• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

aznpxdd

Well, kinda glad that the pre-order was such a cluster fuck that I wasn't able to get one.

So,

- terrible screen
- terrible battery (worse than Nexus 5's shit battery life according to Anand, really Google?)
- Meh camera, night shots worse than Nex 5's

Why is this thing $650 again?

gcubed

Well, kinda glad that the pre-order was such a cluster fuck that I wasn't able to get one.

So,

- terrible screen
- terrible battery (worse than Nexus 5's shit battery life according to Anand, really Google?)

The night shots won't stay worse, there is no possible way the camera in the 6 is worse in low light than the 5, that's a software issue.

Screen is disappointing but expected, moto isn't big enough to warrant brands new Samsung displays.

It's 650 because it's on carriers.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

So,

- terrible screen

I think you are a biiiiiiiiit overreacting. I read three reviews today and all of them loved the phone and said it's the best Android out. The screen is fine, the battery is a bit worse than the Note, but that could be a software fix and the camera will get better now that the sdk is open.

We'll see, but I'm still excited.

Is the Note 4's camera the camera to beat now? I thought the iPhone camera still won out?

iPhone Plus camera is pretty damn amazing from my use, I'd really like to the Note 4 in action if it's that good

And why is the battery so bad on the nexus 6 if it has such a huge battery?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Damn, I love my Note 3 (work phone) but the Samsung OS annoys the hell out of me too much to carry it as my personal device. On the other hand, all these reviews of the Nexus 6 are quite disheartening and don't make the device seem worth the upped price tag and size.

I'm probably just going to stick with my Nexus 5 for the time being since it just feels like the perfect package to me right now.

clav

Can the screen issues be improved via software updates?

I think the screen is just adding f.lux for phones. Something that I think I would appreciate.

Between this phone or Note 4, which phone?

Can't believe Android doesn't have anything comparable to the high-end Lumia camera or iPhone.

hitsugi

The night shots won't stay worse, there is no possible way the camera in the 6 is worse in low light than the 5, that's a software issue.

Screen is disappointing but expected, moto isn't big enough to warrant brands new Samsung displays.

It's 650 because it's on carriers.

Don't put too much faith in Google magically fixing the N6's current camera shortcomings via software. While the stock camera app is a complete joke, and there may be some issues that can be ironed out - remember the N5.

Remember how its IQ and focus regressed over the course of a year in favor of trying to improve shutter speeds. I do.

Haint

Can the screen issues be improved via software updates?

The pink can, maybe the max brightness (as it's slow low, it may be some sort of power savings measure), but not the color or grayscale. Those vary from panel to panel and to make generalized sweeping changes will make some worse and some better.

Get a One Plus One or Note 4.
I'm tempted by a OnePlus One. Do you think a stock Android 5.0 ROM will be released for it? They released one for 4.4.4. I don't mind CyanogenMod, but I'd rather go stock if possible.

Mind you, after updating my Nexus 5 to Android 5.0 earlier, it kinda feels like a new phone. I might stick with it for another year as it does everything I need it to do well enough.

gcubed

Don't put too much faith in Google magically fixing the N6's current camera shortcomings via software. While the stock camera app is a complete joke, and there may be some issues that can be ironed out - remember the N5.

Remember how its IQ and focus regressed over the course of a year in favor of trying to improve shutter speeds. I do.

My main point is that an f/2 lens is not going to have worse low light then an f/2.4

I'm tempted by a OnePlus One. Do you think a stock Android 5.0 ROM will be released for it? They released one for 4.4.4. I don't mind CyanogenMod, but I'd rather go stock if possible.

Mind you, after updating my Nexus 5 to Android 5.0 earlier, it kinda feels like a new phone. I might stick with it for another year as it does everything I need it to do well enough.

A stock rom should be released I'd imagine. If not by One Plus, then by someone else. They already have a stock L rom out http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/development/rom-cm12-daily-builds-gapps-t2937887

No Cyanogen features have been added yet so it's mostly stock.

hitsugi

My main point is that an f/2 lens is not going to have worse low light then an f/2.4

Oh, yeah. I'm stunned by the present results myself. Hopefully with Google (finally) opening up the camera API, someone will take care of things this time around.

I think the screen is just adding f.lux for phones. Something that I think I would appreciate.

Can't believe Android doesn't have anything comparable to the high-end Lumia camera or iPhone.

