• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

DonMigs85

Trying out a few other web browsers from the play store really makes it obvious that Google isn't trying very hard with Chrome at all. What's up with that?

I like Dolphin Browser since it has a small footprint and doesn't build up a massive cache over time.
For games, I like Riptide GP2, Beach Buggy Blitz, Angry Birds Go and GT Racing 2.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Trying out a few other web browsers from the play store really makes it obvious that Google isn't trying very hard with Chrome at all. What's up with that?

I still use Chrome over anything else. I can't give up sync to all my devices + bandwidth manager on my phone.

reKon

Banned
I'm really surprised that everyone here barely talked about the touch screen issues with the Nexus 7. I think I was able to fix it by using this: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/thwart-those-nexus-7-2013-multi-touch-issues/

Last time I checked, ASUS hasn't done shit about this hardware flaw. Other than that, this tablet is brilliant. I don't know what I'm suppose to be getting battery life wise, but decided to flash Franco's kernel and I think it may be helping. In my last run, My battery lasted for 2 days and 12 hours. 6 Hours and 20 mins of screen time. I probably spent 2+ hours streaming, 1 hour 40 playing King Rush, and the rest browsing the internet at auto brightness (which is looks very dim since I use it when I'm in bed usually).

Groof

I'm really surprised that everyone here barely talked about the touch screen issues with the Nexus 7. I think I was able to fix it by using this: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/thwart-those-nexus-7-2013-multi-touch-issues/

Last time I checked, ASUS hasn't done shit about this hardware flaw. Other than that, this tablet is brilliant. I don't know what I'm suppose to be getting battery life wise, but decided to flash Franco's kernel and I think it may be helping. In my last run, My battery lasted for 2 days and 12 hours. 6 Hours and 20 mins of screen time. I probably spent 2+ hours streaming, 1 hour 40 playing King Rush, and the rest browsing the internet at auto brightness (which is looks very dim since I use it when I'm in bed usually).

My first Nexus 7 actually had some of those issues. Not as severe as many I've seen reported, but they were definitely there. Missed touches, random multi touches, erratic touch behaviour... The works. My second one has been free from those, but I've started noticing that whenever it lays flat on a surface, the upper part of the screen doesn't respond to touch. And only when it lays flat. Might have to get it checked on warranty if it gets any worse.

Shame the issue is still rampant however. Feels like an issue like this - especially on a device where your only means of usage is through the touch screen - should be fixed with highest priority.

reKon

Banned
My first Nexus 7 actually had some of those issues. Not as severe as many I've seen reported, but they were definitely there. Missed touches, random multi touches, erratic touch behaviour... The works. My second one has been free from those, but I've started noticing that whenever it lays flat on a surface, the upper part of the screen doesn't respond to touch. And only when it lays flat. Might have to get it checked on warranty if it gets any worse.

Shame the issue is still rampant however. Feels like an issue like this - especially on a device where your only means of usage is through the touch screen - should be fixed with highest priority.

This is exactly flaw I'm referring too. This is the problem I was having and it's actually a hardware issue. Whenever I put it flat on the ground, the samething happens to me. The upper right hand part of the screen would not detect any touches. It was only when I held it in my hand or at an angle, it would detect touches and everything would be find. I think it relates to some grounding issue that Asus messed up on. I think that the fix I installed helped that because so far the screen has been pretty responsive when using it on the flat surface. It was ts10 that did for me.

The grounding varies from unit to unit. All 3 N7s I went through had differences, it was impossible to type coherent sentences on the 2nd one. Extremely poor QC and I try to make sure people are aware of the issue before recommending the tablet.

DonMigs85

The only problem I've ever had on mine is the random rebooting, but it's been a few weeks since the last one.
Also the soft touch plastic is flaking off a bit on the bottom edge.

RuGalz

I don't recommend using stickmount though, it overwrites a system file to work (debuggerd) which makes OTA updates fail. Normally fine, but debuggerd can be a pain to get a hold of to replace.

Didn't know about that but honestly I would rather not take OTA update and then forget that I have lost USB OTG later when I really need it.

Groof

This is exactly flaw I'm referring too. This is the problem I was having and it's actually a hardware issue. Whenever I put it flat on the ground, the samething happens to me. The upper right hand part of the screen would not detect any touches. It was only when I held it in my hand or at an angle, it would detect touches and everything would be find. I think it relates to some grounding issue that Asus messed up on. I think that the fix I installed helped that because so far the screen has been pretty responsive when using it on the flat surface. It was ts10 that did for me.

Ah shit, good thing I rooted the thing not too long ago. Might have to try that fix out then, because they can get pretty annoying. But sometimes it feels like it's getting worse too.

reKon

Banned
Ah shit, good thing I rooted the thing not too long ago. Might have to try that fix out then, because they can get pretty annoying. But sometimes it feels like it's getting worse too.

After a few days using this, I think it's safe to say the problem is solved. I love developers. ...

