• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Yeah, I wouldn't touch a Sony phone again, and that kinda sucks considering how enthusiastic I used to be about it. It started off nicely, then had a few slowdowns with ICS, now JB is hardly better and full of bugs. They clearly rushed the release out to shut everyone up and have no intention of supporting it further. Flagship my ass! Terrible company. Felt so nice to put that sucker in the mailbox this afternoon.

I had the Xperia Arc. Not sure what went wrong, but after 6 months the battery kept on depleting on it's own. I tried half a dozen new batteries, even a 2500 mAh battery would not last more than 8 hours on standby. Culprit was android system. Rooted and removed all garbage apps, still no luck.

The weirdest thing is that half the system RAM just vanished. From 768 mb originally, it only shows 360 mb total RAM. :/ Lags like a bitch...

Assuming the next Nexus phone comes out around the same time that the N4 did last year, will everyone upgrade to it right away?

I've done some number crunching, and with my current $50 monthly plan, I could buy a new phone every single year (assuming Google maintains a similar price point) and still be paying less than folks on two-year contracts. Quite a bit less, actually.

meow

Anyone order a 16gb white Nexus 4 in the US that actually shipped and get a "Return to Sender Requested" update in their UPS tracking info? The 16gb white Nexus 4 shows up as unavailable in the Google Play store now too.
Yep I did, and it looks like other people have also. I got an email back from them saying:

"A small number of customers were sent a ship confirmation with an incorrect tracking number on 5/31 and 6/3. In these cases the incorrect tracking number may indicate that the package is being returned to sender.
Please disregard this tracking number. Another ship confirmation with the correct tracking number will be emailed to you within 24 hrs. "

Maybe I just don't understand UPS or something but sounds like bs to me. My guess is they managed to screw up the orders somehow.

Toge

I feel like I'm missing out on apps, pretty much all of my friends have IOS and android so I feel like I'm getting the shaft when it comes to app selection.
I think most apps are coming to wp8 in some shape or down - I really like wp8. I just prefer the power I have with android

OmegaFax

Yep I did, and it looks like other people have also. I got an email back from them saying:

"A small number of customers were sent a ship confirmation with an incorrect tracking number on 5/31 and 6/3. In these cases the incorrect tracking number may indicate that the package is being returned to sender.
Please disregard this tracking number. Another ship confirmation with the correct tracking number will be emailed to you within 24 hrs. "

Maybe I just don't understand UPS or something but sounds like bs to me. My guess is they managed to screw up the orders somehow.

I didn't even get an e-mail. I called twice yesterday and told them they requested a return to sender intercept and they still haven't gotten back with me.

This is kind of odd, but today I noticed my battery draining way faster than normal on my Nexus 4. I checked the battery info and the very top is "keystore" using 49%. When I click on it, all I see is "CPU total 2h 16m 25s", so I don't get much information. I Googled this issue but I found absolutely nothing on keystore using a significant amount of battery.

Should I just keep monitoring it over the next week or so and see what happens, or has anyone run into this type of issue and have any suggestions? This hasn't been an issue before and I don't think I made any changes yesterday that would have caused this.

Renoir

just opened mine..
i cant help it.. i have this gigantic grin on my face.
It so much lighter than my rezound yet the screen is bigger.
even though bout my old phone and nexus 4 have 720 p the nexus is look so crispity..
im exite.

btw is it still necessary to leave your phone to die once, so the battery don't make a memory of it self half full??

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This is kind of odd, but today I noticed my battery draining way faster than normal on my Nexus 4. I checked the battery info and the very top is "keystore" using 49%. When I click on it, all I see is "CPU total 2h 16m 25s", so I don't get much information. I Googled this issue but I found absolutely nothing on keystore using a significant amount of battery.

Should I just keep monitoring it over the next week or so and see what happens, or has anyone run into this type of issue and have any suggestions? This hasn't been an issue before and I don't think I made any changes yesterday that would have caused this.
Try Better Battery Stats.

H2Yo

Hey guys, maybe you can help me with this?

Sometimes when I put my phone down on a table after using it, it will make a certain chime.

Dooo-diddle-doo.

Thing is, I cannot replicate it all the time. I'm not exactly sure what I'm being notifying me of.

Any ideas?

zedge

Sometimes when I put my phone down on a table after using it, it will make a certain chime.

Dooo-diddle-doo.

Thing is, I cannot replicate it all the time. I'm not exactly sure what I'm being notifying me of.

Any ideas?

No idea but you made me lol. :D

Husker86

Dooo-diddle-doo.

Any ideas?

That sounds like the sound I hear when I put my phone on my Qi charging pad. Maybe where you're setting it mimics some sort of magnetic signal that wireless charging does.

zbeeb

Dooo-diddle-doo.

Any ideas?

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME THING AND HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR WEEKS TO FIGURE IT OUT!

