• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

NotBacon

Nexus 6 comes with encryption enabled and no way to turn it off. This makes the device run slower.

Also, the only real negative from the reviews is the dim screen.

Battery reports are all over the place from worse than the N5 to multiple reports of a day and half, which makes me think it had to do with two known bugs in pre-final Lollipop: the WiFi drain and miscellaneous battery drain. Both of those were present on the N5 preview and whenever I got them it would wreck my battery life. So, it is very possible that one or both were in the pre-final N6 software. We know for a fact that reviewers got, at least, two OTA's during their review process.

And the camera, that's 100% software. The sensor in the N6 is excellent, but the stock camera app doesnt even take advantage of the new APIs. Either Google will fix it or 3rd party apps will.

Facts? gtfo of here with those

Syntsui

Nexus 6 comes with encryption enabled and no way to turn it off. This makes the device run slower.

Battery reports are all over the place from worse than the N5 to multiple reports of a day and half, which makes me think it had to do with two known bugs in pre-final Lollipop: the WiFi drain and miscellaneous battery drain. Both of those were present on the N5 preview and whenever I got them it would wreck my battery life. So, it is very possible that one or both were in the pre-final N6 software. We know for a fact that reviewers got, at least, two OTA's during their review process.

And the camera, that's 100% software. The sensor in the N6 is excellent, but the stock camera app doesnt even take advantage of the new APIs. Either Google will fix it or 3rd party apps will.

Still, it is ridiculous. How come they release a device as slow as Nexus 4? The phone is a monster with the best processor and best memory, no one that paid US$650,00 for it would expect a worse performance than Nexus 5. This is scandalous, I didn't even buy it and I'm sick.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Pretty sure none of the review has said Nexus 6 is anywhere near the best Android phone out?

The screen's brightness is a dim as hell, and the battery is lasting 4 less hours compared to Anandtech, that's not a bit...

Seems like Google just continues to put crap battery and camera in their Nexus line. This was kinda accepted since 4 and 5 were half of other flagships, but this...

The Verge's video review said the Nexus 6 was the best Android phone I believe.

Dim screen is unacceptable to me. Really destroys any merit to the screen if it's ridiculously dim. Ruined the GS4 for me. Very happy with my bright as **** M7. At least Samsungs been making progress in shoring up AMOLED's weaknesses.

Wreav

Banned
Dim screen is unacceptable to me. Really destroys any merit to the screen if it's ridiculously dim. Ruined the GS4 for me. Very happy with my bright as **** M7. At least Samsungs been making progress in shoring up AMOLED's weaknesses.

I hear you. The S5's screen was so much better than the S4...can't believe the N6 is back to S4 levels.

NotBacon

Interestingly enough, plenty of reviews are saying the screen is plenty bright (except in direct sunlight), and it has to do with a setting called "Adaptive Display".

*shrug*

Interestingly enough, plenty of reviews are saying the screen is plenty bright (except in direct sunlight), and it has to do with a setting called "Adaptive Display".

*shrug*

I'm reserving judgement till I see it in person, but Anandtech measured it at an extremely disappointing 258 nits, and Phone Arena at 270 nits.

I don't put too much stock in reviewers saying an AMOLED display is "bright" anymore after reading the reviews then subsequently owning the Galaxy S4. It got "bright" comments all the time, and not a single one I ever came across mentioned the screen being dim. Low and behold, compared to my friend's M7, it was literally half as bright when set to Auto (and got comparable screen on times at that lower brightness).

wachie

That shitty battery life, yup a Tegra.
691091lsla.png

Yup, Tegra is shit.

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^ It's not a Tegra, but a regular S805 found on many other phones. The big issue seems to be the dim, power hungry screen.

My main point is that an f/2 lens is not going to have worse low light then an f/2.4

Bad camera software fucks that up as usual.
Brandon Chester (Anandtech review) said:
I was only able to get exposure time up to 1/12th of a second which is somewhat fast for a device with OIS. The Nexus 5 wasn't shy about going up to 1/6th of a second if it needed to.
With half the exposure time it now gets as much light as the Nexus 5 would with a 2.8 lens. 1/12th is fast enough for handheld on phones without OIS unless you have shaky hands.

I find aperture in phone cameras to be overrated. You can't change it so brighter lenses will amplify the imperfections (tons of phones have a soft side due to poor quality control) and the poor low light performance usually has more to do with software exposure time, OIS, sensor tech and noise reduction.

Anandtech's Nexus 6 unit has some serious lens imperfections. I've downscaled this crop to one quarter the size and it's still clear as day.
UiZRSkS.png

I can't find the same in other reviews so even though it looks like compex field curvature it's probably some manufacturing error. I've yet to find a review with good shots to test sharpness though other than maybe GSMArena's shots which looked ok. None of the scenes have uniform patterns either so it's hard to tell if one area is soft because the of an optical error or the processing went nuts on that specific pattern. Branches work quite well, but small leaves get turned into modern art on most smartphones.
Brandon Chester (Anandtech review) said:
However, I did notice an issue with the output from the Nexus 6, which is a concerning amount of blur in the section of branches that is to the right of the centre of the image, but not at the very right edge of the frame. I took several photos and even repeated the test on a different day, but the issue persisted.

