• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

jgkspsx

If somebody wants to buy an unopened Ringke Fusion case, it would save me the hassle and guilt of returning it unopened. I just really like the official bumper (though it does seem to be getting looser already). I paid about $13 for it shipped.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I had same problem.

Download the full rom here:

https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/occam-jdq39-factory-345dc199.tgz

Extract in via 7zip, then extract the Tar file inside then finally extract the zipped image file also.

You should have in the various folders 6 image files for the bootloader, radio, system, userdata, recovery and boot.

In stock recovery you have to flash them all seperately (Except userdata if you want to keep data)

Make sure boot is flashed to the boot partition and radio is flashed to the radio partition ect ect.

Can you give me the dummy's guide for how to flash the images separately? I have the Nexus Root Toolkit on my PC and I tried flashing the boot image to the boot partition using the toolkit, but it just hanged on the black bootup screen for about 15 minutes before I rebooted to recovery. I don't have stock recovery, I have the TWRP recovery (again got it from the Root Toolkit when I rooted). Do I need to restore stock recovery first?

EDIT: Actually, I can't even get back to Android now, it just hangs on the black bootup screen with the white Google text. Hope I didn't kill it :(

EDIT EDIT: Thank god I did a back-up, was able to restore from that. Still stuck on Franco kernel though

Just got mine. Neat. Not a fan of the washed out colours and wish to try the specific kernel which is supposed to unfuck that. Never messed around with kernels before. Does flashing a new one wipe the phone?

danootz

Just got mine. Neat. Not a fan of the washed out colours and wish to try the specific kernel which is supposed to unfuck that. Never messed around with kernels before. Does flashing a new one wipe the phone?

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but you should be very careful apparently when flashing a ROMS.

If you have Google Wallet set up, you should clear it, deactivate, unregister, whatever, before flashing a new ROM.

Some people were reporting permanent failure of the Secure Element and would break Google Wallet and any future software that might make use of NFC w/ the secure element.

You can set up Wallet again after flashing (though you will get a warning banner basically saying Google doesn't take any responsibility for what may happen (to your moneys/personal info) on what they consider an insecure device once root is enabled or a custom ROM is flashed. You can use it, but at your own risk. Then you'd want to clear it again if you want to flash something else.

I didn't know about this until recently. and thankfully didn't break anything after two flashes. One forum user claimed multiple flashes without taking the precaution, and found no ill effects. So who knows if it's really real, but it's not worth taking the risk.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but you should be very careful apparently when flashing a ROMS.

If you have Google Wallet set up, you should clear it, deactivate, unregister, whatever, before flashing a new ROM.

Some people were reporting permanent failure of the Secure Element and would break Google Wallet and any future software that might make use of NFC w/ the secure element.

You can set up Wallet again after flashing (though you will get a warning banner basically saying Google doesn't take any responsibility for what may happen (to your moneys/personal info) on what they consider an insecure device once root is enabled or a custom ROM is flashed. You can use it, but at your own risk. Then you'd want to clear it again if you want to flash something else.

I didn't know about this until recently. and thankfully didn't break anything after two flashes. One forum user claimed multiple flashes without taking the precaution, and found no ill effects. So who knows if it's really real, but it's not worth taking the risk.

Google believes that there be only dragons outside the borders of the Good ol' US of A, so the dream of even having a Google Wallet to break still lies beyond my grasp. Also, I understood the flashing of kernels and ROMs to be two very different things.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Unlocking the bootloader wipes the phone. I think. Maybe it's rooting it, whatever. But for whatever step, step 1 wipes the phone. That's why I always root and unlock immediately.

Flashing ROMs or kernels after that doesn't necessarily wipe the phone.

kitch9

Banned
Can you give me the dummy's guide for how to flash the images separately? I have the Nexus Root Toolkit on my PC and I tried flashing the boot image to the boot partition using the toolkit, but it just hanged on the black bootup screen for about 15 minutes before I rebooted to recovery. I don't have stock recovery, I have the TWRP recovery (again got it from the Root Toolkit when I rooted). Do I need to restore stock recovery first?

EDIT: Actually, I can't even get back to Android now, it just hangs on the black bootup screen with the white Google text. Hope I didn't kill it :(

EDIT EDIT: Thank god I did a back-up, was able to restore from that. Still stuck on Franco kernel though

Don't reboot the phone in between flashing the different images, in Nexus Toolkit it gives you the option to flash an image to a particular partition, so you individually flash boot to the boot partition, radio to the radio partition (Might want to rename the radio image as it has a long filename you'll have to type.), system to the system partition etc etc all in the same flashing session without rebooting the phone inbetween.... Flashing Userdata will wipe the phone but its not needed so don't flash it.

Just flashing boot on its own will cause the problems you are having..... You need to flash all the images except the Userdata images, your phone should then be update to the latest stock rom.

Marco1

I am thinking of jumping over to android from iOS and would really appreciate some advice.
Is anyone more thn pleased making the jump themselves or would you prefer going back to iOS?
Personally I am starting to prefer th way google do things over apple and I like he option of upgrading my phone to something else such as a samsung or sony without being stuck to iOS and iphone.

