• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

3rdman

Oh so I'll get to keep my current phone number? Sweeeeeeeet.

And how do you pay monthly?

If you haven't done it yet, I'd suggest you port your number to Google voice and simply use that for everything...going forward, you can jump to any carrier/service you want and just have all your calls go through GV.

Wreav

Banned
Quote from Kellen at Droid Life
This phone is big just to be big. Because big. Because bigger. Big all the things. Just big it. Bigger than bigger, than bigger.
That about sums it up.

Trouble

Banned
Went into the T-Mo store this morning since I literally cannot avoid walking past the one downtown twice a day this week... no demo models until launch day. Can't say I'm terribly surprised, but I really want to get some hands on time before I pull the trigger.

Battery life has been universally panned/hohum and the Anandtech review says it's worse than the Nexus 5.

I sincerely hope that it's due to the misc. battery drain bug that was fixed in the update that was pushed yesterday (all these reviews are from pre-final Lollipop).

I can attest that that bug has ruined my nexus 5 battery life as well.

The reviews are not sounding good.

Poor display brightness and poor battery life are major drawbacks.

Edit: Worse app loading performance than a Nexus 5 as well, going by a couple of reviews. :/

usea

Forget "afford," why pay $700+ with tax for a phone when you have no intention of leaving Verizon anyways (despite all their shittyness). That's just stupid.
Because month-to-month is cheaper than a contract, even counting phone subsidy. You'll pay less in the long run, AND you can leave if you want.

NotBacon

If you haven't done it yet, I'd suggest you port your number to Google voice and simply use that for everything...going forward, you can jump to any carrier/service you want and just have all your calls go through GV.

Because then i'd have to use hangouts and the hangouts dialer. Bleh.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Those Anand battery benchmarks are pretty disappointing. Could they be affected by the battery wifi bug that has since been fixed?

Because month-to-month is cheaper than a contract, even counting phone subsidy. You'll pay less in the long run, AND you can leave if you want.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but maybe I misunderstand how this stuff works. If I bought a phone on contract, I would pay $200 for the phone, $30 for an upgrade fee and then be locked into my contract for another two years. My price per month, however, doesn't change regardless of whether I'm on a contract or not (as I understand it). Am I missing something?

NotBacon

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but maybe I misunderstand how this stuff works. If I bought a phone on contract, I would pay $200 for the phone, $30 for an upgrade fee and then be locked into my contract for another two years. My price per month, however, doesn't change regardless of whether I'm on a contract or not (as I understand it). Am I missing something?

Non-contract prices are typically cheaper.

Example: I'm going onto a $30 per month T-mobile plan (5gb LTE data, unlimited text, 100min calls).

$30 x 24 months = 720 + 650 for phone = $1370.
$60(avg. for single line on contract) x 24 months = 1440 + 250 for phone = $1690.

TxdoHawk

Battery life has been universally panned/hohum and the Anandtech review says it's worse than the Nexus 5.

I sincerely hope that it's due to the misc. battery drain bug that was fixed in the update that was pushed yesterday (all these reviews are from pre-final Lollipop).

I can attest that that bug has ruined my nexus 5 battery life as well.

Yeah, not thrilled by what I've read. Really hope this is just the case of software not being quite there.

Wreav

Banned
After reading the reviews, the main draws sound like the front facing speakers and the screen size/OLED, if you're wanting a phablet. Everything else is average to poor.

I think when people get their N5 updated to 5.0, a lot of the upgrade fervor will vanish.

Kurdel

Banned
Ars technica review paints it as a pretty bad premium device.

Pink screen at lowest brightness would been a "-gate" on an iPhone.

pink.jpg

I wonder if the pink screen may be intentional, actually. Since it only comes on at the lowest brightness, using adaptive brightness in a dark room, it reminds me of f.lux on a PC; shifting the color gamut out of the blue spectrum to be easier on your eyes in the dark. They even say it's perfectly fine at any other brightness levels.

In my opinion, it seems to be getting a lot of undeserved hate. It's not PERFECT, but then again, it is cheaper than the truly top of the line phones. The Note 4 for instance is around $200 more. I suppose I'm coming from a mindset that's used to these premium-priced phones, though I've always bought on contract before and I can understand if those coming from the Nexus 5 are expecting everything to be perfect for the around, $300 price premium over the N5 I think?

It seems the main things to be aware of are: the display appears to be an older generation one, so less color accuracy, brightness, and power efficiency; the battery life is thus not the greatest, but is at least comparable to the HTC One M7 which I currently have; some reports of slow memory read times, which sound to me like it may be software-related; and the camera isn't TERRIBLE but isn't the best either.

All in all I think it's a bit unfair to call the entire phone bad. If you absolutely cannot charge your phone every day or every other day with light use, then I can see that being a problem. However, it does have the turbo charging and wireless charging capability to make charging painless and fast. The screen is hard to judge without actually seeing it myself, but it'll likely end up one of those things you can just adapt to unless you really need perfect color reproduction for whatever reason or use it outside a lot. I think most people will be happy with the camera performance judging from what I've seen, even if it's not the best; most people don't use phone cameras to their full capability anyway. The only real issue that concerns me are the read times, but hopefully that's something that can be fixed in an Android update.