I'd upgrade from my 920 to a 1030 5.2-5.5 inch screen and similar specs to the nexus 6 :p

I've really enjoyed windows phone from it's inception, but the last year, i've been just getting tired of waiting on Microsoft.

Don't know if it's a the grass is greener on the other side of the fence thing, but i just want something new to play with haha

Looks like the nexus 6 is a flop, figured as much. I've always attributed the nexus like to mid-high end hardware for 1/2 the price of the other flagship phones. Been rocking the n5 for about a year now and I really want something with better battery life. Real tempted to go with the Z3 now that I know the N6 isn't a worthy option (that and I really thought it was too damn big to begin with)

XBP

Looks like the nexus 6 is a flop, figured as much. I've always attributed the nexus like to mid-high end hardware for 1/2 the price of the other flagship phones. Been rocking the n5 for about a year now and I really want something with better battery life. Real tempted to go with the Z3 now that I know the N6 isn't a worthy option (that and I really thought it was too damn big to begin with)

How is it a flop?

th3dude

Haha.

Reading the comments to the reviews (here included) has been entertaining to say the least.

If you take the time to read the reviews, you'll see that the talking points are mostly not true or exaggerated.

Other issues can possibly be attributed to software issues (is pre release software - remember the big WiFi drain bug that was just fixed?). Granted not all things can be fixed, so time will tell.

But, you know, it's a flop :)

Drifters

So much salt.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Premium price for a premium experience.

XBP

Premium price for a premium experience.

Premium price? The device is priced the same as every other smartphone in the market. How is this a premium price when flagships from apple and samsung sell for a lot more than the N6?

NotBacon

Premium price? The device is priced the same as every other smartphone in the market. How is this a premium price when flagships from apple and samsung sell for a lot more than the N6?

Because he's grasping for straws to hate on the Nexus 6

aznpxdd

I think you are a biiiiiiiiit overreacting. I read three reviews today and all of them loved the phone and said it's the best Android out. The screen is fine, the battery is a bit worse than the Note, but that could be a software fix and the camera will get better now that the sdk is open.

We'll see, but I'm still excited.

Pretty sure none of the review has said Nexus 6 is anywhere near the best Android phone out?

The screen's brightness is a dim as hell, and the battery is lasting 4 less hours compared to Anandtech, that's not a bit...

Seems like Google just continues to put crap battery and camera in their Nexus line. This was kinda accepted since 4 and 5 were half of other flagships, but this...

iavi

Pretty sure none of the review has said Nexus 6 is anywhere near the best Android phone out?

The screen's brightness is a dim as hell, and the battery is lasting 4 less hours compared to Anandtech, that's not a bit...

Seems like Google just continues to put crap battery and camera in their Nexus line. This was kinda accepted since 4 and 5 were half of other flagships, but this...

A few of them say that actually, The Verge included.

Slow-access ram is my only real hold-up with the phone, and that's since been shown to probably be a software issue that could be fixed with a patch, so the N6 is looking strong.

aznpxdd

A few of them say that actually, The Verge included.

Slow-access ram is my only real hold-up with the phone, and that's since been shown to probably be a software issue that could be fixed with a patch, so the N6 is looking strong.

I don't get it, are people magically just ignoring the fact that Nexus 6 has a mediocre battery, screen, and camera? Why are people taking Verge's opinion over the facts/numbers presented by Anandtech??!

I'm not even trying to be picky, and those 3 are pretty HUGE factors in picking a smartphone nowadays.

I love my Nexus 5, but I'm not gonna pick up a 6 up if the battery is even worse than Nexus 5's horrendous battery life.

I love my Nexus 5, but I'm not gonna pick up a 6 up if the battery is even worse than Nexus 5's horrendous battery life.
In GSM Arena's battery test, this is how the Nexus 5 and 6 fared: -

Talk time: -

Nexus 5 - 16 hours, 40 minutes
Nexus 6 - 25 hours, 3 minutes

Web browsing: -

Nexus 5 - 4 hours, 45 minutes
Nexus 6 - 7 hours, 54 minutes

Video playback: -

Nexus 5 - 6 hours, 6 minutes
Nexus 6 - 10 hours, 1 minute

PhoneArena's test result: -

We measure battery life by running a custom web-script, designed to replicate the power consumption of typical real-life usage.

Nexus 5 - 4 hours, 50 minutes
Nexus 6 - 7 hours, 53 minutes

iavi

I don't get it, are people magically just ignoring the fact that Nexus 6 has a mediocre battery, screen, and camera? Why are people taking Verge's opinion over the facts/numbers presented by Anandtech??!

