• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

mnannola

Based on the shipping price for a nexus 7 to Texas, it seems like the 16 GB Nexus 4 will cost about $390 with tax and shipping to Texas. My guess anyway.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I like your case.

rdblbmisni.gif

Lol its my wife's phone. I have a Gnex.

Nah I have my own headphones for music listening. Just gotta find a pair for the car with a microphone now for hands free talking. Since I'm selling my iPhone I won't have a pair anymore.

I'm sure I can get a cheap pair.

Nif

I never use the earbuds from these smartphones. Feels like a waste to include them when there are so many cheap earbuds that are miles better.

Really, most of the headphones that come with phones are crap, so I doubt it would cost them even 50 cents to even include them :p

They probably just didn't feel like it (maybe packaging? Apathy?)

Samsung's included headphones are a bit better than crap! and iirc, they included them with the Galaxy Nexus...

zoku88

Samsung's included headphones are a bit better than crap!

Really? That's surprising. Out of all companies to include not as sucky headphones with their phones, I would have suspected Samsung would be the last.

Would expect HTC to include decent ones, since they seem to like to push that whole Beats by Dre thing.
Even if Beats sucks...

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah the headphones that came with the Galaxy Nexus aren't hot garbage. I still don't use them though.

Really? That's surprising. Out of all companies to include not as sucky headphones with their phones, I would have suspected Samsung would be the last.

Would expect HTC to include decent ones, since they seem to like to push that whole Beats by Dre thing.
Even if Beats sucks...

Samsung has been bundling them since at least the GS1.

Cipherr

Meh, I hate the earbuds that came with the Galaxy Nexus. They are massive and wont stay in my ears. I suppose what little I could hear sounded decent, but thats sort of meaningless when they wont stay put.

Nif

Dunno, the last samsung earbuds I tried were from the Galaxy S, and they were pretty terrible compared to my $30 sennheisers.

Cyrillus

Any news on the cost of the wireless charger? I'm looking at possibly picking up 2 (one for work, one for home), but not if they are crazily priced. Then again, I haven't bothered pricing out other Qi-compatible chargers.

markot

Banned
I wish the nexus stuff was more vibrant colour wise >.< its my only real problem with the 7, but it looks like its the same with the 10 and 4.

GatorBait

Anybody a little concerned about the faux-chrome plastic that borders the screen? Any type of plastic I've seen that is like that tends to start looking like ass as it gets some wear and tear on it.

I've never used the earbuds that came with my Galaxy Nexus. But I've never liked sticking a bit of plastic in my ear to begin with, I've never really used earbuds.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Wow techradar really liked it. Cant wait.

But it's not just about specs &#8211; value plays a huge part to play. A five star rating is reserved for a phone that we would say you should go out and buy pronto. Right now. Immediately.

The Nexus 4 comes SO close to that, it's unreal. This phone has some of the best specs around but it's not just great value, it's fantastic value. Almost too good to be true.
Had it not been crippled by silly things like a paltry memory allowance and not-quite-there camera, we'd have recommended it immediately and given it a five star rating. Alas, it's fallen just short of that.

But make no mistake &#8211; this is the best Nexus handset so far by a long shot. We love it and can't recommend it highly enough. It could seriously be a contender for our best smartphone of 2012. If you're due a new phone, you should check the Google Nexus 4 out without delay.

Marco1

I'm stuck between choosing galaxyS3 or nexus4.
Would really appreciate some advice as this will be my first android phone.

I stuck between choosing galaxyS3 or nexus4.
Would really appreciate some advice as this will be my first android phone.

Take the Nexus 4. Full Android experience which means regular updates. Great hardware and a stunning price point. If 16 GB and missing LTE are a deal breaker go for the SIII.

This is interesting: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/12rk7s/anandtech_have_run_new_nexus_4_benchmarks_which/ The benchmarks in the first reviews were surprising low considering the hardware. These new results look a lot better.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I stuck between choosing galaxyS3 or nexuWould really appreciate some advice as this will be my first android phone.

Nexus 4. Vanilla Android is the best Android and moving forward in the next 2-3 years the real innovation for phones will be the software.

Marco1

Nexus 4 for the OS updates

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Just sold my ip5 and now the wait until this is released. Now over £200 better off once I get this phone.
So hard to believe what they're offering for the price. I don't need LTE as the UK is slow on that front and 16GB will be more than enough.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Just sold my ip5 and now the wait until this is released. Now over £200 better off once I get this phone.
So hard to believe what they're offering for the price. I don't need LTE as the UK is slow on that front and 16GB will be more than enough.

