• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

That said, logic would probably say that I should get a Note, given the superior hardware (camera, screen) and tablet-like functionality. My issue? I'm a software snob. As a software developer by trade, I absolutely cannot stand how the 3rd parties taint (in my opinion) the design of stock Android. Google spends a lot of time and money on developing Android, and that's how I want to use it.

So a Nexus 6 will be for me.

I'm pretty much feeling the same way now. Lots of fuss gets made about stats and hardware with phones, but at the end of the day you can get even a middle of the road phone like the Moto X and it'll be more than capable of handling everyday tasks. I'd rather have a rock solid user experience than the satisfaction of knowing I have great hardware.

Anandtech puts the battery on part with my current HTC One which usually lasts me two days with light use, and a full day with heavier use, so the battery's fine for me. I don't take many pictures and am no photographer so I don't need the best camera, just one that lacks the purple tint in low light of my HTC One. I always keep my brightness way down too, so that shouldn't bother me either. Hopefully something comes out to disable encryption and improve read speeds, but if not I can deal with it knowing there's at least a reason it's slower.

I understand where people are coming from when they say that a $650 phone shouldn't have these issues, but the way I see it is that the Nexus 6 really only has two competitors, the Note 4 and the iPhone 6 Plus. OnePlus One too I suppose, if you can actually get one and don't mind the bad support. The Nexus 5 and such aren't even in the same category; you either want a big phone or you don't. Between this and the Note 4, the N6 is $150-$200 cheaper, has somewhat worse harder, but a far better user experience. The Note 4 has better hardware, but you give up the better software for it.

I want a big phone and prefer pure Android to hardware improvements that don't even matter too much to me, so Nexus 6 it is.

Nitsuj23

I'm pretty much feeling the same way now. Lots of fuss gets made about stats and hardware with phones, but at the end of the day you can get even a middle of the road phone like the Moto X and it'll be more than capable of handling everyday tasks. I'd rather have a rock solid user experience than the satisfaction of knowing I have great hardware.

Anandtech puts the battery on part with my current HTC One which usually lasts me two days with light use, and a full day with heavier use, so the battery's fine for me. I don't take many pictures and am no photographer so I don't need the best camera, just one that lacks the purple tint in low light of my HTC One. I always keep my brightness way down too, so that shouldn't bother me either. Hopefully something comes out to disable encryption and improve read speeds, but if not I can deal with it knowing there's at least a reason it's slower.

I understand where people are coming from when they say that a $650 phone shouldn't have these issues, but the way I see it is that the Nexus 6 really only has two competitors, the Note 4 and the iPhone 6 Plus. OnePlus One too I suppose, if you can actually get one and don't mind the bad support. The Nexus 5 and such aren't even in the same category; you either want a big phone or you don't. Between this and the Note 4, the N6 is $150-$200 cheaper, has somewhat worse harder, but a far better user experience. The Note 4 has better hardware, but you give up the better software for it.

I want a big phone and prefer pure Android to hardware improvements that don't even matter too much to me, so Nexus 6 it is.
This. I've had a couple Samsung phones in the past (Note 2 and S4) and ended up selling both in favor of a Nexus 5 and eventually the OPO. I snagged a white N6 from Moto's site on Wednesday and can't wait. The reviews are so mixed and none of them had time to incorporate the day 1 update that was pushed. I may be being overly hopeful but I think that should fix some issues and I'm sure they will continue to refine the OS. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

clav

I feel like the Moto G would be the biggest competitor since it would fulfill all the requirements of stock Android easily.

RedFyn

So that means that list is incomplete or biased.
That list will never be complete. Ever. And there is no way to prove bias. What it means is that is how the phones they have compared stack up against each other.

I may be being overly hopeful but I think that should fix some issues and I'm sure they will continue to refine the OS. Can't wait to get my hands on it!
Don't forget they have a week (I'm assuming you're getting it around the 19) to continue to fix things.

Personally I do not care what the phone is like right now. All I care about is what the phone is like on the 19th.

Nitsuj23

Estimated delivery of December 2nd actually. It's not too bad, but I'm really hoping that's a latest possible scenario. Knowing this launch I'll be lucky to get the thing by Christmas. I wanted 64GB but was so happy to see white available I had to pull the trigger on the 32GB version. I did monitor the Play Store and Moto's site the rest of the day, though, and I never saw a white 64GB pop up. The 32GB went out of stock not very long after I bought it so I'm pretty happy with that decision at least.

dc89

I don't think I have ever been more conflicted on a device.

I would post a gif of that guy doing the conflicted look, but I don't know what its called lol.

