• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Renoir

What's wrong with the WiFi?
x3ED1gt.png

This is my speed test right in front of my router.
Ive checked XDA apparently its a known issue i tried several fixes but no go.

and my cell connection always switches from 3g to H+ erratically.
Found out that's another common problem. something about the away time of the radios to save battery...

so yea, my old phone was ugly, heavy, but i didnt have connection issues.
Hoping for a fix. Or ill have to sell it and go with Xperia my runner up.

x3ED1gt.png

Found out that's another common problem. something about the away time of the radios to save battery...

Has the Nexus 4 always had these WiFi issues since launch? Or is it something that has come up recently?

zbeeb

*PIC*

I've had the same 3G/H constant changes and dropouts. RMA'd my previous N4 and the new one is the same... Waiting on 4.3 to see if it fixes things otherwise I might go elsewhere, its really frustrating, especially for IM apps like whatsapp

Renoir

so im guessing its really a soft ware issue.
I tried various roms. but no luck. did you try goin to 4.1? supposedly all this happened in 4.2

I have yet to tried to go to 4.1 i guess that's the next thing.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
That's weird.

I had 10 Nexus 4's and haven't experienced these issues. My gfs N4 switches on between 3G and HSPA sometimes but I assumed it was based on the the cellular signal and carrier.

In terms of Wifi I never had those issues either and I use my phone on Wifi 95% of the time.

I only use HSPA when I have to and use APNDroid to disable data when not in use.

Note that I only have a 6Mbs download and 1Mbs upload connection.

rallyart

Neo Member
Guys, I really need your advice, is this a good phone? can you recommend it?

Currently I have a Xperia u, but suddenly it´s starting to fail and lock up randomly, so my options are these:

- nexus 4 16gb for 400USD
- Xperia ZL for 650 USD
- HTC ONE for 700 USD

All brand new and unlocked.

Between all of them, I´ve read plenty of reviews, and from what I learn, nexus 4 is the best at performance/price ratio, but I´ve never had one in my hand, so I want to hear some impressions from owners.

Please guys, help me.

Price is a factor, so thanks.

Groof

Currently I have a Xperia u, but suddenly it´s starting to fail and lock up randomly, so my options are these:

- Xperia ZL for 650 USD
- HTC ONE for 700 USD

Between all of them, I´ve read plenty of reviews, and from what I learn, nexus 4 is the best at performance/price ratio, but I´ve never had one in my hand, so I want to hear some impressions from owners.

Please guys, help me.

Can absolutely recommend it. For the price it is absolutely unbeatable. I've had mine since December and it's still running as smooth as the day I got it. I've taken fairly good care of it, but not to the point of babying it and it's still in really good condition. Some minor scratches and scuffs, mostly along the plastic rim around it. Good feel in hand thanks to the soft touch plastic rim. The glass back can be real slippery, so you have to be careful about that, but newer revisions add tiny bumps on the back to keep it from sliding around too much.

Groof

Whenever I take pictures with Nexus 4 with HDR, it takes like 5 seconds for the screen to unfreeze. Am I the only one? How can I fix this?

How do you mean unfreeze? As in you can't press anything? HDR usually takes longer to snap a picture than regular because it snaps two shots and combines them.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

- Xperia ZL for 650 USD
- HTC ONE for 700 USD

Please guys, help me.

The value for the performance you get makes it a no contest. Nexus 4 gets my vote. I'd really like the Sony but my $338 (Tax included) N4 is too good of a deal to pass up.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Do you finally have a problem free nexus 4?

Since the nippled revision I've had zero issues. That was 3 Nexus' ago. 1 went to my gf, 1 went to me and the 3rd was sold as parts after I was dragged into a lake trying to control my 160 pound rottie.

Miutsu

Since the nippled revision I've had zero issues. That was 3 Nexus' ago. 1 went to my gf, 1 went to me and the 3rd was sold as parts after I was dragged into a lake trying to control my 160 pound rottie.

That's great that you were able to get something out of the damaged one :) I'm on a three weeks vacation in the US and ordered one the day I arrived, it came perfectly fine but I admit I was kinda afraid after reading your posts, I didn't have problems in case I had to return it but my time was limited here so I didn't want to deal with that being time constrained.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
That's great that you were able to get something out of the damaged one :) I'm on a three weeks vacation in the US and ordered one the day I arrived, it came perfectly fine but I admit I was kinda afraid after reading your posts, I didn't have problems in case I had to return it but my time was limited here so I didn't want to deal with that being time constrained.

Launch made hardware always has issues. The Xbox 360 is a prime example and in my case the Nexus 4. I would have easily switched to different hardware if it wasn't for the unbeatable value. That and the Google Play warranty is second to none. So happy that the revision fixed all ofy issues.

