 Nexus tablet. Ridiculous.

Android looks like such crap running on a desktop. Would it be possible to install a partition of Chrome OS on the phone? Sounds complex so probably not. Anyway, I suppose if that's all you have, it's still pretty cool and better than nothing.

Finally got my Nexus 4, now time for questions/help:

- The screen looks really washed out, looking on the XDA forums i saw some people talking about fixing the gamma by rooting and installing a kernel thingy to change the gamma on the screen. What are the consequnces of rooting?

- I can't navigate the system settings probably, so can anyone tell me where the hell Google hid the "don't disturb me between this and that hour" and where I can disable notification sounds individually (no sound when emails come in, only text and calls).

- I can't seem to find the place where I can change widgets for my lockscreen, anyone?

Top Bottom