• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Just got my nexus 4 yesterday from fido and it's great. I paid 160 for it because I had 300 fido dollars saved up so I don't have to spend 50+ a month a data. So far it's all nice but I am new to smartphones and recommended apps?

Also fluffydelusions, can you please tell me how your phone cracked, did you have a case on? I'm a bit worried that this thing can break rather easily.

Don't worry about it breaking too much. I have mine in a Ringke Fusion case. I dropped it on a corner onto tile from about a meter. No cracks or breaks.

HildyB

Just got my nexus 4 yesterday from fido and it's great. I paid 160 for it because I had 300 fido dollars saved up so I don't have to spend 50+ a month a data. So far it's all nice but I am new to smartphones and recommended apps?

Also fluffydelusions, can you please tell me how your phone cracked, did you have a case on? I'm a bit worried that this thing can break rather easily.

It's 50-50 on a drop if it'll crack, same as an iPhone or any other phone with a majority of glass. I added a shell case (Rearth Slim) just because the glass was so smooth it slid off surfaces with the slightest decline/incline. I think THAT is the most worrisome feature to the phone.

Le-mo

Are there any tips to make wallpaper not look washed out and stretched? Even when I don't stretch the image it still looks washed out and blurry as heck.

Noob question on sim cards. Can't I take out the micro sim card from my iPhone 3g to my Nexus 4?

Also, what should I get for my new Nexus 4? 100 Pages is too much for me to search.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Noob question on sim cards. Can't I take out the micro sim card from my iPhone 3g to my Nexus 4?

Also, what should I get for my new Nexus 4? 100 Pages is too much for me to search.

I think the iPhone 3G Sim card is of the full sized variety. You can cut it to fit with the numerous templates available online.

If your against cases but still want a bit of protection the official bumper is pretty slick. I'm perfectly happy with my Rearth Ringke Fusion case. Full protection, looks good, not very good buttons.

I need a new smartphone as my ancient N82 is held together by blu-tac and Sellotape.

Was thinking about picking up a second hand iPhone 4S or Galaxy S3 but now these are back in stock I'm torn. For the price it seems too good to be true. I hear the camera isn't anything special, are there any other cons?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I need a new smartphone as my ancient N82 is held together by blu-tac and Sellotape.

Was thinking about picking up a second hand iPhone 4S or Galaxy S3 but now these are back in stock I'm torn. For the price it seems too good to be true. I hear the camera isn't anything special, are there any other cons?

No. Go get it!

Shambles

No SD card slot, no removable battery...

Still beats the snot out of every single other phone as far as value goes.

freshair

Weekend tragedy.

Back broke a month or two back from a drunken outing.

Front broke this weekend from a drunken outing.

oMK7QRb.jpg

Touch screen is unresponsive. Debating getting it repaired or just wait for the GS4 D:

B3ASTMODE

so after after buying a fake gs3 (lol) I decided to get this. I received it yesterday and today I have noticed the volume rocker, specifically the volume down button is pretty messed up. how do I start the process of getting it replaced by google?

I was also wondering what is the general consensus of the best cases? I am looking for something that protects my phone but I don't think I want a tank.

freshair

Fucking drunk lol.

Did you drop/throw it lol?

Back side shattered from butter fingers about 4/5 feet off the ground?

Front side was a straight drop from almost the same height after a fellow drunkard slapped my hand while i was looking for walking directions.

I need to bring an old phone with me when going out next time....lol

Valnen

Got my N4 yesterday. Played with it all day and it's dizzying how many apps there are out there, this is my first android or smart phone at all really.

Question is, how do you find decent wallpapers for the thing? Google searching has failed me =/.

Also, does anyone from California know if dash mounts are illegal? I know window mounts are, but would putting the window mount on my dashboard also get me into trouble?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
so after after buying a fake gs3 (lol) I decided to get this. I received it yesterday and today I have noticed the volume rocker, specifically the volume down button is pretty messed up. how do I start the process of getting it replaced by google?

I was also wondering what is the general consensus of the best cases? I am looking for something that protects my phone but I don't think I want a tank.

Call 1-855-83-NEXUS (63987)

Just curious as to defines a messed up volume rocker. My 4th N4 is arriving on Thursday.

Back side shattered from butter fingers about 4/5 feet off the ground?

Front side was a straight drop from almost the same height after a fellow drunkard slapped my hand while i was looking for walking directions.

I need to bring an old phone with me when going out next time....lol

That's why I bring my LG Optimus One when I drink.

I pulled the trigger and bought it for close to $400 at the Play store. It sucks they don't have free shipping. If for some reason I don't like the phone or the plan I will have this on isn't for me, I'll sell it off CL and hopefully make a full refund.

B3ASTMODE

Call 1-855-83-NEXUS (63987)

Just curious as to defines a messed up volume rocker. My 4th N4 is arriving on Thursday.

That's why I bring my LG Optimus One when I drink.

it doesn't have the solid click the other buttons do. it feels stuck and squishy and it creaks when pressed. it should be fairly easy to notice the difference. I asked my sister to test out the buttons and she definately agreed there was something wrong with that button.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
it doesn't have the solid click the other buttons do. it feels stuck and squishy and it creaks when pressed. it should be fairly easy to notice the difference. I asked my sister to test out the buttons and she definately agreed there was something wrong with that button.