Managed to get $141CDN for the water damaged N4 on eBay so I'm happy with that. Never bringing my phone near water again haha.

DXPett1

Ah guys... The switching from 3G symbol to H symbol is simply showing data is being actively sent/received. HSPA = 3G. Are you new to stock Android?

zbeeb

Ah guys... The switching from 3G symbol to H symbol is simply showing data is being actively sent/received. HSPA = 3G. Are you new to stock Android?

Yep and it was normal under my sgs2 (aokp ROM). On the N4 though, its not that it just switches from H to 3G, but under 3G it gets stuck for a random amount of time and won't reconnect, even though I'm trying to use data..

I thought it might be network problems but its apparent under other networks too.

DagsJT

Anyone else have problems with the bottom of the screen not working? Basically the bottom of the space bar area doesn't work, the dock icons all need to be pressed in the top half. Makes typing quite awkward, I'm sure it used to be fine.

Edit: Never mind, Pie was enabled.

Lothars

So I picked up a Nexus 4 today the bestbuy I got it for 275 taxes in, I am liking it so far seems like a really nice phone.

Emwitus

Hey peeps. So i just got this phone. What are the best prepaid plans out there. I'm on a limited budget if that helps in the dallas area.

Groof

Any particularly recommended cases for the N4? I'm thinking of just getting the official bumper case.

If you really want to get a case I'd recommend a Ringke case. I personally have the Ringke Slim in white which looks absolutely great on the phone, doesn't add too much bulk and provides enough protection.
Others swear by the Ringke Fusion case, but I haven't used it so I can't say.

I use the black Ringke slim too. It's really thin so it looks decent but you have to wonder how much protection it really offers. Although I did drop my phone on the floor a few days ago and it came away unscathed so I guess the case is doing something right.

DagsJT

I use the Ringke Fusion case and it seems pretty good. It does add a bit of extra bulk and weight but that's to be expected, I guess.

verbum

Hey peeps. So i just got this phone. What are the best prepaid plans out there. I'm on a limited budget if that helps in the dallas area.

NetOne uses AT&T network. $45-50/month unlimited (but I believe the data is capped at around 2GB/month).

T-mobile is another choice but it is T-mobile.

Just get one month of one and try it at your house and work. If the coverage sucks, try another. Best Buy usually has the sim cards but may take an hour or so to get straightened out depending on the salesperson's knowledge/skill.
Amazon has the sims as well but they are "add-on" items and you have to order something else so the sim can ship with it.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Barely used the phone, have not made any calls at all, but I did leave it on a soundcloud page (in the browser) with an 11h track and this is my battery usage:
kMWexlu.png

At 33% and all I've done is write this reply. Yikes.

Edit: and I never started the track.

Emwitus

NetOne uses AT&T network. $45-50/month unlimited (but I believe the data is capped at around 2GB/month).

T-mobile is another choice but it is T-mobile.

Just get one month of one and try it at your house and work. If the coverage sucks, try another. Best Buy usually has the sim cards but may take an hour or so to get straightened out depending on the salesperson's knowledge/skill.
Amazon has the sims as well but they are "add-on" items and you have to order something else so the sim can ship with it.

Thanks verbum! Phone is arriving today. So giddy LOL. Will check this out! What's your opinion on straight talk and simple mobile?

I'm on Solavei.

$50 a month, 4 GB soft cap, unlimited voice and data, and it supports conditional call forwarding. It's on T-Mo's network, meaning coverage and speeds are great in urban areas, but pretty bad in rural areas.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

verbum

Thanks verbum! Phone is arriving today. So giddy LOL. Will check this out! What's your opinion on straight talk and simple mobile?

Straight Talk And Simple are on T-mobile's network so you may get better download speeds.

If you go out in the country away from the interstates, your coverage may be worse than an AT&T network plan.

Try one of each different network for a month and see which is better for work and home.

I've had my Nexus4 for a few weeks now and the battery drain is a bit more than I expected.

Fantastic phone otherwise, need to get a good case for it still.

Leaning towards the Ringke Fusion but it seems out of stock on their site.

Emwitus

I'm on Solavei.

$50 a month, 4 GB soft cap, unlimited voice and data, and it supports conditional call forwarding. It's on T-Mo's network, meaning coverage and speeds are great in urban areas, but pretty bad in rural areas.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks bud will check it out. Never heard of this one.
Straight Talk And Simple are on T-mobile's network so you may get better download speeds.

If you go out in the country away from the interstates, your coverage may be worse than an AT&T network plan.

Try one of each different network for a month and see which is better for work and home.

Thanks again verbum. About to leave the use and go sim shopping at bestbuy.