I'm not even trying to be picky, and those 3 are pretty HUGE factors in picking a smartphone nowadays.

Anandtech's scathing battery measurements don't seem to be matching up with everyone else's at all. Other outlets are reporting that it lasts for well over a day, and into a second. I'm wondering who's right on that. I usually trust Anand, but it's JUST them saying this about the N6.

e; like above

RedFyn

Gizmodo said:
The Nexus 6 is fucking huge. It's also the best big phone I've ever used. Hell, it's one of the best phones I've ever touched. I never want to give it up. It's that good.

There's one. Let's play a little game and see if you can actually read the reviews and find the other ones. There are more.

NotBacon

I don't get it, are people literally not reading the reviews? Are they ignoring the fact that not reading the reviews leads to misinformation? Why are people talking out of their ass without reading the reviews??!

aznpxdd

There's one. Let's play a little game and see if you can actually read the reviews and find the other ones. There are more.

Maybe you should read it yourself, best big phone.

I don't get it, are people literally not reading the reviews? Are they ignoring the fact that not reading the reviews leads to misinformation? Why are people talking out of their ass without reading the reviews??!

What the hell? Essentially every review is saying the battery life is mediocre and last "just enough for a day", which is much weaker than Note 4's at the same size. Screen being lackluster compared to Note 4's is said in almost every review also? Same goes for camera? I don't know what reviews you guys are reading.

Its just that every review ends with a nice 8. something even with all the issues mentioned before.

The camera is not medicore. Its not at iphone or samsung's level but its not the worst camera in the market.

Since when did mediocre means the worst? It ain't the best, but its fine, isn't that what mediocre means?

XBP

Anand and Ars are the only real outliers here. Every other outlet has said that the device's battery is pretty decent and comparable to modern flagships. Not the best but certainly not the worst. MKBHD also mentioned that he is getting better battery life from the N6 than every other phablet he has.

The camera is not medicore. Its not at iphone or samsung's level but its not the worst camera in the market.

EDIT:

Some quotes from various wesbites:

Phonearena:

In all fairness, the 13-megapixel camera of the Nexus 6 is an all-around solid performer – we wouldn’t go far to say that it’s a cut above its rivals, but at the very least, its quality is highly competitive.

Anand:

In this first test the Nexus 6 performs very well. I would say it produced the best overall image of the four devices I tested.In this next test we have the same scene at a later time of day with less natural lighting. The performance of the iPhone 6 approaches the Nexus 6 due to its larger sensor pixels giving it an edge in low light circumstances, but the Nexus 6 still maintains an overall higher level of detail and sharpness, particularly on the trees.The last test we perform is a highly controlled test scene with generous lighting and different textures to see how well the Nexus 6 is able to capture detail in something of a best case scenario. In this case the Nexus 6 once again provided the best sharpness and detail preservation of all the devices I tested. You'll have to take my word for this, but it again was the only phone that got the white balance spot on.

ArsTech:

The 13MP camera of the Nexus 6 does a decent job with photographs. We wouldn't call it one of the best cameras out there, though. It's not as good in low light as a Note 4 or iPhone, but in daylight or indoor lighting, it can hold its own.

Android 5.0 promises lots of camera improvements, but the Nexus 6 doesn't seem to be taking advantage of them yet. There's no support for outputting RAW images in the stock software, and none of the new manual controls like exposure and ISO are here. For that, you have to download a third-party app. We get the feeling Google isn't done with the Nexus 6's camera just yet.

GSMArena:

The image quality of the Nexus 6 is quite good. There's a great deal of detail in good lighting, though slightly overly aggressive noise reduction in the shadows eradicates much of it. Colors are pleasingly rendered, and contrast is good. Dynamic range is about average.
We've seen more mature image processing, but, overall, Nexus 6 is among the better cameraphones out there. It will deliver consistently good images, that's without a doubt.

DroidLife:

I won’t even hesitate to say that this is the best smartphone camera we have seen to date from Google. It’s not even close, actually. But the real question is, is it better or at least as good as the other really good smartphone cameras out there? I tend to believe that it is after spending the last couple of weeks shooting photos in a variety of situations.

sca2511

I thought I read that the Xperia Z2 bested the 5s camera. According to DxOmark, the S5 and the Z3/Z2 are just behind the iP6 and iP6+(the current top two).