Unsure-Larry-David.gif

I actually liked the notification LED, sad that they took it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCYMABjCt3c

Also, my credit card was charged so hopefully it will ship early.

Google Play, I assume? From my experience, they sometimes take a day or two to ship after charging. But, you have a good chance of getting a shipment notice today (tho, it might just be the label was printed).

Motorola.com shipped their orders, and they're directly coming from China.

th3dude

Orders from Motorola seem to be shipping. I didn't order until this past week and my estimated date is Dec 2 so it seems like things are happening!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Question about getting the Nexus 6 through AT&T. If I get it through them, will I get updates as quickly as I have with my Nexus 5 that I bought directly from Google? I have read conflicting reports, so figured you guys would have a better idea.

CronoShot

Question about getting the Nexus 6 through AT&T. If I get it through them, will I get updates as quickly as I have with my Nexus 5 that I bought directly from Google? I have read conflicting reports, so figured you guys would have a better idea.
I believe the Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and Sprint did. I think they were the same model as the Google Play version, just not unlocked.

Nitsuj23

Orders from Motorola seem to be shipping. I didn't order until this past week and my estimated date is Dec 2 so it seems like things are happening!

I have the same estimated delivery, purchased two days ago. Did yours ship already or are you talking about people who ordered via Moto last week?

My card did get charged, but the funds are just pending so who knows.

It remains to be seen with AT&T, but it seems like it might be the same as the others.

I believe the Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and Sprint did. I think they were the same model as the Google Play version, just not unlocked.

The T-Mobile and Sprint versions were both unlocked and got updates from Google.

Not going to buy till mkbhd review

Today, according to his Twitter.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So my Nexus comes Weds so I decided to put my iPhone on ebay today since the bidding time is a week, set it at $750 to start with a buy it now at $1000 figuring no one would do that. It sold 35 min later for $1000.

Apparently I should have set it higher.

I'll end up paying for Nexus 6 and making $320 on top of it by selling my iPhone 6 Plus. :p

Hey, it could be worse! I'm going to try and get in an order with T-Mob on the 19th and there's no assurances I'll succeed.
We're in this waiting game together. Although I don't know if I should wait until black Friday/cyber Monday for some great deals.

Did Nexus' in the past get a flash deal during these shopping days?

ILoveBish

With it being so overpriced on contract, only blue color which I do not want and no word from Verizon, I think I'm going to settle with a note 4. If a black Friday deal comes along for the note 4, I'll be making the plunge. Just cannot stand how bad nexus launches are, just awful.

th3dude

I have the same estimated delivery, purchased two days ago. Did yours ship already or are you talking about people who ordered via Moto last week?

My card did get charged, but the funds are just pending so who knows.

Talking about others. No shipping here.

clav

For Sprint users, the Nexus 6 may be an important consideration over any phone right now due to its supported LTE bands.

Some of you may strongly reconsider your phone choices.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/...opia-a-sort-of-sprint-holiday-shopping-guide/

To begin, the Motorola Nexus 6 ends up being the first fully CCA/RRPP compliant LTE handset -- supporting domestic LTE bands 2/4/5/12/25/26/41 -- and, for good measure, adding in LTE bands 7/13/17 for use in Canada, on VZW, and on AT&T. S4GRU first reported that CCA/RRPP band abundance of the supposed Sprint variant 2014 Motorola X a few months ago, but for unknown reasons, that handset never saw the light of day after it passed through the FCC OET. Its Motorola brother, which suffers from the hormonal disorder gigantism, though, picks up that slack and then some.

Yes, the Nexus 6 represents a gigantic increase in size and price -- a curious decision if there ever was one. But it does appear to hold up its very large end of the bargain in RF prowess, maxing out in the roughly the 20-26 dBm range across all supported LTE bands. That is pretty good performance, particularly for band 41, which appears to enjoy an approximately 3 dBi antenna gain. This projects to be the strong performer that many had hoped for based on Motorola's RF reputation.

It looks like no other Sprint handset will do this until probably next year.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
691091lsla.png

Yup, Tegra is shit.

I don't even understand these tests. How the hell do you get 9 hours of battery life when browsing on any normal phone? Is this done with the screen turned off or something? How do you browse without a screen?

Maybe I should actually read some of these reviews to understand what's going on.

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't even understand these tests. How the hell do you get 9 hours of battery life when browsing on any normal phone? Is this done with the screen turned off or something? How do you browse without a screen?

Maybe I should actually read some of these reviews to understand what's going on.

The anandtech battery test was changed for the iPhone 5. I think it doesn't accurately reflects real world usage (it certainly doesn't reflect my usage) and now I rely on gsmarena's battery ratings instead.

Top Bottom