NotBacon

I'm reserving judgement till I see it in person, but Anandtech measured it at an extremely disappointing 258 nits, and Phone Arena at 270 nits.

I don't put too much stock in reviewers saying an AMOLED display is "bright" anymore after reading the reviews then subsequently owning the Galaxy S4. It got "bright" comments all the time, and not a single one I ever came across mentioned the screen being dim. Low and behold, compared to my friend's M7, it was literally half as bright when set to Auto (and got comparable screen on times at that lower brightness).

I'll post results when mine arrives, but a heads up there might be a little bias, I live in the PNW where sunlight is a rarity in the winter :p

Kathian

Banned
Whoops, you are right. My bad.

Phew! Reading rest of reviews when home from work. I hate the core Sammy apps but honestly the multi tasking is such a big part of it.

I don't think it's managed it even though I was hyped for the front speakers and bigger screen.

Except, the web browsing time it shows there does match up to Anandtech's. I think people are missing that Anandtech's chart is specifically web browsing, with wifi and the screen on. Those are what kill the battery life on this phone apparently, but judging by the video playback rating on that benchmark I do wonder if these review units were affected by a wifi battery drain bug.

tfur

The only problem I see with the N6 is that is has not shipped yet.

Not at all worried about the battery life. It has a hefty amp rating, and all issues are use case based and always get better with time and software enhancements. Also, the battery tests are so nebulous, because of distance, channel, bands, vendor frequency type, use types etc.

The AMOLED pixel density is awesome. Looking forward to the amoled based screen alerts. My wife has a moto x, and its a pretty awesome feature. I hope this phone has all of the moto x features of talking to you for who is calling and letting you speak to it etc? Moto X phones are pretty amazing with these added features.

NotBacon

GSM Arena said:
The display's brightness is impressive too, as is its contrast. Viewing angles are great you will be able to easily share your content with other people.

Like most AMOLED units out there, the one found in the Nexus 6 boasts slightly over saturated colors. The latter are not as accurate as those produced by IPS displays, but are nevertheless enjoyable.

Sunlight legibility is excellent. Users will be able to view their content even in places with bright light.

hmmmm

Ty4on

Ty4on

So they put the Nexus 6 on full brightness, then?

I've seen way worse :p

The PSVita max is 115nits and I steered my parents away from an otherwise decent laptop with max 105 and I don't dare think what the worst in a consumer product is.

200nits is fairly bright though and Anand has commented that the battery testing would at times hurt his eyes. I wish lowest brightness was tested more because I use my phone (way too much) in darkness.

todd360

I don't think I have ever been more conflicted on a device.

I would post a gif of that guy doing the conflicted look, but I don't know what its called lol.

hitsugi

ahem

all the reputable places have it coming in it low. places with weird results like 'Nexus 4 has good battery' life have it high.

To say the N4 has good battery life is not a weird result.. it's straight up bullshit. Never thought I would see a time when I side with you on a Nexus device. I remember you in the N4 and N5 threads, both phones which I purchased...

...and well, now I have an iPhone 6.

ahem

all the reputable places have it coming in it low. places with weird results like 'Nexus 4 has good battery' life have it high.

This time last year, the tables were turned. GSM Arena had battery results for the Nexus 5 that were average/in line with the general consensus, but Anandtech had results that put it well above average, including besting the iPhone 5S and other high-end phones in some areas.

Point is, not everyone gets it right all the time, and synthetic benchmarks are imperfect.

th3dude

I'd rather use stock lolli for 70 hours than Touchwiz for 87.

ACgMRnq.gif

In all seriousness though, we really shouldn't be bashing each other.

In terms of battery, we are simply not going to see anything groundbreaking until the next advance in battery technology. We are pretty much on a straight battery size > battery life line right now, barring bad software implementations.

With current battery technology, I simply want a device that will get me through a day of moderate to heavy use with a little juice to spare, that's all. I don't expect 2 days because that simply isn't feasible on a non-tablet device.

The Note 4 and the Nexus 6 are vastly different beasts. Samsung seems to do a hell of a job with using the latest and greatest hardware. There software, while adding a lot of features (especially 'phablet' specific features), to me leaves a lot to be desired. I've always found it clunky to use. However, I've never given it much of a chance, admittedly.

For my use case, I'm consolidating a Nexus 5 and an iPad 4 to a Nexus 6 (assuming I like the device). I simply wasn't using my tablet so a larger device seems to be the logical choice. I see it more as my 'personal computer'.

That said, logic would probably say that I should get a Note, given the superior hardware (camera, screen) and tablet-like functionality. My issue? I'm a software snob. As a software developer by trade, I absolutely cannot stand how the 3rd parties taint (in my opinion) the design of stock Android. Google spends a lot of time and money on developing Android, and that's how I want to use it.

So a Nexus 6 will be for me.

Top Bottom