• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

ReconPeon

To anyone with the ringke fusion case: Does the inside of the bumper area scratch the sides of the phone. I have the case, but haven't received by phone yet and the insides of the black you look kind of rough.

ReconPeon

I just got my nexus 4 yesterday and the power button seems kind of hard press. It sticks out slightly further than the silver bezel, but it seems like if I'm holding the phone with my right hand and trying to power it on with my thumb it's kind of hard to press the button. It seems like I'm pressing on the bezel more than the power button itself. It's like it doesn't stock out far enough. If I hold it in my left hand and presses it with my index finger it's no problem. Does anyone else find this to be a problem?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I just got my nexus 4 yesterday and the power button seems kind of hard press. It sticks out slightly further than the silver bezel, but it seems like if I'm holding the phone with my right hand and trying to power it on with my thumb it's kind of hard to press the button. It seems like I'm pressing on the bezel more than the power button itself. It's like it doesn't stock out far enough. If I hold it in my left hand and presses it with my index finger it's no problem. Does anyone else find this to be a problem?

Had that with my second (or third, can't remember) Nexus 4 replacement. Got a replacement. Buttons are fine now minus the terrible creak from the volume rocker. Shitty Q&A is all.

Le-mo

I bought this yesterday after my prepaid phone died and I couldn't find another one that I liked. A few things I don't like about the phone is that the power button doesn't have a click sound that lets you know when it's been pressed or maybe it's just my case. It's just silent. I have to look at the screen to make sure it's been locked. The other thing I don't like about it is that the screen could be bigger by placing the three main icons on the lower black plate of the phone and have the notification light at the very top of the phone.

I'm now a happy member of N4-GAF.

Just bought one today.

I was really lucky to find one here in São Paulo, Brazil. I know it's hard to buy even in the USA, but here it's almost impossible. There are some sellers on Mercado Liv(b)re (Latin America eBay) that sell the phones without stock, so the people that try their luck usually pay the abusive prices (about 1000 dolars for the 16gig) and still have to wait days, even weeks to have the phones shipped.

To find one in a retailer here was damn good luck, still expensive, but a lot cheaper.

The thing is, it's being made here, it's already homologated (?) by brazilian FCC equivalent since december and nobody knows when they're gonna sell it. The 4.2.2 first image leaks were from a factory here, if you guys remeber.

So official price here is unknown, but probably gonna be expensive. The high end phones go for about 1999 reais (one thousand us dollars) unlocked without carrier. Carrier plans are expensive here and you only get decent quality for abusive prices.

tl;dr I'm happy

Le-mo

Submarino Conversível;48357558 said:
I'm now a happy member of N4-GAF.

Just bought one today.

I was really lucky to find one here in São Paulo, Brazil. I know it's hard to buy even in the USA, but here it's almost impossible. There are some sellers on Mercado Liv(b)re (Latin America eBay) that sell the phones without stock, so the people that try their luck usually pay the abusive prices (about 1000 dolars for the 16gig) and still have to wait days, even weeks to have the phones shipped.

To find one in a retailer here was damn good luck, still expensive, but a lot cheaper.

The thing is, it's being made here, it's already homologated (?) by brazilian FCC equivalent since december and nobody knows when they're gonna sell it. The 4.2.2 first image leaks were from a factory here, if you guys remeber.

So official price here is unknown, but probably gonna be expensive. The high end phones go for about 1999 reais (one thousand us dollars) unlocked without carrier. Carrier plans are expensive here and you only get decent quality for abusive prices.

tl;dr I'm happy
I didn't know it was that hard to find. I didn't expect to buy it yesterday but when I did the clerk told me that I was lucky since they only had two in stock.

ReconPeon

Had that with my second (or third, can't remember) Nexus 4 replacement. Got a replacement. Buttons are fine now minus the terrible creak from the volume rocker. Shitty Q&A is all.