EDIT: Nexus Has arrived. Look at the white beautiful beast. Hold me gaf!

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Barely used the phone, have not made any calls at all, but I did leave it on a soundcloud page (in the browser) with an 11h track and this is my battery usage:

If you're having N4 problems I feel you son, I've had 9 replacements before my current ones.

99 problems aside. Chrome destroys battery life as does HSPA. I've never had a battery last less than 4.5 hours on all 10 of my N4s.

How long are you supposed to initially charge the phone?

I let mine die out of the box and charged it to full afterwards. I only do full cycle battery charges, I let it completely die then fully charge it.,

krae_man

Hey cool, Liquidus and I are phone buddies now.

I just picked this up. I was going to grab a Xperia Ion or an Ascend D1 Quad XL but the Huawei was sold out and the only Xperia my carrier store had was used and abused.

I can only get a $300 subsidy max with my carrier and I didn't want to go much over that, but this was the best choice they had as close to $300 as possible. Upgrading was a pain in the ass that took multiple visits and at least an hour in the store. Wind is awesome in some ways and terrible in others.

Hopefully it's worth it. I couldn't sync my Lumia 710 to Zune anymore for some stupid reason and the 8gb of memory just wan't cutting it. Can't wait to take this baby for a spin.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Hey cool, Liquidus and I are phone buddies now.

I just picked this up. I was going to grab a Xperia Ion or an Ascend D1 Quad XL but the Huawei was sold out and the only Xperia my carrier store had was used and abused.

I can only get a $300 subsidy max with my carrier and I didn't want to go much over that, but this was the best choice they had as close to $300 as possible. Upgrading was a pain in the ass that took multiple visits and at least an hour in the store. Wind is awesome in some ways and terrible in others.

Hopefully it's worth it. I couldn't sync my Lumia 710 to Zune anymore for some stupid reason and the 8gb of memory just wan't cutting it. Can't wait to take this baby for a spin.

Excellent. Krae. Welcome.

Best value for the money in the phone world period. Depending on use I easily get at least 4.5 hours of screen time.

I love this phone. It's fast and affordable. Best purchase I made this year outside of my $300 Metal Gear games lol.

krae_man

I'm sure I'll love it. I'm not the "I must own the best phone ever made" type. I'm sure it will be plenty good enough for what I will do with it.

I have a smart TV so I'm going to try out sending photos and videos to it wirelessly. That'll be a cool feature I'll use one or twice to show guests how awesome my TV is :lol

Thanks bud will check it out. Never heard of this one.
Solavei has a referral program, so if you are interested, just let me know and I'll send you a referral link. It might knock a buck or two off my bill or something. I dunno. If not, no big deal. They've got some users who are really pushy about it, but I'm definitely not one of them.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I'm sure I'll love it. I'm not the "I must own the best phone ever made" type. I'm sure it will be plenty good enough for what I will do with it.

I have a smart TV so I'm going to try out sending photos and videos to it wirelessly. That'll be a cool feature I'll use one or twice to show guests how awesome my TV is :lol

Never tried the wireless display stuff but a MHL Display port adaptor ($20 Amazon), root and Dualshock equals quite the great game machine :)

Emwitus

Just charge it when you go to bed. Mine had a 3/4 charge when it arrived. Took about 30 minutes to charge all the way. The new batteries don't need to be topped off.

I let mine die out of the box and charged it to full afterwards. I only do full cycle battery charges, I let it completely die then fully charge it.,

Solavei has a referral program, so if you are interested, just let me know and I'll send you a referral link. It might knock a buck or two off my bill or something. I dunno. If not, no big deal. They've got some users who are really pushy about it, but I'm definitely not one of them.

Thanks again guys. But man, i think this is as far as i go with screen size. My hands are hurting from how far i have to stretch my fingers to hold the phone and oh, i dropped the it on the carpet in the first 5 mins LOL. Anywho, loving the phone. I'm a very simple guy when it comes to phones so i don't ill be rooting. Probably download some launchers or customizations and that's it.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Bought mine 2 days ago. It's my very first smartphone, so I'm still amazed at all the stuff I can do with it (so many features/apps/services). I feel like a kid on Christmas day playing with his new toy.

krae_man

I had some wifi trouble last night. I was redownloading all the apps I had already purchased for my Tablet and the ones through the Google Play store all seemed to download fine, although a little slow(8mbps vs the 18mbps I pay for), but otherwise fine.

Then I go to download a game I already purchased on the Amazon app store and it's slow as molasses. It would stop for extended periods of time, and when the bar was moving, it was microscopic advances. Seems to be working better with my work Wifi now. I'll have to fiddle with some stuff.

Top Bottom