• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Maybe the WiFi Optimization and Avoid Poor Connections under Settings, WiFi, Advanced are playing weird.

Never really had speed issues unless I'm downloading multiple files/apps.

krae_man

Maybe the WiFi Optimization and Avoid Poor Connections under Settings, WiFi, Advanced are playing weird.

Never really had speed issues unless I'm downloading multiple files/apps.

Everything seems fine today. I had another problem where the Google play store seemed to be draining my battery but that is gone now too.

Drpunch

Neo Member
Anyone's battery recently go to absolute crap? My Nexus 4 has always had a decent battery, generally 2-3h screen time which lasted me around 2 days while I am out of the house. It's always been like this since I got it in December. However, recently over the past few weeks my battery has gone to hell. I can leave it alone for 4 hours and half the battery will be gone. The battery also sucks when I'm actively using it. I should note on Wi-Fi I am fine; it seems the data/4G is killing it more so than it did before. I haven't changed any apps or anything, everything is the same. I am beginning to think I got a bad battery...

Yo something is up with the chrome browser

Normally when you type in letters a dropdown of words that begin with those letters come up

But that's not happening

And when I do type the complete word I get an error on the page

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Everything seems fine today. I had another problem where the Google play store seemed to be draining my battery but that is gone now too.

Play Store "auto update apps" kills batteries.

Anyone's battery recently go to absolute crap? My Nexus 4 has always had a decent battery, generally 2-3h screen time which lasted me around 2 days while I am out of the house. It's always been like this since I got it in December. However, recently over the past few weeks my battery has gone to hell. I can leave it alone for 4 hours and half the battery will be gone. The battery also sucks when I'm actively using it. I should note on Wi-Fi I am fine; it seems the data/4G is killing it more so than it did before. I haven't changed any apps or anything, everything is the same. I am beginning to think I got a bad battery...

Let the phone die and try charging it through USB only. Not the charger but a USB port on a PS3/360 or a PC/Mac. Maybe I believe the internet too much but I know I read somewhere that sloe charges are better for batteries.

Yo something is up with the chrome browser

Normally when you type in letters a dropdown of words that begin with those letters come up

But that's not happening

And when I do type the complete word I get an error on the page

Welcome to Chrome.

Delete your cache.

With the previous update I would randomly not be able to long press to select options like open image, open in new tab. I deleted my cache but it did fuck all so I uninstalled all updates for Chrome in Settings, Apps then I updated it again in the Play Store.

I would also get constant freezes. The address bar, redress button and Chrome settings button would work as well as my on screen buttons but the web page would be frozen. Uninstalling and updating fixed my issues.

Le-mo

Any of you know how to block ads from downloading onto the phone? I see their icons on my front page and I would have to manually delete them.

Nicktendo86

IIRC the ads started appearing after I downloaded this battery saving app called "Easy Battery Saver." I deleted it months ago but the ads are still there.
Are they appearing as notifications? If so you can long press the notification and app info will appear, press that and it will show you the app that is causing the adverts.

Le-mo

Are they appearing as notifications? If so you can long press the notification and app info will appear, press that and it will show you the app that is causing the adverts.

I get notification ads and ads that are downloaded onto my phone. Their icons would show up on my main screen.

Hey everybody!

I have this question about the Nexus 4 screen. My phone fell down a week or so ago and the screen got cracked. I'm not worried about a cracked screen, the problem is that the screen is not reacting to my tapping anymore! Is this normal or something, can it be repaired normally by just fixing the screen or is there some other problem here ?

Husker86

Hey everybody!

I have this question about the Nexus 4 screen. My phone fell down a week or so ago and the screen got cracked. I'm not worried about a cracked screen, the problem is that the screen is not reacting to my tapping anymore! Is this normal or something, can it be repaired normally by just fixing the screen or is there some other problem here ?

Depending on the damage caused when the screen cracks the touch response may or may not be affected. Replacing the screen/digitizer assembly will fix the issue.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Hey everybody!

What Husker said. You need to replace the screen/digitizer assembly. If you're handy you can do it yourself. The N4 is so easy to take apart and fix. No proprietary screws or anything like that. Here's a video of the disassembly I used before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZDAIgwbXk4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Drpunch

Neo Member
Let the phone die and try charging it through USB only. Not the charger but a USB port on a PS3/360 or a PC/Mac. Maybe I believe the internet too much but I know I read somewhere that sloe charges are better for batteries.