I am thinking of jumping over to android from iOS and would really appreciate some advice.
Is anyone more thn pleased making the jump themselves or would you prefer going back to iOS?
Personally I am starting to prefer th way google do things over apple and I like he option of upgrading my phone to something else such as a samsung or sony without being stuck to iOS and iphone.
I went from iOS to Android with the nexus 4 and have had no problems. I'm not missing anything on iOS that android can't provide for me. That's not to say that I will never go back to iOS if apple get their shit together and open things up a bit with the OS (lol yah right)

But its not like going back and forth is a big deal anymore. IPhone sync fine with Google services and everything is in the cloud nowadays. Being set up in both ecosystems and moving back and forth is super easy. Go for it!

I upgraded from an iPhone to a Nexus 4 about a month ago. I don't miss anything. Going back to iOS would make me miss more things about Android than vice versa.

KorrZ

Nexus 4 came today! Can't wait to get off work and go mess around with it. Question for you guys. This is my first experience with Android, I've never even touched it before today..should I be messing around with rooting/custom firmware/kernels right away? Are there any downsides to doing so? Is there any downside to sticking with stock out of the box? If the custom route is recommended, can anyone point me in the right direction to what I should be installing?

Thanks in advance guys.

Nexus 4 came today! Can't wait to get off work and go mess around with it. Question for you guys. This is my first experience with Android, I've never even touched it before today..should I be messing around with rooting/custom firmware/kernels right away? Are there any downsides to doing so? Is there any downside to sticking with stock out of the box? If the custom route is recommended, can anyone point me in the right direction to what I should be installing?

Thanks in advance guys.

No. Leave roms and kernels alone and just enjoy the phone.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much. At this point, pure Jelly Bean is awesome out of the box.

Rengoku

I jumped from iOS to android recently with the Nexus 4 being my first android experience. There are many things to love about the android but there also a few things I miss from iOS.
Note: some of these are particular to the Nexus 4.

Love:
Complete customization - themes, widgets, icons, just look at http://mycolorscreen.com/ for the possibilities.
NFC tags with task profiles - set up custom profiles for work, home, driving, workout, etc. Sample Video.
Google Now + Voice recognition- trumps Siri, and just fantastic, though sometimes borderline creepy, lol.
Bigger Screen
Swype/Swiftkey Keyboard - text recognition when typing with these keyboards is amazing, and the swype/flow feature is something else.
Tasker - A common question people ask is "Can my phone do this?". Most of the time, an app will be the solution. If there isn't an app out there, then Tasker's the answer.
Google's Intents List - this is basically android's Share button. It's built into android's OS, and its pretty awesome. You can easily share content between apps without having to wait/hope for the developer to add support for it.

Miss:
App Selection - To be fair, the android marketplace has 90% of what I need, but there are a couple odd apps that I rely on that I have yet to find a good enough alternative for.
Build Quality/Customer Service - Let me get this out of the way and say that I've had no issues with my Nexus 4, but I've heard from some of my friends with issues with the power/volume buttons not responding, creaky screen, discolored screen etc. The other thing is I've been spoiled by Apple's customer support, I haven't had to deal with LG's support, but I suspect it won't be as painless as Apple's. I've had numerous times in the past where Apple has replaced my device for free no questions asked, even though I was at fault.
No Fragmentation - Being on a Nexus device, I don't have this issue, but I'm also aware that if you're on any other android device, theres no guarantee how soon you'll get the next update. Many smart phones are only getting Jelly Bean 4.1.2 now, even though it's been out for about 7 months. On iOS, you don't have this issue, though sometimes, you get locked out of certain features if you don't have the latest Apple phone.
Apple's ecosystem - If you own many apple devices, streaming music, video, and just generally getting your devices to talk to each other is drop dead easy. Airplay is pretty awesome. Trying to figure out which devices support Miracast and are compatible with the Nexus 4 is not.

Overall, its been a great experience. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Marco1

I jumped from iOS to android recently with the Nexus 4 being my first android experience. There are many things to love about the android but there also a few things I miss from iOS.
Note: some of these are particular to the Nexus 4.

Love:
Complete customization - themes, widgets, icons, just look at http://mycolorscreen.com/ for the possibilities.
NFC tags with task profiles - set up custom profiles for work, home, driving, workout, etc. Sample Video.
Google Now + Voice recognition- trumps Siri, and just fantastic, though sometimes borderline creepy, lol.
Bigger Screen
Swype/Swiftkey Keyboard - text recognition when typing with these keyboards is amazing, and the swype/flow feature is something else.
Tasker - A common question people ask is "Can my phone do this?". Most of the time, an app will be the solution. If there isn't an app out there, then Tasker's the answer.

