• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

aznpxdd

Uh...so I just updated my phone to 4.3 and lost a good amount of photos in my gallery. The fuck? Is there anything I can do to recover them?

DXPett1

Uh...so I just updated my phone to 4.3 and lost a good amount of photos in my gallery. The fuck? Is there anything I can do to recover them?

You sure their meta data was just fucked and they are now at the end of the gallery?.

Double check via USB+PC

twofold

4.3 seems to have halved my idle battery drain. Pretty cool. Only dropped 3% battery overnight.

My phone seems smoother and more responsive than it did pre-update, too.

All in all, seems like a decent update.

CronoShot

So after getting the new Nexus 7 (my first Android device) a few days ago and really liking it, I went ahead and ordered a Nexus 4. You know, to make it a set.

I've made a huge mistake.

I downloaded the OTA update to 4.3 and my phone has crashed a few times already. I just find it powered off after leaving it for a while.

Although I suspect the problem is Puzzlecraft(which I've been playing a lot lately), if I leave it running and lock the phone it's pretty much a guaranteed crash.

Zomba13

So I just bought one earlier (£276.32 including delivery, by shoving a price from Amazon.co.uk into Flubit). It's time for an upgrade from my Huawei Ascend g300 which I only got early last year (around £100, needed a new phone, didn't have a job at that time).

It was between this and the Samsung Galaxy S3 (my price range was around £285-£300) and this and that seemed to be the best models in that price range and a good upgrade from my current phone which I can give to my Mum as an upgrade to her current one.

Looking forward to it and being able to run more games and just have a smoother Android experience in general.

Husker86

I'm using a GS4 now but still have my Nexus 4 and it hasn't received the update yet. It's beyond ridiculous that Google doesn't think they can handle a simultaneous rollout on their vast amount
lol
of Nexus devices.

KarmaCow

Yea I still haven't got the 4.3 update on my Nexus 4 (in Canada but that shouldn't matter right?). I'm running stock, never even attempted to root the phone so I'm kinda worried after reading reviews about how HTC or Samsung so slow getting 4.3 because their Nexus devices got them immediately.

Emwitus

gaddang. It messed up Atom launcher(the best launcher by the way). Now the app drawer file system isn't working.

I downloaded the OTA update to 4.3 and my phone has crashed a few times already. I just find it powered off after leaving it for a while.

Although I suspect the problem is Puzzlecraft(which I've been playing a lot lately), if I leave it running and lock the phone it's pretty much a guaranteed crash.

This too.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Out of all the people expecting issues with 4.3 on a N4 I'd be the first but both my N4s are running great.

The new camera options placement is pretty terrible though. Google gonna Google.

Camera finally has a timer so that's pretty great.

My only issue with 4.3 is the battery, if I'm down to 30% or so and reboot the phone, it shows me anywhere from 6-14% left.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Camera finally has a timer so that's pretty great.

My only issue with 4.3 is the battery, if I'm down to 30% or so and reboot the phone, it shows me anywhere from 6-14% left.

I do appreciate the timer but I wish the options buttons weren't so close to the shutter button.

Finally got 4.3.

Scrolling is borked in all web browsers and swipe on the stock keyboard is fucked up.

Goddamnit.

EDIT: Seems to be primarily while charging.

Flynn77

So Nexus 4 GAF, is it worth getting one of these phones now? I'm now in need of a new phone as my Nexus S is starting to have serious problems coping with the modern world! I guess I could zombie on till October(if that's when there is an update) but the price point is very tempting.

yyzjohn

Banned
So Nexus 4 GAF, is it worth getting one of these phones now? I'm now in need of a new phone as my Nexus S is starting to have serious problems coping with the modern world! I guess I could zombie on till October(if that's when there is an update) but the price point is very tempting.

You may want to consider the Motorola X phone being announced today at 3. All indications are it'll be running as close to stock android as you'll get outside of a Nexus device. Processor should be slightly faster than what's on the Nexus 4 and the battery life *should* supposedly be better. Off contract price will rival the Nexus.

Edit: forgot, the camera should also be better than the Nexus 4.

Flynn77

You may want to consider the Motorola X phone being announced today at 3. All indications are it'll be running as close to stock android as you'll get outside of a Nexus device. Processor should be slightly faster than what's on the Nexus 4 and the battery life *should* supposedly be better. Off contract price will rival the Nexus.

Edit: forgot, the camera should also be better than the Nexus 4.

Thanks I'll check it out. I'm gravitating towards another nexus phone though as it's been pretty nice receiving the updates nice and sharpish rather than waiting for a third party to convert. Interesting to see it though...

Hmm, looking at the N4 though it's top memory option is still only 16 gig. I have that at the moment on the S and my phone is speed crippled because of App storage memory creep. That's a bit of a worry, has anybody experienced bad slowdown due to memory?

(Just to clarify my Nexus S slows down MASSIVELY when the internal memory fills up, even though the total space is relatively empty.)

Today I discovered that there is an AOSP browser installer in the Play Store (Root required)

Why did I not know this before? What a glorious afternoon of full screen browsing, quick controls and gifs that don't play at 1fps. Chrome sync doesn't work properly but that's a minor quibble.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Noticed about a 30 minute screen time improvement on 4.3 using the same apps. 3 hours of Reddit with YouTube videos, 1 hour of Chrome and 1 hour of Simpsons Tapped Out.

