• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Nicktendo86

Weekend tragedy.

Back broke a month or two back from a drunken outing.

Front broke this weekend from a drunken outing.

oMK7QRb.jpg

Touch screen is unresponsive. Debating getting it repaired or just wait for the GS4 D:

Fucking hell. My brother bought a cheap dumb phone to take when he goes out drinking just in case this sort of thing happens, good idea I'd say.

ReconPeon

The bottom left corner of my nexus 4 creaks so bad its annoying. I'm going to try tightening the screws on the bottom tonight to see if that helps. If it didn't do it during normal use I wouldn't mind, but it does it when I press the back button.

Weekend tragedy.

oMK7QRb.jpg

Touch screen is unresponsive. Debating getting it repaired or just wait for the GS4 D:

Damn! That must suck. How did you get that lock screen set up like that though ? I just have the clock when locked.

Weekend tragedy.

oMK7QRb.jpg

My screen cracked too and went unresponsive...well partially. I just sold it to a gaffer to fix.

Is there any way to make my notification light active when I receive a text? I can't find any info about how to do it in the settings.

Also does anyone else have problems when they turn the volume right down to active vibration but it doesn't switch to vibrate? Thanks

Is there any way to make my notification light active when I receive a text? I can't find any info about how to do it in the settings.

Also does anyone else have problems when they turn the volume right down to active vibration but it doesn't switch to vibrate? Thanks

I've been using Light Flow Lite to manage the LED notifications. It seems to work pretty well, though apparently it's not capable of customizing the LED for Facebook notifications. That annoys me.

Fucking hell. My brother bought a cheap dumb phone to take when he goes out drinking just in case this sort of thing happens, good idea I'd say.

Yeah I'm just wondering what's up with the screen. When trying to determine a price to sell my n4 with cracked screen EVERY single one I came across on ebay that had a cracked screen the touchscreen would not respond to touch input anymore. Mine had a single hairline crack running along the top of the device yet like only 10% of the screen actually worked (the bottom bit). I've had more phones than I care to count and had my fair share of cracked screens over the years but ALL of them continued to work. What's the deal with the nexus 4 screen?

Nicktendo86

Yeah I'm just wondering what's up with the screen. When trying to determine a price to sell my n4 with cracked screen EVERY single one I came across on ebay that had a cracked screen the touchscreen would not respond to touch input anymore. Mine had a single hairline crack running along the top of the device yet like only 10% of the screen actually worked (the bottom bit). I've had more phones than I care to count and had my fair share of cracked screens over the years but ALL of them continued to work. What's the deal with the nexus 4 screen?
The touch panel is fused to the glass like the iPhone 5, that probably has something to do with it.

Amjad: the lock screen he has there is annapp called dashclock, check it out on the play store. It is great.

whitehawk

Banned
I just did the 4G "hack" on my device, and now I'm tempted not to update at all. The battery life is tempting, but my data just jumped from 1642kbps to 9088kbps. And I only have 2 bars right now, going to try again when I have 5.

The touch panel is fused to the glass like the iPhone 5, that probably has something to do with it.

Amjad: the lock screen he has there is annapp called dashclock, check it out on the play store. It is great.

DashClock Widget

Thank you!

EDIT:
I just did the 4G "hack" on my device, and now I'm tempted not to update at all. The battery life is tempting, but my data just jumped from 1642kbps to 9088kbps. And I only have 2 bars right now, going to try again when I have 5.

Does this only work in certain countries or something ? Can I do this in Denmark and upgrade my internet to 4G and it'll work ?

whitehawk

Banned

NysGAF

I ordered an N4 last night and I'm very excited. I'm planning on using the T-Mobile $30 plan. The first app I'll want to download is one for podcasts. What do you recommend?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Besides the random popping noise my 4th Nexus 4 replacement has, the power button started squeaking the moment it's touched. In less than 24 hours the button went from perfect to squeaky.

For shame LG.

I ordered an N4 last night and I'm very excited. I'm planning on using the T-Mobile $30 plan. The first app I'll want to download is one for podcasts. What do you recommend?

Second recommendation for PocketCasts. I've had it since it was the Amazon FAOTD a couple years ago, and I just recently bought it again on the Play store. They released an entirely new UI update two weeks ago and made it even better.

It's affordable and does what you want it to do. Plus their customer service (in my experience) is the best in the business. Highly recommended!

Gave the cash to a mate on Wednesday to order me one as he had a Google shopping account already and after a couple of days they've cancelled the transaction and suspended his account for some reason.

whitehawk

Banned
Waaiiit a second. Can you not stream music from Google Music over 3G? I had never tried since I only have a 500mb plan, but I just wanted to test it and when I try to select a song that not stored locally it says "Can't play this song without Wi-fi connection". I was under the impression you could use Google Music to stream your whole collection on the go?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Waaiiit a second. Can you not stream music from Google Music over 3G? I had never tried since I only have a 500mb plan, but I just wanted to test it and when I try to select a song that not stored locally it says "Can't play this song without Wi-fi connection". I was under the impression you could use Google Music to stream your whole collection on the go?
You should be able to change that in the app's settings.

whitehawk

Banned
You should be able to change that in the app's settings.
Well now I feel like an idiot. Now that you mention it, I disabled 3G music the first day I got the phone...

