• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

kehs

Banned
I don't think the n4 ever presented tablet mode via hdmi.

You guys are thinking of the superior Razr and padfone.

Finally got my Nexus 4, now time for questions/help:

- The screen looks really washed out, looking on the XDA forums i saw some people talking about fixing the gamma by rooting and installing a kernel thingy to change the gamma on the screen. What are the consequnces of rooting?

- I can't navigate the system settings probably, so can anyone tell me where the hell Google hid the "don't disturb me between this and that hour" and where I can disable notification sounds individually (no sound when emails come in, only text and calls).

- I can't seem to find the place where I can change widgets for my lockscreen, anyone?

The screen does appear washed out, especially if you compare it side by side with an amoled screen like the gnex. The gamma fix seemed to have fixed that (I read it on XDA as well) but haven't tried it (neither do I know how and what to install).

Best you root your N4 before setting up any accounts and apps.

For lockscreen widgets, simply swipe left on the lockscreen. Put your finger on the left edge of the screen and swipe in the opposite direction.

Right takes you to the camera, left takes you to add widget screen. Click on add icon, select required widget(s).

Notification sounds etc have to be selected from the email app itself. You can specify different settings for each email account you have.

KorrZ

After being an iPhone user exclusively for years, I finally bought a Nexus 4 last night to replace my iPhone 4. Android here I come! Question: Are Nexus' still taking ridiculously long to ship? If anyone who's ordered recently could tell me how long I should expect to wait, I'd appreciate it (Canada btw).

After being an iPhone user exclusively for years, I finally bought a Nexus 4 last night to replace my iPhone 4. Android here I come! Question: Are Nexus' still taking ridiculously long to ship? If anyone who's ordered recently could tell me how long I should expect to wait, I'd appreciate it (Canada btw).

I'm in the GTA and had mine ship out the day after I ordered it.

Rengoku

It also depends if you bought the bumper as well. My co-worker bought the 16GB and the bumper, and it took almost 2 weeks for her to get the shipment.

Mrcapcom

Sup Guys I got my Nexus 4 a couple weeks back love it so much. Been to busy to put a rom on it and stuff so im rooted/unlocked stock.

Sen²

Finally got my Nexus 4, now time for questions/help:

- The screen looks really washed out, looking on the XDA forums i saw some people talking about fixing the gamma by rooting and installing a kernel thingy to change the gamma on the screen. What are the consequnces of rooting?
It's somewhat comparable to an administrater account on Windows PCs as opposed to regular accounts. Wikipedia article on rooting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_rooting

- I can't navigate the system settings probably, so can anyone tell me where the hell Google hid the "don't disturb me between this and that hour" and where I can disable notification sounds individually (no sound when emails come in, only text and calls).
As far as I know, there is no built-in setting which can do that. I usually just hold the power button and mute it or go into airplane mode. A friend of mine uses Silent Time (Link), I think that's what you're looking for.

- I can't seem to find the place where I can change widgets for my lockscreen, anyone?
Switch to the leftmost lockscreen and tap the "+". Tap and hold to re-arrange. The lockscreen at the far right is the one which shows by default when you turn on your screen (I think).

My charging orb came this morning. So far it seems great and it uses rubberized traction rings rather than magnets from what I can tell. Doesn't seem too hot temperature wise upon use either.

WoodWERD

I'm in Riverside, California. Also I do plan on buying the unlocked
phone from the play store.

30$ a month? What does that include?

Thanks for your guy's help!

There's a link to it somewhere in this thread...couldn't find it in my posts. It's unlimited data + text and 100 anytime minutes. 0.10 a minute after that.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I just received my wireless charger. I don't know why, but I was actually expecting that I'd be able to charge the orb for a certain amount of time, and then have the phone charge directly off of that. Clearly I need to research my products more carefully.

Just updated. MA here.
Same here. Got the update two hours ago.

Goldrush

Got the wireless charger. Strong grip, to the point that I doubt that it's possible to remove it with one hand.

Thanks to the angle, the daydream feature is useful now, especially with current. Expanding this feature and integrating it with other services can really make it a selling point.

