• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

NotBacon

Ok, so I've had the thing for a couple of days now and I'm really liking it. More impressions to come later. I do have a few questions. Sorry if they were addressed, but I must have missed when they were if they were.

Is there a quick settings widget that is working well for anybody? I used to use SwitchPro Widget on my Galaxy S2 and HTC One, but it's not working very well on the Nexus 6. Lots of toggles don't work, or they take me to a settings screen. I tried another one with similar results. Is this an issue with Lollipop? I just want to be able to, from my lock screen, toggle WiFi, data, flashlight, Silent/Vibration mode, and one or two other things. That's always been possible for me before.

When I press the volume down all the way, it goes to vibrate. Any way to go to silent? It used to be that you could go all the way down to vibrate, but if you went up one, it was silent mode. Up two put you at the lowest volume. I already miss this.

Do you know of any apps/sources that have any wallpapers that don't look like total puke when applied? I can't get a decent looking background up on this thing. Everything looks terrible, even pictures I take that look good when viewing them.

Power Toggles? I haven't tried it on Lollipop though, I don't see a need for it anymore. You should be able to access those things from the lock screen just by swiping down.

To put it on "silent", put it on Priority (with nothing set for interruption in sound settings), or None (but beware your alarm won't go off). Yes they need to fix this.

Stupid question time: Is the charging cable that comes with the phone required for the Turbo Charging or just the charger itself?

Sorry, still a noob with some things.

Jzero

Stupid question time: Is the charging cable that comes with the phone required for the Turbo Charging or just the charger itself?

Sorry, still a noob with some things.

It's just a micro USB cable, anything should work. The power Adapter is what matters.

gcubed

You may be correct. Here's Google's official statement :

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6102350?hl=en

Searching around, I'm still not sure. I would have to look at the quick charge spec. I think maybe as long as you get a higher awg USB cable it may be fine... But i don't know...

Edit...
Still looks like you only need a good quality cable (24awg instead of 28).

Searching around, people don't know shit about batteries

Jeff-DSA

Power Toggles? I haven't tried it on Lollipop though, I don't see a need for it anymore. You should be able to access those things from the lock screen just by swiping down.

To put it on "silent", put it on Priority (with nothing set for interruption in sound settings), or None (but beware your alarm won't go off). Yes they need to fix this.

Eh, Power Toggles doesn't work well with Lollipop.

This is ridiculous. I don't know why I can't, from the lock screen, without having to swipe and tap into settings, just do some simple changes to my settings. Even the widget on the home screen is busted. It all worked just dandy on my HTC One. I got really used to being able to do this stuff without a whole routine. You think with a big phone that they would make things take less movement and taps, not more.

I'm also really, really bugged about the removal of a standard silent mode.

I almost feel like it's a deal breaker right now. To remove such conveniences is asinine. I can't see any good reason why they've removed these options.

kinggroin

Banned
Searching around, I'm still not sure. I would have to look at the quick charge spec. I think maybe as long as you get a higher awg USB cable it may be fine... But i don't know...

Edit...
Still looks like you only need a good quality cable (24awg instead of 28).

Searching around, people don't know shit about batteries

If you can believe it, I found a 28/22 gauge micro USB cable. Though I'm certain it won't make a difference as the stock is already rated for what the phablet needs to draw from the brick.

kinggroin

Banned
Eh, Power Toggles doesn't work well with Lollipop.

This is ridiculous. I don't know why I can't, from the lock screen, without having to swipe and tap into settings, just do some simple changes to my settings. Even the widget on the home screen is busted. It all worked just dandy on my HTC One. I got really used to being able to do this stuff without a whole routine. You think with a big phone that they would make things take less movement and taps, not more.

I almost feel like it's a deal breaker right now. To remove such conveniences is asinine. I can't see any good reason why they've removed these options.

Priority mode is silent mode.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Is there any way to force YouTube to play at the highest resolution? It always goes to 720p and not 1080p...

Also, what wireless charging pad should I get?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone regret their purchase? Or are just underwhelmed? What phone did you come from?

Anyone regret their purchase? Or are just underwhelmed? What phone did you come from?

Came from using the Note 2 and loving the phone. The battery does drain quicker than my old phone, but it doesn't impede my regular usage. Love the larger screen and the phone being a lot more responsive in general. I can finally use the recent apps menu without the phone taking 5 seconds to bring it up.