Thanks for the help, but I actually figured out what the problem was. Ever since Dolphin updated recently it seems to drain battery even if you aren't using it. I know a few others had the same problem when I looked into it. I will try the slow charge though, anything that can help the battery life the better.

trixx

I dropped my phone now there seems to be a problem with the USB port. Sometimes it will charge other times it won't depending on how its in

verbum

I dropped my phone now there seems to be a problem with the USB port. Sometimes it will charge other times it won't depending on how its in

Send it in to be fixed or buy a wireless charger.
Personally I would get it fixed since I use car charger and a charger at my office sometimes.

Le-mo

Don't know if it's appropriate here but I'm selling my Nexus 4 in mint condition for $200. Comes with a case, a screen protector, and original box. Will format before shipping.

I bought a Nexus 4 and tmobile's $30 plan. I've been looking all through this thread and after reading the praise for Tmobile's $30 plan I'm giving that a shot.

Question is I know we'll go over the 100 minute limit. The only promising way i've heard to get around this is to use a VOIP program but most suck?

Skype's 2.99 /mo plan seems to be boss. It looks like TMobile coverage is pretty good in my area, pretty close to the city and HSPA+ is available around here. Hopefully it only gets better.

The other solution is just buy 1000 minutes for a year and see how that works out.

The other problem is I need my fiance to work the phone because of Verizon's BS i'm stuck with my phone # until November and can only remove her # from contract. Regardless if I do the 1000 minutes and only had to do it once or twice I'm still coming out on top big time compared to Verizon. Yes their coverage is great, i've had some crazy crazy LTE problems for a long time on my phone too. They also caused me headaches when renewing contracts. I called them and they said there is a $60 plan (instead of $100) for 550 minutes shared (instead of 700 minutes) after I was tellng them i'm leaving! Man I hate that they hold out until i'm about to leave...still saving more money!

fuzzyset

I bought a Nexus 4 and tmobile's $30 plan. I've been looking all through this thread and after reading the praise for Tmobile's $30 plan I'm giving that a shot.

Question is I know we'll go over the 100 minute limit. The only promising way i've heard to get around this is to use a VOIP program but most suck?

I have this setup. I've done this since January. I use Google Voice for everything so it helps. I use GrooveIP on my phone when possible (on Wifi, it works over cellular but drops happen more often). It's not the best app, but it's serviceable. Generally if I know it's going to be a long phone call, I try to call from my computer (Google Voice / Talk handle this). It's obviously not the ideal situation, but for 30$ a month and (basically unlimited) 4G, it's great.

Depending on the damage caused when the screen cracks the touch response may or may not be affected. Replacing the screen/digitizer assembly will fix the issue.

What Husker said. You need to replace the screen/digitizer assembly. If you're handy you can do it yourself. The N4 is so easy to take apart and fix. No proprietary screws or anything like that. Here's a video of the disassembly I used before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZDAIgwbXk4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thank you very much for the responses and the video. I don't know if I dare opening my phone though. I'll watch the video and think about it.

kehs

Banned
Has anyone setup multi-users on their n4?

A quick glance at xda says that Paranoid Android has it built it, but I'm not looking into changing roms. Hopefully a root method exists.

snack

so i rooted my phone and want to install custom roms but at the same time, i want to keep all my data like pictures and apps etc. will titanium backup be enough?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
so i rooted my phone and want to install custom roms but at the same time, i want to keep all my data like pictures and apps etc. will titanium backup be enough?

Yes. Pictures can also easily be stored on Google Plus.

Groof

Mediaserver is going buckwild and gobbling up my battery life. What do?
Is it Play Music or the gallery that causes this? Don't really get a reading from BBS.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Would it be a bad idea to charge my Nexus 4 directly with the cable that came with the wireless orb? It's a higher current I think.

Isn't it the adaptor that determines what voltage is sent? Never heard of a USB cord increasing voltage/amps to a device.

Is it Play Music or the gallery that causes this? Don't really get a reading from BBS.

I always have my auto-sync off as well as Touch Sounds under settings, sounds as they drive media server usage up.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Reboot.

Bboy AJ

I get that issue sometimes and a reboot fixes it. I don't know what to say, then. Sucks.

