• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just got my Ringke Fusion case in yesterday... total disappointment. The side buttons are way worse than on my bumper and the clear back plastic feels cheap and doesn't preserve the look of the back at all.

Knew it. What a shame :(

Just got my Ringke Fusion case in yesterday... total disappointment. The side buttons are way worse than on my bumper and the clear back plastic feels cheap and doesn't preserve the look of the back at all.
Wouldn't a good screen/body protector plus bumper offer a similar level of protection versus that case?

Might be a possibility.

Goldrush

Probably an unintended advantage of the Google wireless charger, but the speaker sounds louder when placed. Don't think the speaker is actually louder, but probably something to do with the sound bouncing off things.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Those of you holding out getting the bumper, I can't tell you how much it's probably saved me from having to send it in for repairs.

I've dropped it 3 times since I put the bumper. One was literally from 6 feet high. I had my phone in hand but I was holding my work bag too and I was standing next to my bed when my dog out of excitement pounced in the air hitting my hand sending the phone flying up and then down onto my marble floor. My heart stopped and I thought that's that then...cracked screen for sure.

Picked it up and not a single scratch or dent...

The other drops were from charging on various ledges and charger cable getting pulled.

Anyways the bumper is the absolute shit!

For what it's worth I had the Poetic Bumper as a birthday gift and I'm very happy with it. Fits snuggly, the matte finish on the top/bottom provides extra grip when you hold it and as a bonus now the phone is raised off surfaces the speaker isn't muffled when playing music. And it was a lot cheaper than the official bumper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281050130515 (other colours are available)

And I no longer have to worry about the phone sliding off surfaces that aren't perfectly flat. Which is nice.

Yes, that might be a good alternative. Right now I'm just using a bumper/pouch combo.

That's what I'm thinking of doing to finalize my Nexus "protection plan" as I hate standard cases.

I just don't know what the definitive screen/body protector is that's out there.

rinse82

Battery is dramatically better after upgrading to 4.2.2

Can't wait till Franco kernel on this so I can play around with the display.

iirate

For what it's worth I had the Poetic Bumper as a birthday gift and I'm very happy with it. Fits snuggly, the matte finish on the top/bottom provides extra grip when you hold it and as a bonus now the phone is raised off surfaces the speaker isn't muffled when playing music. And it was a lot cheaper than the official bumper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281050130515 (other colours are available)

And I no longer have to worry about the phone sliding off surfaces that aren't perfectly flat. Which is nice.

Yep, I have the Poetic too. Pretty awesome.

I finally got the update this morning by clearing the data in Google Services Framework.

There seems to be a small bug with the swipe keyboard in 4.2.2. It often fails to automatically add a space after a completed word. It never happened in 4.2.1.

Oh really? That's disappointing. Glad I haven't ordered it till now, $25 saved!

Yep, I have the Poetic too. Pretty awesome.

What's better, the official bumper or the poetic one?

Has anyone used the GenX hybrid bumper? Any good?

Australia sucks. No stock of OEM bumper, amazon won't ship Poetic, ebay charges crazy shipping and mobile accessory websites have everything selling at high markups.

I finally got the update this morning by clearing the data in Google Services Framework.

There seems to be a small bug with the swipe keyboard in 4.2.2. It often fails to automatically add a space after a completed word. It never happened in 4.2.1.

Thought I was going nutty about the no space thing. Oof.

Battery seems better though.

DXPett1

So I've been rocking the original shipping sticker on the front + back of my N4 (along with the official bumper) and think its about time to get rid of it. What's the verdict on best screen/rear protectors?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk

For $15, it's not too bad, but overall I agree and I'll be returning the case. I think I'm going to go with a dbrand skin plus a bumper. Are the Poetic bumpers ok? There's a lot of complaints about peeling on the Amazon page

rc213

For $15, it's not too bad, but overall I agree and I'll be returning the case. I think I'm going to go with a dbrand skin plus a bumper. Are the Poetic bumpers ok? There's a lot of complaints about peeling on the Amazon page

Supposedly the first couple batches were busted but they will send you a replacement pretty much no questions asked. Poetic bumper, back xtremeguard (grippy), front (bestskinsever).