I like the phone size from the cutout I made for myself in lieu of being able to get hands on time, and the pure Android L experience is just too much of a draw. I pretty much refuse to go back to a Samsung phone now so the Note 4 is out of the question for me, so I'm not regretting my choice. Also, dual front facing speakers. After using an HTC One you just can't go back.

hitsugi

You are kidding me.. we're still seeing "average camera" in reviews for a Nexus phone that costs nearly double it's predecessor? I can't believe it.

th3dude

camera and screen needs no bench mark. The side by side comparisons are pretty obvious just looking at them

Camera seems fine to me. All reports say better than the nexus 5, and I've always thought my nexus 5 has taken fine pictures. I don't take professional photos with my phone.

Seems the jury is still out on the screen. Verge said its beautiful, others not so much. Time will tell. And I agree with the poster above about min brightness.

I will never use an android device without stock android. Period.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You are kidding me.. we're still seeing "average camera" in reviews for a Nexus phone that costs nearly double it's predecessor? I can't believe it.

I read that too, but these photos from Droid life look pretty nice. I have an iPhone 6+ right now and love the camera, but the Nexu 6 ones don't look atrocious,

Just got a text from ATT letting me know my Order is processed and will ship soon. The initial email was that it was to be shipped on or before the 18th, so I guess release is iminent. Can't wait.

Really? I didn't get a text but the website says its, "Preparing for Ship" with a date varying from the 14th to the 18th. I hope it comes sooner than later!

Has anyone ordered a case yet? I know there isn't much to choose from but I got a temporary one for now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OH4HOOA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks good, IMO.

Some of us simply want nothing to do with TouchWiz or any other Android add-on, benchmarks be damned.

Like anything, I think it comes down to personal priorities. The Note is becoming more appealing to me now because I really love the notification LEDs, the ability to replace the battery and physical buttons. And now it seems clear that it has as good or better screen quality, battery life and camera. So Touchwiz sucks, obviously (I own a S3), but the plus column for the Note 4 is stacking up.

Haint

The reviews are not sounding good.

Poor display brightness and poor battery life are major drawbacks.

Edit: Worse app loading performance than a Nexus 5 as well, going by a couple of reviews. :/

No, the slow storage sounds like the major drawback. Ars said it's so slow the Nexus 5 seems faster. Moto dun goofed. Six hundred forty nine US dollars doesn't buy what it used to.

FinKL

hitsugi

I read that too, but these photos from Droid life look pretty nice. I have an iPhone 6+ right now and love the camera, but the Nexu 6 ones don't look atrocious,

I agree, and I would not say the shots I've from the N6 look bad. However, it was bested in low light by the N5? Again, the N5 camera isn't necessarily bad either and I used it for a year (but it did have absurd focus issues).

A lot has been said about Google's camera app, and that perhaps the apex of the camera issues are really on the software-side of things. That may very well be true, but if so, it's been true since the N5's launch and very little has been done to improve that.

The thing is, the tried and true reasoning of acceptable compromises based on perceived value through a low priced off-contract phone no longer exist here, and some people are going to be displeased.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I have super limited bandwidth, so can't tell + from - impressions.

Negatives include battery, screen, camera? How is that improved runtime performance for example?

It's funny how people took different things from the reviews.

Considering it stacks up very well against the Note 4 and costs $150 less with pure Android.. I call it successful.

The battery, screen and camera quibbles are pretty minor in my eyes from what the reviews said.. and the battery probably will get better with software fixes.

Husker86

Verizon (and all other carriers now) has non-contract prices on their mobile share plans. You save money by owning your phone outright.

NotBacon

Lol what the hell is going on in here?

Camera: Go look as some damn shots in the reviews. Anything but the darkest situations looks phenomenal. Downright beautiful pictures. Is it as good as a Note 4? Nope. Is it still amazing? Yep.

Battery: I'll attribute this to some unfinished bugs. How else could some users be reporting great battery life? MKBHD went so far as to say it was better than his Note 4.....

Display: Still up in the air about this one. Some are looking at the raw numbers and saying it's terrible, others are just plain using it day-to-day and say it's beautiful.

Camera: Go look as some damn shots in the reviews. Anything but the darkest situations looks phenomenal. Downright beautiful pictures. Is it as good as a Note 4? Nope. Is it still amazing? Yep.

Battery: I'll attribute this to some unfinished bugs. How else could some users be reporting great battery life? MKBHD went so far as to say it was better than his Note 4.....

Display: Still up in the air about this one. Some are looking at the raw numbers and saying it's terrible, others are just plain using it day-to-day and say it's beautiful.

I think I will still keep my order. The always on voice recognition is a killer app for me. And I will never buy a Samsung again.

My main two concerns

1) Display brightness - . My Note 2 is difficult to use outdoors, and the max brightness for the Nexus 6 is lower than that.

2) Slower loading of apps than the Nexus 5 - This shouldn't happen in a $650 phone.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

The three reviews I read all loved the phone. Seems like there are some things that will be made better by software updates (camera to a degree, battery) but overall seems like a great phone.

I'm hyped.

2) Slower loading of apps than the Nexus 5 - This shouldn't happen in a $650 phone.

The videos I didn't notice any delay really, maybe it's just something that on paper seems worse that it is?

clav

That's what's important for me in my next smartphone though.

Why does the Nexus continue to have shit cameras for low-light when there are other non-Android smartphones that take better pictures?

Wreav

Banned
Downright beautiful pictures. Is it still amazing? Yep.

Your low standards for mobile photography won't rub off on me! Is the N6 camera better than the N5? You bet. Is it anywhere NEAR amazing? Absolutely not.

Any Samsung camera from the S4 onwards looks better than these results. The G3 cam looks better. And let's not even talk about the shutter lag time.

Top Bottom