• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

If the OP is right the length is almost the same as the previous model.

its slightly taller and noticeably narrower.

ia5auLU.jpg

Shai-Tan

Banned
All that info is straight from Google's spec list

To be more accurate the new model is 1.5mm longer. But it's 6mm smaller in the other direction which will make it more comfortable to palm in portrait mode.

I wonder how much grip the back offers though because I can hold it pretty loose with the current model because of that weird rubber ish backing

To be more accurate the new model is 1.5mm longer. But it's 6mm smaller in the other direction which will make it more comfortable to palm in portrait mode.

I wonder how much grip the back offers though because I can hold it pretty loose with the current model because of that weird rubber ish backing

This one is grippy too but not the _exact_ same as the original one.

why use USB OTG for PS3 controllers when you can root and use Bluetooth?

I don't really want to buy an app for that. Besides, my PS3 controllers die in 15-30 minutes, so it's better that mine are plugged in, anyway.

Even if I did have the app, though, I sometimes use OTG for other things like external drives.

A WSJ guy on Twitter said a N10 update is coming in the fall with KLP.
Would they really release Key Lime Pie so soon after 4.3? Is it something Google would do?

Oyashiro

I think this is gonna be my first tablet purchase. I have an HTC One but Ive heard many people rave about the 7" tablets so Im willing to give it a shot. Anyone know if amazon will be selling them and if so, when?

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I don't really want to buy an app for that. Besides, my PS3 controllers die in 15-30 minutes, so it's better that mine are plugged in, anyway.

Even if I did have the app, though, I sometimes use OTG for other things like external drives.

Would they really release Key Lime Pie so soon after 4.3? Is it something Google would do?

4.3 is just an update to fix 4.2 and extras. KLP, hopefully, is a new OS and adds new functions.

Somnid

sounds like you're talking about a newer model...

Every Fire model since 2011 uses Gorilla Glass and nothing I said was untrue about the current HD line. They were highly comparable to the Nexus 7. In the context of expectations it does not seem unreasonable that this new Nexus should have Gorilla Glass.

spliced

A bit off topic but I wish they would put scroll wheels on tablets. I hate trying to scroll down on sites that have links all over their pages.

GhaleonEB

So if you were 11 and were saving up for a new tablet, and could afford a $200 to $230 one, which would you get? Assuming you were going to use it for gaming, video chat and online surfing. (We've ruled out the Nook HD due to no camera, and the Kindle Fire.)

My daughter and I have been researching and we've narrowed it to the Galaxy Tab 3 or Nexus 7, either the older or the newly announced model. The new Nexus is clearly the winner on the specs, but the expandable memory slot is attractive as she will likely own it for a long time. (The iPad is out of the question, due to price.)

It looks like the new Nexus is what she should go for. Is there any reason to think otherwise? (I haven't seen any from the discussion so far.)

So if you were 11 and were saving up for a new tablet, and could afford a $200 to $230 one, which would you get? Assuming you were going to use it for gaming, video chat and online surfing. (We've ruled out the Nook HD due to no camera, and the Kindle Fire.)

My daughter and I have been researching and we've narrowed it to the Galaxy Tab 3 or Nexus 7, either the older or the newly announced model. The new Nexus is clearly the winner on the specs, but the expandable memory slot is attractive as she will likely own it for a long time. (The iPad is out of the question, due to price.)

It looks like the new Nexus is what she should go for. Is there any reason to think otherwise? (I haven't seen any from the discussion so far.)

You already know the answer to your question. There has been complaints with the performance of the old Nexus 7 currently, though hopefully the new one address the predecessor's problems; the old Nexus 7 performance dreads since it updated to Android 4.2. What could go wrong with Google's new tablet? :p

Cipherr

Sure. 4.3 is just a point release, its not a major update by any stretch. Where it falls doesnt really matter timewise. Remember, 4.0 was a long time ago. The move to 5.0 some two years or more later wouldnt really be 'soon' at all.

Somnid

A bit off topic but I wish they would put scroll wheels on tablets. I hate trying to scroll down on sites that have links all over their pages.

They should do something like the way Wii U scrolls by tilting.

If you are getting one right now then yes this is probably what you want. By my previous comments I don't think the Tab is a good device especially if you are going bang for the buck. I think it's entirely prudent to wait a little longer as well since most big tablet releases happen toward the holiday season. Probably Kindles in September and maybe Kobo will do another around the same time. No more Nooks though :(. Also, it can set off price competition as well as many tablets got slashed by $50 at least temporarily, some permanently, last holiday season.

