• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

markot

Banned
so you think being able to sell it unlocked at 300/350 in north america is a bigger advantage in terms of getting it in peoples hands than selling it on carriers?

If they are able to push enough units they will make the carriers reconsider perhaps and be less awful with their 'branding', bloat and shit.

beast786

Lol, Google knows what they're doing. If they do what you're asking for they're just another fish in the sea. What they've done with the Nexus 4 is much, much more bold, and should increase Nexus global coverage several fold. Guarantee tonnes of people will buy this that would otherwise never have had the option to own a super phone. Globally speaking, not just America.

you can get iPhone 4 for free ;p

If they are able to push enough units they will make the carriers reconsider perhaps and be less awful with their 'branding', bloat and shit.
there is a much better chance it will fail in relative terms than blow up. But hey like I said, I'm doing my part. I'm just not giving a google free pass for the situation. But I'll still support it.

Cipherr

you can get iPhone 4 for free ;p

The 4 is nice and all, but its no Nex 4. No way in heck, hardware wise, and even software wise, the Nex 4 will still be getting official day 1 OS updates 2 years from now, the iPhone 4 wont. Plus the iPhone 4 isn't free, it locks you into a 2 year contract.

nib95

Banned
and you are drinking dat google koolaid. There is no LTE on the phone because the carriers wouldn't allow it in its current form. Not for any single other reason or excuse google has made up. They took the situation and tried to make it sound like a positive but if you think this was their goal from the beginning you'd be wrong.

Lol, arm chair tech expert here who apparently knows Google better than Google. My guess is their reasoning was sound, and they wanted a mass produced device they could sell globally without any of the carrier gripe or global configuration issues and in doing so greatly reduce costs and pool those savings towards the consumer.

This is literally a ground breaking price for such a device. I'm personally still stunned at how cheap it is for what you get.

From the UK here and own an S3 which I love, but even I'm considering switching. I could get something potentially better in many ways and profit several hundred pounds from the switch. It's insane.

Lol, arm chair tech expert here who apparently knows Google better than Google. My guess is their reasoning was sound, and they wanted a mass produced device they could sell globally without any of the carrier gripe and in doing so greatly reduce costs and pool those savings towards the consumer.
This is literally a ground breaking price for such a device. I'm personally still stunned at how cheap it is for what you get.
it's a great price with amazing value. But it's still missing something it should have at the end of 2012 in some form. Like I said, they took the situation and tried to make the best of it. But there is zero doubt they wanted to have LTE on it and went for that first. Got rejected. Did this.

Even I'm saying it's passable for now. Which is why I'm getting it. But if something doesn't change, it won't be passable next year.

markot

Banned
I still dont get why they take so long to update the androids >.< even samsung takes while, then the carriers take awhile...

I mean, it cant be that hard... is it laziness? Or is it actually difficult? Maybe Google should focus on making updates seamless?

One of the main things I love about my nexus 7 is that it gets shit quick. And its the main reason I want the 4, I dont have to wait half a year for an incremental update...

I still dont get why they take so long to update the androids >.< even samsung takes while, then the carriers take awhile...

I mean, it cant be that hard... is it laziness? Or is it actually difficult? Maybe Google should focus on making updates seamless?

One of the main things I love about my nexus 7 is that it gets shit quick. And its the main reason I want the 4, I dont have to wait half a year for an incremental update...
carriers don't care, that's why. And they're evil. They'll hold back an update just to use version number as a selling point for a newer device. They gain absolutely nothing from these updates.

The carriers are not only the reason android can't seem to update on every phone not named nexus, but also the reason all these shitty skins exist.

beast786

The 4 is nice and all, but its no Nex 4. No way in heck, hardware wise, and even software wise, the Nex 4 will still be getting official day 1 OS updates 2 years from now, the iPhone 4 wont. Plus the iPhone 4 isn't free, it locks you into a 2 year contract.

It was a joke.

There is no debate between iPhone and cheaper model like N4. people don't understand apple business model. its not made to sell most. It's made to make the most money, they achieve that with form and ecosystem .

apple doesn't cater low end price market. that is not there model. If Samsung or google takes 100% of that, apple won't give a damn.

aznpxdd

Awww yeah, can't wait to pick this shit up. I don't care about LTE since I'm gonna be using this phone in China 9-10 months of the year. $300 and pretty much the performance king? Yes please.

Just to be clear, the nexus 4 doesn't come with all that shitty hardware company bloatware like the samsung galaxy, does it?

This is a google phone just made by LG? No LG branding on the OS at all? Just stock android? I don't know much about the nexus brand.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Just to be clear, the nexus 4 doesn't come with all that shitty hardware company bloatware like the samsung galaxy, does it?

This is a google phone just made by LG? No LG branding on the OS at all? Just stock android? I don't know much about the nexus brand.

yeah it's just clean, stock android.

