• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

PaulLFC

What determines when the update gets pushed to each phone? Is it the carriers? I haven't had a notification yet in the UK, but some people have already managed to update. I keep checking for updates every few hours or so but it's not detecting anything at the moment.

What determines when the update gets pushed to each phone? Is it the carriers? I haven't had a notification yet in the UK, but some people have already managed to update. I keep checking for updates every few hours or so but it's not detecting anything at the moment.

I don't think anybody knows, seems to be completely random. Google makes it available to be pushed out in 'batches', though how they determine this is anyone's guess.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
For those who bought the wireless charging orb, is it completely silent ?
I've got a QI charger (can't remember the brand right now), and while it's totally silent when it charges the phone, it makes a very small, but quite audible at night, click noise every few seconds when it's looking for a device to charge (either no phone on it, or phone 100% charged). It's not horrible, but it's a bit annoying. I might go for the orb if it's completely silent :)

cheers guys, I am just going to reboot and see if it sees the update in the system settings

Edt-1 after reboot still dont see the update. Maybe i have to be on wifi

WoodWERD

What's better, the official bumper or the poetic one?

Bumping (hehe!) for the new page. Is there a big difference between the OEM bumper and the 3rd party options besides colors? I've been rocking the Steinheil protectors on front and back which have served me well so far, but I feel like I'm tempting fate by not having more protection. The Fusion was interesting but I had a feeling it might feel cheap, so I guess the bumper is the best bet for added protection without a lot of bulk?

For those who bought the wireless charging orb, is it completely silent ?
I've got a QI charger (can't remember the brand right now), and while it's totally silent when it charges the phone, it makes a very small, but quite audible at night, click noise every few seconds when it's looking for a device to charge (either no phone on it, or phone 100% charged). It's not horrible, but it's a bit annoying. I might go for the orb if it's completely silent :)

Yes, no noise from the orb. I'm very happy with it so far-- it works perfectly.

I got it in the UK a few days ago. Didn't have to force it either. And yup, I had to be on WiFi (though it notified me that the update was available prior to that).

Weird, its not showing up for me. I tried on 3G and wifi. Browse to settings - about phone - system updates (check now) and its just updates the time.

I have also tried this:
1. Go to Settings -> Apps -> All
2. Find Google Services Framework.
3. Tap on Force Stop.
4. Select Clear Data.

Still now 4.2.2 update

Alright my battery has been acting glitchy lately. I'm sure the blame goes to the update. Not sure if it had to do with the update or my charger...

Ok manage to get it to find the new software version. Here is what I had to do to get it to show up

Go to Location Access
Turn off Access to my Location

go to settings -> apps -> all

scroll down to Google-Services-Framework

force stop and delete data

then go to settings ->about-> system updates and it should say last update 01.01.1970

check for updates and it should work

Plug charger in and let the update run. Almost boxed and sold the phone

Hieberrr

Ok manage to get it to find the new software version. Here is what I had to do to get it to show up

Go to Location Access

then go to settings ->about-> system updates and it should say last update 01.01.1970

Because of an update? WTF...

Kozmo

Yeh man... if a new phone cannot do the basics without problems then I would sell it. I only bought it to test it and to see if I can get the hang of android. So far its good.

These updates don't all hit everyone at the same time. Even within the same region. I'd suggest you to be more reasonable.

Its all working now... at least I have learnt something today and thats always good. I dont really want to go into ping pong posting of what it should and shouldn't have done. At least now if someone runs into the same trouble there is a way to force the update.

iirate

Its all working now... at least I have learnt something today and thats always good. I dont really want to go into ping pong posting of what it should and shouldn't have done. At least now if someone runs into the same trouble there is a way to force the update.

Except it isn't a guaranteed thing. I've done it(exactly as you described) and am still waiting on my update. I've seen others in the thread say the same. It is a reality that the same may happen to you at one point, I recommend a little patience.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If you have no patience such that you're readying to return the phone, just flash the .zip

DrFurbs

Go to Location Access

This works - thank you !

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The build quality on these fucking things has reached Nexus 7 levels of garbage. My Nexus 4 from December 3rd no longer has a functioning volume rocker.

3 Nexus 7's replaced and this will be RMA number 4 for the Nexus 4. You get what you pay for I guess. Ugh.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
You won't get it if you've flashed kernals and what not...

I regret flashing the Franco kernel because it's a pain in the ass to go back to stock so I can get the 4.2.2 firmware. XDA developers forum is near indecipherable but I tried following instructions to reflash the stock kernel and it didn't work :(

I regret flashing the Franco kernel because it's a pain in the ass to go back to stock so I can get the 4.2.2 firmware. XDA developers forum is near indecipherable but I tried following instructions to reflash the stock kernel and it didn't work :(

Just follow these instructions :http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=37993017&postcount=12903

All you need is clockworkmod to flash the kernel, then a file explorer with root permissions to delete/edit the power hal files. (ES File Explorer is free).

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
The build quality on these fucking things has reached Nexus 7 levels of garbage. My Nexus 4 from December 3rd no longer has a functioning volume rocker.