I've been noticing that charging the n4 from a pc via usb gives me at least 20% more battery life than charging from the wall socket. Charging is slower, but battery lasts much longer.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I've been noticing that charging the n4 from a pc via usb gives me at least 20% more battery life than charging from the wall socket. Charging is slower, but battery lasts much longer.

I agree with this. Yes it takes forever through USB but I too see better battery life compared to the AC charger.

L034

Has anyone setup multi-users on their n4?

A quick glance at xda says that Paranoid Android has it built it, but I'm not looking into changing roms. Hopefully a root method exists.

I'm running Paranoid Android at the moment, and I tried it out for the kicks.

It currently has several drawbacks:

1) you cannot read messages nor answer phone calls in guest accounts. EDIT: It rings, but you have to change accounts to pick up. This can be good, but it's a pain that it can't be changed somewhere. You pretty much kill the phone as a phone as is. I wish guests had permission control. (hint hint google)

2) the only way to change user accounts is from the lockscreen in landscape at the moment.

There are apps that do it, such as https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fahrbot.apps.switchme&hl=en
{EDIT} Switchme will make you every time you switch for what it's worth{/EDIT}

Or you can edit files as root and use a rebuilt framework-res as per :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2063195

osknoes

I've been taking a look at the ringke cases, but don't seem to find any that covers the screen, and I'm a bit afraid I'll break it because I drop my phone quite often. Any recommendations ?

Kwhit10

So I've had this phone since February and I have yet to take off the original front and back screen protector that came with the phone. Is that bad hah?

solarus

Is it Nexus rumour season yet? I want that Nexus 5 + Android 5.0
You and me both, i had my iphone 5 jacked recently so this is the right time for a new android phone to win me back. Android has been great with having much much greater addition of new features and progressions each os update and ios 7 does not excite me feature wise.

Cudder

You and me both, i had my iphone 5 jacked recently so this is the right time for a new android phone to win me back. Android has been great with having much much greater addition of new features and progressions each os update and ios 7 does not excite me feature wise.
Doesn't the iPhone have a number of ways to track stolen phones?

solarus

Doesn't the iPhone have a number of ways to track stolen phones?

Yeah I used it as soon as I noticed it was jacked, but since anyone can just turn of location services and she could just turn the phone off, etc I couldn't risk waiting and just using the tracking ability, it was super important that I remote wiped the device, it had really important and sensitive information on it so that was my main concern. I used the track thing and then remote wiped straight away, which was successful, couldn't risk them seeing my info. Anyway police did fuck all and the sim and phone are barred and useless now at least. Hope android also has features like these, don't remember my galaxy note having them.

Yeah I used it as soon as I noticed it was jacked, but since anyone can just turn of location services and she could just turn the phone off, etc I couldn't risk waiting and just using the tracking ability, it was super important that I remote wiped the device, it had really important and sensitive information on it so that was my main concern. I used the track thing and then remote wiped straight away, which was successful, couldn't risk them seeing my info. Anyway police did fuck all and the sim and phone are barred and useless now at least. Hope android also has features like these, don't remember my galaxy note having them.

nope, not by default.

Nicktendo86

There are apps that do it, Cerberus is a very good one. Can do more than the iPhone, can take pics remotely, can sound an alarm, can record audio or video etc and can also be hidden so if someone steals your phone they won't know the app is installed.

Does anyone else feel like this phone is like really prone to breaking? I've had every single nexus device that has ever come out and they all occasionally took a couple spills be it from me or my gf and all have been fine but both times my nexus 4 fell the glass has cracked. Thing literally slipped out my pocket while sitting maybe fell 1 1/2 ft and back glass cracked yesterday...ridiculous. I really hope LG doesn't make any more nexus phones. I would love to see a Sony nexus device. They must be like one of the only big companies not to make one yet.

Does anyone else feel like this phone is like really prone to breaking? I've had every single nexus device that has ever come out and they all occasionally took a couple spills be it from me or my gf and all have been fine but both times my nexus 4 fell the glass has cracked. Thing literally slipped out my pocket while sitting maybe fell 1 1/2 ft and back glass cracked yesterday...ridiculous. I really hope LG doesn't make any more nexus phones. I would love to see a Sony nexus device. They must be like one of the only big companies not to make one yet.

They make the phones with the worst screens, though. NotsureifIwant.gif

Top Bottom