• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
No you're not. Also isn't half the point to have the screen seemingly disappear into the front of the device when it's off?
Agreed. That's the best part. A white bezel would completely ruin it.

hardware buttons, lol. Also the price difference is not really worth it IMO between N4 and GS4

Also agreed. Why spend $300 more when it's not that much better? I just don't get it. No phone will touch the N4 until the N5 comes out.

Mercurial

yeah glass chipped at the very bottom and scuff marks :\ im doomed! read I can get it replaced for round £100 from Carphone Warehouse, may inquire tomorrow.
Ha. This happened to me as well. Still just rotating every two seconds... Can't afford to repair it. Ugh.

My Nexus S was a beast. The 4 is such a dainty princess.

kharma45

How do you know the front isn't white either?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjDkALQ76ag

White-Nexus-4-5.jpg

deim0s

Just got my Nexus 4. Since I've upgraded to a new contract I forgot to ask them to copy my data to the new sim card. So I copied my old contacts via exporting to a vcf file and imported to the new device.

Is there a way to copy my current contacts to the sim card? The "people" app doesn't offer any options.

moka

I was using my phone and suddenly it crashed and my battery drained completely, to turn my phone on I had to connect the charger. What happened here, Gaf? Should I be worried?

I've looked around and some other people have had the same issue, apparently it's to do with the algorithm that is used to calculate battery level, I'm tempted to investigate.

This happened to me once with the gnex, froze while I was on a call then wouldn't turn on. Had to remove the battery and then it showed me 5% battery left when I had 70% before the crash.

Zajora

This happened to me once with the gnex, froze while I was on a call then wouldn't turn on. Had to remove the battery and then it showed me 5% battery left when I had 70% before the crash.

That happened to me awhile ago with my Nexus S. The battery hasn't been the same since, and barely lasts me the day with basically no usage. For some reason the reception seems pretty awful now too, especially with wifi and for calls. :\

That's actually basically the reason I'm thinking of getting a Nexus 4, especially the recently announced white one. I have heard some bad stories about the N4's bad battery life, and that's even worse because the battery is non-removable, isn't it?

Do you all find that the battery life is acceptable?

Fireblend

Banned
How does this compare in size to the Galaxy Nexus?

Thinking of replacing my Nexus S with this next month. My brother has a Galaxy Nexus and I'd like to know how much bigger (if any) the 4 is.

What are the chances of a new phone being out by August? My wife just downgraded her droid to a Spider-Man edition and our contracts are up in August.

dave_m123

Guys,

how does this compare to say an S3? Getting a new phone in next 2-3 weeks and these are on my radar along with an Xperia Z and S4

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Can the Nexus 4 handle a drop as well as an iPhone?

I'd say about as well as any phone with a glass back and front. AKA I wouldn't count on it surviving when dropping it over concrete.

Pctx

Banned
And yet GAF still perpetuate the LG poor build quality myth.

thisisneogafdude.gif

I don't. If people drop their phones that's on them. If they don't want to use a case, that's on them as well. The build quality of the N4 is amazing, even for an LG product. I'm a believer and the haters are definitely gonna hate.

I don't. If people drop their phones that's on them. If they don't want to use a case, that's on them as well. The build quality of the N4 is amazing, even for an LG product. I'm a believer and the haters are definitely gonna hate.

Speaking of build quality, I just received my replacement Nexus 4 from Google (the back panel wasn't properly affixed so the whole thing was creaky). Is there an easy process to back up and restore onto my new phone? I'd love to have to to do next to nothing as far as customization and porting over contacts, music, theme, etc.

Speaking of build quality, I just received my replacement Nexus 4 from Google (the back panel wasn't properly affixed so the whole thing was creaky). Is there an easy process to back up and restore onto my new phone? I'd love to have to to do next to nothing as far as customization and porting over contacts, music, theme, etc.

Contacts are synced to your Google account

apps you have installed should (and i mean should... sometimes it just doesn't work) download to the new device after you sign in but the app data for most of them won't

music, theme, etc... no, but you can just plug in both devices to a computer and cross transfer your media files

if you really want to backup and restore apps an data you can use Helium

Contacts are synced to your Google account

apps you have installed should (and i mean should... sometimes it just doesn't work) download to the new device after you sign in but the app data for most of them won't

music, theme, etc... no, but you can just plug in both devices to a computer and cross transfer your media files

if you really want to backup and restore apps an data you can use Helium

Thanks for the helium recommendation! I'll check that out tonight and see if it can make it relatively painless.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've got a replacement N4 coming (creaky back). I'm just going to create a Nandroid backup and flash the new one with the old one's image.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Haha I forgot about liquidus, the unluckiest nexus owner in the world.

So, what is this creaky back problem? How does it develop?

The back glass isn't properly glued to the rear frame evenly so it begins to creak due to the gap.

2 of mine had it.

It's sad that I have a routine in place the second I get a replacement. First I check for button squeaks then I press down on the front and back glass clockwise and counter clockwise to check for creaking followed by checking the corners. After that I call Google, turn on my Nexus and wait for the new replacement to come in.

Nicktendo86

The back glass isn't properly glued to the rear frame evenly so it begins to creak due to the gap.

2 of mine had it.

It's sad that I have a routine in place the second I get a replacement. First I check for button squeaks then I press down on the front and back glass clockwise and counter clockwise to check for creaking followed by checking the corners. After that I call Google, turn on my Nexus and wait for the new replacement to come in.

How is the one you have now?

Davidion

And yet GAF still perpetuate the LG poor build quality myth.

thisisneogafdude.gif

The Nexus 4 is the only, only phone I've ever owned that broke and became completely nonfunctional upon a single drop, with a case, and protectors underneath it. In fact it's the only phone that I've ever owned that every became nonfunctional due to damage, ever.

Don't get me started either.

I was hoping for Google to announce the next Nexus 4 last week to see if the upgrade is worth it. It looks like I will have to wait longer to find out.

iirate

I've dropped my phone something like 6 times now. Thanks to the Diztronic TPU case, no cracks or scratches.

Seriously, get a case.

Okay, so I've had mine since Feb, been really careful with it, no drops until last week. On my way to work last week, I dropped it three feet onto concrete, and then this weekend I dropped my purse(with the phone in it) from the same distance like 2 or 3 times. It's 100% fine.

I have a Rinke Fusion case on it. I'm not going to press my luck or anything after some of the stories I've read here, but no problems with the build from my perspective.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
How is the one you have now?

The top left and bottom left corners creak.

Let's say you're holding your phone with your left hand. The left bottom corner will creak when placed in your palm and when you let go.

The top right corner creaks when you attempt to press volume up but touch the bezel as well.

I'll put up with it until something serious develops like dead screens (had 1 dead, 2 unresponsive so far).

Nicktendo86

The top left and bottom left corners creak.

Let's say you're holding your phone with your left hand. The left bottom corner will creak when placed in your palm and when you let go.

The top right corner creaks when you attempt to press volume up but touch the bezel as well.

I'll put up with it until something serious develops like dead screens (had 1 dead, 2 unresponsive so far).

You do scare the shit out of me, I can't wait to get my nexus 4 but I am über anal about things like this. My brother has had his since february though and it is still flawless...

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
You do scare the shit out of me, I can't wait to get my nexus 4 but I am über anal about things like this. My brother has had his since february though and it is still flawless...

I'm sure Google just sends me the bad SKUs so I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm just waiting for Google to give me a full refund on one of my N4s so I can get one from my carrier as I can get it for $100 withy saved up credits.

Top Bottom