Jf3ieyZ.png

q0X0gZZ.png

5b3GrDG.png

Groof

Noticed about a 30 minute screen time improvement on 4.3 using the same apps. 3 hours of Reddit with YouTube videos, 1 hour of Chrome and 1 hour of Simpsons Tapped Out.

Are you rooted? I've been seeing progressively worse battery life since the update.

I noticed worse battery performance after 4.3 hit, then I dumped Chrome and started using the AOSP browser and its definitely better now (got 3hrs of screen on time on 3G today, compared to 2.5hrs on Chrome).

I'd get a lot more if I was on wifi all day long, sadly they never bothered to install free wifi in our side of the building.... :(

Groof

A root shouldn't have any effect on battery life. That comes down to whatever Roms and Kernels you're using.

Edit- Yes, Chrome is still a battery pig.

But with all the root issues that were introduced with 4.3 it's probably a supersu or something going buckwild, even though I figured I'd installed the fix. Oh well, maybe I'll just do a factory reset for now, been aching to do one for a while anyway.

Razdek

Banned
Put 4.3 on my device and battery life is way better but I also deleted everything and started fresh. Idle drainage for me was an issue before as it would go down 20%-30% when I was sleeping and now that's down to about 5%-10%. Could be that I deleted everything or the way 4.3 handles the power usage but I'm happy about more battery life.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I was hoping for improved battery life since update but so far I haven't noticed major differences. I'm /]this[\ close to getting rid of this phone because I'm living in a constant state of fear of running out of battery, especially when I'm out in the city with friends. I've never had to be so conscious of battery life and charging like this before.

I'm giving it one last chance since I discovered recently the official charger it came with is starting to get funky. So I'll buy a new one and see of if charging times and battery usage improves (or at least give more accurate readings).

I upgraded to 4.3 on my Nexus 4 yesterday (it had stock 4.2 on it, but unlocked bootloader and rooted) and everything seemed to work fine, but when the phone finished the upgrade process, each time I tried to unlock the screen using my password it would restart. It was odd because I was still getting notifications for messages and things like that, but I could not access my phone at all because I couldn't unlock my device.

After an hour or so of exploring options, I ended up just flashing my Nexus 4 with the 4.3 imgs (not including the user data one) and it seemed to fix everything without losing any of my data.

In my time searching though I found a ton of people with issues upgrading their Nexus 4s, which sucks. Some of these people even reported they were using unrooted phones. You'd think Google would have tested more on their flagship phone.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Just had my first random shut down since owning the N4 thanks to the 4.3 and Netflix bug. Shitty. 20% of the battery vanished thanks to it. Google gonna Google.

Are you rooted? I've been seeing progressively worse battery life since the update.

Same here, battery is acting weird since update. Idle usage is about the same but screen time has decreased and Android OS seems to be using more battery :(

Just had my first random shut down since owning the N4 thanks to the 4.3 and Netflix bug. Shitty. 20% of the battery vanished thanks to it. Google gonna Google.

Yeah I have had that 20% drop happen a couple of times now, but no crash. The drop usually happens after battery is down to 30% or so.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Well I managed to crack the back of my Nexus 4 today. Is there anywhere to order a replacement part aside from eBay?

yyzjohn

Banned
Battery life for me since the update has vastly improved.

Battery life improved for me on 4.2.2 and I don't notice a difference either positive or negative with 4.3 so far. Seems about the same. Sad to hear about these Netflix and random shutoff bugs. Haven't experienced it but then again I don't have Netflix.

Groof

A factory reset seems to have fixed a lot of my battery issues. The phone's sleeping like a baby now!

It also allowed me to finally start cleaning up the amount of apps I have installed, went from over a 100 to less than 60.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Have had this phone about 2 weeks now. Loving it vs my Atrix 4g I had prior.

One thing is bugging me though...

Is there a universal "do not ever vibrate for anything, EVER" option?"

I know a lot of apps have an option to control vibrate notifications, but some don't. Particularly my stock exchange mail ... so it vibrates constantly and is killing my battery lol.

Husker86

Have had this phone about 2 weeks now. Loving it vs my Atrix 4g I had prior.

One thing is bugging me though...

Is there a universal "do not ever vibrate for anything, EVER" option?"

I know a lot of apps have an option to control vibrate notifications, but some don't. Particularly my stock exchange mail ... so it vibrates constantly and is killing my battery lol.
Are you sure the stock Mail app doesn't have that option? I haven't used it in a while but I thought I remembered that. Maybe I'll set up an account and check that out.

Kanyon

Updated to 4.3, used it for about 2 days with no troubles then all of a sudden had a series of lockups, reboots and now my phone is bricked. Plug in the charger cable and the red LED lights up.

Phone is completely stock and not rooted, but this phone dying on me has completely rooted me!

Emwitus

Gaddang it. I'm starting to regret my purchase. Is their anyway I can do a factory reset without losing my texts, pics and what's app messages? Black screen locks, spontaneous key presses, random screen lock ups... Fuck this. Phone is barely a month old with no root

Top Bottom