• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

GAMERG0D

Ordered a keyboard for my nexus yesterday. I hope it doesnt suck. Should arrive soon. Will post impressions.

EDIT:

http://abload.de/img/1iluju.jpg[/IM

works great. smaller than i expected though. still, i have no problems typing. connecting it via bluetooth worked great too.[/QUOTE]Which keyboard is this? I want it.

Is it still worth getting a Nexus 7 this late in the lifecycle?

So here's where I stand. I have an iPad 3, and honestly, don't really have any issues with it. For the most part, it's nothing more than an ultimate GAF reader, with the daily dab in Facebook, Instagram, and movies and music when on the road. Rarely do I read comics on it. Some times I'll use Flipboard. But mainly it's just GAF and some other sites.

Lately I've been thinking that since it's just a GAF machine, it might be nice to have something smaller and lighter. I've also become fairly fond of Android recently, so naturally I'm considering the Nexus 7.

So, being that I don't have have any issues with my current iPad, should I just wait til the new Nexus hits, or, do I just get one now and give my iPad to my mom, who I'm sure will be stoked to have one. Also seems like I can get a 32GB on craigslist for as low as $200.

Also, is there a worth while competitor to the Nexus 7 that has an SD slot? Something that I can run stock Android on. Is Kitkat officially on the Nexus 7 yet?

the last two released in July so if you're okay with waiting six months, then do it. i can see why you would want to now though, a Nexus 7 is much easier to tote around than an iPad 3.

I think I'm just gonna try to hunt one down today on Craigslist, I obviously just want one. If the new nexus 7 is too much of a holy shit upgrade, I'll just buy again and give the 2013 one to a niece or nephew.

Any sleeve or case recommendations? Plan on always using it naked, just need something for when I have it in a bag.

I think I'm just gonna try to hunt one down today on Craigslist, I obviously just want one. If the new nexus 7 is too much of a holy shit upgrade, I'll just buy again and give the 2013 one to a niece or nephew.

Any sleeve or case recommendations? Plan on always using it naked, just need something for when I have it in a bag.
I use the Poetic Slimline. Love it but I know others here didn't. Will depend on taste.

So Newegg's Ebay store is having a sale on various tablets. I was eying the Asus 700T because I've wanted one for a while, and it's got a nice big 10" screen. But seeing some of the recent customer reviews have kind of scared me into hesitation.

Meanwhile the Nexus 7 is on sale for just $145! That's such a good deal, but I don't know if a 7" is just too small (plus I'm kind interested in getting a Nexus 5 phone making a 7" tablet a little redundant). I want to use this for comics, photo editing, and basic web browsing. I've never owned a tablet before but I've been using my 4" HTC Evo 3D a lot since I've gotten it.

Also, I notice a lot of people referring to their Nexus 7s as the 2013 version, is that the same one listed here?

Jzero

Man, i can't believe i barely learned about Epic Citadel. It's awesome seeing the graphical capabilities of the Nexus 7.

iqvEC7KhjZbIT.png

ib0w6F6dxSbp8i.png

ibzOtZBQfZr8Zy.png

DonMigs85

My idle battery life has been draining a lot faster recently - I'm not sure if Apex Launcher or Avast is causing it, but they're the two recently updated suspects.
Anyone know of a good battery/app monitor?

reKon

Banned
Hey, how long has people's Nexus 7's been idling for when not in use? I'd like to know what people are getting with WiFi always connected and WiFi turned off during sleep...

Also, it would be helpful if you included the rom/kernel you're using. I'm trying to figure out if there's an issue with mine

Groof

Hey, how long has people's Nexus 7's been idling for when not in use? I'd like to know what people are getting with WiFi always connected and WiFi turned off during sleep...

Also, it would be helpful if you included the rom/kernel you're using. I'm trying to figure out if there's an issue with mine
I get maybe like a day and a half usually. Completely stock but rooted. When u had it in flight mode it lasted like three-four days, which is way too little. So I think mine's a bit shot.

VPhys

So Verizon now has a nexus 7 LTE available. Question, is this the same as the t-mobile version? I want to use my Verizon phone sim in the nexus 7, do I have to buy the verizon version and sell my t-mobile one. I would prefer to not deal with the hassle and also loss from the trade.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Stock 4.4.2, unrooted, wifi off during sleep, about 3 days whilst idle, with sporadic daily use. or 1.5 to 2 days with average use.

On a heavy use day where it's my primary web access and plenty of Youtube, about a day's use.

I think I've truly lost my Nexus 7 (2012 model). I just want the name of that Google web application that acts as a device tracker. I have wifi on permanently so anything that can find its latitude/longitude will work, but I don't have Cerberus or anything like that installed on it.