You answered your own questions.

malyce

Well the LTE chip itself is 100-200 dollars. It would most certainly have driven costs up.
I hate when people do this. Show me a link that says a LTE baseband chip costs $200. Last time I checked the Snapdragon S4 in the One X and S3 came with LTE integrated into the SoC. The cost of the S4? ~$35. You know what happens when you buy it in bulk?

Nilaul

This was found on the XDA forums:

chrisjcks said:
Nexus4 vs galaxy nexus boot time

http://goo.gl/HxI5G

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Geekbench seems to show the Nexus 4 power! (but quadrant, antutu etc dont)

Nexus 4 - 1961
IPad 4 - 1757
IPhone 5 - 1571
IPad 3 - 791
IPad 2 - 780

Sources:

http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpr...xus4-stats.jpg

http://gadgetinsiders.com/ipad-4-ben...one-5/1202085/

----

If you look at early scores for N4 vs iPhone 5, the nexus shows its worth with geekbench

pyve9e9u.jpg

e4e8a4a3.jpg

Cipherr

Exactly, if you buy from the playstore, it doesn't even have carrier branding at all. No Carrier logos, no bloatware, and day 1 updates. Its just the most pure version of the OS with no baggage.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Terrible, terrible build quality phones, equally terrible software.
They seem to have improved over the last few years, but I just can't wash that disgusting taste out of my mouth that easily.

Build quality has never been an issue. It was always software.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I hate when people do this. Show me a link that says a LTE baseband chip costs $200. Last time I checked the Snapdragon S4 in the One X and S3 came with LTE integrated into the SoC. The cost of the S4? ~$35. You know what happens when you buy it in bulk?

They made a point on the last vergecast or mobile vergecast that it was indeed 100-200 dollars. One of the guys was adamant about it.

abuC

Will probably be my next phone, I like the Lumia 920, but can't really justify paying $700 for a phone. This price point is nearly impossible to beat.

The carriers are not only the reason android can't seem to update on every phone not named nexus, but also the reason all these shitty skins exist.

No, the skins exist because that is how OEMs differentiate their devices. For the most part hardware will be similar between devices in a price range, so software is the differentiating factor. If it was carriers forcing skins, then why do all Samsung devices regardless of part of the world or carrier have Touchwiz? Similar with HTC Sense? OEMs which were weak on software have been marginalized fast, such Motorola and LG. HTC fell out of favor incredibly fast just because Sense was a bunch of bloat which didn't actually add anything useful to Android.

Touchwiz is still pretty tacky and ugly these days but you can't deny that Samsung's video player dramatically outclasses all other players, with hardware acceleration supported for all codecs and containers including mkv, and built-in subtitles decoding from both separate files and embedded subs in mkv. Samsung's music player has a full equalizer and surround virtualizer and it has a feature that scans your music files and sorts them by how they sound and automatically builds a playlist of music that sounds similar to the algorithm. Samsung was the first OEM to put toggles in the Notification shade back in the Android 2.x days, which Google has only now added to Android 4.2. They were the first to to modify the stock browser to add hardware acceleration all the way back in the 2.x days too, nobody else did that. And yes, Samsung are the first ones who added full stylus support and a suite of apps to go with the S-Pen in the original Galaxy Note. Say what you will about skins, but Samsung has added all kinds of good shit to Android over the years, some of which Google has back-ported to stock Android, and they continue to differentiate their products from other OEMs with their software. Now if only they could push out updates faster, I really wonder when or even if the GSIII and GNII will get Android 4.2.

aznpxdd

They made a point on the last vergecast or mobile vergecast that it was indeed 100-200 dollars. One of the guys was adamant about it.

Uh.............

Yeah, there's no way a LTE chip is even anywhere near $100, let alone $200. Whoever is trying to supply phone manufactures with that kinda price would be laughed at and be out of business in Asia.

Could the benchmarks just be using two cores?

AnandTech said:
The Nexus 4 performs about in line with other Snapdragon S4 based devices, although once again the extra 2 cores don't seem to be doing much for it here at all.

Currently reading the AnandTech Perfromance preview and its getting trounced by the iPhone 5

I'm deciding between the two and need to make my decision soon, so this is insightful

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6425/google-nexus-4-and-nexus-10-review/1

-PXG-

My area doesn't have LTE yet, but my GF's does. Grrrrr, this is tough. I love my Skyrocket, but getting official updates from Google is really nice. I've put a lot of time and effort customizing my current phone. Custom ROMs and kernels are nice, but having a Nexus device saves you a lot of trouble.

Decisions....

F#A#Oo

Banned
Reading this thread you'd think LTE is essential.

The fact is that it's a luxury and has not even reached a standard.

Google has played it smart. Good pricing and they avoid having to include tech that isn't standardized.

