• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Nicktendo86

Thanks, thought so. I've got a rooted gnexus and run cm on it, was just wondering of Franco did a non root thing for gamma control. Thanks all.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Thanks, thought so. I've got a rooted gnexus and run cm on it, was just wondering of Franco did a non root thing for gamma control. Thanks all.

Huge difference in color. I mean huge. I'm surprised it isn't the stock calibration.

JonnyBrad

No. Just root it. I never quite understood the hesitance. I've literally never run my Nexus devices without root. And by literally, I mean literally. First thing I do is root it before it ever gets booted to system.

I use sky go in the UK which is a bastard for root detection. Honestly the N4 doesn't have many probs for me stock so happy with it unrooted.

DrFurbs

What's the best custom ROM that's small on useless features but great on optimising the OS (and includes the Franco kernel)?

Cigol

I use sky go in the UK which is a bastard for root detection. Honestly the N4 doesn't have many probs for me stock so happy with it unrooted.
Barclays banking (which uses the app for authentication on the internet) is another for me. There's other apps that require you to stay unrooted as well so it's not as obvious a choice for everyone.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I figured if i got a N4 and didn't at least try a different ROM (or at least root) I was doing it wrong.

Using LiquidSmooth 2.5... I think.. at the moment and it's just amazing. Battery life is insane. 23 hours so far, still at 31% with some pretty decent use out of it. Completely paranoid about that back panel, have ordered a dBrand carbon fibre skin thing. Pretty cheap.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Was playing with my dog by the lake, he went in and I slipped on algae submerging myself head to toe. Nexus 4 was in my pocket.

It's in a bag of rice right now:-(

I have not had good luck with these phones haha. Back to my Optimus One again:'(

Nicktendo86

Was playing with my dog by the lake, he went in and I slipped on algae submerging myself head to toe. Nexus 4 was in my pocket.

It's in a bag of rice right now:-(

I have not had good luck with these phones haha. Back to my Optimus One again:'(
My god liquidus, did you run over larry page's dog or something? You have the worst luck with the nexus 4, I'm not even sure if Incan believe it anymore lol

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Haha, yeah.

When I fell in it was for about 5-10 seconds. I quickly pressed the power button and turned it off.

No one to blame but myself on this one.

Worst case scenario is selling it on eBay for parts/water damage. Maybe I can get $100 for it. Oh well.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
So you're getting a Galaxy S4 Active next, right? It has an LCD!

Haha. It's still Samsung and still Touchwiz.

Maybe I'll get a Sony Xperia Z GE.

Edit-I think might have good news:

The two white squares are water damage indicators. The third one can be seen through the sim slot. If exposed to water they turn red/pink.
j8d3bTo.jpg

Said fuck it. I know my warranty is up so might as well take it apart. It was so so simple to take the back off. Two screws, some finger nail around the edges.

There was a bit of water inside.

To my surprise the two dots should be red if there was water damage correct?

Edit 2- turns out one of three water damage indicators is in the sim slot. Mine is red. Oh well. We'll see on Saturday after 2 days in rice.

Edit 3- field stripped the phone completely. I can't believe how easily repairable this phone is. Everything is easily accessible. I took out the motherboard and daughterboards. I found a miniscule drop of water by the vibration motor. Other than that the phone was completely dry inside.

I'm going to put the back on tomorrow and turn it on.

Hopefully everything will work. If not parts are easily replaceable.

Edit 4- everything works. Everything. I'll take it apart now and leave it in the rice for longer. I'll periodically open it up to check for corrosion but it seems okay. Yay.

Edit 5- placed the phone pieces into a plastic bag filled with desiccants I found laying around the house. I'm going to swab a few pieces with iso alcohol and gentlely use compressed air to get the dust and small rice particles off.

Edit 6- it's completely back together. Everything works thankfully.

Groof

I've got these darkish colours near the edges of my display (next to the bezels), maybe 0.5cm thick on both sides. What is this and does anyone else have them?
If anyone wants I'll try to photo them.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Does anyone know of any good N4 Cases/pouches?

I was looking at the Flexishield, but want GAF's ideas.

I still stand by the Rearth Ringke Fusion Hybrid case. Feels great, looks great, works well. Only down side is that buttons aren't too good.

I'm pretty sure that after my N4 took a swim there would've been more water inside if it wasn't for that case.

The rear, clear plastic is pretty durable.

Groof

Does anyone know of any good N4 Cases/pouches?

I was looking at the Flexishield, but want GAF's ideas.
Haven't tried the Ringke Fusion but I use the Ringke slim and I love it. The white one looks so great on the phone, too bad it covers up the back.

Nicktendo86

Here's that thing I was talking about earlier. Not the best shot, but it'll have to do for now since this is the only one shot I got where it was visible.
Yeah that's really odd, almost like the glue separating the in cell touch thing is loosening? I have zero tech knowledge on this though but that's what it looks like to me.

Groof

Yeah that's really odd, almost like the glue separating the in cell touch thing is loosening? I have zero tech knowledge on this though but that's what it looks like to me.

Hmm, might be. It's weird though because when unlocking the phone is when it's the most visible and then sort of fades away. I also get this pseudo burn-in type deal where, usually, white fonts and icons remain, faded, on the screen for a while. Might the digitizer be faulty or something?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Definitely have that fixed.

To me it kind of looks like the LCD was pressed down on from within some how. Never seen that before.

Groof

Damn. Guess I'll have to hit my provider up to see if I can get them to take a look at it. Still under warranty so it shouldn't be a problem.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Got my hopes up only for them to be crushed by the Nexus overlords. The mic doesn't work properly.