Reverted to stock kernel, flashed the OTA package in ClowckworkMod, now on stock 4.2.2. Going to give it a whirl for a day or two to see how the battery life is, although I'm already missing the colour settings on Franco. :-(

sholmes

Neo Member
So, I bit:

8477775726_417dc9a290.jpg

It looks like it could bounce around in the packaging pretty easily during shipment. Not really secured tightly.

8477776114_d573a5aa62.jpg

8477776922_f6797d3b13.jpg

Note the dust all over the orb. It came like that from the factory (shipped from Kentucky). There's a plastic film over the face.

8477779210_6ee4e87c30.jpg

8476687327_bdd5e7557c.jpg

8476689107_a502690958.jpg

Nico and Noko trying to figure out how the phone charges without being plugged in:

8476686767_fb70b3c0c9.jpg

8476686449_c672a47526.jpg

Tackiness holds it very well. No concern whatsoever. And this is with the factory film/skin still on the N4.

8477775910_3d4b6b8c85.jpg

8477775536_9045715880.jpg

sholmes

Neo Member
Two more photos of the face of the charger:

8477868660_24f781ddd2.jpg

The material is a bit raised in a few areas (just looks like manufacturing flaws). Two spots pointed out here:

8477881314_a9c7ebfbdf.jpg

One random note: the face of the orb smells like paint.

sholmes

Neo Member
Awesome photos. What camera do you use?

Thanks. Nikon D90 with 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens. Although the 4th and 6th photos were taken with an iPhone 4.

Only annoyance with the Nikon is that it makes all photos taken in my house have a significant yellow hue to them. I adjusted the color on each of those photos to better reflect the real color, but that was the only adjustment. I'm still learning DSLRs.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Some more random questions:

- What use is the bumper?
- Has anyone cracked their back yet? How tough is the glass? Josh Topolsky made a big deal out of his breaking.

Sooooooooo close to pulling the trigger. I just need to know how much breaking my contract with Verizon is going to sink me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hmm, but aren't the sides rubberized?

To me I would think the phone would be wide enough.

Sen²;47763543 said:
It's somewhat comparable to an administrater account on Windows PCs as opposed to regular accounts. Wikipedia article on rooting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_rooting

As far as I know, there is no built-in setting which can do that. I usually just hold the power button and mute it or go into airplane mode. A friend of mine uses Silent Time (Link), I think that's what you're looking for.

Switch to the leftmost lockscreen and tap the "+". Tap and hold to re-arrange. The lockscreen at the far right is the one which shows by default when you turn on your screen (I think).

Does rooting lock me out of getting new updates from Google or any kind of negative consequences?

Nope, just remember to re-root once you get an OTA.

There are some apps that won't run on a rooted device, few Square Enix games and also banking apps can be finicky about it.

You don't need to re-root after an OTA update. You can use Voodoo OTA rootkeeper to protect your root during the OTA installation. And if you're running CWM recovery, it actually prompts you to protect root during the installation itself.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Hmm, but aren't the sides rubberized?

To me I would think the phone would be wide enough.
I'm of that same opinion, but considering most people use bumpers or cases, it seems that's not the consensus. I also don't find the phone particularly slippery though.

iirate

Just got my Ringke Fusion case in yesterday... total disappointment. The side buttons are way worse than on my bumper and the clear back plastic feels cheap and doesn't preserve the look of the back at all.

iirate

I like the feel of the bumper a lot more than the naked phone, which is rubbery and a bit cheap. And most of the phone damage I have had has been corners.

Yep, <3 my bumper. Adds a ton to the grip and potentially helps in case of the inevitable drop without really hampering any other aspect of the experience.

The added size isn't really an issue, at least for me. My hands are already small, so it's already hard to properly grip the thing without bumpers, and the bumper helps me keep hold when my hand isn't wrapped completely around the back of the device. I wasn't really interested in one, just picked one up while waiting on a case that I liked, but now that I've used one, I'm not going back to anything else.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Just got my Ringke Fusion case in yesterday... total disappointment. The side buttons are way worse than on my bumper and the clear back plastic feels cheap and doesn't preserve the look of the back at all.

Damn:-(

I have two on the way. Care to take some pictures?

Top Bottom