Yeah I live in England and I'll be getting Nexus 4 with 3/Giffgaff tariff...I'm currently on a £25 per month contract with T-Mobile which ends at the start of December! I'll be halfing that now...

Yeah I live in England and I'll be getting Nexus 4 with 3/Giffgaff tariff...I'm currently on a £25 per month contract with T-Mobile which ends at the start of December! I'll be halfing that now...

Another BritGaf here eagerly awaiting the release of the Nexus 4 (is it the 13th yet ?). I have been using a Samsung Galaxy S since it was released several years ago and really looking forward to the LG Nexus 4. I would've upgraded my phone to the Samsung Nexus last year, but I was extremely annoyed at how Samsung treated Galaxy users.

I am also on Giffgaff, so far it isn't too bad although it was a bit of a hassle to set up but once sorted it is great and the price can't be beat. Grrrrrr is it the 13th yet ?

Another BritGaf here eagerly awaiting the release of the Nexus 4 (is it the 13th yet ?). I have been using a Samsung Galaxy S since it was released several years ago and really looking forward to the LG Nexus 4. I would've upgraded my phone to the Samsung Nexus last year, but I was extremely annoyed at how Samsung treated Galaxy users.

Hehe, same here (execpt for my nationality :D ). I almost immediately rooted my SGS and switched to a different rom. Touchwiz is straight from hell. CM9 was such a relieve. Too bad the GPS never really worked in my phone. Need the Nexus 4 now!

DieH@rd

Banned
XDA reports that Anandtech has re-run their benchmark tests with Nexus 4, now the preformance is much higher [in line with Optimus G]

As we know Anandtech published Nexus 4 benchmarks which show the phone underperforming significantly compared to its sister Optimus G. It appears they have since re-run the GLBenchmark tests and achieved much higher scores (in-line with the Optimus G) which they have not yet published.

You can analyse the full results here:
http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=glpro25&D=Google+Nexus+4&testgroup=overall

2c9H7.png

*Result will be likely hitting screen cap of ~60fps.

With these new results here is how the phone would stack up against their published results for other models for the common Egypt HD Offscreen test:
KxbX6.png

Im so buying this. :D [bench scores never mattered much to me, but I fully expected this kind of scores, in line with Optimus G]

Kerrinck

In the US, will the unlocked version be sold anywhere else beside the play store?
The play store is ip locked so I cannot purchase and send it to my friend that is staying over there.

abunai

I am also on Giffgaff, so far it isn't too bad although it was a bit of a hassle to set up but once sorted it is great and the price can't be beat. Grrrrrr is it the 13th yet ?

It might not be the 13th yet but you'd still need to wait 1-2 days for shipping!
I'm from the UK too and just made myself sad

Hehe, same here (execpt for my nationality :D ). I almost immediately rooted my SGS and switched to a different rom. Touchwiz is straight from hell. CM9 was such a relieve. Too bad the GPS never really worked in my phone. Need the Nexus 4 now!

Glad to see I am not alone :-D I never flashed my SGS I just couldn't take the risk of having a £400 brick so I was at the mercy of Samsung. When they cheerfully announced that the SGS was not getting ICS I was not the happiest bunny in the world.

I did try their "compromise" which was an update to gingerbread with some frills that made my phone beyond useless it crashes at least 3 or 4 times a day. I cannot wait to be done with Samsung and I will never touch another one of their phones ever again. As far as I am concerned I will only ever buy a Nexus phone now (unless it has Samsung making it).

It might not be the 13th yet but you'd still need to wait 1-2 days for shipping!
I'm from the UK too and just made myself sad

Yeah it bums me out we have to order from Google play. There is a carphone warehouse not 5 minutes from where I live. I would love to go down there on Tuesday and plonk £300 down and pick up my phone but they are only accepting orders on a contract. The delivery time isn't too bad and I can annoy everyone on the Neogaf minecraft server with my impatience :-D so it is all good in the end.

I'm definitely picking up an N4 but I'm debating between AT&T and Tmobile. I think AT&T has better service in my area and just overall but the prospect of going contract free on T mobile is extremely tempting.

I'm contemplating getting a new number and test driving T mobile for a month before I
make a decision and port my current number.

It really shouldn't be this hard to get good service and the phone you want.

Top Bottom