• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Soodanim

Good timing, Google. I've recently realised that I would get a good amount of use out of a tablet, given how much time I spend on the net on my phone. Now I just need to figure out how much I want to spend on one. I'd never spend Apple money, so is the Nexus still the top choice? (The Nexus 7 seemed to get good reviews when it first came out.)

MercuryLS

Banned
Why do people keep expecting SD card slots on Nexus devices? They only did it with the first Nexus phone (right?). Shit ain't ever happening again, they want you to use their cloud services.

kharma45

Why do people keep expecting SD card slots on Nexus devices? They only did it with the first Nexus phone (right?). Shit ain't ever happening again, they want you to use their cloud services.

Yeah it was only the Nexus One that had SD card support.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Corning Fit glass is garbage. I'll take a current pic of my N7 display when I get home.

I'm surprised this thread isn't bumping more.

Speevy

Banned
I managed to break the Gorilla glass from the last one without even dropping it. I just hit it with a car door when it was in my pocket, cracked all over.

Why don't they make these things out of material you could pitch at a wall without breaking it?

Talon

I managed to break the Gorilla glass from the last one without even dropping it. I just hit it with a car door when it was in my pocket, cracked all over.

Why don't they make these things out of material you could pitch at a wall without breaking it?
Because sapphire is heavy and expensive.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Arstechnica have benchmarked the new N7 and its significantly faster than the original, coming in between N4 and N10 in benchmarks.

Its really shows how shit the Tegra 3 is.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...ce-preview-a-huge-speed-upgrade-in-every-way/
I told yall, it's MUCH better than the Nexus 4's S4 Pro. Maybe it's the clock speed.

Edit:

"As expected, the CPU benchmarks and JavaScript scores for the new Nexus are similar to the Nexus 4, and they're much higher than the Tegra 3's 1.2GHz Cortex-A9 CPU cores can manage (this Tegra 3 can only run at 1.3GHz speeds if one of the four main CPU cores is active). The Nexus 7 does slightly edge out the Nexus 4 most of the time for one or more of three reasons: Android 4.3, which was introduced on the new Nexus 7, may bring under-the-hood performance improvements not present in the version of Android 4.2.2 running on the Nexus 4. Also, since the Nexus 7 is much larger than the Nexus 4, it stands to reason that the SoC would be less thermally constrained, allowing it to stretch its legs a bit more compared to the same SoC in a phone. Finally, notice that in Geekbench the memory score is way up, suggesting that the new Nexus 7 is using faster memory than the Nexus 4. This will greatly affect the performance of memory-dependent tasks."

OmegaFax

I hope Best Buy doesn't screw up pre-orders and release date delivery. Given the leaked Sunday flyers show Tuesday availability, I'm pretty confident they've secured a sizable inventory if it's in a printed ad (I hope). I'm just glad Amazon and Best Buy are carrying them and it's not limited to either Walmart, Staples, or Google Play (for the most part). It at least shows Google's more confident with a larger pool of retail partners this time around.

I pre-ordered a 32gb model. I'd probably held off on an LTE model if there was a more solid release date. Realistically, I've had cellular iPads and never used the data connection + I can tether if I really need it.

I'm likely going to use the tablet for reading and watching some occasional video. The rear camera is something I like using on a tablet for OCR and document scanning, so it's a huge + to me. 1080p screen at that pixel density *drools*. I hope Asus improved their quality control over last year's model.

So, what are the pros of an android tablet over ios? Do they finally have some tablet specific apps? I recall in the past they just had blown up phone apps.

Any good way to stream videos from my local pc to a tablet?

OmegaFax

If you want to do transcoding + streaming, I think Emit is the best bet. It works like AirVideo on iOS.

Otherwise, you can use VLC and a file browser of your choice and connect to your PC via SMB/AFP/SFTP/FTP and open the file.

Speevy

Banned
This is a serious question because I genuinely don't understand.

What does having a 1920x1200 7 inch screen do for the user? Like...what can you do that wasn't possible on a 1200x800 screen?

VoxPop

So, what are the pros of an android tablet over ios? Do they finally have some tablet specific apps? I recall in the past they just had blown up phone apps.

Mm still really lacking in tablet apps so don't go Android if thats what you're looking for.

It's good for basic reading and web browsing on a nice high res 7" screen.

Also plays any video you throw at it with ease which is the main advantage imo.

Also the price pretty much puts it in impulse buy category like the chromecast. Fantastic value for the price.

Speevy

Banned
What do we mean by "tablet apps"?

There are plenty of apps on Android that are feature-packed. If you're talking about things that are visually appealing, it's just a matter of taste.

I mean, what do you need to do on your tablet? That's the most important question, right?

Speevy

Banned
Watch 1080p Netflix streams, for one.

Right, I understand. That's the first thing that came to mind.

However, do you really see the difference at that size? I play 1080p video on my 9 inch Nook HD+ (same res) and it really looks nice, but I wouldn't want the actual screen to be any smaller.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
This is a serious question because I genuinely don't understand.