Husker86

If I set WiFi off during sleep it will standby for probably two weeks or more; I never go that long without using it though. With it always on and with admittedly minimal use, I get about 4-5 days.

Stock/rooted but no tweaks besides xposed framework and GravityBox.

However, if I use my Qi charger and don't restart the tablet it seems like there is a huge standby drain. I thought I remembered there being a bug like that but I thought it was fixed. It's either a huge coincidence and something else triggers a drain, or that problem still exists. I'll have to pay attention more closely.

Right now I'm at 2 days 12 hours days with 1 hour screen time, 59% left. WiFi is set to always on currently.

Groof

Reading that I get the feeling I might have to try a factory reset... Either something is bugged or I just have too many things syncing all the time.

Phanta

Anyone else having auto rotate problems? Mine stared last night where the screen won't rotate. I rebooted and it started working again but shortly after it stopped.

I don't want to keep aphaving to reboot just to get auto rotate.

Just want to see if others here have had this problem and any solutions if any.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Google Now launcher is now officially live and on the Play Store, compatible with the Nexus 7 (2013).

No icon alignment issues like the leaked version had when I first tried it, wife is looking at me funny for speaking to my tablet, but either she'll get over it or the novelty will wear off soon anyway :D

Halcyon

Google Now launcher is now officially live and on the Play Store, compatible with the Nexus 7 (2013).

No icon alignment issues like the leaked version had when I first tried it, wife is looking at me funny for speaking to my tablet, but either she'll get over it or the novelty will wear off soon anyway :D

I just put it on mine. Runs crisp. Will probably give me more of a reason to manage my google now stuff.

I wish it was available for my moto g.

Jzero

Going to try it for a bit. I already miss the customization from Nova.

VPhys

So Verizon now has a nexus 7 LTE available. Question, is this the same as the t-mobile version? I want to use my Verizon phone sim in the nexus 7, do I have to buy the verizon version and sell my t-mobile one. I would prefer to not deal with the hassle and also loss from the trade.

For anyone interested the answer appears to be yes.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57618843-94/verizon-unveils-lte-nexus-7-tablet-for-$250/

Further, current owners of the 4G LTE Nexus 7 can now officially activate it on Verizon's network courtesy of a software update that sailed forth on Wednesday. Though users were already able to "unofficially" activate the tablet, the new update comes with Verizon's blessings.

Vyer

Added the Google Now launcher. Interesting change so far.

I thought Android finally got Netflix profiles added? I hadn't used my N7 in a while but I'm not seeing profiles when I just fired up the app.....

I am really conflicted about Amazon right now.

On one hand, they allowed me to return the defective Nexus 7 for a refund a month after the original return date ended. On the other hand, I wanted to exchange it before the original return date ended but the customer service cancelled each return without a reason. I just found out yesterday that there is a limit to the amount of exchanges on an item and that limit is 2.

I'll have to buy another Nexus 7 from Amazon now, since I originally bought it with a Amazon gift card.

When are the new versions of the Nexus 7 usually released? In July?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

MoxManiac

I want to purchase a Nexus 7, the 32gb version, but should I wait for a 2014 version? I really would like one now, but if it's going to be a big refresh...

Groof

I want to purchase a Nexus 7, the 32gb version, but should I wait for a 2014 version? I really would like one now, but if it's going to be a big refresh...

The refresh will probably happen around June-July. If you think you want to wait that long, go for it. No one knows how much of an upgrade it's going to be. But the current Nexus 7 is no slouch whatsoever. Mine still runs and performs beautifully.

The refresh will probably happen around June-July. If you think you want to wait that long, go for it. No one knows how much of an upgrade it's going to be. But the current Nexus 7 is no slouch whatsoever. Mine still runs and performs beautifully.
This. Love mine. Fantastic device.

DonMigs85

I do wonder if they're really gonna ditch the 7-inch form factor and release a Nexus 8.
I also hope it gets a Snapdragon 805, but 801 does seem more likely. I don't think they'll go with Mediatek.

plc268

This one is the best I've seen, download his SNES one for free to see how well they work.

As far as paid emulators go, My Boy! Emulator blows GBA.emu out of the water. Broglia makes some solid emulators, and the GBA.emu is good too, but My Boy allows you to use your device's light sensor for games like Boktai, the gyroscope for Warioware Twisted, and you can link up games two games at once (for pokemon trading) on the same device. Also has local wifi link for multiplayer. It's just an overall better emulator for the GBA.

You can get it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fastemulator.gba

MoxManiac

I don't really need anything fancy; internet browser, internet stuff, media consumption etc. I think i'll pull the trigger now, thanks!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I just picked up one today, first tablet ever. Do you guys have any case recommendations?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Trying out a few other web browsers from the play store really makes it obvious that Google isn't trying very hard with Chrome at all. What's up with that?

Top Bottom