• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm quite interested in this phone. What's the general consensus ? Is it good ? I see some people has many complaints about it.

Best value. Wait a week to see if storage gets upgraded.

Matugi

Any chance at all of this ever being usable on Verizon, or does Verizon not use the right network? I'm on my parent's data plan for at least the next 4 years.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any chance at all of this ever being usable on Verizon, or does Verizon not use the right network? I'm on my parent's data plan for at least the next 4 years.

No.

calza

I'm quite interested in this phone. What's the general consensus ? Is it good ? I see some people has many complaints about it.

Wait a couple of weeks to see if anything gets announced at I/O.

I do really like my Nexus 4. Its a cracking device but it isn't cutting edge technology.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's cutting edge technology from a software and OS standpoint IMO.

Well the Galaxy S4 is running the same Android version so the Nexus 4 is not the cutting edge from the OS standpoint. Moreover the S4 has all those features that Samsung added on; even if you think Touchwiz is gimmicky, you've got to admit that Multiwindow support is the cutting edge of smartphone software right now.

Of course that could all change next week after I/O.

Well the Galaxy S4 is running the same Android version so the Nexus 4 is not the cutting edge from the OS standpoint. Moreover the S4 has all those features that Samsung added on; even if you think Touchwiz is gimmicky, you've got to admit that Multiwindow support is the cutting edge of smartphone software right now.

Of course that could all change next week after I/O.

Multi window support isn't worth taking a major downgrade in almost every other department.

Blackhead

Redarse
Multi window support isn't worth taking a major downgrade in almost every other department.

Huh? The only downgrade right now is Touchwiz UX compared to stock Holo UX (which I personally consider a dealbreaking downgrade but others beg to differ) as after all the S4 is running Android 4.2.2 which is the same Android version the Nexus 4 is running.

jokkir

How much screen on time are you getting usually with your Nexus 4 and are you using any battery saving apps? I might get a Nexus 4 soon but the non-removable battery is really driving me away from it.

Also, how is your daily usage like? Music, internet, etc

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
How much screen on time are you getting usually with your Nexus 4 and are you using any battery saving apps? I might get a Nexus 4 soon but the non-removable battery is really driving me away from it.

2 hours of Reddit, 1 hour of Chrome, 1 hour of YouTube, lots of texts gave me 6 hours and 3 minutes on Wifi.

Generally with 2 hours of Chrome on wifi and over an hour of Reddit I get between 4½ and 5 hours of screen time.

The battery isn't the beat but it's not as horrible as everyone says. If you constantly get full signal you should be fine.

You can also install a custom kernal but all my results are stock 4.2.2.

Pctx

Banned

Over under is about 3 - 3.5 hrs of screen time with bluetooth streaming, wifi, browsing and streaming music.

DSN2K

bad times...dropped my Nexus 4 and now the bottom half of the display has lost all touch, only way I could use the softkeys was the force rotate the system...guessing Google wont replace my phone ?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
bad times...dropped my Nexus 4 and now the bottom half display has lost all touch, only way I could use the softkeys was the force rotate the system...guessing Google wont replace my phone ?

Are there any physical signs of a drop? Broken glass, damage?

Question for folks who have used Nexus 4 and Galaxy S3... which one is more easier to use? For a non-techy person. I know I'm asking this in the Nexus 4 thread but I wasn't sure where else to pose this question. Any advice is appreciated.

Nexus 4 is easier out of the box because Google doesn't stuff as many bloat apps and widgets on the home screens. Samsung probably puts too many shortcuts on their quick settings page and the colors they chose probably don't make it easy on the casual's eyes. So if you have someone unaware because this is their first phone or they're too lazy to figure out how to change things to their liking, then I'd go with the nexus. The S4 is a better choice than S3 for color. Touchwiz is just a garish interface honestly.

Hydrargyrus

I want to buy a Nexus 4. I know that I should wait, at least, untill tomorrow (Google I/O) because it's suposed to be a Nexus 4 improvement, but I don't know what to do.

I don't know how much I should wait, buy Nexus 4 or wait until an hypothetical Nexus 5 in the second half of this year... (hope it will cost around 300€)

I like the new Sony Xperia SP, but the nexus 4 looks better and cheaper.

JordanKZ

I want to buy a Nexus 4. I know that I should wait, at least, untill tomorrow (Google I/O) because it's suposed to be a Nexus 4 improvement, but I don't know what to do.

I don't know what to do, buy Nexus 4 or wait until an hypothetical Nexus 5 in the second half of this year...

I like the new Sony Xperia SP, but the nexus 4 looks better and cheaper...

1: Do wait till tomorrow. There's rumours of expanded storage, colours, heck even LTE rumours.

