• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

def sim

My power button isn't very responsive anymore and I'm not sure why. Going back to stock didn't do anything so it's definitely a hardware issue.

Whatevs. I'll probably sell this eventually and see if this year's Nexus is any good.

Shambles

My power button isn't very responsive anymore and I'm not sure why. Going back to stock didn't do anything so it's definitely a hardware issue.

Whatevs. I'll probably sell this eventually and see if this year's Nexus is any good.

Just get google to send you a new one. Why put up with a problem when it's so easy to get it replaced?

def sim

Just get google to send you a new one. Why put up with a problem when it's so easy to get it replaced?

I've had it since December so I figured they would not easily (free) replace my device over an unresponsive power button. I'll shoot their customer support an email to see what's what, though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Here is the deal... a company in my country is having a promotion only this month. 3GB of HSPA+ for $12 per monyh, but only the SIM... two year contract.

Can I use HSPA+ on the Nexus 4? Would you guys survive with data only?

That's only $240 for the entire contract period. Some people pay that in two months. I'd totally do it.

You can use HSPA+ on the N4. And yeah, I could survive with data only. I barely use my voice minutes.

Asimov

Banned
So... I was about to order two of these, but they will ship in 2 weeks!

WTF!

I thought they were now easily available. I wonder if I should wait for Nexus 4 version 2.

kehs

Banned
So... I was about to order two of these, but they will ship in 2 weeks!

WTF!

I thought they were now easily available. I wonder if I should wait for Nexus 4 version 2.

It says two weeks, but it ships sooner. I ordered mine on a saturday, and got it on the next wednesday.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You post in the WP thread despite me, you'll live.

I'm worried about the build quality in these, this thread doesn't inspire confidence and I'm not a fan of LG.

These complaints are exaggerated.

kehs

Banned

I'm worried about the build quality in these, this thread doesn't inspire confidence and I'm not a fan of LG.

The phone feels very nice and well put together. Aside from the power button placement.

The buttons loosen up after a few days, which some people might not like, but I'm not super anal about buttons so who knows. Liquidus must have some shitty karma though, five devices?

Shambles

When there are hundreds of thousands of phones sold there's bound to be some lemons. All three that I ordered for myself/others had no issues. For some people the idea that glass is fragile is a new concept so it may be an issue for some. I've had a couple small drops and my phone is fine but if you're clumsy you're better off with a plastic or metal phone. I love this phone but I would never buy it for my wife who has a plastic phone that has been dropped enough that the backplate is starting to break off. Hopefully over the next year manufacturers realize how stupid glass is and that these should be designed to be used, not to be looked at on a show floor.

When there are hundreds of thousands of phones sold there's bound to be some lemons. All three that I ordered for myself/others had no issues. For some people the idea that glass is fragile is a new concept so it may be an issue for some. I've had a couple small drops and my phone is fine but if you're clumsy you're better off with a plastic or metal phone. I love this phone but I would never buy it for my wife who has a plastic phone that has been dropped enough that the backplate is starting to break off. Hopefully over the next year manufacturers realize how stupid glass is and that these should be designed to be used, not to be looked at on a show floor.

Sam......

TheFatOne

I can't decide between the 8GB or 16GB model. I'm not really going to use the Nexus 4 as an MP3 player. Will 8GB be enough or should I go for 16GB?

WoodWERD

Love the build quality on mine, and I was wary of LG after owning one of their crappy flip-phones years ago. I feel sorry for people passing on this phone because of one dude who's posted about his umpteen RMAs.

WoodWERD

I was just about to cuss Google out at the end of that last post, but then I checked the store and saw that BUMPERS ARE NOW IN STOCK!!! Freakin $28 shipped, but take my money already.

BUMPERS ARE NOW IN STOCK!!!

(in the US)

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I believe you. I just don't think your experience will be typical.

I hope that's true. I really don't want anyone to get stuck in my position.