What does having a 1920x1200 7 inch screen do for the user? Like...what can you do that wasn't possible on a 1200x800 screen?
Text is clear as fuck.

I use it primarily for reading. I went from a Retina Display iPad which was absolutely awesomeballs for reading text (Feedly, Readability, Kindle books) to a Nexus 7 primarily for portability; the iPad was too heavy and big.

But the text on the N7 was so ugly. As a reading device, it wasn't as pleasurable.

What do we mean by "tablet apps"?

There are plenty of apps on Android that are feature-packed. If you're talking about things that are visually appealing, it's just a matter of taste.

I mean, what do you need to do on your tablet? That's the most important question, right?

Sorta. A lot of Android apps do scale to whatever screen size your device has, but occasioanlly they don't scale very well from phone to tablet size.

For example, I used to use the Opera browser on my android phone and wanted to use it on my Nexus 10, unfortunately the interface didn't scale to the huge resolution so the top nav bar and buttons were all microscopic.

A lot of times I don't personally mind it when the tablet app is just a enlarged phone app, but when devs take the time to make a nice interface for specifically for larger screens it can be pretty nice. Pocket Cast use to be pretty butt ugly and not the easiest app to use, but since it's redesign it's great for both phone and tablets.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Why is not having an SD card bad? I think we're past the point where we need or require them. I think only about 5% of owners actually ever fill up their storage on these devices.

hmmmm might just get one for my dad lol. it being even lighter than an ipad mini is nice and didn't realize its 16:10 which is better than 16:9 for everything outside of video.

These have gps chips right?

hmmm for someone that uses other google services heavily (mail, maps, drive/docs, calendar), it is odd that i don't have any android devices.

IronChef

Banned
Was evaluating along with some 8" tablets for purchase. No SD card and thick bezel kills this.

Hard to justify the $269 (32GB version) for this this when a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0" can be had for almost same price, with 64GB of extra storage available for cheap.

The resolution is nice, but on a screen this small it's overkill.

Centimeter for centimeter, and ounce for ounce the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0" seems like the better value:

http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_google_nexus_7_2-5600.php
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_3_8_0-5456.php

Nexus 7 2:
Dimensions 201 x 114.3 x 7.9 mm (7.91 x 4.5 x 0.31 in)
Weight 317.5 g (11.18 oz)

Tab 3 8.0"
Dimensions 209.8 x 123.8 x 7.4 mm (8.26 x 4.87 x 0.29 in)
Weight 314 g (11.08 oz)

For a slightly longer and wider (but thinner) body the Tab 3 houses a bigger screen that wastes less space on bezel. The Samsung is also lighter despite having a bigger battery.

Why is not having an SD card bad? I think we're past the point where we need or require them. I think only about 5% of owners actually ever fill up their storage on these devices.

Yeah, you know I used to be all about SD cards too but 32gb is good enough for me personally especially since I have my whole music collection available via google music service. That clears A LOT of space.

This thing looks great but after being kind of burned by the first N7, I'm hesitant to upgrade right away. Maybe in six months or so after it's been battle-tested and the price drops a bit.

Vibranium

Banned
For a person who mainly wants to use it for comics, does anyone think it'll do the job? I've read stories on the internet from fellow readers who have said that the 7" size isn't a super big deal except for splash pages and the high resolution screen in the new model makes it super tempting. As long as I can read the text and make out details in the art without zooming in too much I think I'm good. I'll be using Comixology to read them.

Preorders aren't available in Canada yet so I'd like to ask around about this.

Mission

Was evaluating along with some 8" tablets for purchase. No SD card and thick bezel kills this.

Hard to justify the $269 (32GB version) for this this when a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0" can be had for almost same price, with 64GB of extra storage available for cheap.

The resolution is nice, but on screen this small it's overkill.

Centimeter by center, and ounce for the ounce the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0" seems like the better value:

Nexus 7 2:

Tab 3 8.0"
Weight 314 g (11.08 oz)

For a slightly longer and wider (but thinner) body the Tab 3 houses a bigger screen that wastes less space on bezel. The Samsung is also lighter despite yet has a bigger battery.

I'm not 100% I agree with you but thanks for cheering me up ;)
That is, I bought the 8" a little over a week ago. I love it but considering the price difference I was really wondering if it was a mistake with the N7 specs confirmed.
There is still the difference in processor and RAM but I also think the Tab 3 8" looks nicer (not having the benefit of seeing both in person obviously).

Somnid

The resolution is nice, but on screen this small it's overkill.

Centimeter by center, and ounce for the ounce the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0" seems like the better value:

Nexus 7 2:

Tab 3 8.0"
Weight 314 g (11.08 oz)

For a slightly longer and wider (but thinner) body the Tab 3 houses a bigger screen that wastes less space on bezel. The Samsung is also lighter despite yet has a bigger battery.

That's because the Tab 3 is complete garbage from a spec standpoint. http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/22/4543316/samsung-galaxy-tab-3-8-0-and-10-1-review

Top Bottom