Also, I did NOT realize 4G was this fast. It's twice as fast as my home connection. How is that possible.

jbvSRqOhA7DxSz.png

The one with 1.60 is 3G. Damn.

trixx

I'm browsing the internet and my phone is extremely hot near the top, feels like its going to melt. Is my phone the only one that overheats?
Maybe because I'm on the charger and browsing at the same time but I can't think of a device that has similar problems.

Update: took it off the charger and its cooling down bit.

I'm browsing the internet and my phone is extremely hot near the top, feels like its going to melt. Is my phone the only one that overheats?
Maybe because I'm on the charger and browsing at the same time but I can't think of a device that has similar problems.

Update: took it off the charger and its cooling down bit.

That's a normal problem with the Nexus 4. Happens with my device too. It doesn't damage the device though, as far as I know, so don't worry.

fuzzyset

Well now I feel like an idiot. Now that you mention it, I disabled 3G music the first day I got the phone...

Also, I did NOT realize 4G was this fast. It's twice as fast as my home connection. How is that possible.

The one with 1.60 is 3G. Damn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_Packet_Access it's what TMobile 4G is in the US. The 'no' LTE complaint is really a non-issue for most people if they use TMobile. My brother has a GS3 in Philly with LTE on Verizon, and I consistently get higher bit-rates than him when we do 'random' speed tests (I live in Austin though). It's generally 15Mbps+. The LTE specification CAN do 72Mbps, but you're unlikely to see that unless you're right next to the base station with no other users.

kehs

Banned
So I can't get Wallet to start up, I get some message about the device not being fully initialized.

All I can find is random fixes involving clearing data, ISIS sim cards, and broken secure elements.

Am I gonna have to send this thing back? I've only had it for a day.

Anyone go through a similar thing?

Draper

Whelp, my phone fell out of my pocket this evening and fell onto my friend's brick fireplace. The front is shattered and doesn't respond whatsoever. Got a bunch of unread messages among other things stuck on there.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. :(

Back side shattered from butter fingers about 4/5 feet off the ground?

Front side was a straight drop from almost the same height after a fellow drunkard slapped my hand while i was looking for walking directions.

I need to bring an old phone with me when going out next time....lol

They sell these things called cases you put on your phone. They are amazing.

Why is my connection so slow? I got the T-mobile unlimited Text/Data 4G.

118kbps Download
27 kbps Upload
419ms Ping
Help!

I tested it twice more, and results are nearly the same.

I get a lot of network communication error.

asdad123

Whelp, my phone fell out of my pocket this evening and fell onto my friend's brick fireplace. The front is shattered and doesn't respond whatsoever. Got a bunch of unread messages among other things stuck on there.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. :(

If you want it repaired, you can call LG mobile at (800) 793-8896. Took me 5 minutes to set up an RMA.

I was gonna attempt to replace the cracked screen myself, but the screen itself costs about $100. Several people on other forums were saying LG charges $140 for the screen replacement so I figured I spend the extra $40 and get it done by them.

kehs

Banned
I was trying to figure out why the sound was so low and shitty on this phone.

Then I realized how high up the earpiece is. Such odd placement.

Asimov

Banned
Here is the deal... a company in my country is having a promotion only this month. 3GB of HSPA+ for $12 per monyh, but only the SIM... two year contract.

Can I use HSPA+ on the Nexus 4? Would you guys survive with data only?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
My 5th Nexus 4 is on it's way. Anyone recommend just sending it to LG for repairs right away?

For anyone that's dealt with LG warranty services, well how was it in terms of turn around time?

Husker86

My 5th Nexus 4 is on it's way. Anyone recommend just sending it to LG for repairs right away?

For anyone that's dealt with LG warranty services, well how was it in terms of turn around time?

You are either the pickiest or unluckiest Nexus 4 owner alive. I haven't been provided enough data to determine which yet.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
...why do you need so many replacements?

1st N4: Loose USB port
2nd N4: earpiece static, random popping noise, squeaky volume rocker
3rd N4: squeaky volume rocker, loose USB port
4th N4: earpiece static, random popping noise, squeaky power button, random grinding from camera when in use (loud)

You are either the pickiest or unluckiest Nexus 4 owner alive. I haven't been provided enough data to determine which yet.

Unluckiest given the fact that the one I bought for my gf in December for Christmas has zero issues, flawless.

The QA for these things are abysmal.

whitehawk

Banned
Mine has some earpiece static, but it's not reason to return it. I can only hear it in a quiet room, and only if I place it really close to my ear.

As for the squeaky buttons, mine sort of does that depending on how I press it.

My USB port is fine I think.

What do you mean by "random grinding from camera when in use"?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Mine has some earpiece static, but it's not reason to return it. I can only hear it in a quiet room, and only if I place it really close to my ear.

As for the squeaky buttons, mine sort of does that depending on how I press it.

My USB port is fine I think.

What do you mean by "random grinding from camera when in use"?

The earpiece static was noticeably loud.

No matter how I pressed the buttons they would squeak.

The USB port was so loose that the metal inside of it moved outward when taking the USB cord out of the device.

The camera would fail to focus, grind, fail to focus, grind until after about 30 seconds or so take a pic and continue grinding. Only way to stop this was tapping on the back of the device to free the auto focus mechanism.

My argument for these replacements is that my GFs N4 is flawless. The buttons are solid and aren't recessed like most of my replacements. No squeaks, almost no earpiece static and no random popping noises.

meow

The N4 I ordered was dropped and submerged in water for ~1s last week. (No kidding those things are slippery without a case!)

Amazingly, it seems to be fine....(I just knocked on wood).

Top Bottom