• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Customer service agreed to a refund. Going to get the gf an iPhone 5 while I keep my currently working N4 until it falls apart in a few weeks.

moniker

Yesterday I flashed the franco kernel and the difference in battery use over night is incredible. The battery curve is almost flat now. Fingers crossed, this may fix my biggest gripe with the phone coming from iPhone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If you haven't used franco kernel app to change the N4's color, do it now. The screen is SO MUCH MORE vibrant. Best change I've done to my N4. Seriously.

Groof

If you haven't used franco kernel app to change the N4's color, do it now. The screen is SO MUCH MORE vibrant. Best change I've done to my N4. Seriously.

You think I should install the kernel itself or just get the display adjustment app itself? Currently running kernel-less, so to speak.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You think I should install the kernel itself or just get the display adjustment app itself? Currently running kernel-less, so to speak.

I don't know if you can adjust the color without the kernel. See what the app says in the Play Store. Whatever it takes, it's worth it. Use the color adjustment for a day or two then try to go back. It looks anemic.

Groof

I don't know if you can adjust the color without the kernel. See what the app says in the Play Store. Whatever it takes, it's worth it. Use the color adjustment for a day or two then try to go back. It looks anemic.

It works without the kernel, but they're both (display adjuster and kernel updater) pretty pricey apps, but people have been praising the kernel quite a bit so I thought it might be worth spending the extra cash on getting the full package. I was always afraid it might interfere with OTA updates though, I keep forgetting how that works.

You need to be rooted to adjust the RGB, but you'll need to have Franco kernel to adjust the gamma/brightness/contrast controls.

PriitV

Having used franco's Kernel for a while I saw no reason to keep waiting with the app purchase, well worth the money, if you have enjoyed his work.

Groof

You need to be rooted to adjust the RGB, but you'll need to have Franco kernel to adjust the gamma/brightness/contrast controls.

Yeah, I'm already rooted. Might just bite on the kernel updater app, then, if it brings that much better battery life.

Though I'd still like to know the deal with OTA updates and kernels. Can I just apply the OTA over the custom kernel or do I need to reflash the stock kernel?

moniker

Which color profile do you use? I use franco_my_profile which does make it look better but I find that the screen is a tad too dark now with auto brightness on. Is it possible to boost the auto brightness somehow? On iPhone you can set the brightness even when auto brightness is on but that doesn't seem possible on default Android.

I'm now at 15h 24min on battery at 91% percent (though it's been in deep sleep most of the time of course). But still, before it ate like 2% an hour when idle. Crazy improvement.

Groof

Bought the app. Colour settings sure make it feel more vibrant, but still haven't found one I really like.

Yeah, I'm already rooted. Might just bite on the kernel updater app, then, if it brings that much better battery life.

Though I'd still like to know the deal with OTA updates and kernels. Can I just apply the OTA over the custom kernel or do I need to reflash the stock kernel?

If you flash Franco kernel you'll need to reflash the stock kernel, as well as make a few edits to the powerhal file, to get OTA updates again.

moka

Downloaded AVG AntiVirus Free and I'm running the first scan right now. Hope it doesn't eat my battery.

Edit: Wow, this app is brilliant. It has this anti-theft feature. Once activated, you can go on their website, sign in and send an alarm to your device, wipe your device, locate your device and lock your device and it actually works as well.

The location feature is really useful and is insanely accurate. Get this app.

Shambles

Downloaded AVG AntiVirus Free and I'm running the first scan right now. Hope it doesn't eat my battery.

Edit: Wow, this app is brilliant. It has this anti-theft feature. Once activated, you can go on their website, sign in and send an alarm to your device, wipe your device, locate your device and lock your device and it actually works as well.

The location feature is really useful and is insanely accurate. Get this app.

By the time you've done that they've already factory reset your device. The only useful security apps are the ones that integrate themselves into the kernal so they survive a reset.

And anti virus on phone lol. the only virus control you need I'd a grain of common sense. You'll be fine on your own.

Toge

By the time you've done that they've already factory reset your device. The only useful security apps are the ones that integrate themselves into the kernal so they survive a reset.