Definitely make sure you start with one and see if you have any issues after using it face down for a day or so. If it doesn't work, move on to the next variation. I did ts10. I think ts11 (one of the experimental ones) also worked for a lot of people. Also, I decided to check out kernels because I felt I wasn't getting good idling time from the bullet kernel. I'm trying Franco's and it seems like I'm getting much better idling time, but possibly slighty higher drainage in use. So far I'm 2 days and 6 hours in with an on screen of time of 3 hours and 15 mins. 48% left.

Groof

After a few days using this, I think it's safe to say the problem is solved. I love developers. ...

Definitely make sure you start with one and see if you have any issues after using it face down for a day or so. If it doesn't work, move on to the next variation. I did ts10. I think ts11 (one of the experimental ones) also worked for a lot of people. Also, I decided to check out kernels because I felt I wasn't getting good idling time from the bullet kernel. I'm trying Franco's and it seems like I'm getting much better idling time, but possibly slighty higher drainage in use. So far I'm 2 days and 6 hours in with an on screen of time of 3 hours and 15 mins. 48% left.
Yeah I've been on ts10 since that post and it seems the issues are relatively solved. However I do still experience some jankiness with the touch, so maybe I'll have to try another one out.

reKon

Banned
Yeah I've been on ts10 since that post and it seems the issues are relatively solved. However I do still experience some jankiness with the touch, so maybe I'll have to try another one out.

I guess I spoke too soon. I was having issues this morning with certain areas not picking up touches. This time it was on the bottom half of the screen and it didn't matter whether I held it in hand vs flat on a table. I'm going to continue using ts10 for a few more days and then try out another variation. Peformance ts10 has still be good to the most part and this touch screen issue hasn't really ruined the experience for me using it. It's just annoying when it does happen and it's ridiculous that Asus/Google haven't acknowledged it.

Yeah, having the sleep/unsleep the device almost every day to get it to respond to my fingers rather soured me on Asus as a hardware manufacturer, that and how they build their tablet internally. I ended up breaking the screen (not due to the Asus issue), and it was insane the lengths they went through to make it nearly impossible to replace (doing so on my LG phone in comparison was almost supernaturally easy). Plus side is that the refurbished N7 I got instead doesn't have the issue. But I'm definitely veering away from Asus, and my opinion of Google for ignoring the issue (actually, for making it worse, as I only had the GPS problem before the first big "fixing" update!) has gone down a notch.

npa189

I've been bit by the Nexus bug, I love my 5, greatest phone I've ever had. I could really use a tablet for school (mass amounts of PDF reading) but I'm stuck choosing which tablet to buy. The N7 2013 is cheap and widely available, the Nexus 10 is due for an any day refresh, and there is the LG G Pad, which is basically an honorary Nexus device. What do I get? I could really use a tablet within the week, waiting for hardware refreshes just sucks.

Threi

notag
re: touchscreen

ts11 worked the best for me, tried a bunch of them. Kinda annoyed that I had to but considering the tablet is made by ASUS i'm not surprised in the least.

MAtgS

If amazon doesn't screw up I should be getting mine tomorrow, along with wireless charging dock (I am so done with power cords crapping out on my tablets, phones, netbooks, etc.)

A shame there's no SD card option, especially if I were to dive into PS1/PSP emulation. Those kind of games add up quickly.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone having an issue with the touchscreen? The click seems very sensitive and I'll often click a picture or thread when trying to scroll through them. I've had the device since launch and I didn't notice this until recently.

Blablurn

Is anyone having an issue with the touchscreen? The click seems very sensitive and I'll often click a picture or thread when trying to scroll through them. I've had the device since launch and I didn't notice this until recently.

only on mobile gaf for some reason. its strange

Groof

I get this from time to time. I'm guessing it could be related to what we were discussing above, but not sure.

reKon

Banned
re: touchscreen

ts11 worked the best for me, tried a bunch of them. Kinda annoyed that I had to but considering the tablet is made by ASUS i'm not surprised in the least.

Will try out next. For the most part ts10 had been great though. At the time I posted, that was the one time in a few days that the screen after up.

BTW for anyone who cares, as of now I have 1% left and 6 hours 20 mins on screen time and 4 days, 7 hours of on time under Franco's kernel with stock Android. I'd say half the time was spent constantly browsing and the other half was spent streaming videos. Google Now is off and I'm on auto brightness, which is dim because I've mostly using this before bed.

Groof

Where can I find ts11? Ts10 started spazzing out last night for me with a bunch of erratic and ghost touches.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just flashed to ts11 and it feels great. I no longer keep accidently clicking when trying to scroll and flow typing is much more precise. Well chuffed.

reKon

Banned
Can you actually copy and paste stuff with ts11? One of the issue with this screen is that it's too sensitive when it's actually detecting touches

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Can you actually copy and paste stuff with ts11? One of the issue with this screen is that it's too sensitive when it's actually detecting touches

ts11 has been absolutely fantastic for me. When flow typing I would constantly skip words as I typed so it would look like this "Then I went a d to the shops b a because" but now it's perfect, no issues at all. I also suffered from sensitive touch where it would constantly click when I wanted to scroll but that has been fixed as well. I highly recommend it if you're having problems.

pestul

Yeah, I'm not sure what did it.. I just assumed it was related to Dolphin Browser. When I'm browsing mobile-gaf on it, I find it very easy to accidentally bring up a single post.