Nilaul

Currently reading the AnandTech Perfromance preview and its getting trounced by the iPhone 5

I'm deciding between the two and need to make my decision soon, so this is insightful

Its seems that nothing is really utilizing the other two cores then. The browsers and other programs are probably made for two core use and havnt been modified yet for four cores. We going have to wait and see then. Probably a wait till launch day or a few days after.

Toki767

I'm somewhat confused about why there isn't LTE since I thought the Pro was supposed to have it built in. Is it not the case anymore? This phone is an absolute steal if you are on T-Mobile in the US though.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6425/google-nexus-4-and-nexus-10-review/2

Read on and you discover that the Nexus 4 might be Overheating and Thermal Throttling for everyone. I don't know if this is production hardware or not. If it is, I wonder if Google is going to get a lot of product returns when the phone overheats and throttles playing games and the owner, who isn't locked into a contract, just sends it back. Also, the battery life seems pretty crummy from Anandtech's testing, especially for a phone that doesn't even have LTE. Anand's testing methodology really beats up a battery too, so I tend to think of their tests as a more realistic worst-case scenario than other sites' tests.

Danj

There's not much in the way of LTE in the UK yet and my carrier (Three) won't be getting any until at least 2014 or something, so I'm definitely considering getting myself one of these for Christmas (need to make sure I have enough money for other stuff and presents first, but if I do then I'll almost certainly get one).

I do hope that Google is in charge of releasing updates for it and not LG though - my current phone is an Optimus 2X and still hasn't received ICS.

iirate

twofold

Oh wow.

Wonder why they wouldn't chase for higher battery life. I barely use internet on the go though so it might not be a factor.

There seems to be something strange happening with the battery. The LG Optimus G is lasting about 50% longer in battery tests, despite having near identical hardawre specs. Google is releasing an OTA update for Jelly Bean 4.2 prior to the Nexus 4's release - hopefully it'll improve things.

Blablurn

i wonder, will i be able to use sim cards from all over the world when i buy it? i wanna buy one here in germany. lets say im going to china and buy a sim over there, will it work?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
There seems to be something strange happening with the battery. The LG Optimus G is lasting about 50% longer in battery tests, despite having near identical hardawre specs. Google is releasing an OTA update for Jelly Bean 4.2 prior to the Nexus 4's release - hopefully it'll improve things.

If they fix the battery issue, I might spring for one of these.

I am mighty tired of iOS and some of its most annoying quirks. Will keep checking the news on the Nexus 4.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Before I moved to Europe, I never realized just how ignorant NAers can be. LTE is only a factor in the US, maybe Canada. Pyro is being so unreasonable it's not even funny. Okay, it matters to you. That's fine. But to say this is the end of Google or whatever, give me a break. Admittedly, though, you've been taking back your original, very radical point in your last couple of posts. Smart move.

The price is a big deal. It's off contract. If you're buying a phone and locking yourself into a 2-3 year contract, yeah, no LTE is a big concern. But that's not the case here. Google can reasses next year. And they will. Much easier with cache in the Nexus brand than trying to strong arm today with no power. They can't do that right now. The N4 is a baby step in the war of negotiations.

Show me what brand new phones you can buy for $300 these days. I don't even think you could buy the lowest tier POS phone out there for that price. Hell, an iPhone 4 costs much more.

Oh wow.

Wonder why they wouldn't chase for higher battery life. I barely use internet on the go though so it might not be a factor.

When it comes to battery life Software will be a bigger difference.

i wonder, will i be able to use sim cards from all over the world when i buy it? i wanna buy one here in germany. lets say im going to china and buy a sim over there, will it work?

yes

twofold

Show me what brand new phones you can buy for $300 these days. I don't even think you could buy the lowest tier POS phone out there for that price. Hell, an iPhone 4 costs much more.

It's hilarious that this phone is being compared to the latest and greatest high end phones that cost nearly twice as much. It's also amazing that it manages to compete with them. Price wise, its competition is the Galaxy Ace 2, the S3 mini, the HTC One S and other midrange phones, and those phones aren't anywhere as good as the Nexus 4.

Yup. China Unicom should work without any problems.

Kiraly

To be fair, that &#8364;349 must be heavily subsidized by Google as there are some reports of MSRP's in non-Google Play countries of &#8364;549 at retail. Would fucking suck if true.

As in better or worse?

My nexus 7 probably lasts 6-8 hours using solely for videos.

What I mean is battery life will depend a lot more on the Software than the hardware. I don't know whether Nexus 4 will be better or worse than my S3 until I use it. From reviews it looks like, Engadget did not like it, other reviews says it was fine for normal use.

For all we know current 4.2 software on the phone has some memory leak issues (has happened to Android in the past) causing bad battery life.

If you really want to see battery life, wait for release, in a week XDA will be flooded with people's data on battery life.

Top Bottom