If anyone wants a water damaged Nexus 4 16GB for $150 or best offer let me know. I'll ship anywhere to North America excluding Alaska and Hawaii.

It's up on eBay and Kijiji too.

Everything works except the mics.

GAF discount of free tracked shipping.

Edit- Sold on eBay for $135.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Bro, you sold it already? Come on, I would have bought it.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Bro, you sold it already? Come on, I would have bought it.

Haha you still might have a chance.

I swear to god. Maybe I'm getting too old.

I put the listing up on eBay and it was sold within a couple of hours. Fucking eBay decided to use my old email address associated with my PayPal that had been removed 5 years ago. That email address isn't listed anywhere on eBay or PayPal. Obviously there's no mention of this when using the eBay mobile app.

So right now my payment is stuck in limbo at an old Bell Sympatico email account that doesn't exist and can't be remade. Going to contact eBay and PayPal first thing in the morning.

I contacted the buyer and told him to cancel the payment as the email is invalid. But now I worry he's going to think it's a scam. Even if he does cancel I can't send him an invoice from PayPal because I don't know his email and PMs through eBay won't allow the exchange of emails for security reasons.

I'm seriously getting too old for this shit.

Anyways if this eBay fiasco falls apart the phone it is yours for $135 with free GAF tracked shipping. I have 100% feedback on eBay.

Here's a video of the said Nexus 4 in operation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q-MmSKziCo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Bboy AJ

Should have just sold on GAF to avoid that nonsense. We could even use Amazon payments or try out Gmail payments to avoid a transaction fee. Anyway, PM me if/when you're ready.

meow

I can't seem to install apps from sources other than the play store. (Yes, I have "Allow installation of apps from sources other than the Play Store" checked in my settings.) I can get to the download and click on it, but once I open the download, it doesn't let me tap "Install."
(here is a screenshot, the install button I'm talking about is on the bottom right).

It's almost as if the touchscreen is dead there, but I know it isn't because it works once I get out from that particular screen. The "Cancel" button to the left works. Anyone experience this?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
That's weird. I just installed it without issue. Might be a bad download?

As long as unknown sources is checked off you should be able to.

If you think that the screen might be dead go into Settings, Developer Options and check off Pointer Location and Show Touches.

To unlock Developer Options go into Settings, About Phone, scroll down to where it says Build Number and tap it 7 times fast.

Anyways I didn't know brick and mortar stores are now selling the N4 outright. They didn't even ask if I was an existing customer. This is how all phones should be sold. No more carrier locked bullshit please.

meow

That's weird. I just installed it without issue. Might be a bad download?

As long as unknown sources is checked off you should be able to.

If you think that the screen might be dead go into Settings, Developer Options and check off Pointer Location and Show Touches.

To unlock Developer Options go into Settings, About Phone, scroll down to where it says Build Number and tap it 7 times fast.

Anyways I didn't know brick and mortar stores are now selling the N4 outright. They didn't even ask if I was an existing customer. This is how all phones should be sold. No more carrier locked bullshit please.
This happened to me before too though, for an app I had to install to use my school wifi. I don't think it's the touchscreen because that area works on any other app/window/desktop etc. It's only on that Install button, SO WEIRD.

Thanks anyway though (and thanks for the developer settings cheat haha!)

NaviLink

Hello Nexus 4 owners. So I'm finally considering getting this after pushing it back for months. What are the things I should know about the phone that aren't necessarily in the reviews? I'm looking for real world experience and how the unit hold ups, if the performance is good, that kind of thing. Also, if there is a better alternative, as some people seem to be let down. Thanks!

Hello Nexus 4 owners. So I'm finally considering getting this after pushing it back for months. What are the things I should know about the phone that aren't necessarily in the reviews? I'm looking for real world experience and how the unit hold ups, if the performance is good, that kind of thing. Also, if there is a better alternative, as some people seem to be let down. Thanks!

there are phones with better hardware, but there are no better alternatives. nothing rivals the value proposition.

I'm in the same boat. Considering picking up a Nexus 4 and would love to hear some pros and cons from GAFers that have had the phone for months now, and their real-world usage and opinion (like how the performance/battery holds up after x months of use).

(I'm coming from a 2010 HTC Windows Phone, so I'll probably be blown away by what a 2012/2013ish phone hardware is like. WP7 on my HTC HD7 still runs very fast/smoothly in the core OS experience, but once you get to 3rd party app load times on startup, it becomes painful. On top of that MS has all but abandoned WP7, and features-wise, its seriously dated and missing key basic but essential features of smartphone OS's, like ahem orientation lock and a more modern mobile web browser, not even 3rd party apps can help there).

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Even with my bad luck with build quality issues (they've been ironed out) there is no phone that has a better value for the performance.

On all my phones I get at least 4:30 hours of screen time on heavy use. I've been averaging 5.5+ hours lately and that's on stock 4.2.2. Franco's Kernel improves battery life if you're into routing.

I love stock Android. I can't stand skins.

This phone is perfect for me.

Just ordered a 16Gb Nexus 4 along with a sim-only plan on Virgin Mobile that sounds too good to be true.

It's my first smartphone and my first new phone in 3 years, and I feel like a little kid on Christmas Day.

Renoir

Love and hate this phone.
Love thé féel. Love thé screen.
Hâte that m'y wifi is gimped.. My Swift key is stuck in franchement for Some reason... Why m'y backup cet whiped when I installation thé New rom..
:(

Top Bottom