• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Liquidus, happen to remember the first 4 places of the S/Ns on the devices?

I have 4 out of 7 Google Play packing slips that came with my replacements. Not sure where the other 3 are. They have the serial numbers unlike Google Wallet transactions.

They all start with 35391805.

Edit- whoops. That's the beginning of the IMEI. Damn. Not sure about the serial:-(

Don't know what the search update fixed, but my phone still refuses to work with my car bluetooth for voice calls.

If 4.3 doesn't fix it, i'll have to get it replaced.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Liquidus, what's the easiest and fastest way to contact Google for a Nexus exchange?

How are you doing this?

(I have literally the same creaky-back issue.)

You need to be rooted and have a custom recovery installed. If you aren't already rooted, it'll be a pain.

Groof

DSC00541.JPG
HOW DO I GET THIS WHITE SHIT OUT FROM THE BEZEL?!?!?!?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Unfortunately.

Either way I wish you luck sir.

HOW DO I GET THIS WHITE SHIT OUT FROM THE BEZEL?!?!?!?

Try a glasses cleaning kit if you have one around. A gentle dab of solution and a light wipe with a soft cloth.

Edit- Wait a second but is that on the chrome part? Any chance it's the chrome plating coming off the plastic? Need better pic.

Groof

Try a glasses cleaning kit if you have one around. A gentle dab of solution and a light wipe with a soft cloth.

Edit- Wait a second but is that on the chrome part? Any chance it's the chrome plating coming off the plastic? Need better pic.

Naw it's some dust or something that's stuck in between the chrome and the glass.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Take the corner of a piece of paper and run it inbetween the glass and chrome bezel and see if it grab the dust.

Do it gently so no paper gets stuck there!

Groof

Take the corner of a piece of paper and run it inbetween the glass and chrome bezel and see if it grab the dust.

Do it gently so no paper gets stuck there!

You, my friend, are a GOD amongst men. I think you might have just saved my sanity!

iirate

Is the ringke fusion better than the poetic bumper?

Currently using a Fusion, had a Poetic first. I LOVED the look and feel of the Poetic, but it wore out super quickly(a couple of weeks) and needed to be replaced. I had a Fusion that I had ordered prior lying around, and it has served me well for the last several months.

I'm still considering getting another Poetic, just because I liked the form factor so much with it. They're cheap enough to consider using despite their short lifespans, IMO.

Beowulf28

So I currently have a Nokia WP8 and I'm thinking of getting a N4 to see what all the fuss is about, but I have a few questions.

1) Whats the battery life like? Can I get through an entire day with decent usage?

2) Is there a way to sync your contacts with social media? I love this feature on WP

3) Are custom ROMS necessary for a good android experience or is stock good on its own?

Pctx

Banned
So I currently have a Nokia WP8 and I'm thinking of getting a N4 to see what all the fuss is about, but I have a few questions.

1) Whats the battery life like? Can I get through an entire day with decent usage?

2) Is there a way to sync your contacts with social media? I love this feature on WP

3) Are custom ROMS necessary for a good android experience or is stock good on its own?

1) I get 18-25 hrs of battery life with around 3-4 hrs of screen time on complete stock. That includes: Web browsing, calls, text, bluetooth streaming to my radio in car on commutes, etc.

2) Yes. You can sync your FB stuff (and I believe Twitter as well) to your Android contacts to look like one giant pool.

3) No.

Groof

Two days ago my phone would jump straight to 100% charge as soon as I plugged it in to the charger, but when I unplugged it it would go back down to the percentage it was before. I rebooted the device and it was fine, but just a moment ago it did the same thing, but fixed itself without a reboot. What causes this?

Cigol

Weird mine did the same (for the first, and hopefully only, time) about a week ago. I just let it discharge and then charged to full again. Didn't think to restart it.

Welp.

The bluetooth doesn't seem to be entirely fixed. It's definitely more reliable since the latest update, but it's still buggy when the wifi is turned on.

I'm starting to think this might be a hardware issue with the N4.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Two days ago my phone would jump straight to 100% charge as soon as I plugged it in to the charger, but when I unplugged it it would go back down to the percentage it was before. I rebooted the device and it was fine, but just a moment ago it did the same thing, but fixed itself without a reboot. What causes this?

Some of mine did that too. At least 3 of them I think.

Anyways I returned one of my Nexus 4s to Google for a refund and picked one up from my carrier for $56 on a $150 Tab. For that price I'm willing to settle for the quality. Not looking forward to deal with warranty repairs but oh well at least I saved $300+. I usually refer people through my Kijiji add and get the Tab paid off in a few months.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Just a heads up:

Everybody kept saying on XDA-Developers that the Samsung Desktop Dock for Infuse 4G would work on the Nexus 4 as a dock.

Well, it does and it doesn't: The phone sits flush on the dock and the connector is aligned properly. It charges and it works as expected: You can even sit it sideways and it will work in landscape mode.

Now the bad parts:

The dock doesn't do data traffic, it's only an energy connection. So, in other words, it won't work as a USB transfer "cradle" for your computer.

The other bad thing is that the phone doesn't actually go into Dock mode. It just identifies that it's charging. Daydream can be set to work when it detects the phone is charging, so that's not that bad. However, people were saying that it made the phone get into "dock" mode, and it doesn't.

Also the speaker doesn't align properly with the hole for it on the back, but who cares - there's a depression in the case to make up for it.

