• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sounds reasonable.

Not if the phone gets so hot it has to throttle down just by running a pretty typical 3D game scenario. That means somethiing somewhere is wrong. Hopefully it's a software issue, but it could also very well be bad hardware design.

I just listened to latest anandtech podcast, Brian mentioned that thermal throttling is set at lower than expected temperatures. One XML file controls it.

But they also said (somewhere) that the phone got very hot when running the benchmarks. Doesn't sound too great.

malyce

The old Nexus had an absolutely atrocious battery life. Upgraders will be glad to know the Nexus 4 lasts a lot longer. I usually get about 12-14 hours out of the battery with medium use. The screen on time for both battery charts was 2 hours and 40ish minutes. The battery charges from dead to full in about 2-3 hours.

The fuck? This makes no sense. On a 15 hour run I'll get 3.5 hours of screen time out of my Galaxy Nexus.

Doopliss

The fuck? This makes no sense. On a 15 hour run I'll get 3.5 hours of screen time out of my Galaxy Nexus.

3XNbl.jpg

reKon

Banned

Gsm or lte? What's your typical screen brightness and do you stay on WiFi a lot through the day ? These are all substantial factors that make a huge difference and it's something that reviewers stupidly disregard. Battery life comments from them are usually vague. I'm pretty sure though that this phone will be much more battery efficient. If there was wireless charging everywhere in public places, that would be amazing. We will have to wait until an iphone gets it before we see that.

Ventron

Thermal throttling?
Do they know if this is being triggered by a software issue? If so, I'll still buy day 1 and wait for the patch.

malyce

Same here. And that's at low brightness.

I have the GSM Galaxy Nexus, and I always get, at most, 2.5 hour screen time. I'm not sure what sort of voodoo you're doing to get a full hour more.

Here's a few screen shots from a few months ago.

emC9Rl.png
AbI8Il.png

5sHK9l.png
DOCGFl.png

People have been known to get 4 hours of screen time with the right ROM/Kernel combo.

It's all relative to what you use your phone for, because I can get 8+ hours of screen time on Aldiko in night mode.

Here's a few screen shots from a few months ago.

AbI8Il.png

DOCGFl.png

People have been known to get 4 hours of screen time with the right ROM/Kernel combo.

It's all relative to what you use your phone for, because I can get 8+ hours of screen time on Aldiko in night mode.

Ah, that makes sense. You're using a custom kernel/rom. On stock, it's nowhere near that good.

I assume, with the right kernel/rom, the Nexus 4 will have an insane battery life too -- possibly double what you're getting on the Galaxy Nexus with your custom setup, which would be ridiculous.

I'm back in for Day 1. I'm confident Google will optimize stock to be as good as the Optimus G; if not, I'm no stranger to custom roms.

Oyashiro

forget LTE, 16 gig limit, or the battery life (which I think is fine).. THIS is the phone's greatest downfall for me.

Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this is a big deal, haha. Hardware wise the phone looks beautiful, software wise it looks perfect, but that camera looks awful compared to the iPhone 5, GS3, One X, etc.

ektoll

Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this is a big deal, haha. Hardware wise the phone looks beautiful, software wise it looks perfect, but that camera looks awful compared to the iPhone 5, GS3, One X, etc.

Is there a fully fleshed out comparison between the camera of the major smartphones out there?

One thing that is often missing is a dedicated button for taking pictures (nokia have them).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I'm trying to get over those pictures, too. My main gripe from moving to a Note 1 to the N4 has always been the camera. And it seems like the N4 is a downgrade.

kharma45

One thing that is often missing is a dedicated button for taking pictures (nokia have them).

That's one thing I'm glad Microsoft made a hardware requirement on Windows Phone, so much nicer than tapping the screen and I find I get much better results too.

Yeah, I was hoping to have a really great camera. 16gb and no LTE doesn't bother me at all (on T-Mobile). Like you guys, the camera is the biggest disappointment to me.

Maiar_m

My dad wants to know what time we can order this phone on Tuesday?

Nobody knows for sure man. Chances are it'll be midday in Mountain View.

My biggest concern is battery life. I don't care if the CPU underperforms as long as it's still snappy has hell, and that seems to be the case. I don't care about the camera, I use my smartphone to shoot cats and crap, I use my DSLR to take pictures I want to be good. I however find it completely unacceptable that a modern phone needs charging that often. If the Razr HD Maxx were available in France, I think I'd buy it just to support the good practice, timely updates be damned.

