• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Groof

Can you do the OTA update while rooted? I don't have a custom rom or anything like that. Not that it's showing up for me!
If the only thing you've done is root, then yes you can apply the ota with no issues. However you will have to reroot after the fact.

DonMigs85

Good grief, it just did a random reboot while I was surfing on Chrome. I thought this update would fix that...
Luckily it doesn't happen too often, maybe about once or twice a month.

ty_hot

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask, but I haven't found any better so:

1- Is there going to be a new Nexus 7 (or 8) soon? Has Google announced any event?
2- How is the first Nexus 7 doing? I read it has Android Kit Kat, but that it has some problems such as abttery drain. How bad is it? Is it supposed to get the Android 4.5 or 5 (who knows) update or the 4.4 should be the last one?

My girlfried wants a tablet for her and I suggested the Nexus 7 from 2013, and she really like it. But I am chekcing prices for the first version and it is half of the price, and she will basically need it for video calls, facebook, skype, messaging in general. No big deal. But I don't want her to have a laggy tablet as well, so we can't decide what fits better.

NH Apache

Banned
My 2013 is still performing very well. No lag.

My only issue is every once in a while, the touch gets a bit corrupted and I have to hold down power for 10 seconds to reset the system as a normal reboot does not fix the issue.

Battery life is great. I watched 4 hours of local HD video (headphones) on a plane recently and it used roughly 20-25 percent. I have noticed that some newer games tend to drain the battery a bit faster, but I think that is the app and not the device.

For the prices I have seen lately, I cannot recommend\ anything else.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I thought I'd fixed my touchscreen issues but since last update it's been a shit again. The first letter double taps all the time, like if I type basket, it will c come out b basket, in fact it just did it with come. I'm using SwiftKey.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for the GPS problems yet? The device has been out for almost a year now.

I bought a 32GB wifi model for the sole purpose of using as an infotainment system in my car. Tore apart my car dash and installed it. GPS is completely useless. As someone who primarily uses Apple devices (which always work reliably as they should and never let me down) this is extremely disappointing for my first android device.

I posted about this in the Android OT, but is anyone here experiencing a crumbling bezel? A small chunk has fallen off of mine and adjacent chunks are threatening to fall off as well.
Does anyone know if there is a fix for the GPS problems yet? The device has been out for almost a year now.

I bought a 32GB wifi model for the sole purpose of using as an infotainment system in my car. Tore apart my car dash and installed it. GPS is completely useless. As someone who primarily uses Apple devices (which always work reliably as they should and never let me down) this is extremely disappointing for my first android device.
The GPS issue was fixed within the first month of release in a software update, you should send your tablet in for repair if its still bad. Is it the same issue where signal is lost or something different?

I posted about this in the Android OT, but is anyone here experiencing a crumbling bezel? A small chunk has fallen off of mine and adjacent chunks are threatening to fall off as well.
The GPS issue was fixed within the first month of release in a software update, you should send your tablet in for repair if its still bad. Is it the same issue where signal is lost or something different?

Yup. It locks out and loses its signal. I updated to the latest software and no dice. I've been browsing xda and other forums and the posts complaining about this problem go up to the middle of July this year. Spend an hour or two searching the web for a definitive fix and no dice either.

How is this handling the newer games? I'm considering buying one but may wait until the refresh (even if it's 8 inches and not 7) or jump on the nVidia Shield that was just leaked if the Nexus 7 is starting to show its age with gaming.

DonMigs85

How is this handling the newer games? I'm considering buying one but may wait until the refresh (even if it's 8 inches and not 7) or jump on the nVidia Shield that was just leaked if the Nexus 7 is starting to show its age with gaming.
It's still decent but any phone with a Snapdragon 800 easily outperforms it. Even the new Asus Memopad HD7 with Baytrail gets better framerates, though that's a 1280x800 display.

VPhys

I'm craving a new tablet the but nexus is still the best one out today. Google needs to hurry up and update it. The Galaxy Tab S is actually really nice, the first Samsung Tablet I have ever considered, but there is no LTE version.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have any idea what's up with my touchscreen? I've tried flashing 10 and 11 but it's not helping. I'm suffering from double presses and just general inaccuracy when using Swiftkey to type.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have any idea what's up with my touchscreen? I've tried flashing 10 and 11 but it's not helping. I'm suffering from double presses and just general inaccuracy when using Swiftkey to type.

Fuck me, it was my stylus all this time. I'm using a pretty expensive cloth stylus and for some reason the touchscreen isn't picking it up properly any more, it used to work perfectly. I tried using my finger and a cheap stylus I had lying around and it's working fine.

linkboy

I've done a full Nexus upgrade, getting both a Nexus 5 and 7 (only paid $179 for the 7 as well).