3 Nexus 7's replaced and this will be RMA number 4 for the Nexus 4. You get what you pay for I guess. Ugh.

My Nexus 4 from early December is still perfect. Other than hearing about the glass being a bit fragile, this thing is solidly built IMO.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The Nexus 4's buttons are my biggest problem with the device. I'm really afraid that they're going to be pushed in or give out. Other than that, I love the thing.

so you flashed a kernel but want to use an OTA to update to 4.2.2? can't you just update it manually?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The Nexus 4's buttons are my biggest problem with the device. I'm really afraid that they're going to be pushed in or give out. Other than that, I love the thing.

That was the issue with my 3rd N4. The power and volume buttons came recessed as flat as the casing right out of the box. I had to use my finger nail to power it on. Nothing like RMAing a phone an hour after delivery.

Dec 3 N4: non functional volume rocker
Jan 29 N4: loose USB port, loud static earpiece
Feb 7 N4: recessed buttons, loud static earpiece

Let's see what this weeks N4 has in store. Hopefully the kids making these had a couple of hours off before making the batch my replacement is out of.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
so you flashed a kernel but want to use an OTA to update to 4.2.2? can't you just update it manually?

I would, but doesn't that erase the memory and reset everything to factory conditions?

Can I make a batch backup of my apps / settings in Titanium Backup, flash 4.2.2, then restore all my original settings via Titanium? Does that work when the restoration is going to a different firmware?

kitch9

Banned

I had same problem.

Download the full rom here:

https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/occam-jdq39-factory-345dc199.tgz

Extract in via 7zip, then extract the Tar file inside then finally extract the zipped image file also.

You should have in the various folders 6 image files for the bootloader, radio, system, userdata, recovery and boot.

In stock recovery you have to flash them all seperately (Except userdata if you want to keep data)

Make sure boot is flashed to the boot partition and radio is flashed to the radio partition ect ect.

ReconPeon

This is frustrating. I ordered the 8 gig nexus 4 on the 16th when it was at the two to three week shipping period, but today it moved to one to two weeks. Will I still receive mine before people who order today, or should I still expect two to three weeks?

I had same problem.

Download the full rom here:

https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/occam-jdq39-factory-345dc199.tgz

Extract in via 7zip, then extract the Tar file inside then finally extract the zipped image file also.

You should have in the various folders 6 image files for the bootloader, radio, system, userdata, recovery and boot.

In stock recovery you have to flash them all seperately (Except userdata if you want to keep data)

Make sure boot is flashed to the boot partition and radio is flashed to the radio partition ect ect.

Is system the actual "update"? I'm rooted with a custom kernel, CM recovery, blah blah blah. I just want to update to the latest version. Not go back to the old bootloader, recovery, and whatnot. Is this method you listed an alternative to going back to stock kernel (well, 4.2.1 kernel) and I can just do this and still stay on a custom kernel?

And on that note, what are people using for custom roms? Obviously still on stock but wouldn't mind trying out something new.

And did someone mention that the new update doesn't allow you to choose the phone silence/vibrate/sound on from the power button?

I too had trouble going from Franco kernel back to stock in order to update to 4.2.2. But eventually I got it. Makes me not want to mess with kernels anymore since with 4.2.2 and stock kernel battery life seems improved. But time will tell.

Just wanted to say that since the 4.2.2 update, I've been noticing way, way better battery life.

Between that and loving the charging orb, I'm have a renewed love affair with my N4 :)

buhdeh

Yep my battery life feels way better. End of the work day and I'm at around 70 - 75% whereas before I would be close to 50%. Good stuff. Don't miss the LTE on my old S3 at all when I get battery life like this.

I have been doing some testing with the google nav and google voice and they are getting it spot on so far. I like the switch to street view as you get close to your destination.

Toge

anyone know where i can import/buy a ringke slim without being raeped on postage? looking to spend under £15 quid

Just got my Ringke Fusion case... I'm a little undecided if I want to use this. The back is nice and the rubber sides feel good but I don't know if I'm too crazy about the buttons for the power and volume rocker.

I've really come to love the buttons on the official bumper case, it was one of the biggest surprises when I got mine. I think if someone put a hard back on the bumper it would be the perfect case for me.

Aad

I've had mine for a few days now. The screen could have been better but for £279 I shouldn't be complaining. Amazed at how lightning quick it is.
ix5D93kssWSdy.png
iSqkv0lPrveys.png
ivC923DKn4YjO.png
inaDXyFKIH3t.png

aznpxdd

Just got my Ringke Fusion case... I'm a little undecided if I want to use this. The back is nice and the rubber sides feel good but I don't know if I'm too crazy about the buttons for the power and volume rocker.

I've really come to love the buttons on the official bumper case, it was one of the biggest surprises when I got mine. I think if someone put a hard back on the bumper it would be the perfect case for me.

Yep. Got my fusion case, but went right back to my bumper right away. Hate those buttons, and the phone feels much bulkier with the case than the bumper.

Top Bottom