• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Officially put my 4S on Craigslist and will be going back to using my iPhone 3G until I recieve the N4 next week. Probably close to an entire week with the 3G. Hold me GAF.

I almost dropped my 4S the other day and it made me realize I need to get rid of it ASAP before my luck runs out (I've never dropped a phone ever) and the value of the phone gets destroyed by some freak accident in the next week.

Ocho

This is interesting: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/12rk7s/anandtech_have_run_new_nexus_4_benchmarks_which/ The benchmarks in the first reviews were surprising low considering the hardware. These new results look a lot better.

From reddit:

Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but Brian Klug redid the tests while the phone was in the fridge to test if it was thermal throttling. And that turned out to be the case. https://twitter.com/nerdtalker/status/266194787466616832

Oh uh.

Shambles

From reddit:

Oh uh.

GDMFSOB. Aw well, my phone is getting long in the tooth. I'll probably still pick up the N4 at that price it's hard to pass up.

nokia-5230.jpg

I'm second-guessing my Day 1 position.

My main incentive was the assumed better battery life, but it's not sounding great -- unless Google updates the kernel by launch.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
From reddit:

Oh uh.

Thermal throttling isn't a big deal. It is easily changeable. Beaten above.

I bet the phone not getting too hot is a conscious decision, but for what? Maybe battery life?

zoku88

I bet the phone not getting too hot is a conscious decision, but for what? Maybe battery life?

Either that or comfortability.

But I'm guessing the former.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Still sucks that they have apparently designed a phone that gets too hot when being used for demanding tasks. Why even put that awesome CPU and GPU in there if you're not gonna let the phone take advantage of them?

This has me pretty worried. Definitely gonna wait a while before jumping on this phone and let early adopters beta test it for me.

Yeah, yeah, "easily changeable", but what happens if you do? Does the phone commit suicide by heat? Again, waiting to find out what's really going on here before I even think about ordering this phone.

(Other than that, the new benchmark is pretty amazing. This phone is just crushing shit when allowed to reach its full potential!)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I want the entire back cover to be free of all text. That Nexus logo is gaudy. And I don't want people to know I'm using an LG phone. I want to at least keep some of my dignity.

This brought back some of my hype. I like that they took a week to really put the phone through its paces; I sometimes wonder if the "gotta publish first" mentality hurts reviews (all reviews, not just the N4). I know, for example, that the Verge did their review in 24-48 hours. While they had positive impressions of the battery life, I wonder if Josh's opinion would've changed after a week.

That said, the Android Central review claims they get 3-5 hours with the screen on. I presume the range depends on camera usage, signal, etc. (Photo Sphere is undoubtedly a battery suck).

Right now, on my stock Galaxy Nexus, I get about 2.5 hours of screen time with moderate use, and that's with no camera use. So, even at its worst, the Nexus 4 seems to be better. Still, I hope it will seriously improve to, at least, be on par with the Optimus G benchmarks.

Kiraly

I want the entire back cover to be free of all text. That Nexus logo is gaudy. And I don't want people to know I'm using an LG phone. I want to at least keep some of my dignity.

When you hold your phone like you should, the LG logo will be covered by your hand

People will only see that you are part of the glorious Nexus master race

Bboy AJ

Get a case :p
Yeah, but then I'd be one of those people. I did replace my iPhone 4's backing, though. I wonder if I could with this phone.

This brought back some of my hype. I like that they took a week to really put the phone through its paces; I sometimes wonder if the "gotta publish first" mentality hurts reviews (all reviews, not just the N4). I know, for example, that the Verge did their review in 24-48 hours. While they had positive impressions of the battery life, I wonder if Josh's opinion would've changed after a week.

That said, the Android Central review claims they get 3-5 hours with the screen on. I presume the range depends on camera usage, signal, etc. (Photo Sphere is undoubtedly a battery suck).

Right now, on my stock Galaxy Nexus, I get about 2.5 hours of screen time with moderate use, and that's with no camera use. So, even at its worst, the Nexus 4 seems to be better. Still, I hope it will seriously improve to, at least, be on par with the Optimus G benchmarks.
I read that review, too. It's really well written and answers most questions you'd have, unlike the Verge review. I also love the 3-5 hours figure. That's totally doable.

When you hold your phone like you should, the LG logo will be covered by your hand

People will only see that you are part of the glorious Nexus master race
I think it's curious Google is pushing this Nexus logo onto the phone in such a large way. It's likely a big step in a new direction. Or rather, a slightly different attempt in a similar direction.

---

Who's getting the 8GB? I don't think I'll utilize the 16GB but for $50, no big deal. I'll be getting the 16GB. The 8GB hits an important price point, though. Of course, I bet Google wants to sell way more 16GB models since they're not losing as much money. Here's Android Central's opinion Don't buy the 8GB Nexus 4

Nin_Fan

I'm with Verizon but I am very interested in this phone. I've heard several times that this phone will not work with Verizon. Does that mean that it will not work with Verizon's 4G LTE network or that it absolutely will not work with Verizon services?

