• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

panda21

my pending order said delivery estimate nov 15 for a while, now its gone back to saying shipping estimate nov 15. wtf is going on?

I'd like to get a N4, but after my experience with the N7 -- people who walked into the store and others who ordered up to 3 weeks after I ordered mine got theirs before me -- I'm not going to order anything else direct from Google until they learn how to treat customers properly.

Chairhome

Can anyone else not access the Google play store right now? Maybe cause I'm on my phone, but it's not loading for me. The phone didn't go up at 8am est,right?

mAcOdIn

Can anyone else not access the Google play store right now? Maybe cause I'm on my phone, but it's not loading for me. The phone didn't go up at 8am est,right?
Still up for me and still not for sale either.

In the US just to be sure you and I are accessing the same store.

So no confirmation for 12 EST here in Canada/USA? My god google. I'm in class now and finish at 11:30. I'm staying in the library to order it at noon if it hits then. Don't want to do it on my phone.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
AnandTech - Google Nexus 4 Review - Google's new Flagship

NB: Anandtech's new battery testing methodology is bullshit imo. Doesn't represent real world usage at all. And the charts are laughable selectively with the devices shown

Reading through this so far, and I feel like such a nerd because I can point out a few issues I have with this review - I'm not even sweating the benchmark test comparisons - but the section on 4.2 feels wanting. For example he mentions Google Music notifications getting an update in 4.2 to allow more playback features - but that happened as an update for Google Music itself, and that update was the one that occurred a few weeks ago.

He then goes to say that Google Now has been given an update for 4.2 - but again, at best he talks about updates that occurred a few weeks ago for Google Now - separate from 4.2.

Did Google Now get a bump for 4.2?

The thermal throttling is a bit of concern, the bit that I like is the reviewer mentioned the n4 was dropped several times with no adverse effect. then again, depends on how it was dropped.

thuway

Has the phone start selling on the US store? I want to order as soon as possible, but I don't have access to internet all the time.

Shambles

Just woke up to find it still hasn't launched in N/A and sold out in the UK store as well. So many delicious tears from entitled man-babies. Here's to hoping I make the cut when it goes live in N/A.

I'm currently ripping all my music into FLAC and it's taking days. I'm one of those weirdos who still buys nothing but CDs. I don't want to think about how long it's going to take to upload.

la_briola

Just double checked, and it's actually a bit over 200. Still, not that much!

I'll have to check it out, I need to flesh out my collection.

List of all albums http://ocremix.org/remixes/ alphabetically ordered.

edit: The best start would be to list them by popularity: http://bt.ocremix.org/index.php?order=completed&sort=descending

Some of my favorites:
Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream
Chrono Trigger: Chrono Symphonic
OC ReMix - Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Official Soundtrack
Doom: The Dark Side of Phobos
Xenogears: Humans + Gears
Pokémon: The Missingno Tracks
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening: Threshold of a Dream

The torrents mostly are FLAC and MP3.

la_briola

I'm currently ripping all my music into FLAC and it's taking days. I'm one of those weirdos who still buys nothing but CDs. I don't want to think about how long it's going to take to upload.

Best case: You are not uploading any of it IF Google already has the song in their database. The Google music client takes fingerprints of your files and matches it and the files get added to your collection.

Does anyone know the price of the wireless charging dock in Germany?

Also, I'm jumping ship to Android from iOS. Whats the must have stuff, and how do I make it look all clean, pretty and like Google Now across the entire interface?

AnandTech - Google Nexus 4 Review - Google's new Flagship

NB: Anandtech's new battery testing methodology is bullshit imo. Doesn't represent real world usage at all. And the charts are laughable selectively with the devices shown

new battery test is awesome!

choice quotes!

The Nexus 4 charges from fully discharged to completely charged in 3.033 hours on the Qi mat, which is basically the same charge time as I saw off of microUSB on a BC 1.2 charger.

damn, guess i was wrong about wireless charging, looks like it's already on par with wired.

The result is battery life that isn't really chart topping, yet in my time with the Nexus 4 I haven't really been want for more battery life at any point. I'm able to get through a single day with the device set on auto brightness.
*does bad on Battery Life stress test*
*doesn't do bad in anecdotal real life usage by same reviewer*
awesome test, A+++

kM4np.gif

best in class performance.*

Another new toggle is a force 4x MSAA checkbox for OpenGL ES 2.0 games. Tick this and, no surprise, you’ll get 4x MSAA forced in OpenGL ES 2.0 apps if the GPU on your SoC supports it.
nice!

My other main gripe with the Nexus 4 camera UX is a big one, and it’s something I felt very passionately about in our iPhone 5 camera review. The Nexus 4 makes the same annoying UX decision as the iPhone 5 and shows an aspect-crop in its preview instead of the full field of view. Put simply, the top and bottom of the image are cropped off in the preview, but appear in the image.
GOIN' IN on those invisible margins!

Nexus 4 also has the latest and greatest Qualcomm transceiver onboard, WTR1605L, which we’re going to talk at length about in another piece. It’s actually somewhat surprising to see the latest and greatest here considering the Nexus 4 doesn’t include LTE support, even though it does have the hardware for it on bands 4, 2, and 1 in theory.
more salt in the wounds of people who want an LTE Nexus 4. or more hope?

* = in the freezer. ICE COLD!!!

Does anyone know the price of the wireless charging dock in Germany?

Also, I'm jumping ship to Android from iOS. Whats the must have stuff, and how do I make it look all clean, pretty and like Google Now across the entire interface?

Talk to Faceless- I'm sure he has some good apps for you

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Nexus 4 also has the latest and greatest Qualcomm transceiver onboard, WTR1605L, which we’re going to talk at length about in another piece. It’s actually somewhat surprising to see the latest and greatest here considering the Nexus 4 doesn’t include LTE support, even though it does have the hardware for it on bands 4, 2, and 1 in theory.

This gives me hope for an LTE version, at least a couple of months down the line

Top Bottom