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Dooo-diddle-doo.

Any ideas?

Is it the NFC noise?

If I turn NFC on and put the phone near my wallet (with the bus card in it), it'll "beep boop beep"

snack

Hey guys, I got a few questions about the Chrome Browser on Android. Is there a quicker way to go back/forward a page when browsing? Also, is it possible to access the history with the Chrome browser? I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Shambles

Hey guys, I got a few questions about the Chrome Browser on Android. Is there a quicker way to go back/forward a page when browsing? Also, is it possible to access the history with the Chrome browser? I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Just hit the normal back button on the bottom left. To go forward you have to go to the three dots. Unless there's some add-on that lets you keep those buttons on top

Sometimes I sit in bed and watch TVCatchup but the back/home/whatever buttons stay lit when full screened.

Are there any apps or settings that can force them to auto hide?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

Back button on the bottom left of the screen to go back and in the top right corner press the 3 square settings button and the forward arrow to go forward.

For history in chrome. Type chrome://history into the omnibox.

Sometimes I sit in bed and watch TVCatchup but the back/home/whatever buttons stay lit when full screened.

Are there any apps or settings that can force them to auto hide?

I guess it depends on the app. Some apps keep the on screen buttons visible until you tap the screen and they go away. Contact the Dev and let them know so a future version has that ability.

Nothing in the settings?

meow

Never mind -- I think the vibrate when typing option was making my keyboard inputs laggy. I turned it off and it's so much better.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Got my replacement N4. It has two dimples on the back. Nice.

PGamer

fucking juniors
I got a Nexus 4 recently and I've found that it rattles a bit when I move it. Is this normal and is there any reason for me to try to do anything about it?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I got a Nexus 4 recently and I've found that it rattles a bit when I move it. Is this normal and is there any reason for me to try to do anything about it?

Hold your phone with your left hand by the bottom. With your right had tap the back of the phone near the camera. What you hear is very common. It's the auto focus mechanism.

Beowulf28

So last week I ordered a 16GB nexus 4 and it arrived on Thursday but instead of a 16GB they had sent me an 8GB. I called customer support and they told me they had accidentally sent me both models and that my 16GB would arrive on Friday (which it did). Now here's my dilemma, the customer support guy I talked to said he'd pass up the issue to another department so I can resend the 8GB but when I got the email from them they didn't seem aware of why I wanted to return the device, so if I kept/sold the extra phone could Google do anything to me?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Why does the "Auto-Sync Data" button keep un-checking itself? I got the phone yesterday and this is driving me nuts.

Edit: Screen rotate keeps turning itself on as well.

Husker86

So last week I ordered a 16GB nexus 4 and it arrived on Thursday but instead of a 16GB they had sent me an 8GB. I called customer support and they told me they had accidentally sent me both models and that my 16GB would arrive on Friday (which it did). Now here's my dilemma, the customer support guy I talked to said he'd pass up the issue to another department so I can resend the 8GB but when I got the email from them they didn't seem aware of why I wanted to return the device, so if I kept/sold the extra phone could Google do anything to me?

Of course they could. Who knows if they would, but just send it back. Now if they give you a refund when you send back the 8GB, then they've just blew off your good will so keep that shit.

Revoh

Right after taking a dump I dropped my N4 in the toilet!
Luckily I flushed the toiled first.
I made a call right away to test it and it sounded like shit (no pun intended)
I will turn it off and wait a few hours. I don't know what else could I do besides blowing air with a hair dryer.

Is my phone going to be useless now? :(

PriitV

Right after taking a dump I dropped my N4 in the toilet!
Luckily I flushed the toiled first.
I made a call right away to test it and it sounded like shit (no pun intended)
I will turn it off and wait a few hours. I don't know what else could I do besides blowing air with a hair dryer.

Is my phone going to be useless now? :(

Rice

Rumors were floating around that 4.3 would be releasing on or around June 10th. It was never confirmed officially so I wouldn't put much stock in it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Ended up losing my iPhone 4S in a cab drunk Sunday night. Oops- picked up a Nexus 4 Monday. So smooth, phone is amazing. Finally a great Android experience. Did some screen adjustment with the Franco display thing, now it's perfect. Well pleased - and it was so cheap.

Nicktendo86

Ended up losing my iPhone 4S in a cab drunk Sunday night. Oops- picked up a Nexus 4 Monday. So smooth, phone is amazing. Finally a great Android experience. Did some screen adjustment with the Franco display thing, now it's perfect. Well pleased - and it was so cheap.
Does.the Franco thing work with non rooted devices?

Bboy AJ

Does.the Franco thing work with non rooted devices?

No. Just root it. I never quite understood the hesitance. I've literally never run my Nexus devices without root. And by literally, I mean literally. First thing I do is root it before it ever gets booted to system.

Top Bottom