Miss:
App Selection - To be fair, the android marketplace has 90% of what I need, but there are a couple odd apps that I rely on that I have yet to find a good enough alternative for.
Build Quality/Customer Service - Let me get this out of the way and say that I've had no issues with my Nexus 4, but I've heard from some of my friends with issues with the power/volume buttons not responding, creaky screen, discolored screen etc. The other thing is I've been spoiled by Apple's customer support, I haven't had to deal with LG's support, but I suspect it won't be as painless as Apple's. I've had numerous times in the past where Apple has replaced my device for free no questions asked, even though I was at fault.
No Fragmentation - Being on a Nexus device, I don't have this issue, but I'm also aware that if you're on any other android device, theres no guarantee how soon you'll get the next update. Many smart phones are only getting Jelly Bean 4.1.2 now, even though it's been out for about 7 months. On iOS, you don't have this issue, though sometimes, you get locked out of certain features if you don't have the latest Apple phone.
Apple's ecosystem - If you own many apple devices, streaming music, video, and just generally getting your devices to talk to each other is drop dead easy. Airplay is pretty awesome. Trying to figure out which devices support Miracast and are compatible with the Nexus 4 is not.

Overall, its been a great experience. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Thanks a million, sadly I love the ecosystem and build quality/CS remarks and will struggle to let go of that. Why don't google get someone like sony to make a nexus phone FFS?
Is there a reason why they don't launch a phone that may cost more but would be guaranteed to match iphone HW?

Rengoku

Thanks a million, sadly I love the ecosystem and build quality/CS remarks and will struggle to let go of that. Why don't google get someone like sony to make a nexus phone FFS?
Is there a reason why they don't launch a phone that may cost more but would be guaranteed to match iphone HW?

I think the rumored Motorola X Phone may be the answer to that question.

whitehawk

Banned
The Nexus 4 hardware is amazing. I honestly don't know what else they could do to improve it. Well actually, my only gripe with it is the speaker placement. It's on the back of the phone. The bottom where the USB port would have been a much better place.

Number45

I think the rumored Motorola X Phone may be the answer to that question.
This is being announced fairly soon isn't it? With the so-so reviews for the Xperia Z I'm quite happy that I can't replace my phone until the end of the year.

Won't be touching HTC (UI) or Samsung (er... don't ask. :p), so Sony or Motorola or a newer Nexus will be in the running. Along with the 5S of course, but I have to say I'm ready for a change. Hopefully I can buy off contract and not have to go anywhere near the £500+ iPhone asking price.

I can speak to this. My original N4 had the buzzing speaker problem. I called Google Play support on a Sunday and spoke to someone almost immediately. After describing my problem for 5 seconds, the CSR processed my RMA right away, and I got emails that described everything I needed to do. I had my replacement by Tuesday, and the new phone is perfect. Overall, it was so painless and quick.

I'm sure Apple can be better (I've experienced it firsthand), but Google is doing pretty good.

Husker86

I know Chrome itself wasn't updated, but does anyone else think the scrolling is smoother in Chrome since the 4.2.2 update? It seems like a reasonable difference to me. (I should note that I base this almost exclusively on GAF mobile since that's mostly what I browse on my phone)

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The Nexus 4 hardware is amazing. I honestly don't know what else they could do to improve it. Well actually, my only gripe with it is the speaker placement. It's on the back of the phone. The bottom where the USB port would have been a much better place.

I would improve the quality assurance that goes into these things.

ShowDog

The only thing I really liked better about iOS were the extremely polished apps that indie devs are constantly putting out. I would like an email app like Mailbox on Android, for instance, but there are literally no decent email app options outside of the Gmail app.

If you are like 95% of iOS users though and choose not to really invest in the app store in any meaningful way, I'd say you'll have a great experience. Part of me misses iOS but I don't think I'd be able to go back unless the next revamp of the OS is pretty substantial, which it may be now that Ive is in charge.

trixx

Ok so initially i was going to pick up the galaxy nexus but apparently my phone company(fido) is offering this phone for $425 on the 26th of this month and i have $300 reward dollars with them so that will cut the price down.

This will be my first smartphone no experience with these devices. Do you guys have any tips in making the device last long and keeping it in good shape software wise? Also i have heard that the back portion of this phone breaks easily and as well as the front, how would i best protect this from happening?

Also reccommendations for useful apps/customization tools would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The constant popping noises these phones make are driving me insane. Every little while a random pop. Jesus fucking Christ.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I have to say that with 4.2.2 the battery has improved quite a bit.

I charged it over night to 100% and woke up to 97%. That's 7 hours. Before it would be around 80 to 85%. I've also noticed that the last 20% last a lot longer.

Slowly but surely it might be a decent phone if it wasn't for the build quality (lack there of).

jgkspsx

I think it's a wonderful phone (after the 4.2.2 update, which is getting me lots of additional battery life too) except for the camera. What's wrong with the build quality?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I think it's a wonderful phone (after the 4.2.2 update, which is getting me lots of additional battery life too) except for the camera. What's wrong with the build quality?

I had a bad run of earpiece issues, loose USB ports and recessed buttons. The last two N4s randomly make popping noises internally. Gonna wait for it to die before I RMA a 5th time.

But god damn is this phone fast.

Nexus just arrived at my door!

So this is my first smart-phone and experience with Android.
Can someone give me some tips on must have apps or just some general tips about the phone?

Much obliged

Top Bottom