ReconPeon

Is it still taking 2 to 3 weeks for these things to actually be shipped. Thats what mine said when I ordered it today, but I've read that other people are having them ship much sooner.

NeoRausch

finally updated! swoosh! 51 mob DL was sweet and easy. restarting took some time though.

sooooo.... what's new now... beside better battery life?

ReconPeon

I'm confused. The email I got confirming my order said I would not be charged until my order shipped. I checked and I was already charged even though I've received no email or anything stating that it has shipped. Is it possible that it already shipped?

I'm confused. The email I got confirming my order said I would not be charged until my order shipped. I checked and I was already charged even though I've received no email or anything stating that it has shipped. Is it possible that it already shipped?

It has probably shipped.

maharg

idspispopd
Still no update for us Canadians.

Canadian and have it sitting waiting to be installed here. Popped up yesterday.

I don't actually think your cell phone company matters at all for this, for the record. It's just random and slow distribution like *every single other update yet*. Every time people come up with these weird tricks that probably don't do anything other than make it check again if you've been released for it. Probably if it works you'd have gotten it whenever that cache expired an hour or so later.

Back with the galaxy nexus samsung had a specific release channel for updates that was managed by your country's Samsung subsidiary (yakjuux vs. yakju) and was horribly behind. Flashing it to the yakju channel was a smart move with it. It doesn't seem to be the same way for the Nexus 4.

Yes, mine was also charged on the day I placed the order and shipped the very next day.

I don't actually think your cell phone company matters at all for this, for the record. It's just random and slow distribution like *every single other update yet*. Every time people come up with these weird tricks that probably don't do anything other than make it check again if you've been released for it. Probably if it works you'd have gotten it whenever that cache expired an hour or so later.

Cellphone provider has nothing to do with it, since I received the update and I have not even plugged in a sim card till now.

Emwitus

Hey guys. I've been on metro for a while but i'm thinking about switching to a pre-paid gsm phone and might sell my g3 for an n4 since they seem to be readily available now. How are the rates for prepaid gsms? Can virgin work on nexus 4? I'm currently on a 40$ plan with metro which isn't too bad.

Got it here. Everything feels the same.
lol yup. I notice no difference whatsoever. Battery still sucks.

Okay well...one thing about the battery that I hate is how it goes from warning "13-14% battery left" to dead in like 10 minutes. With my old 4S I knew when I hit 20% that I had a good hour of screen time left.

Another thing I notice about the battery which I like is when the phone dies completely, you can plug in your charger and it will start right back up. With the iPhone the phone wouldn't turn on again until it was charged around 5-10%.

I think the nexus (or all android phones?) are shutting off with a bit of a battery reserve. iPhone stays on till its completely dead.

Hmm. I reset the cache for Google Framework and everything. Oh well. I'll just wait it out.

So glad to hear about the improved battery life.

Did you go to "Location Access" in settings and switch it off? Simply clearing the framework data alone would not do it for me either.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Did you go to "Location Access" in settings and switch it off? Simply clearing the framework data alone would not do it for me either.

On my phone I had location access off but it's on for my gfs N4. No biggie. I barely have the time at the moment as I'm renovating my bathroom. I'll play around with it in a few days.

catmincer

Got my Nexus 4 today. Such a massive upgrade from my Xperia S. (no lock ups so far). Also got the 4.2.2? update just now. (New Zealand). Stock Android is a bit boring looking but I'll customise once I have time.

PaulLFC

My Nillkin case shipped last Thursday, no idea how long it will take to get to the UK, but I'll try and post some impressions/pictures when it arrives. It seems quite thin which is one of the main things I wanted from a case.

2012112416565673499.jpg

It doesn't show off the back of the phone, which is the main reason I was interested in the Fusion, but now I hear that doesn't do a particularly good job either, I'll probably leave it.

Top Bottom