2 of my N4s had creaky volume rockers. 2 had loose USB ports.

reKon

Banned
Got my N4 yesterday. Played with it all day and it's dizzying how many apps there are out there, this is my first android or smart phone at all really.

Question is, how do you find decent wallpapers for the thing? Google searching has failed me =/.

Also, does anyone from California know if dash mounts are illegal? I know window mounts are, but would putting the window mount on my dashboard also get me into trouble?

Try the app wallbase

HildyB

I go to wallbase.cc for my wallpapers. They have an app as well. Also perusing show off your home screen threads tend to yield some great finds.

Like ours: http://goo.gl/SWEgE

WoodWERD

How can it take them so long to re-stock the bumper of all things? Do I really have to check the store every day or is there some way I can get notified?

Shambles

Anyone in Canada managed to find a retail store that sells the iOttie One Touch car mount? The only place I've been able to track it down is Best Buy but I don't shop there. Am I going to have to order one online and pay for shipping?

Just got my Nexus 4 loving it great update from my sensation. Only big problem I'm having is that I can't get Google Wallet to work. I keep on getting the Device Not Ready error. Any solution to this?

jgkspsx

Welp, I filled up my Nexus 4's storage already. Was a good run while it lasted.

I started using the Ringke Fusion case, since y'all didn't want it. It is definitely cheaper than the bumper, BUT it has a much larger headphone jack cutout, so I can plug things in that I couldn't before. I appreciate that.

EDIT: Huh. It's not as plush as the bumper, but I really like the way the wraparound material feels on the Fusion. The clear panel ain't pretty, but it feels quite solid. I might even like it better than the bumper! More news as it breaks.

aznpxdd

Welp, I filled up my Nexus 4's storage already. Was a good run while it lasted.

I started using the Ringke Fusion case, since y'all didn't want it. It is definitely cheaper than the bumper, BUT it has a much larger headphone jack cutout, so I can plug things in that I couldn't before. I appreciate that.

EDIT: Huh. It's not as plush as the bumper, but I really like the way the wraparound material feels on the Fusion. The clear panel ain't pretty, but it feels quite solid. I might even like it better than the bumper! More news as it breaks.

Not a fan of the Ringke case at all. Put it on for 5 mins when I first got it and went right back to my official bumper. The case feels cheap as shit overall, makes the phone thicker (than the bumper), and the buttons are way too stiff.

Valnen

I go to wallbase.cc for my wallpapers. They have an app as well. Also perusing show off your home screen threads tend to yield some great finds.

Like ours: http://goo.gl/SWEgE
Thanks, I found something I liked on there. I'll also keep that thread in mind. This phone is a blast, I can actually post on here with no issues, I thought a touch screen would make it awful but the gesture typing makes it easy.

kehs

Banned
So this thing is pretty slick feeling.

The power button sucks though, it's like no feedback.

And the imei bar code thing on the back? wtf hideous.

Hey guys!

I need help. The power button on the Nexus i got for my girlfriend seems to not function properly anymore. You can still turn the screen off and on, but you can't turn the phone off completely or take screenshots.

I thought about letting it run out of juice, it could be a software problem, right?

But what if the power button really doesn't function properly anymore, and you can't turn it on anymore?

Does anyone had the same problem? Should i contact google and send it to them?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Is the build quality/consistency bad? I'm considering an N4, but between the talk about cracked glass and crappy buttons/usb ports, I'm having doubts.

I'll see how well built my 4th N4 coming in today is. 4 N4s since January 29.

If it's any comfort the warranty process is painless and simple.

Just received my phone Yesterday. hooked it up to T-Mobile. Couldn't be happier. I'm coming from an iPhone 5. The screen real estate is a BIG deal! Any tutorials or websites explain how to customize lock screen? I feel slightly overwhelmed.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Fourth Nexus 4 since January 29th.

Buttons are good, screen is good, USB port is good.

Random popping noises like N4 number 2. Ugh. Fucking LG.

Edit- Unbelievable. I was so happy when I saw that everything (hardware wise) was solid... then I turned it on. Fucking random popping noises.

LG really needs to get their fucking shit together as I'm sick of this shit. I wish I got something else at this point and feel bad for recommending the N4. Love the phone design and software but the QA from LG is abysmal. Fuck.

kehs

Banned
It's just at a really weird angle, and a little bit too high. Should be at the same height as the volume rocker.

Top wouldn't bee so bad either

B3ASTMODE

Received my replacement today and everything seems to be functioning perfectly. I tried a speed test since I had no idea what type of speed I would be getting on straight talk and I'm getting a solid 15mb/s down.

I also received my mercury case today. Overall I like it the only problem is I have to kind of dig my fingers in to reach the buttons.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's just at a really weird angle, and a little bit too high. Should be at the same height as the volume rocker.

[spoilerp] Top wouldn't bee so bad either [/spoiler]

No. Then you'd squeeze both volume and power together all the time.

Top Bottom