Jeff-DSA

I'm irritated by a few things, but the phone is pretty great overall. I don't like the side buttons being so low. Lots of accidental presses, I really hate that Lollipop ruined the quick settings widgets. That sucks more than anything else. I'm also irritated about the Priority mode replacing Silent. Unless I'm looking at it wrong, I don't see how to continuing receiving all my notifications silently with vibrate off.

Button placement aside those are just Lollipop complaints.

I came from an HTC One.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm irritated by a few things, but the phone is pretty great overall. I don't like the side buttons being so low. Lots of accidental presses, I really hate that Lollipop ruined the quick settings widgets. That sucks more than anything else. I'm also irritated about the Priority mode replacing Silent. Unless I'm looking at it wrong, I don't see how to continuing receiving all my notifications silently with vibrate off.

Button placement aside those are just Lollipop complaints.

I came from an HTC One.
Yeah, those are just lollipop issues. How about battery life? Reception? Speakerphone quality?

Jeff-DSA

Yeah, those are just lollipop issues. How about battery life? Reception? Speakerphone quality?

Reception is better than my HTC, and the battery is great. Got up at 7:30 yesterday, used it through the day, including a few hours of podcasts and music, and when I went to bed last night at 3:00am, I still had around 40% battery.

I haven't tried the speakerphone, I never do anyway. The speakers on the phone are great, however.

NotBacon

Not even close. Battery life is amazing at 5+ hours SoT consistently, turbo charger is amazing for if I need more (haven't yet), screen is bright and crisp, speakers are ALMOST boomsound quality, Lollipop is sweet aside from the known bugs, reception is great because it's using that Moto X next-gen antenna system.

Phone of the year, hands down.

You can't access quick settings from the lock screen? Just swipe down.

Priority mode IS silent mode. Just adjust yourself.

npa189

Not at all, coming from a N5 which I already really liked. Once the bugs get ironed out it will be an awesome device. I am really impressed with Moto, last phone I hard from them was a razr.

todd360

Got to try a display model nexus 6 today for a good 30 seconds. Seemed way to big. I wish I could have put it in my pocket to see if it would fit, but it was attached to a cord so no one could steal it obviously. It seemed bright enough to me. Seemed like a really great phone. I'm just not sure about the size. We need a nexus 6 rental service to try it out for a few days lol. I've decided I want an Xperia though. I'm just gonna wait until the Z4 comes out. I want either that or a Z4 Compact. I also got to look at a display model Z3. That seemed huge as well. It wasn't a working model though. Just had a sticker on the screen. So I didn't get to see if I would mind the sony skin. Oh yeah the midnight blue nexus looked good in person other than the blurple sides. That kind of ruined it for me. Cloud White is definitely the way to go if you don't like blurple sides.

Bboy AJ

Alright, I think I'll get one. Mostly because I need to hand down my N5 because the N4 is getting long in the tooth.

It'll be interesting to see how long this phone will take to ship from TMobile as my order is still stuck on "Being Processed." Hopefully sometime before X-mas would be nice. =\

draetenth

Woohoo finally got my phone. It doesn't seem that big to me. I've never had a smartphone before. Are they any must have apps? Is there any changes I should be making to the settings to preserve battery life?

I did. Do not see it in Settings -> Apps -> All, which is where I assume it would be?

That's good. Looks like the T-Mobile Note 4 has the app.

These are the permissions it uses.

laY85tP.png

Cryst

If I buy the N6 from T-Mobile, I can still stick an AT&T nano-sim in there, right? Kinda given up on the Play Store or Motorola's web store, and I really don't want to deal with AT&T's branding BS.

kinggroin

Banned
If I buy the N6 from T-Mobile, I can still stick an AT&T nano-sim in there, right? Kinda given up on the Play Store or Motorola's web store, and I really don't want to deal with AT&T's branding BS.

you'll need to sign up for a line. Of course if you pay for the entirety of the phone outright, you can immediately cancel your service and keep the phone.

CronoShot

Still waiting on my 64GB from T-Mobile. Been almost two weeks since I ordered, and I ordered within a couple hours of it going live on their site :(

Top Bottom