What's with all this GREATEST ANDROID PHONE EVER nonsense. The s3 and note 2 blow this thing out of the water. Even the s2 hd lte does as well. Don't get me wrong, the price is great, but I'd rather get an htc one s/x than this phone when it comes to specs and quality of the build...

darkwing

What's with all this GREATEST ANDROID PHONE EVER nonsense. The s3 and note 2 blow this thing out of the water. Even the s2 hd lte does as well. Don't get me wrong, the price is great, but I'd rather get an htc one s/x than this phone when it comes to specs and quality of the build...

dude its a Nexus Phone, the S2 doesn't even have official JB and it was the top phone last year lol

F#A#Oo

Banned

OK...

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

On the flip side. The price is the only reason I haven't considered a smart phone until now. LTE, an amazing camera, etc. are not things I care about in the slightest.

Calantus

S3 is on par with the nexus 4, not sure about the note 2

Where are these comparisons? Everything I've read and seen suggests that the camera is worlds better than the Galaxy Nexus -- but still in the "good not amazing" category.

There was a video comparison posted earlier that directly compared the N4 and iPhone 5, and the N4 actually came out ahead in some aspects. So, I'm puzzled by all the doom and gloom talk.

Not according to, well, everyone that's played with the N4. But, carry on.

Renji_11

Does anybody know if I can use Google Wallet on the Nexus 4 on AT&T? I am trying to decide if I want this phone or the Lumia 920 which should be able to use WP8 new wallet app. since it supports the ISIS thing the carriers are pushing for.

S3 is cool if you want to carry a Fisher-Price toy in your pocket all day long.

I'm a man. I grow a beard. I want glass

I wished this was closer to 200 dollars, i would get it as a phone to try out jelly bean. Is the sim card micro sim?

Yes the sim is Micro Sim. I can't say I am that bothered about the camera, never really understood why a camera became a necessity on a mobile phone in the first place. As far as I am concerned a camera is just a novelty, it is cool to have and I will probably use it to take the odd shot now and again which I am sure this camera will be more than capable of.

Urgh still 5 days till we can order it, I have my micro sim sorted, I have my credit card at the ready and I cannot wait to ditch this SGS. The 13th can't come fast enough.

I have a galaxy S2 with about 6-7 months left on contract. I'm debating buying this phone or waiting for the Galaxy S4. Decisions decisions. What to do?

F#A#Oo

Banned
The play store for UK says 13th. Is that when orders can be made or when they start shipping? If so when is the order stage opening?

This seems so disorganised. Or maybe I'm just being impatient. lol

kharma45

The play store for UK says 13th. Is that when orders can be made or when they start shipping? If so when is the order stage opening?

This seems so disorganised. Or maybe I'm just being impatient. lol

From the looks of it that is when they'll be taking orders.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I have a galaxy S2 with about 6-7 months left on contract. I'm debating buying this phone or waiting for the Galaxy S4. Decisions decisions. What to do?

S4. That's still quite a lengthy term left.

Also by then HTC, Sony and Samsung will probably have some uber spec'ed phone.

S3 is cool if you want to carry a Fisher-Price toy in your pocket all day long.

I'm a man. I grow a beard. I want glass

I dunno, I've owned an iPhone 4 and (briefly) a 5, and I kinda love my flimsy plasticky Androids that I've owned (HTC Dream, Samsung Epic 4G). Plastic can take a pounding. I have this feeling I'm going to break the back of the Nexus 4.

S4. That's still quite a lengthy term left.

Also by then HTC, Sony and Samsung will probably have some uber spec'ed phone.

If it isn't free of carrier reskins, mandatory carrier apps, slow carrier OS updates and the like, who gives a shit? Tired of not having the best support by Google. Yeah, you can root, but often the dev roms are buggy as shit when using major updates that are not official supported for your carrier/phone combo.

F#A#Oo

Banned
If it isn't free of carrier reskins, mandatory carrier apps, slow carrier OS updates and the like, who gives a shit? Tired of not having the best support by Google. Yeah, you can root, but often the dev roms are buggy as shit when using major updates that are not official supported for your carrier/phone combo.

Yep...I'm getting the Nexus 4 exactly because I care about software more than hardware.

I wish more phone makers went vanilla but I mean I guess on their end they feel they need to differentiate their phone from phone X from a competitive stand point.

I like Sense for example. I hate TouchWiz though even though it's been scaled back from earlier versions which were really bloated.

For me there's no going back to HTC or Samsung unless they release something really compelling which makes me put up with their interface.

Maiar_m

I was wondering about that actually: it's Android, no matter what skin you put on it, it never makes enough difference that I've heard people choose a version of the skinned software over another, or it was only a lesser of the two evils kind of choice. So why aren't any manufacturer producing vanilla handsets in their lineups? It would make sense economically and it wouldn't really confuses the masses either...

Top Bottom