Bboy AJ

I'm with Verizon but I am very interested in this phone. I've heard several times that this phone will not work with Verizon. Does that mean that it will not work with Verizon's 4G LTE network or that it absolutely will not work with Verizon services?

It will not work with Verizon period.

Marco1

I apologise for my laziness to check the reviews but how does the performance match up to the galaxy S3 ?
Thanks.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Who's getting the 8GB? I don't think I'll utilize the 16GB but for $50, no big deal. I'll be getting the 16GB. The 8GB hits an important price point, though. Of course, I bet Google wants to sell way more 16GB models since they're not losing as much money. Here's Android Central's opinion Don't buy the 8GB Nexus 4

13 GB is fine for me, since I don't keep more music than I need on the phone at any one time (I pin the stuff I'm most likely to want to listen to in Google Music), rarely put any movies or TV episodes on it, and never keep more than a few high-end games installed along with a bunch of smaller casual ones.

5 GB, though? No, that simply wouldn't be enough. You'd have to be very picky with what you keep on the phone and what you don't, or you'd quickly end up with no breathing room at all for trying out new apps and games, recording video, etc. It'd just be too restrictive for anyone but very light users.

(16 GB = 13 GB of usable space, 8 GB = 5 GB of usable space.)

8gb is fine for me. I have 5 folders of games on my iPhone 4S 16GB. Half of which are 200mb + games I don't even play, so I won't be re-buying those on android. I think the 16GB comes with 13 GB when you get it. I have 6GB free.

Not an issue. I use streaming apps for my music like spotify or rdio and will now be using google music on top of those. I can easily manage with 5-6GB. Chances are I don't keep this phone for longer than a year or two anyways. No big deal.

I'm getting the 8GB. I'll be using the phone for a year or slightly less at MOST. Besides that, I mostly use my phone for browsing the web/texting/email/occasional game. I use my ipad mini for the rest. So the 5-6 gigs of usable space should be more than enough for me. Also cloud storage will be used for a lot of random stuff. iPod nano for my music.

buhdeh

6GB data plan means 8GB for me. On my Nexus 7 I have 11.26GB free out of 13.24GB total. On my S3, I have 10GB free out of 12.05GB total (I guess the total size is because of CM10). Google Music cloud storage is glorious. Only games I play are flick golf and ski safari. I'm just slightly worried about recording HD video but I've done that maybe 5 times since owning an iPhone 4S.

Marco1

As much as I want a N4 at launch, I think the thermal throttling might be an issue.
I want to see some gaffers impressions before I make the jump.

Can someone explain wtf thermal throttling is?

As long as the camera is close to the 4S and not worse than I'm okay. Being able to finally shoot in 720p is going to be a blessing too.

You slow the CPU (or GPU or wtv) down when the heat generated passes some point.
Does the iPhone do anything similar?

Is this super geek nitpicking or something that will be noticeable to most users? The phone just starts chugging when it gets hot?

Guess Toronto winters working in our favor for once whitehawk!

freshair

Is this super geek nitpicking or something that will be noticeable to most users? The phone just starts chugging when it gets hot?

Not that nitpicky since the optimus G (identical hardware) doesn't seem to do this and when benchmarked, has considerable better performance than the N4.

So people are chalking it up to a bug in the pre-release software.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
What a bummer. The thermal throttling and battery life is making me have second thoughts. Does the optimus g throttle?

You won't notice it, the thing is a beast in games and such at half of its power anyway.

Not that nitpicky since the optimus G (identical hardware) doesn't seem to do this and when benchmarked, has considerable better performance than the N4.

So people are chalking it up to a bug in the pre-release software.
Hopefully that's the case. I don't imagine this will be a huge issue for myself personally but I guess we'll know for sure soon. Doesn't make sense that you have two hardware identical devices where one has it and the other doesn't. I'm sure it's a bug.

zoku88

Does the iPhone do anything similar?

Guess Toronto winters working in our favor for once whitehawk!

Technically, almost everything is designed to do this. Like, if your computer is dirty and thus, the CPU will actually throttle itself down to avoid getting too hot.

The main thing is, under normal conditions, you don't really expect to have to throttle yourself due to heat. In normal conditions, the designers know how much heat the CPU will produce and the amount of heat the CPU can handle. Thus, the product would take those things into consideration somehow, like allowing better airflow. Or downclocking the CPU so it produces less heat. etc

giga

GLBenchmark isn't a stress test. They basically simulate 3D games and log the fps. I hope it's pre-release software.

DieH@rd

Banned
GLBenchmark isn't a stress test. They basically simulate 3D games and log the fps. I hope it's pre-release software.

I just listened to latest anandtech podcast, Brian mentioned that thermal throttling is set at lower than expected temperatures. One XML file controls it.

Top Bottom