• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone use Reddit on their Nexus 7 v2? It's extremely slow for me, especially loading GIFs and images, I've tried using Reddit News and Reddit Sync. It seems to be worse since Lolipop. I don't know if it's a Reddit issue, Reddit mobile issue, Wifi issue or what. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having a similar experience.

After the latest update my Nexus 7 tablet turns off every minute and I can't even use it. I did a factory reset and the same result.

Anyone else with this issue?

A person on Reddit posted this:

LaFxImz.png

So 5.1 today or tomorrow finally. I am really happy about this.

Schrade

So... my Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB just up and croaked sometime while I was sleeping.

I woke up this morning in a panic thinking I was late for work because my alarm (on the Nexus 7) didn't go off. Fortunately I wasn't late but my Nexus 7 was displaying the Google logo and the padlock at the bottom of the screen when I opened up my case.

Looks like it crashed and when it rebooted got stuck at the Google/Padlock screen.

I investigated some more, tried to boot to recovery (loads TWRP recovery screen logo but can't get further), booted to fastboot bootloader mode. I then hooked it up and did fastboot erase recovery and it just hangs there. Looks like the memory used for all that is hosed :(

Things I tried:

Rebooting the system (Hangs at Google/Padlock, goes no further)
Rebooting to recovery (Hangs at TWRP group logo, goes no further)
fastboot erase recovery (command line says erasing but it never completes)
fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.6.0-flo.img (aborts 90 seconds later saying it can't write)

Anyone have any other suggestions to try?

Doing some googling around points to having to replace the motherboard. I ordered an $80.00 32GB motherboard for it so hopefully that'll get it up and running. I feel like an idiot that I didn't back up my photos/videos on it. Nothing super special on there but I hate losing data.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Schrade, same thing happened to mine, it just boot looped and writing to the loader to get it going again was impossible, so memory board fried. You can go with a new mother board but I actually just bought a new unit. That says something, that this can commit suicide out of nowhere, and I like it enough to risk it happening again. Too bad the 9 was such a crappy answer to the things I love about the 7 though or I woulda upgraded...

Schrade

Schrade, same thing happened to mine, it just boot looped and writing to the loader to get it going again was impossible, so memory board fried. You can go with a new mother board but I actually just bought a new unit. That says something, that this can commit suicide out of nowhere, and I like it enough to risk it happening again. Too bad the 9 was such a crappy answer to the things I love about the 7 though or I woulda upgraded...

Yup. I actually bought the motherboard and tried to pry open the fucker to swap motherboards. I ended up cracking the glass and stopped trying to get it open :(

So I bought a new one instead. I'll eventually try to open the old one up and put the motherboard into it. I'll use it as a smart video camera and stuff.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've been having issues with YouTube, it seems the tablet can't handle 720p@60 but 720p@30 used to work fine, is there anyway to force 30 so I don't have to use 480pp

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone else shocked at how well their N7 2013 still performs, even after about three years of heavy updates? They must be making the OS more lightweight than before, because mine seems to still run snappy.

Ashes

Banned
Thought about flashing. But I am actually alright with it currently. So will just wait for the ota. This will be the last update if their two year support roll out holds true.

VPhys

Anyone else shocked at how well their N7 2013 still performs, even after about three years of heavy updates? They must be making the OS more lightweight than before, because mine seems to still run snappy.

Runs great. Been using it as my "phone" until the Nexus 6p arrives. The Nexus 9 was a joke in comparison to the 2013 7.

RuGalz

Marshmallow is going to be so good for tablet as it dramatically reduces the battery drain when idling. It feels like N7 is still good for another year and half.

NH Apache

Banned

My wife and I both have the n7 and it still wokrs flawlessly for us. For the money spent, this must be one of the best buys I have made.

reKon

Banned
If my Nexus 7 (2013) didn't go bad, I might have still been using it to this date. It will was impressive for this time and I would have liked to see the improvements that Android M brought. With that said, I think the device was under powered for the type of web browsing performance I demanded and I wanted better multitasking and more storage. My upgrade to the Tab S2 for $300ish was definitely worth it because of the extremely impressive performance and without Android M, I only lose about 1% at night, which never happened with my Nexus 7 (2013) for some reason.