I talked to Google and if this one isn't up to par then a refund is in order, sadly. I'm tempted to stick with it even though it might have a issue as I really do love stock Android and the phone is gorgeous. My other option is getting an S3 for $100 with all of my saved carrier credits but I can't stand Samsung.

Asimov

Banned
So, I'm ordering the phone tomorrow (pay day) but I also want to get a phone for my mother. Thing is, she doesn't need all these specs... she only needs a phone with a front camera to be able to use video chat.

Is there a cheaper option for her? I mean, another unlocked phone for, let's say... $150?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
So, I'm ordering the phone tomorrow (pay day) but I also want to get a phone for my mother. Thing is, she doesn't need all these specs... she only needs a phone with a front camera to be able to use video chat.

Is there a cheaper option for her? I mean, another unlocked phone for, let's say... $150?

A Galaxy S2 can be had at that price or an iPhone 4. There's also a ton of HTC dribble that fit into that price tag.

I was just about to cuss Google out at the end of that last post, but then I checked the store and saw that BUMPERS ARE NOW IN STOCK!!! Freakin $28 shipped, but take my money already.

Still nothing for AU :(

Is anyone having issues using the N4 with your car bluetooth? Mine connects properly, music is working, but when I try to make or receive a call, it doesn't work. Used to work flawlessly earlier with the Gnex.

Googled it and apparently it's not a problem with the device but the OS itself, that google was supposed to have fixed in the 4.2.2 update, but apparently haven't.

Any suggestions on how to get it to work?

Nicktendo86

Still nothing for AU :(

Is anyone having issues using the N4 with your car bluetooth? Mine connects properly, music is working, but when I try to make or receive a call, it doesn't work. Used to work flawlessly earlier with the Gnex.

Googled it and apparently it's not a problem with the device but the OS itself, that google was supposed to have fixed in the 4.2.2 update, but apparently haven't.

Any suggestions on how to get it to work?

No bumpers on UK store either.

As for bluetooth problem, I THINK cyanogenmod has fixed it. Not 100% sure on that though.

Asimov

Banned
A Galaxy S2 can be had at that price or an iPhone 4. There's also a ton of HTC dribble that fit into that price tag.

Those are very expensive!

I'm talking about an unlocked, out of contract phone. Like the Nexus 4.

It doesn't have to have all the amazing specs of the N4. But it should be around $150.

Can anyone explain why Wiimote support hasn't been fixed yet? I'm wondering why it broke in the first place.

Google made some fundamental changes to their Bluetooth code. remember, it's not like the Wii Remote was supported on purpose, it was purely coincidental that it worked in the first place.

kehs

Banned
This thing is basically muted anytime you put it on a flat surface, what a terrible spot for the speaker.

It's no surprise why the iphone has the speakers on the side.

Paid for mine on Monday but the status is still 'Pre-ordered'. I was hoping to have it by the weekend.

Could there be a problem with the transaction as the phone is still showing in stock?

Husker86

This thing is basically muted anytime you put it on a flat surface, what a terrible spot for the speaker.

It's no surprise why the iphone has the speakers on the side.

HTC wins on this design decision with their One. Back speakers and edge speakers all suck in some orientation...it's so stupid.

kehs

Banned
HTC wins on this design decision with their One. Back speakers and edge speakers all suck in some orientation...it's so stupid.

Yeah the forward facing speaker is a nice touch.

-----

My power button just got loud and clickity clackity clack like.

blah. Guess I'm gonna se how the rma stuff goes.

Leucrota

I am getting a Diztronic case. Is there any point to putting on a screen protecter when your phone has Gorilla Glass and you have a case on it?

How do I downgrade the software from 4.2.2 back to 4.2.1?

Whenever I make calls, I cannot hear the person and they cannot hear me. Also the ping for 3G/4G networks are very high ~500ms.

jgkspsx

The speaker in the Nexus 4 is the next-worst thing after the camera. Every smartish phone I've ever had has had a better speaker.

Top Bottom