RedFyn

Maybe you should read it yourself, best big phone.
My apologies, I figured 5 sentences would be short enough. Here is one sentence. I'll even bold the part you should pay attention to
Hell, it's one of the best phones I've ever touched.

In case you forgot this is what you said;

Ignoring the fact that it's the best big phone in the reviewers opinion (which means that if he's used the note 4 and iPhone 6+ he believes the nexus 6 is better) this is still one of the best phones the reviewer has ever touched.

giga

My apologies, I figured 5 sentences would be short enough. Here is one sentence. I'll even bold the part you should pay attention to

In case you forgot this is what you said;

Ignoring the fact that it's the best big phone in the reviewers opinion (which means that if he's used the note 4 and iPhone 6+ he believes the nexus 6 is better) this is still one of the best phones the reviewer has ever touched.
He didn't say it was the best big phone: "Compared to other big phones, the Nexus 6 is great, but not the undisputed champ."

And I can't believe we're talking about gizmodo here. Let's focus on better publications.

Lulu23

On a related note:

If I were to buy a 32GB black Nexus 5 now that the 6's reviews are a little disappointing, where would I do that?

I live in Germany by the way. Google is out of stock, Amazon only has shitty marketplace sellers listet and I haven't found one in retail yet. Would also like the latest hardware iteration, new of course.

Does anybody know?

hohoXD123

The reviews seem positive, but also point out that the Note 4 is better in those three areas. Also, Camera, smoothness, and Battery should get quite a bit better on Note 4 in a few weeks (months?) once they get the Lollipop upgrade.

Worse than Note 4 does not mean bad. If you really hate Touchwiz then Nexus 6 seems like a great option. For those that don't hate Touchwiz and want SD card or better battery life then Note 4 seems like a great option. I think I'll hold pat until next year's phablets.

From the sounds of the engadget review, touchwiz seems a lot more suited to phablets than vanilla 5.0.

Enco

Ars technica review paints it as a pretty bad premium device.

Pink screen at lowest brightness would been a "-gate" on an iPhone.

pink.jpg
Ouch that looks awful.

Yea if this was on a more popular device, shit would be hitting the fan.

I don't know anyone who cares for Nexus devices though. Let alone 6 inch ones.

LogicStep

Still waiting on Best Buy to get the phone. I'm going from an S3 so to me, none of these things matter. I just want stock android, everything else is already miles better than my phone. :)

Syntsui

I read that it's slower than nexus 5? How can this even be possible with much higher specs??? Ridiculous if true, unacceptable.

JordanKZ

Ouch that looks awful.

Yea if this was on a more popular device, shit would be hitting the fan.

I don't know anyone who cares for Nexus devices though. Let alone 6 inch ones.

I bet it's completely intentional. At lowest brightness, it's be very difficult to see anything on an AMOLED screen like the one the the 6 uses.

As for the camera, Google aren't even taking advantage of their own API's yet. We will see huge leaps for the Nexus 6 (and 5) in the coming months. If they don't, someone else will.

I read that it's slower than nexus 5? How can this even be possible with much higher specs??? Ridiculous if true, unacceptable.

Forced encryption will do that. Hopefully it'll improve with updates. We're already on the third update for the Nexus 9 and performance finally feels acceptable.

Nexus 6 comes with encryption enabled and no way to turn it off. This makes the device run slower.

Also, the only real negative from the reviews is the dim screen.

Battery reports are all over the place from worse than the N5 to multiple reports of a day and half, which makes me think it had to do with two known bugs in pre-final Lollipop: the WiFi drain and miscellaneous battery drain. Both of those were present on the N5 preview and whenever I got them it would wreck my battery life. So, it is very possible that one or both were in the pre-final N6 software. We know for a fact that reviewers got, at least, two OTA's during their review process.

And the camera, that's 100% software. The sensor in the N6 is excellent, but the stock camera app doesnt even take advantage of the new APIs. Either Google will fix it or 3rd party apps will.

TxdoHawk

Yeah, I would be really curious to see reviewers revisit the battery life benchmarks in an update or two from now.

That said, I'm still on board I think. Part of me just wants to get a Note 4, but I hate TouchWiz...and while I've flashed custom ROMs to Android phones repeatedly over the years, I hate dealing with the constant churn of "Is this dev's ROM better than this other one? If I update this dev's ROM to fix one thing I need fixed, will it break five other things?"

Top Bottom