Do you guys have Wifi set to turn off when sleeping unless plugged in? By default in Android it's always on, but for my usage, I don't constantly need this on. This could be one thing that's causing your overnight drainage if you haven't checked for this.

RuGalz

Do you guys have Wifi set to turn off when sleeping unless plugged in? By default in Android it's always on, but for my usage, I don't constantly need this on. This could be one thing that's causing your overnight drainage if you haven't checked for this.

I have to leave it on because my phone is rarely on me when I'm at home and the tablet notify me of messages.

mattiewheels

So...what happened to Google's plans if they offer the N7 in 2013 as the best money to value tablet going, and never follow it up? The N9 was such a weird announcement, I'm wondering if this was the Trojan horse and now they're done making them light and cheap.

EmiPrime

So...what happened to Google's plans if they offer the N7 in 2013 as the best money to value tablet going, and never follow it up? The N9 was such a weird announcement, I'm wondering if this was the Trojan horse and now they're done making them light and cheap.

Google should have got ASUS to make a Nexus 8 version of the latest Zenpad. They missed a trick there.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hoping someone here can help. I have a rooted Nexus 7 on 4.4.1 (KOT49H), and I figured it's about time to update it, but every time I do I'm getting an error. Do I need to reset it to factory settings to update it? I have a bunch of the incremental updates downloaded (in the !Ready to flash" folder, and on my PC at home), making sure that each one follows on from the other, that I tried to flash and sideload over with the Nexus Root Toolkit, but I'm getting errors regardless of which method I try.

I don't really know what I'm doing with this stuff, I know a little and have been following guides, but it's all fairly new to me so if the easiest option for me is to do a wipe and then try again then I'll do it, but I'd prefer to keep everything that's on there if possible. What should I do?

EmiPrime

Hoping someone here can help. I have a rooted Nexus 7 on 4.4.1 (KOT49H), and I figured it's about time to update it, but every time I do I'm getting an error. Do I need to reset it to factory settings to update it? I have a bunch of the incremental updates downloaded (in the !Ready to flash" folder, and on my PC at home), making sure that each one follows on from the other, that I tried to flash and sideload over with the Nexus Root Toolkit, but I'm getting errors regardless of which method I try.

I don't really know what I'm doing with this stuff, I know a little and have been following guides, but it's all fairly new to me so if the easiest option for me is to do a wipe and then try again then I'll do it, but I'd prefer to keep everything that's on there if possible. What should I do?

Let it go, it's time to use that flash-all script.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Scoot back from the edge of your seats, I have an update.

I did that flash thing (using the NRT) and it worked fine. I think. The install seemed to hang on the bootlogo afterwards but I powered the tablet down and then turned it on again and all was well (after the applications refreshed and that).

The verdict? Feels like a completely new tablet. I was using the Aviate launcher previously because I liked the idea of having a single, almost full screen widget (I mostly use my tablet for reading comics so I have rotating covers there) but I've gone back to stock now and it looks awesome. The little design refreshes are fantastic, especially in the notification drawer. Really happy with it. The speed seems to be improved too (although this might be because I cleared a bunch of space on there too). Really happy with it.

mattiewheels

Is it just on my end, or have the new updates finally introduced some sluggishness to the device after years of smooth sailing? Chrome is jerky and unresponsive, so are lots of apps. Home screen gives me grief like it never did before.

Dec

Is it just on my end, or have the new updates finally introduced some sluggishness to the device after years of smooth sailing? Chrome is jerky and unresponsive, so are lots of apps. Home screen gives me grief like it never did before.

Definitely the case for myself as well.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'd really like to upgrade to another Android tablet that can play 1080p/60fps video and 4k video smoothly. I'm not sure if it exists yet.

Top Bottom