And anti virus on phone lol. the only virus control you need I'd a grain of common sense. You'll be fine on your own.
Like Cerberus? (No link, I'm on mobile site, sorry)

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Grabbed a S4. Ugh. The thing is shittier compared to the N4 and that's saying a lot. The screen is god awful and keyboard is dreadful. Touchwiz is so laggy and Gingerbreadish.

Bboy AJ

Grabbed a S4. Ugh. The thing is shittier compared to the N4 and that's saying a lot. The screen is god awful and keyboard is dreadful. Touchwiz is so laggy and Gingerbreadish.

Downgrade total. I love my N4. I think it'll be like my N1. I'll keep it for a few years. Unless the next N4 is that much better and just as cheap. We'll see. It's mostly software that keeps things going.

CronoShot

So I'm looking to buy a N4 from the Google Play store, mainly out of sheer curiosity since I have no experience with Android. But if I did decide to port my number, would there be any problems switching from an iPhone 5 on AT&T?

Shambles

Like Cerberus? (No link, I'm on mobile site, sorry)
That's the one I used. I was quite impressed with it. My lifestyle doesn't leave my phone open for theft much so I didn't buy it but they give you a full featured trial of it. I don't know if there is a better app out there but I know that cerberus is quite good.

Question for folks who have used Nexus 4 and Galaxy S3... which one is more easier to use? For a non-techy person. I know I'm asking this in the Nexus 4 thread but I wasn't sure where else to pose this question. Any advice is appreciated.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Downgrade total. I love my N4. I think it'll be like my N1. I'll keep it for a few years. Unless the next N4 is that much better and just as cheap. We'll see. It's mostly software that keeps things going.

The software is the N4s biggest feature in my opinion. Touchwiz felt so sluggish compared to the N4. Both were 4.2.2 stock.

moka

Hm, that's true.

I like stock Android though haha. I guess I'll just try and be careful with my phone.

Shambles

Hm, that's true.

I like stock Android though haha. I guess I'll just try and be careful with my phone.

Even if it's just for kicks give Cerberus a try during their trial period. You can test everything like GPS tracking, accessing the camera remotely, remotely taking screenshots and all the fun alarms and lockouts. If you constantly have your phone out in public places it might be worth the $7 or whatever it is they charge you, but if you're going to use it I'd suggest loading into the kernal.

I think the best phone theft stories are the ones where people have cloud-sync enabled on their phone and the thiefs photos keep getting posted on the owners cloud account. It's nice when criminal douche bags create and send you incriminating evidence.

moka

Even if it's just for kicks give Cerberus a try during their trial period. You can test everything like GPS tracking, accessing the camera remotely, remotely taking screenshots and all the fun alarms and lockouts. If you constantly have your phone out in public places it might be worth the $7 or whatever it is they charge you, but if you're going to use it I'd suggest loading into the kernal.

I think the best phone theft stories are the ones where people have cloud-sync enabled on their phone and the thiefs photos keep getting posted on the owners cloud account. It's nice when criminal douche bags create and send you incriminating evidence.

Well, I do sync photos on my phone to my Dropbox account. I can imagine how awkward this would be for a thief.

Husker86

Do any custom ROMs have a different bluetooth stack that supports MAP (Message Access Protocol)? My Ford Touch in my truck says my phone isn't supported for messaging integration (but music and such works). Song names don't show up either.

Not a huge deal since I at least have music, but I am kinda curious how messaging integration works.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
As awful luck as I have with these things I still can't stress enough how smooth and quick stock OS is. Battery life is pretty decent too. Tried an S4 for a day and all I can say is never again.

Pctx

Banned
I'm so fucking depressed about this. I'm so tired of having to redo the setup up process every couple of weeks.

I'm trying to get my money back right now. Hopefully Google can understand that after 8 is enough.

You never ran custom ROMs before huh? I did that with my Skyrocket, never did a backup of anything since there are always issues with restores.

derder

Do any custom ROMs have a different bluetooth stack that supports MAP (Message Access Protocol)? My Ford Touch in my truck says my phone isn't supported for messaging integration (but music and such works). Song names don't show up either.

Not a huge deal since I at least have music, but I am kinda curious how messaging integration works.

Let me know if you figure this out.