Also for what it's worth I think Android is pretty meh for gaming. If that is indeed a heavy use case maybe a used/refurbed iPad could work too.

$150 Hisense Sero 7 Pro

cdkee

Banned
I'm thinking the Moto X is going to be 4G only, no 3G, on Verizon, based off of the LTE Nexus 7...we'll see...

Exuro

Maybe it's just me but I really don't like the home/back stuff being on the screen all the time. :(

Looks like a good deal though.

asdad123

Hmm.. I have an ipad mini with 4g that I could sell and pick this up (and profit a little too probably!)

How is the book reading on Android? I have textbooks on my mini that I use for school and I would also want to use this for it as well. Their mainly in PDF files

Speevy

Banned
Hmm.. I have an ipad mini with 4g that I could sell and pick this up (and profit a little too probably!)

How is the book reading on Android? I have textbooks on my mini that I use for school and I would also want to use this for it as well. Their mainly in PDF files

Book reading on Android is great. Text-to-speech, crisp letters, whatever you need.

book reading is fine, but this screen might be a little small. i have a nook hd+ (which has the same resolution as this but with a 9in screen and text is already a little small)

Speevy

Banned
book reading is fine, but this screen might be a little small. i have a nook hd+ (which has the same resolution as this but with a 9in screen and text is already a little small)

If 9 inches is too small just read it on your computer or something.

FZZ

Banned
Would any of you say it would be worth it to upgrade from last years model?

Also idk about you guys, but my Nexus 7 has slowed down a lot from when I first got it, I honestly have no clue about the problem being the Tegra 3 SoC in last years model, because I've also heard it was the RAM slowing down over time, which is why I'm curious if the same issue will happen with this years version.

Speevy

Banned
Would any of you say it would be worth it to upgrade from last years model?

Also idk about you guys, but my Nexus 7 has slowed down a lot from when I first got it, I honestly have no clue about the problem being the Tegra 3 SoC in last years model, because I've also heard it was the RAM slowing down over time, which is why I'm curious if the same issue will happen with this years version.

You can upgrade or just wait until next July when everyone is calling this thing crap.

xJavonta

Banned
Is it stupid to buy one of these even though I have an iPad that I won't be getting rid of anytime soon?

Something tells me I should get one of these and I really want one, but I can't find any use for it that my iPad does already.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Is it stupid to buy one of these even though I have an iPad that I won't be getting rid of anytime soon?

Something tells me I should get one of these and I really want one, but I can't find any use for it that my iPad does already.
Do you have excess disposable income? If so, yes. Enjoy fresh tech and compare the screens.

If not, no.

BFIB

Want to play emulators? Worth a purchase for this alone.

xJavonta

Banned
Do you have excess disposable income? If so, yes. Enjoy fresh tech and compare the screens.

If not, no.
It'd probably be a breath of fresh air from my iPad 2's low-res screen too...

Want to play emulators? Worth a purchase for this alone.
If I can use them on my TV then hell yes, that's totally worth it.

If not, my iPad is jailbroken already and does emus :/

Are there any good Android exclusive games? I've been away from the Android scene for a while since getting my iPhone, and my old Nexus S 4G is probably too slow to play most games these days.

cdkee

Banned
But then there would be no voice. Verizon doesn't support VoLTE.

Ah, right. I thought that this might be the first, but some research shows that it will probably 2014 until we see further announcements on that front. In any case, I wonder if the Verizon X will be sold on the play store...doesn't seem like something they would allow.

Cam some elaborate on the Slimport functionality?

Does this mean anything I run on the Nexus 7 could be outputted to my TV? I've been looking for a tablet which could work as a portable game machine of sorts, if Slimport would allow me to output emulated games to the TV, then I'd be in heaven.

It appears I've found someone who's wiling to buy my original 32 gig for $125.

That seems pretty good. Anyone think I can do better? I feel like I'm probably gonna go ahead and pick this up next week.

It appears I've found someone who's wiling to buy my original 32 gig for $125.

That seems pretty good. Anyone think I can do better? I feel like I'm probably gonna go ahead and pick this up next week.

i see on Ebay that people are buying that model for $150 used. You could bump it up to $140.

Top Bottom