Groof

Weird mine did the same (for the first, and hopefully only, time) about a week ago. I just let it discharge and then charged to full again. Didn't think to restart it.
Scary stuff yo. I really don't want it to happen again, but I've had this phone for 6 months or so and this is the first time this has happened. Wouldn't want it to go bananas

Pctx

Banned

From what I've read it is an USB issue, I've had it happen on mine a couple of times and I thought... wow... that's fast. :)

Revoh

I like how the phone doesn't get in my way, it just works and it's stupidly fast. I have it for almost a month now and I just realized I still haven't turned it off/rebooted since the first time I booted it up, it's got 617 hours of up time. I remember my stock Samsung Galaxy used to randomly freeze or reboot, suck a pain in the ass.
Stock Android 4.2.2 is amazing, I love it.

Pegasos123

i have i galaxy s3 with android revolution HD 31 ... the battery life is amazing

unfortunately the glas of its display broke because i had my keys and the phone in the same pocket :-/
i dont want to play 200€ to repair it because i could buy a complete new phone with those 200€

i felt in love with the nexus 4 ... how is the battery life (with stock rom/paranoid/liquidsmooth)
compared to the s3?

Groof

i have i galaxy s3 with android revolution HD 31 ... the battery life is amazing

unfortunately the glas of its display broke because i had my keys and the phone in the same pocket :-/
i dont want to play 200€ to repair it because i could buy a complete new phone with those 200€

i felt in love with the nexus 4 ... how is the battery life (with stock rom/paranoid/liquidsmooth)
compared to the s3?

Depends on how much you use it. I'm running stock right now and I usually get through a day pretty easily. On days where activity is higher (constant IMing, web browsing, facebooking etc) it'll go out pretty quick (half a day, maybe?). A day for me starts at 7am and I usually have to charge it around 11pm.
I can't vouch much for any ROMs though, but I personally experienced poorer battery life running franco's kernel. But considering a lot of people got much greater battery life it might differ for you.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

compared to the s3?

4.5 to 5 hours screen time on stock 4.2.2. There are kernels that improve it but I'm fine with that.

Usage will vary according to use.

LazyLoki

Well well well... after bricking my One X, I went and got a Nexus 4 today.
DAMN... it's so much better out of the box than the HTC. Very nice!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
[url]http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05/28/lg-announces-the-white-nexus-4-quashes-all-rumors-that-the-company-is-working-on-the-nexus-5/[/url] said:
LG Mobile president Won Kim recently made a statement that the company is not working on the Nexus 5, despite the piles of rumors that it is. He went on to say that the "Nexus 4 was a great success despite the production problems for us and Google. However we do not need such a marketing success again" a statement which basically makes no sense in this world, because what company doesn't want to repeat a marketing success?

Nexus 4 purchase vindicated and everything, but what the fuck?

SimleuqiR

Well they probably want to sell more flagship models at $600-650 MSRP rather than $300-350.

Well they probably want to sell more flagship models at $600-650 MSRP rather than $300-350.

Who says LG is not getting above the $350 we pay for the phone. Google is the one subsidizing the phone their customers.

It just sounds like Google might not be too happy with how LG handle the whole shortage thing. I just don't want another Samsung Nexus phone EVER! Not after the sexyness that is the Nexus 4 design (flaws and all).

Love the glass back, and the rubberized sides. Phone just feels good in the hand.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Who says LG is not getting above the $350 we pay for the phone. Google is the one subsidizing the phone their customers.

It just sounds like Google might not be too happy with how LG handle the whole shortage thing. I just don't want another Samsung Nexus phone EVER! Not after the sexyness that is the Nexus 4 design (flaws and all).

Love the glass back, and the rubberized sides. Phone just feels good in the hand.

I still think glass back on phones is the dumbest design choice we had this decade. Sure, it looks nice, but it's heavy and breaks by itself.

Plastic/Carbon Fiber backs all the way, baby!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I still have a hard time recommending any other phone other than the Nexus 4. Come on, someone tell me of a $200-$300 off contract phone you'd rather purchase, new. My in laws asked me and I had no answer other than an N4.

reKon

Banned
I still have a hard time recommending any other phone other than the Nexus 4. Come on, someone tell me of a $200-$300 off contract phone you'd rather purchase, new. My in laws asked me and I had no answer other than an N4.

The sexiness of the HTC One is worth thousands.

There is no other choice than a Nexus 4 for that price range. I don't think anyone is debating this?

SimleuqiR

I still think glass back on phones is the dumbest design choice we had this decade. Sure, it looks nice, but it's heavy and breaks by itself.

Plastic/Carbon Fiber backs all the way, baby!

Just keep Samsung shitty plastic bodies from the Nexus line, or at the very least their designs.

I would be more than happy with a similar built a la Nexus 7

Bboy AJ

The sexiness of the HTC One is worth thousands.

[spoier]There is no other choice than a Nexus 4 for that price range. I don't think anyone is debating this?[/spoiler]

Just wondering. I feel like a shill telling everyone I know to get this phone. But seriously, there's no comparison. When you factor in price, it's not even close. Any phone.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Just keep Samsung shitty plastic bodies from the Nexus line, or at the very least their designs.

I would be more than happy with a similar built a la Nexus 7

Oh, sure. A decent design is much better than whatever Samsung has come up with.

I just think that the "plastic is a bad decision, gimme glass!" notion is crazy.

Top Bottom