Pctx

Banned
I just need a new micro sim from tmobile. I cut my previous one down to a nano for my iphone 5, and the adapter I have doesn't work.

They should give you a free one as I swapped my regular AT&T sim for a Micro Sim with no charge.

skybaby

Let me know if you figure this out.

No and it seems it's not on google's plan. Someone ported the stack to android 2.3 and it used to work with a few cars, but google didn't merge with android and the person dropped the project. It's too bad :(

edit:something else google gives no attention: usb audio
http://code.google.com/p/android/is...ap&colspec=ID Type Status Owner Summary Stars

drizzle

Axel Hertz
No and it seems it's not on google's plan. Someone ported the stack to android 2.3 and it used to work with a few cars, but google didn't merge with android and the person dropped the project. It's too bad :(

edit:something else google gives no attention: usb audio
http://code.google.com/p/android/is...ap&colspec=ID Type Status Owner Summary Stars

I don't know what is up with Google on the Nexus 4 and Android in general this time around: No OTG USB support on the Nexus ("Try bluetooth instead!" is their general line when questioned), removing a shitload of things from the Bluetooth Stack (Wiimotes no longer work on Android, now this car thing), lack of SD Card on the Nexus 4...

Really shitty decisions.

I really like the irony of how they tell you to try Bluetooth alternatives, but apparently their Bluetooth implementation is all fucked up.

Edit: also, get an Avatar for god's sake.

sarcastor

So I'm looking to buy a N4 from the Google Play store, mainly out of sheer curiosity since I have no experience with Android. But if I did decide to port my number, would there be any problems switching from an iPhone 5 on AT&T?

you should maybe wait until after Google's I/O conference next week to see if there will be a bump in storage space?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
you should maybe wait until after Google's I/O conference next week to see if there will be a bump in storage space?

Yes. If you have the option of buying the phone directly from Google (some do not, like me for instance), I'd wait for google I/O.

Between the rumours of a new batch of Nexus 4 (16 and 32 gigs of internal storage as opposed to 8 and 16), rumours of a new Nexus 4 model with 4G support, rumours of the fabled Motorola X and rumours about a LG-Built Nexus 5, I'd definitely wait.

Renji_11

Has anybody ever gotten Google Wallet to work at any store terminal? I though pay pass is suppose to work but I get an error at every store I've tried.

Picked up a Ringke Fusion, just wondering if I've got it on properly because the rear of the phone only makes contact with a small patch in the centre.

I've got the n4 with the bumps on the back if that makes a difference.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Picked up a Ringke Fusion, just wondering if I've got it on properly because the rear of the phone only makes contact with a small patch in the centre.

I've got the n4 with the bumps on the back if that makes a difference.

Mine touches a part near the camera. As long as it's securely in the case and your buttons aren't squeaking or too difficult to press I wouldn't worry about it.

Groof

Yo ever since I installed franco's kernel I've been getting similar or worse battery life than stock. What settings are you guys using that get better battery life? I haven't changed any setting except display settings and turned on faster USB charging.

Shagwell

For the past month or so whenever anyone sends me a text that is too long to fit the character limit for one text, one that needs to get cut up into different parts, I only receive the last part and everything leading up to it never makes it to me. It's incredibly frustrating.

Oh, yeah, and my Youtube app can't open.

Happened to anyone else? What do I do? People are getting annoyed with me always asking to resend their texts haha

danootz

Has anybody ever gotten Google Wallet to work at any store terminal? I though pay pass is suppose to work but I get an error at every store I've tried.

Used it at Rite Aid, and McDonalds like 5 times or so with no issue.
But today was the first time it didn't work when I went to Rite Aid.
I blame having left the Wi-Fi antenna on and the phone detecting a network. Every other time I just had mobile data on.

I've notice when listening to Rdio, it would occasionally flake out when a wi-fi access point was detected. It's like the phone goes "Ooh ooh, wifi!" and drops using mobile data for seconds but then gets confused when it can't connect. Rdio tries to call home for DRM purposes (I imagine)

I think the same hiccup happened today with Wallet.

osknoes

I'm quite interested in this phone. What's the general consensus ? Is it good ? I see some people has many complaints about it.

Top Bottom