Yea, I'm getting an RMA. I already ordered the replacement. How long does it normally take them to ship the replacement.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Yea, I'm getting an RMA. I already ordered the replacement. How long does it normally take them to ship the replacement.

About 24 hours.

You keep your Nexus until you get your replacement.

On a good note the battery has been lasting me 5+ hours everyday since 4.2.2. I downloaded the Qualcomm Battery Guru and I'm going to see if there are any improvements.

Audioboxer

I went through 4 RMAs before getting a device I was happy with. It still has a little lightbleed, but every single one of them had, others much worse than this one (I sent back for other problems besides light bleed as well).

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Audίoboxer;48474062 said:
I went through 4 RMAs before getting a device I was happy with. It still has a little lightbleed, but every single one of them had, others much worse than this one (I sent back for other problems besides light bleed as well).

I have another one on the way. I can't stand the squeaking volume buttons anymore.

I'm getting my Nexus 4 next Tuesday and I'm planning to go with a T-Mobile monthly contract. I'm new at this experience, so do I just need to get a sim card?

Also with the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Update that blocks LTE, anyway to get around this?

Photon

I'm getting my Nexus 4 next Tuesday and I'm planning to go with a T-Mobile monthly contract. I'm new at this experience, so do I just need to get a sim card?

Also with the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Update that blocks LTE, anyway to get around this?

Yeah, and you want to order it now because it takes forever to get to you.. or at least it feels like forever when you have your phone and you can't use it.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/T-Mobile-Micro-SIM-Card-Activation-Kit

If you go to the store they'll give you a sim card but there is no way to get the activation code you need to activate it online, so then you'll end up purchasing a code on ebay because you can't wait the extra few days for it to arrive in the mail.

maharg

idspispopd
Yeah, and you want to order it now because it takes forever to get to you.. or at least it feels like forever when you have your phone and you can't use it.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/T-Mobile-Micro-SIM-Card-Activation-Kit

If you go to the store they'll give you a sim card but there is no way to get the activation code you need to activate it online, so then you'll end up purchasing a code on ebay because you can't wait the extra few days for it to arrive in the mail.

I don't live in the US, I just visit often, but the sim card I bought from a t-mobile store worked right away... Paid them $20 and I walked out of the store with a working phone. Of course, that was for a pay as you go plan. But I imagine once you've got a sim you can switch the plan it's on.

Photon

I don't live in the US, I just visit often, but the sim card I bought from a t-mobile store worked right away... Paid them $20 and I walked out of the store with a working phone. Of course, that was for a pay as you go plan. But I imagine once you've got a sim you can switch the plan it's on.

Ah, actually the problem I had was the pay as you go plan I got was online only. If you're getting an in-store plan that won't be a problem.

kehs

Banned
So they play store says shipping is 1-2 weeks...is that accurate?

I don't want to sit on my thumbs for two weeks.

Bit-Bit

Just ordered one for my girlfriend as a surprise for our Spring Break vacation. I hope it arrives in time, our trip is on the 16 of this month.

Damn. I can't believe how a simple 5 minute firmware update could have helped so much on battery life. I can go a whole day, or two with medium to heavy use before I have to recharge. Awesome phone.

suoodS

It takes a micro sim, I'd go ahead and get one while you're waiting for the phone to get in. You shouldn't have to worry about LTE since you'll be on T-Mobile, but yeah it's still possible if you root your phone and edit some files to enable it again.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So uh....what's everyone doing for wireless charging? That 60 bucks on play store is ridiculous.

It's ridiculously expensive and not magnetic. I want the orb, just magnetic, so I can slap it in my car.

You need to flash the stock 4.2.1 Kernel back and delete/rename the power hal file, instructions are here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=37993017&postcount=12903

You'll need a file explorer with root permissions to rename/delete the files, ES File Explorer will do the job.

So I am struggling to accomplish these things. First, in spite of having unlocked and rooted my phone, my /system mount is read-only, and going into adb shell and remounting it as read-write, it still shows as read-only. Anyone on here have any ideas? Posting questions on XDA feels like jumping into a shark tank, so I'd really rather not have to do that.