2: There will be a new Nexus phone at the end of the year. It's almost certain at this point.

3: When it comes to phones, you literally cannot win. Upgrades come thick and fast.

Hydrargyrus

1: Do wait till tomorrow. There's rumours of expanded storage, colours, heck even LTE rumours.

2: There will be a new Nexus phone at the end of the year. It's almost certain at this point.

3: When it comes to phones, you literally cannot win. Upgrades come thick and fast.

Yep. I hate that feeling when I buy a phone and, at that time, I know that if I would have waited a little, I could have bought a better phone...

I don't have any rush. All I know is that I want an Android phone (iOS is pretty much unaffordable) and, between those, I rather prefer, in this order, Google > Sony > the rest.

Looking the specs/price, google is unrivalled and I hope they will go that way with Nexus 5

Pctx

Banned

I don't know how much I should wait, buy Nexus 4 or wait until an hypothetical Nexus 5 in the second half of this year... (hope it will cost around 300€)

I like the new Sony Xperia SP, but the nexus 4 looks better and cheaper.

Wait til after tomorrow and then order after the new news comes out. Nexus 4 really is a brilliant phone.

sarcastor

I don't know how much I should wait, buy Nexus 4 or wait until an hypothetical Nexus 5 in the second half of this year... (hope it will cost around 300€).

buy whatever nexus 4 phone Google announces tomorrow. when the nexus 5 comes out, sell your 4 and then buy a 5. problem solved :)

My samsung galaxy is getting old and i want to upgrade too. but 16gb is not enough. So hopefully there will be a 32gb Nexus 4 > Galaxy S3. i'll just need to get an external battery charger I guess

Blargh, there's a revision tomorrow?

I just got mine last month and have been having trouble with the build quality, so they are sending me another one (should arrive today). Sad I'm missing out on a full revision, especially if it has LTE. =|

Pctx

Banned
Blargh, there's a revision tomorrow?

I just got mine last month and have been having trouble with the build quality, so they are sending me another one (should arrive today). Sad I'm missing out on a full revision, especially if it has LTE. =|

Having been without LTE for a month, I do not miss it. Right now AT&T LTE sucks your battery like a mother f*cker and quite frankly, I'm aOK with 4-12 Mbps/down for 3.5 hrs of screentime and 18-25 hrs of battery life with this sucker.

/grass isn't always greener

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Having been without LTE for a month, I do not miss it. Right now AT&T LTE sucks your battery like a mother f*cker and quite frankly, I'm aOK with 4-12 Mbps/down for 3.5 hrs of screentime and 18-25 hrs of battery life with this sucker.

I have an Nexus 4 and i made that purchase 2 months ago. I was going in fully knowing about the lack of LTE and 1080p screen on the phone - things I don't think are worth it.

LTE, not only it's a battery killer, I don't have coverage for it in my country. 1080p is also useless on a phone, and it's only purpose is to drain the battery faster.

The fact that the Nexus 4 has no contract and it's a 350 phone is really a no-brainer. Buy it, use it, break it, buy a new one next year.

Pctx

Banned
I have an Nexus 4 and i made that purchase 2 months ago. I was going in fully knowing about the lack of LTE and 1080p screen on the phone - things I don't think are worth it.

LTE, not only it's a battery killer, I don't have coverage for it in my country. 1080p is also useless on a phone, and it's only purpose is to drain the battery faster.

The fact that the Nexus 4 has no contract and it's a 350 phone is really a no-brainer. Buy it, use it, break it, buy a new one next year.

listen to this man.

Mrcapcom

Coming from Verizon LTE I can say I don't miss it either. LTE is awesome and super fast but im content with HSPA+ Works great don't even notice the lack of LTE

Pctx

Banned
Coming from Verizon LTE I can say I don't miss it either. LTE is awesome and super fast but im content with HSPA+ Works great don't even notice the lack of LTE

Also, I'm considering switching from AT&T to T-mobile now that their coverage is as good if not better than AT&T's in my neck of the woods and I'll get HSPA+ up to 42MB/sec downward. Right now the issue with AT&T is that they do not properly ID the Nexus 4 so you get stuck at the punny 4-12 MB/sec downstream.

freshair

Been using an S2 because I'm too lazy to fork over $160 to get my N4 replaced, and man do I miss the speed and fluidity of the N4.

1GB of ram isn't usable because when I return to an app, it reloads itself :(

Though I will miss this camera though once I return back.

kharma45

That white N4 looks like arse just like the white Nexus S did. I don't understand why they can't make the whole device white rather than just the back of it.

Bboy AJ

That white N4 looks like arse just like the white Nexus S did. I don't understand why they can't make the whole device white rather than just the back of it.

White bezels are ugly. I must be in the minority on this.

Top Bottom