My machine is doing quite well overall. The charge still holds just as strong after 8 months (probably 150+ charges). It suffered its worst drop today. I flung it unto the floor on the elevator at work for whatever stupid reason. The slim Moko case performed perfectly by absorbing the impact and spitting out the N7 unharmed.

reKon

Banned
Yeah, I'm not sure what did it.. I just assumed it was related to Dolphin Browser. When I'm browsing mobile-gaf on it, I find it very easy to accidentally bring up a single post.

My machine is doing quite well overall. The charge still holds just as strong after 8 months (probably 150+ charges). It suffered its worst drop today. I flung it unto the floor on the elevator at work for whatever stupid reason. The slim Moko case performed perfectly by absorbing the impact and spitting out the N7 unharmed.

Oh my second run tracking the battery life under Franco's kernel. I'm at 7 hours and 30 mins of on screen time 2 days and 12 hours of battery. I'd say half of that was spent streaming and the other half was spent browsing. I have a 11% left so if I browsed for an hour straight i'd lose around 10% which would leave it at 8 hours and 30 mins of total screen time over 2+ days. I think I'm satisfied with that. I've been doing a lot of testing on battery life because I the last kernel I was using wasn't doing as well (bulletproof kernel). Overall, this is my most used device at home as it essentially controls my media center and always performs well (especially now that I've resolved most of the touch screen issues).

For the Nexus 7 successor if all the internals were upgraded (so maybe the snapdragon 801?), the screen was still great (and more efficient), battery was a little bigger, and the top/bottom bezels shrunk a little, and the materials were similar, I think this would nearly be the perfect tablet for me. I say nearly because I'd rather have an 8 inch size similar to LG Pad 8.3, which has a great build quality. I also know I'd go with the LTE model this time because T-Mobile gives you free data now each month for free if you add a tablet to your account.

So I took the plunge. T-Mobile has a deal where not only is 1GB LTE free for the rest of 2014 (in addition to their usual 200MB), they're also selling LTE tablets for the same price as the WiFi versions.

I took a deep breath and ordered a Nexus 7 instead of an iPad Retina Mini. Price, the standard 32GB, and can-it-fit-in-my-pants-pocketability were definitely the biggest factors, but reading some of the issues and the having the refresh right around the corner kinda has me nervous.

The $130 price difference is large, but it's also not all the money in the world. I'm platform agnostic with no more than $5 spent on either Android/iOS, so hopefully it works out.

Nopren

I usually get weather info in my pulldown notifications bar, but I mistakenly dismissed it, and now it doesn't seem to show up again. I can't seem to find a setting for it. Does anyone know what to do?

Anybody know how to properly copy photos from my computer to the tablet?

I put the folder I want in DCIM > Camera, which is fine because I can access the photos but subfolders get all kinds of screwed up and the order of pictures are all wonky and are rarely in the order I want them in. Sometimes it's not an issue but others it's quite annoying.

I even tried renaming the photos "01" "02" "03" and so on to try and fix it but it's just not working.

Any help fellas?

Anybody know how to properly copy photos from my computer to the tablet?

I put the folder I want in DCIM > Camera, which is fine because I can access the photos but subfolders get all kinds of screwed up and the order of pictures are all wonky and are rarely in the order I want them in. Sometimes it's not an issue but others it's quite annoying.

I even tried renaming the photos "01" "02" "03" and so on to try and fix it but it's just not working.

Any help fellas?
You might have some strange EXIF data in the images that's throwing off the media scanner.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just ordered myself a 16GB Nexus 7 to take advantage of the free £50 in Google Play credit offer, really looking forward to getting my hands on it. Don't mind too much about the smaller capacity (the offer's only on the 16GB not the 32GB), I have an iPhone currently that I carry all my music around on and if I'm at home I can stream stuff to the tablet anyway so I'm sure I'll work around it, mostly it'll be good to dip my toes into the Android pool a little, and the screen is awesome. Will be trawling around looking for recommendations on what to put on it now!

DonMigs85

Got myself a Nexus 7 today.

What's the best way to stream MKV (and other video) files from my PC to Nexus?
Either Plex or just use ES File Explorer. One thing though, hardware acceleration for certain video files is borked. Not sure if the SoC or Android 4.3+ is to blame.

pestul

Is anyone finding 4.4.3 to be a huge improvement? Web browsing even with a ton of gifs in threads is super smooth. It almost feels like a ~25% performance boost.

Top Bottom