So I am struggling to accomplish these things. First, in spite of having unlocked and rooted my phone, my /system mount is read-only, and going into adb shell and remounting it as read-write, it still shows as read-only. Anyone on here have any ideas? Posting questions on XDA feels like jumping into a shark tank, so I'd really rather not have to do that.

You can do all of that through ES File Explorer, go into the app, menu - settings - root settings and then ensure the app has root access and you can mount as rw. You can then get into your root folder to delete/edit the power hal files.

What are some of the best options for no contract service with the N4 in America? I'm ditching my iPhone and AT&T.

Can I port my number to these contractless providers?

Marco1

Thinking of making the jump from ip5 and ios to the nexus 4.
I was thinking of waiting for the SG4 but the price and getting KLP are the largest attractions for me at the moment.
Is anyone glad they made the jump themselves or is anyone thinking of going back?
Thanks and much appreciated.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I was thinking of waiting for the SG4 but the price and getting KLP are the largest attractions for me at the moment.
Is anyone glad they made the jump themselves or is anyone thinking of going back?

I used to be on team iPhone but after Gingerbread I switched and can't stand the closed nature of iOS anymore. I switched the gf over to Android and Nexus 4 and she loves it same with her mom and the Nexus 7. She's not very good with Android but she's getting the hang of it.

For a person like me who swears by Apple Android is simply amazing.

I've switched back and forth for years and still continue right now to use iOS and Android on different devices and you won't regret it. They both excel at different things but Android has come a long way. It really is a great OS for the most part. Going from iOS to Android is a lot easier than going from Android to iOS for the first time IMO.

kehs

Banned
Does anyone know anything about getting Ubuntu for Android on this thing?

I'm not talking about the Ubuntu Touch they just released, but the docking setup, where ubuntu loads up when docked/connected to mouse/keyboard/monitor.

catmincer

So this sounds weird but does anyone's N4 rattle? If I pick mine up and shake it lightly there's a rather visible rattling sound. Not sure if I should be concerned?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
So this sounds weird but does anyone's N4 rattle? If I pick mine up and shake it lightly there's a rather visible rattling sound. Not sure if I should be concerned?

Hold your phone with one hand near the bottom then with your other hand tap the back of the phone with a finger or two near the camera/flash. That's the auto focus mechanism. It's perfectly normal. Many phones have it.

IceCold

Since Google sells the Nexus 4 already unlocked, does that mean if I buy it from a carrier it will unlocked too? If not, is it free to unlock it?

DXPett1

So the key to decent battery life in this thing is to charge if fully before bed and leave it unplugged overnight?

kEUqmzt.png

My contract with Verizon expires this week and I'm definitely interested in getting the Nexus 4 and select T-Mobile's $30 plan for 5GB in 4G + 100 minutes. Never had a smartphone before and since I reside in the NE part of the US, I'm hoping this plan will benefit me. Not much of a talker on the phone, only for meet-ups and whatnot. I may have to sleep on it before I take the plunge and order one.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
So the key to decent battery life in this thing is to charge if fully before bed and leave it unplugged overnight?

I dunno I've been averaging 4:30 to 5:00 hours of screen time with heavy browsing, texting, Reddit and some video since 4.2.2. I usually plug it in around 2% battery left.

I'm selling my nexus 4 w/ cracked screen if anyone is interested in fixing it. Phone powers on & screen comes up but only a lower portion of the screen will actually respond to touch input. I'm not sure what to ask so $175? It's for the phone only btw as I need the cables for my crappy backup device atm. You can PM me if interested

trixx

Just got my nexus 4 yesterday from fido and it's great. I paid 160 for it because I had 300 fido dollars saved up so I don't have to spend 50+ a month a data. So far it's all nice but I am new to smartphones and recommended apps?

Also fluffydelusions, can you please tell me how your phone cracked, did you have a case on? I'm a bit worried that this thing can break rather easily.

Top Bottom