I know there's new ones coming out, but both of these will work fine for me. I'm just glad to get rid of my Tab 3 7", what a piece of shit that disaster of a tablet is.

Is there anyway to output my nexus 7 to HDMI through the USB. I have the Dish App and would love to be able to bring TV anywhere.

Chromecast has a bit of lag.

Schrade

Is there anyway to output my nexus 7 to HDMI through the USB. I have the Dish App and would love to be able to bring TV anywhere.

Chromecast has a bit of lag.

This is the one that I bought and it works perfectly:

Cable Matters Micro-USB SlimPort/MyDP to HDMI Male to Female Adapter with 6 Foot USB-Charging Cable & High Speed HDMI Cable ($15.99)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPMF504/?tag=neogaf0e-20

^^^ That's almost $50.00. There is no reason to get that.

VPhys

The sim card tray from my Nexus 7 2013 eventually deteriorated and broke. I suppose it was not built to stand up to constant use.

Now I need to replace it and for the life of me I can't find where to buy this part.

Asus wants me to mail in the entire tablet for an RMA when all i need is this $1 piece of plastic. :/

Does anyone know if there is a command in bootloader that will trigger the device to power off once it detects that it’s not charging?

I have my Nexus flush mounted into my car’s dashboard with a wireless charging dock hardwired to the back and hidden behind the dash. The goal is to get the device to power on when I turn the car key and power off when I remove the key.

I was able to get the first half of the equation solved by using the command “./fastboot-mac oem off-mode-charge 0” in boot loader (using Mac). Works like a charm and the device now powers on as soon as I turn the car key. But I can't find out if there is any command that does the reverse - powers down when not charging.

Another option is Tasker but I think tasked only shuts off the display and puts it in standby mode instead of completely powering it off. And I don't have the patience to figure out how to use tasker anyways.

As a former Apple-only user, I'm really loving the flexibility of Android vs iOS.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
How do I stop this?

SzDBOxd.png

The undo closed thing, it started a few days ago. Same with Firefox and Chrome.

Nopren

Well, lo and behold. Just got my OTA notification that lollipop is ready to be installed. But after it restarts to install it, it gets 10 % into the blue bar and then it just says "error".
Then after I restart it is back to the old 4.4 and it gives me the update notification again.
Has anyone else run into problems?

NH Apache

Banned
Well, lo and behold. Just got my OTA notification that lollipop is ready to be installed. But after it restarts to install it, it gets 10 % into the blue bar and then it just says "error".
Then after I restart it is back to the old 4.4 and it gives me the update notification again.
Has anyone else run into problems?

Are you rooted or a custom bootloader?

Nopren

Lo' and behold. I tried to do a factory reset of my tablet, to then install .5 afterwards. But after the reset it will only show the white "Google" logo at startup and then it freezes. Tried to do more factory resets but with the same result.

I found a decent deal on Groupon for the 16GB 2013 Edition, and ordered one. It should arrive in a week or so. I'm completely new to the Android infrastructure (been on iOS for a few years now). What are some recommend apps and other general advice for a new user? I heard Dolphin is a decent browser that can help save battery life?

Edit- I plan to primarily browse GAF, stream videos, note taking, and read comics/news articles.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just got the update, it seems faster for sure, just browsing with Firefox seems smoother. I use a custom launcher so it doesn't look much different, I do like the new notification style though. Hopefully battery life will be improved.

adroit

Anyone with a 2012 Nexus 7 gotten the OTA yet? I realize I may be the last person on Earth with a 2012.

I'm in no hurry to get the update. I can wait forever. I'm just curious.

NH Apache

Banned
Just got the 5.0.1 notification. I had flashed 5.0 but have custom recovery so I don't want to go through the hassle yet.

Only 17 MB.

Lucreto

I am interested in getting a Nexus 7 but I have a few questions.

1. I plan to using it mostly browse the internet in the evening. I need a bigger screen charging my Sony Xperia twice a day is not good for the battery life. Should I go for the N7 and does Chrome work well on the Nexus 7?

2. Do the gaming companion apps work well on the N7? The apps for Assassin's Creed Unity and the Black Flag ship app for example.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Apps are crashing and my device has rebooted itself several times on Android 5.0, it seems pretty fucking buggy.

5.0.1 royally screwed mine up, mine is stuck in infinite loop. I've already tried recovery mode to clear cache as suggested by Google. But upon doing this it continues the loop. I don't know what else to do. Outside of doing a factory reset, are there any other options?

DonMigs85

Mine is stable so far, but as I said before the little hiccups are more frequent and the RAM usage appears higher based on what CPU-Z reports.

Has anyone used emulators on this?

2d stuff works along with PS1 but the N64 emulator I'm using has a bunch of errors and what not. and the PSP emulator has horrible performance. Is that normal?

Top Bottom